All member reviews for Kingdom of Heaven

Violent movie about the Crusades not for kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written by9001 March 27, 2010

Wonderful movie, but very violent. Iffy for ages 15-16.

There isn't a ton of blood in this movie - but the violence is very extreme, can be graphic, and sometimes very disturbing, such as when a character gets stabbed and then pushed into a fire and you watch him burn. In the beginning, a man says to his son: "I knew your mother. To be courteous, I should say it was against her objections". A man has sex with a woman, but the scene is very brief and comprises of passionate kissing and suggested nudity, but not actual nudity is shown. Some language is used, mainly "b-----d", but nothing like the F or S word. Overall, the sex and language are not big concerns - the main thing is the violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written bykliz104.1 April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byEatNoBeef May 27, 2009

Very good movie that accurately portrays the crusades. If you cannot stand blood and gore then I would not suggest it. If your child is at least 13 he/she will probably be able to judge for themselves. Remember that being over-protective is the fastest way to motivate your child to do inappropriate things. *SPOILER ALERT* There are multiple times where people get their throats slit and choke on their blood. There is a leper who dies and you get a lovely open-casket look at him.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJohanjwalker April 9, 2008

Common Sense Media has underated this! If you liked Gladiator, you'll like this!

Common Sense Media had underated this movie. Its actually a pretty good film. Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, and Alien are Ridley Scott's best movies, and I personally like him as a director. This latest movie is really good too. Very enjoyable. I liked it and I intend to buy it someday. However, this film, like just almost all of Ridley Scott's films is very violent, but for Ridley Scott's standards, this film isn't violent or gory at all compared to Black Hawk Down, where you see all sorts of gore. There is a tiny bit of strong language, and one sex scene which lasts about 15 seconds before fading away. It will go right over most kid's heads. But remember the violence. There is a lot of blood here. I, personally, have seen very many extremely violent movies and never have been bothered by violence or any kind or extreme gore, such as in Apocalypto. (I've seen that, yes, at 13. If you want proof, I'e written a review of it on its Common Sense Media page.) But Kingdom of Heaven is a good movie, no doubt. I liked it. It doesn't beat Saving Private Ryan or Gladiator or Black Hawk Down, but its still a must-see for Ridley Scott fans. This is good stuff. Just know your kid. Is he/she very sensitive to violence, blood and gore? However, if you've seen Gladiator or Black Hawk Down, then this is utterly G-rated.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Much better than I suspected!

I think Orlando Bloom is very intelligent and it shows here. He doesn't use his "beauty" to sell the movie (although, I can't deny, he's gorgeous) there are parts of this movie in which he's hiddeous and he must use his acting and intelligence to portray a man with a beautiful passion for all people.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA May 24, 2010

That was the best movie ever; I loved it immensley.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDman April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written byKing_kong922 April 9, 2008

Gosh! This movie is less violent than AVP and its rated R

I say that this movie is not too violent if was the people that rate films i will rate it PG-13. This movie is sames LOTR 3 but LOTR 3 is more violent than kingdom of heaven. My friends and i enjoyed it they are 11-14 i'm 14 i recommended that this movies if for ages 14 and up
Adult Written byanewman109 December 8, 2011

