Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Jumanji

Some thrills, but may be too much for little ones.

Adult Written byDr.Pepper January 16, 2010

One of the best

This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The only main concern is that it might be a bit intense for really young children. Also there is some very mild swearing (One use of "h#ll" and "[email protected]" each)

Parent Written byTweter2 August 22, 2015

My kids were scared...

My 10 and 7 year olds started watching the movie per my recommendation, but got scared and turned it off. They were afraid that night to sleep. They reported it was too intense. (This rarely happens.)
Adult Written byNish_x October 6, 2012

Implicit Message

Most reviews I have read focused mostly on language and scary creatures, which are both present in the movie. I was more concerned about the conflictual relationship between Alan and his father, and the tragic outcome: A family destroyed, a child who lost his parents, parents who lost their child, and how their own lifes ended with the tragedy. On top of all that, the town's rumor about the father killing his own child.
In the present time, the girl, portrayed by Kristen Dunst, was a compulsive liar who even made jokes about how her parents were killed. I watched this the first time when before I had any children. As much as I loved the movie then, now I see some complex themes that would probably be too much for younger kids.

Parent Written byMaureenH 1 February 1, 2016

Too scary for my children

I watched this with my children. I thought that since it starred Robin Williams, it would be good. About 20 minutes into the movie, my 8 year old turned to me and said, "Mom, if this movie gives me nightmares tonight, it's your fault." We gave up hope of it getting any better.

Parent Written byT Dv June 24, 2012

For a little bitty kid, this is basically a horror movie. So, keep that in mind!

This movie was the right level of drama for our 4 year old because she enjoys animals going crazy and that is basically what is going on in this movie. She likes being frightened by movies. The finer aspects of the plot (time travel and such) are lost on her but she understood that the people in the movie were all caught in a horrible magic game. There is a scene with kids bullying another kid, and we had to talk about that, and there's a crazy old-timey hunter who's trying to shoot everyone, and we had to talk about that. ALSO, there are a couple of scenes where adults say they believe a kid was chopped up and his body was hidden in the walls. That would really freak out some kids. We just told ours those grown-ups were trying to scare the children, and she accepted that and never gave it another thought. Otherwise, it was a fine movie for her--one of the only ones she's asked to see over and over again.

Adult Written byRJD76 November 7, 2011

Good but not for young kids

There is a scene in which Bonnie Hunt's charater (who was a little girl when Robin William's character was sucked into the game as a boy) talks about how she can't believe he is alive because he was really chopped up into little pieces by his father.
Adult Written byLHay July 29, 2018

Wonderfully fun family film!

Our family with kids ages 8, 6, and 4 watched Jumanji together last night. It was a bit frightening at times for our 4 year old, when a plant attempted to eat a small boy, and there is a gun-toting soldier constantly chasing the group, but overall, it wasn't nightmare producing. What I enjoyed the most, was after the film, my kids were running around the living room using their imaginations and pretending the couch was quicksand, etc. It is a movie full of adventure and imagination. We loved it!

Adult Written byHamad A. February 18, 2018

Adult Written byGG87 January 17, 2018

Keeps the kids on the edge of their seats

My youngest two children love this, the 12 year old has outgrown it. First time watching the kids were gasping and got frights but they love it and like to watch it again and again. Old school classic.
Parent of an infant year old Written byKirsten S. January 6, 2018

Good movie, but very intense and pretty creepy

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U January 2, 2018

Maybe a 2-star.

Boring for kids and adults, pointless.

Adult Written byWill E. December 18, 2017

Great movie!

This is a great movie as it delivers in almost every possible way. If your kids are scared or frightened of this movie then they need to toughen up to be honest... everyone I knew growing up watched this movie and we all loved it as kids and now get to enjoy it as adults with our kids now-a-days. The original is the best, a 10/10. The new one with the rock, k.hart, etc. is a 2/10 at best... We miss you Robin!

Adult Written byvalentinD September 20, 2016

jimanji is cool for the kids

Robin Williams the best actor in the jumanji, he miss us. :'(

Adult Written byLuka Keats 100 February 19, 2016

Exciting but frightening and intense for young and sensitive Kids

When the first 3 times I saw this Film I was absolutely terrified because of how the main character gets sucked into the Game and because of all the other situations in the Film. But I've gotten used to it and this is an exciting Film but it might be scary and intense for younger Children or Sensitive Children. The 4 Main Characters are Brave and succeed in saving the day and the World from the attacks and villains from the Game.

Adult Written byMollyH4 December 6, 2015

My Niece Loved It.

I grew up watching this movie, in fact I first saw it at age 6 - when the movie came out. So I figured my niece could handle it at age 5. The story was a tad confusing for her, particularly at the end when time started over. I thought that the spiders and lion might have scared her, but she was not bothered by either of them.

There are some hilarious scenes that she really liked. Especially the scene with the hunter getting launched in a canoe in a convenient store. Also when the cop's car gets taken by the crazy plants. This movie does have a couple mild swear words, "damn" and "hell" being used.
There's also some slight violence involving firearms, a hunter shooting at the protagonists of the film but nobody gets harmed.
If your kids are easily frightened by just about anything, I wouldn't recommend this film until they're at least 7 years old or so.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byvictoria88nz September 2, 2015

Great movie

Both my girls age 4 & 6 loved this movie and watched it over and over again..
However I watched it with them the first time as there are a few scenes that a child could find frightening.. It really depends on the child.. I Ioved this movie as a child myself.
Adult Written byAmaBout January 14, 2015

the movie is good for those kids that are not overly easily scared

i think the movie is great and i use to watch it when i was 9 and 10 but i don't recommend it to kids under 8 because of the man who shoots at people and the herds of animals running wild...
Adult Written bysondim December 6, 2014

Fun But Frightening

My 10-year old enjoyed this movie, but my 7-year old was terrified. She watched it in the morning, but was wide-eyed scared all day, couldn't stop thinking about it. .She practically made herself sick, obsessing about it. She told me, "I know it's not real...but what if it is? I mean, I know it's not, but I can't stop thinking about it." I expect nightmares tonight. She's not usually that easily frightened, but the this one really got to her.
Parent Written byerinw2 October 26, 2014

Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

Special effects are superior

An ok movie. Doesn't stay very close to the book. It was directed by Joe Johnston, who did the effects for Steven Speilbergs movies. The whole film just seemed like a special effects show