All member reviews for Kiki's Delivery Service

A mystical, positive take on girl's coming of age.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byLila Jo May 1, 2011

Good humor, good music, good characters, good story, and great animation make this movie very special.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bychez_geek December 21, 2010

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Great Family Movie

Great family movie. A little slow for the young ones, but still a great story.
Written byAnonymous March 13, 2012

Very positive role model!

This movie is just about perfect. I especially love how the young girl has a job, takes are of herself, and behaves responsibly - more parents should trust their children this way! Friendships in this movie transcend age groups: a teenage girl befriends preteen Kiki, and adults treat Kiki with true respect as a capable human being. Kiki's family, employer, and friends all have faith in her, which helps give her confidence to grow and make the most of her unique talents. The perilous finale is exciting, not scary, as it's clear the whole time that Kiki will save the day. Finally, for pagan families this movie is a great way to begin conversations about the ethical use of magic, as well as stereotypes about witches vs real witches. An all around feel good movie for school age kids that will cheer even cynical teens and adults. I have shared this movie with friends of all ages and everyone loves it.
Kid, 12 years old November 9, 2009

LOVE IT!!

This movie is awsome. I LOVE IT!!!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... October 2, 2009

Great for little kids.

It's not Miyazaki's best work, but it was fun and the kids really loved it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlex L H April 4, 2014

A great movie for the faimily

This is an awesome movie for all ages. It is a very entertaining movie to watch with a good story about a young witch trying to discover who she is. There is no violence or swearing, there are some suspenseful moments when Kiki is on her broom stick but nothing scary that will keep kids up at night. It has many good lessons about helping others and being yourself also many good role models. It is still fun to watch for older kids so if your family has older kids and younger kids this is an awesome movie to watch.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjinx-wolf March 21, 2014

Teen, 17 years old Written byAnimeAelita August 17, 2011

Witch's Delivery Service-cute &funny!

Personally, I loved this movie as a child-perhaps a little too much, ha-ha! It was a favorite for both myself &my grandmother (she actually thought it was super cute, &made me a plain purple dress just like Kiki's!). Witch's Delivery Service (AKA Kiki's Delivery Service) was a good movie, family-friendly, &really cute! It's a movie children can watch &enjoy, as well as older kids/teens/adults. It was a cute story, &great (as most of Studio Ghibli's films).
Parent Written bymyab October 14, 2010

Enjoyed By Young and Old

Both my children, older and younger, love this movie. We usually watch this once a year, and it has never gotten old. It's a story that strikes chords in anyone who's ever felt out of place in the world. Great messages about how being different is okay, and how important friendship can be. It also shows what hard work and a good attitude can help a person achieve. One warning: this movie, though obviously fantasy, does feature witches and witch powers in a real world style setting, and depending on pov may not be appropriate for your household.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 May 31, 2010

Better than Spirited Away

I have nothing to complain about. It's perfect. Kids will love it just as much as adults. It teaches the hardships in life and friendship as well as individuality. Kiki is sweet and a nice girl who has a difficult time fitting in since she's a witch living in a city without witches. That, and she meets other nice people who teach her a lot of useful information about herself. She has a bit of a romance with Tombo, but it stays more of a friendship in the film, but you can see it gets stronger in the credits. Unless a young man about to fall off a dirigible is really that scary (it is concerning, but more on a suspense factor), kids should be fine for it all. The Japanese version is better. (I've seen both) but the English voices make some of the characters sound a bit conceited and rude. Especially the witch after the opening credits. She is not nearly that rude as she is in the English.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMissMama April 7, 2010

Frightening to six year olds

I think this movie overall was ok. Very witchy - not in a fantasy sense. I think the part where the boy is falling and Kiki has to save him goes on for quite a whiles and is frightening - it is portrayed as an emergency scene with people running and screaming and sirens blaring as a blimp goes crashing into buildings etc ... my daughter and a friend (both 6) had eyes wide opened and seemed stressed watching this. In the end all is well, but do our children NEED to see terrifying images happening, I don't think so. All in all probably better than what's usually out ther - but not quite so harmless as say Strawberry Shortcake or Whinnie the pooh.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMamaBearNJ April 2, 2010

If you've ever wished you could fly...

My whole family loved this movie about a young witch trying to get her career started when she's not sure what she's good at. My 6-year-old son especially loved the flying scenes -- Kiki on her sometimes uncontrollable broom, and even more fascinating her friend with his crazy homemade flying machines. Another charming import from Miyazaki! Like a lot of Miyazaki's heroines, Kiki is brave, resourceful, and always eager to help.
Adult Written byapmasonmom April 9, 2008

no villain

My son loved this movie because there is no bad guy. He felt relaxed enough to really enjoy it without worrying about something scarry happening.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byStacyVR February 25, 2015

Another fantastic Miyazaki movie

My two boys have loved this movie for years. Over the years, we have discussed different aspects of the movie -- a child moving away from her parents; becoming comfortable with one's self; self-reliance; friendship; cats; flying machines -- it's really never-ending. I just adore how the protagonist is a strong girl, and it's never made by the filmmaker as a point for the viewer to notice. It just is.
Parent Written bykfw February 19, 2015

we loved this movie!

While I'll admit we were a little worried when witches were mentioned at first, we son realized the witches were not bad/scary. We are so glad we gave the movie a chance. (Background: my 6yo is quite sensitive to scary things, ie doesn't like watching Frozen b/c of the snow monster and wolves, doesn't like Lion King because of the elephant graveyard, etc. We have a hard time finding movies he enjoys and isn't scared by.) This movie was perfect, we are always pleased to find movies with no bad guys and nothing scary to cause bad dreams, and this one did it. My kids loved Kiki. she is a strong and independent good-hearted female character, which I love. The story was interesting and different. I recommend this movie to anyone. (I also have a 4yo who liked it a lot but didn't pick up on everything, which isn't really a problem but is why I said age 5.)
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeFan3000 September 29, 2014

Girl Power

I watched this with my aunt who is all about girl power and the strength of women. I was visiting her once and when we went to a movie store I found this movie and I have really wanted to see it, It was her first time watching Miyazaki and thought it was wonderful. Kiki goes off on her own to live as a young witch and work to help the new community she lives in. Even though it was hard she works hard and tries to do the right thing to benefit everyone. This is probably the best Miyazaki for girls.
Kid, 8 years old July 20, 2014

my favourite movie ever

everyone can what it. not scary except at the end (for little ones) no sexy stuff no swearing other than a few insults. great movie. no drinking drugs or smoking .
Parent of a 10 year old Written byzelita July 12, 2014

Outstanding messages for girls and boys!

Although contents are not offensive and still suitable for younger audience, this is best for older boys and girls. Kiki's strong self-confidence, purposefulness, and kind heart gives parents great opportunities to discuss choices one is faced with while growing and consequences, and that is valid for both girls and boys. The storyline beautifully offers both.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykatiepotterdramabook April 23, 2014

flyingly amazing

i thought it was really cool to watch especially if your in the UK and can't get your hands on this DVD...anyway if you like cartoons and a bit of flying magic you will definitely enjoy this! it's one of my favourite DVD's please watch it