Kingdom of Heaven=Heaven for the Viewers

*SPOILER ALERT* This fantastic film by Ridley Scott is an outstanding depiction of the double standards, politics, and blood shed that fueled the Crusades. I was thoroughly in love with the theatrical version, until I learned of the Director's Cut. In the DC, we understand the characters and the storyline so much better--it makes the choppiness of the movie nonexistent. Here's the review for the theatrical version: In the beginning, we are introduced to a band of Crusaders passing by a burial alongside the road. We see the form of a woman, covered in cloth--the wind blows her face covering, and we see her pale, cold face gazing emptily toward the sky. The priest (Michael Sheen) then declares her a suicide and the gravedigger raises an axe, to rid her of her head. We see no gore at this point, and it's tastefully done. Later, a man (Liam Neeson) approaches another man (Orlando Bloom), saying: "Some say Jerusalem is the very center of the world for asking forgiveness. For myself, I call it here. Now. I knew your namesake. I knew your mother. To be courteous, I should say that it was against her objections. But I was the lord's brother and she had no choice. But I did not force her. I have forgiveness to ask of you." This seems to imply a rape in the theatrical version--in the Director's Cut, we understand that Godfrey and Balian's mother did care something for each other, as seen by a flashback. There is a scene much later on involving an unnecessary sexual encounter, about a minute longer in the Director's Cut than the Theatrical. But if you're like me, this shouldn't phase you: The fast forward button is a good friend to keep. As for the violence, let me say this: The very act of a parent freaking out over inappropriate things is the first step to a child craving these things. However, if your kid is not ready or is easily upset by accurate depictions of spurting blood, throat cutting, maiming, ect, then they should not watch the violence in Kingdom of Heaven. A man is shot by a crossbow bolt in the throat. Another is shot in the ribs. Many people are slain, rocks are stained red, decapitated heads are piled and left in a heap in the desert, blades flash crimson in the hot sun, men die defending their city. Religion is also discussed in a way I personally appreciate. The main character often clashes with the Catholic priest, who makes self-serving statements, and wishes only to save himself at the cost of the people. The main character thoroughly beats this priest down by virtuous actions. God is often mentioned; I especially love David Thewlis' character, who states that he does not respect religion, but relies on being just, following God with all your being, without getting caught up in self. There is an obvious theme of clashes between the Muslim faith and the "Christian" (Catholic) faith. However, the main character's befriending of Imad (a Muslim), speaks volumes for transcending hatreds. There is also a leper in the movie, a noble, just king covered by a cowl, whose face is revealed to us later on. We see some gnarly decomposition. You may read all of this and decide this is not the right movie for you. Let me assure you of the quality of this film. It's themes are of repentance, life begun anew, loyalty and devotion, and the finding of faith and family. The locations are breath-taking. The fight scene filmed in the snowy woods is captivating (featuring some amazing horseman-ship by the Hospitalier). The writing (Jeremy Irons and Eva Green's lines especially) is so very well done. This movie is a must-see...but, buy the Director's Cut. It's so worth it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byelenmadil April 9, 2008

Really grate movie. It shows how the world looked during the crusades. It shows the Muslims and the Christians and the Jews all living together, and having peacefull life. And it shows how much damage hatred twords another riligion can bring. The ending was a bit decepointing.
Adult Written bystrwberrykis88 April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

There should be more movies like this masterpiece

Let me make something clear before I begin, this movie is one of the most underated movies in filming history. I waited a year after it came out, and then finally bought it(at this time there were many negative reviews on this film). I must admit, the first time I viewed it, it was a bit rushed and fast paced. However, the great scenery, fight sequences, and acting(despite the negative reviews that stated Orlando as being no more that dead wood),soon made you forget about how fast-paced it was. And then it happened. Ridley Scott decided to put out a directors cut of the film. Now, the film was flawless(that is, to those that love epics). The film now had much more character development, and was not at all rushed. Now, at the end of the movie, you felt it was complete. Its extremely sad that many epics today are sold only for the sex, and gore that they contain(Alexander,Troy,300). This film had niether, and it was still very good. The lifesaver of the film however,was the music(composed by Harry Gregson-Williams). The music and the movie are virtually inseperatable. All in all, I wish there were more of these beautiful "clean" epics. It does contain some violence(especially in the extended cut,where blood is digitally added in where previously it wasnt. As well as some head loppings but nothing overly gory or gross). In the original, there is a brief kissing scene(extended by 8 seconds in the directors cut, which cotains another one that is isnt worth mentioning). If you plan on seeing this film(which I strongly advise you to do), watch the original first, and watch the directors cut. You'll laugh at how much you missed. Either way, its still good. Thank God for Ridley Scott
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Fantastic adventure!

In the spirit of "Gladiator" (though not quite as moving), "Kingdom of Heaven" does not fail to please history buffs or action fans.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written bypatthetrick April 9, 2008

this movie was good

the movie had a very good story, but it was a little long. the movie has graphic violence ,like heads being cut off, hot oil is poured on people, and men shot with arrows[blood is shone] there is a small sex scene, but not that bad. all togather a good movie i hope you can see it.
Adult Written bytrojan51 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byceana330003 April 9, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised.

Orlando Bloom has fulfilled the acting promise he's displayed in his previous films. KOH as a film is a wonderful depiction of both sides of the Crusades. Each side has its fanatics, their "bad guys," their seasoned warriors, and deveoping heroes. This is a multi-layered story of honor, ruthlessness, and courage.
Adult Written byPollyRoger April 9, 2008

Not quite Gladiator...

I watched this movie with my mother and 12-year-old sister, admittedly, mostly because I wanted to gawk at Orlando Bloom. But he surprised me. He's a better actor than he gets credit for. This is a good movie, but somehow, it's not quite Gladiator. Strong violence. One sex scene, although nothing explicit is shown. The scene is between the main character, and a married woman. It's implied that the main character's father may have raped the main character's mother. I don't really remember any cursing, except for a use of "bastard", but it is used in the literal sense. Overall, good for adults who like war movies. I know my dad likes this one. But not for kids under 15.