All member reviews for Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer

Popular book heroine gets a bummer adaptation.

Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bylcmaxwell June 11, 2011

Fun and entertaining movie

Saw it with my 7yr old daugher who likes the judy moody books and we both laughed multiple times! We've brought up lines from the movie several times since we saw it. It was really fun.
Parent Written bykbw624 June 17, 2011

NOT Bummer Summer Movie for 6-10yo's!

Given the target audience of the movie, I thought it was just right. I as an adult was simply bored and thought it stupid at times--but I'm not the target audience. My 8yo daughter and her same-aged friend loved it. While not educational by normal standards, I believe it gives kids ideas about how THEY can make their possibly boring summer fun and "thrilling". I think teaching kids how to entertain themselves and being creative in this way sends a positive message. Products are definitely noticeable throughout the movie, but it's not awful--and they're every day items.
Teen, 15 years old Written byloverocksbaby June 16, 2011

6-9

Me and my sister saw it (she's 7) She liked it of course I thought it was stupid but it's for 6-9 years old but older will think it's stupid. A cute movie for kids I have to say .
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2011

Her summer was a bummer! :(

Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2012

Judy Moody and the NOT good movie!!!!!!!!!! :-(

Here is an overview of the movie: Dum,Stupid,Dum!! Don't waste you time!
Teen, 13 years old Written byamig0animad0 March 21, 2015

Awful Movie, but kids love it anyway

Judy is just very mean in this movie, and it's very distgusting that she wears her underwear(without pants) for the whole movie! When Frank was her only friend that was staying with her, she was bummed out, and her thrill point thing never worked. ALSO, when Stink wanted to find Bigfoot, she just stole his idea anyway! This film is just very, very, very disappointing
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2014

Disgusting.

I wish this movie was never made. It was horrible! The horror movie is scary for kids. There is even a scene where somebody's eyeball falls out. Don't believe me? I hope you do. Watch it on Dish, Apple TV Or DirecTV. Besides the eyeball scene, the characters are stupid and Stink's name is disgusting. Watch a better movie like Spongebob and/or Pokemon! This movie is B.A.D Garbage! -10 out of 5 stars
Kid, 11 years old November 3, 2012

Recommended

if you area fan of the judy moody books, you will definetly love this movie. it is one of my favorites and has been since it came out. though there is a scene that they see a zombie film ( which might scare younger children ) but it is very brief and you only see a minute of it.
Adult Written byFilmManiac May 9, 2012

This is a boring waste of time

Kid, 9 years old November 19, 2011

unbelievably poorly done

this movie was terrible! although i enjoy when movies for kids have enough adult inuendo to keep me interested, i am not someone who requires it in order to take my kids to see a movie i think they will enjoy. that said, this movie was too dumb for my 12 and 9 year-olds who actually liked the judy moody books. it has NO climax and the plot is non-existent. i felt robbed and we only paid $3 to see it on dvd. save your money!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMarioMii July 19, 2011

STUPID MOVIE, NOT FUNNY! NOT EVEN RECOMMENDED FOR PRE-TEENS!

They should've rated this 'R' because there is bad language with nasty words. Judy and James even used dung on the sandwich which is disgusting. It was even SUPER SCARY and NOT cool! Do NOT buy or rent this movie, it is STUPID! Buy something better because you don't want to waste your money. It's even WORSE than 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid'.
Teen, 14 years old Written byilovetaylorswift32 June 25, 2011

Judy Moody is really good

This movie is really good! It is about a girl and her friends trying to have a contest on who gets the most thrill points. She learns that you don't have to get thrill points to have a good summer. You just have to be with family. There is some stuff in there that is iffy but not to worry about for 10 and up. For example, someone throws up on Judy. And a toad pees on her friend. And there's poop in a sandwich that they had. Overall, it is a good movie!
Kid, 11 years old February 27, 2015

Really Good Family Movie.

Realistic fiction! Great family movie. The only intense part for young kids would be the zombie movie, and maybe the finding big foot. Otherwise perfect for the whole family.
Adult Written byMamamoonbeam October 21, 2013

Kudos for a messy Judy!

This movie is not a cinematic triumph but it is one of the better films for kids in this age group. We liked that the boys and girls were genuinely friends - not love interests - and that Judy dresses like a real girl her age - sloppy and like she is wearing what she left on the floor the night before (because life is too interesting to worry about having a coordinating outfit). Her hair is never "done" and the one scene with nail polish is not about looking pretty. So much of what is out there for this age group focuses on puppy love and having a "look" and it was refreshing to have other things to focus on.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byccbdmk August 24, 2013

Good for Books Fans to Compare and Enjoy

The Judy Moody fans in our house - ages 5 and 7 - loved this movie - a real treat for them after reading the books. They already had a solid sense of the characters, had been to author readings, etc - so this was just icing on their Judy Moody cake. I don't think it was the movie alone that made it so enjoyable - it was the culmination of being fans. They liked it in spite of any deviations or shortcomings compared to the books themselves. Always interesting for kids to read books then see movies to compare - and this applies to that. And it is so hard to find movies that suit kids who feel overwhelmed by intense emotional plot lines - so this was one they could get through with only a bit of tension. I wish there were sequels for them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 June 15, 2013

Judy Moody

My favorite part is the beginning. I have no idea why everyone keeps rating this movie a bad review, I thought it was very enjoyable.
Parent of a 5 and 15 year old Written byonerowan February 9, 2013

Not a bummer

Fluffy but fun summer movie with a sweet message at the end. I think this movie can start a good conversation with your kids about friendship and may even inspire you to have a "thrilladelic" summer!
Parent Written byFather Dave November 28, 2012

Stop being so Moody with your critiques!

My kids have seen his movie probably 30 times. Given, it is extremely corny, unrealistic, a bit crude at times, and ridiculous. That said, the bright colors and fast pace keep them interested. As long as you aren't a completely boring and overbearing parent, and your kids are smart enough to understand it is a bad idea to jump in a van with strangers and crash cars through lawns sprinkled with children's toys, you and your children will probably have fun with this flick. Expect nothing and enjoy what you get. This movie becomes an addictive winner if you are light of heart and possess a somewhat inane sense of humor. Disclaimer... None of my family read the book. However, if you are looking for seamless continuity between book and film, have you ever found this? This film may prove a bit further off the mark than other book to film interpretations, but who cares? It is entertainment.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow July 21, 2012

Dull, crude and rather unoriginal

I have not read the Judy Moody books, and after watching this movie, I'm not sure I ever want too. The jokes are crude and scatological, and the dialogue is clunky and uninspired. Maybe this will please fans of the book, or just young kids in general. Very young kids. Very, very young kids. Other than that, no. On the positive side, the actors portraying Judy and Stink are a bit talented for their age, and parents will be happy to hear that there is a positive message about not forcing yourself to have fun and just to enjoy the moment. But otherwise, there isn't much good to be found here.
Parent of a 6 and 12 year old Written bygreat reviews April 22, 2012

Beware of the zombies...

It's surprising that no one has mentioned the zombies in this movie. For about 5 minutes, Judy & Frank are watching a horror movie filled with violent screams and actions such as zombies ripping eyes out. Along with that, this is a horrible movie and really not worth it for my 6 year old brother or myself.