All member reviews for Kit Kittredge: An American Girl

Sweet and engaging adventure for all ages.

Kid, 9 years old December 29, 2009

Sweet

This was great. Children 6- might not understand it though.Abigal Breslin is an amazing actress. She's in three movies that I've seen. I saw this movie with my whole family. This took place in the great depression. ( No offense but in the mess we're in now we might go back a little. I'm not saying this about just Obama. Don't you know our country is in a mess?) So about The Great Depression, yes that was a very tough time for citizens. It was sad. All those people going for bread and soup at that place. People losing jobs. Losing houses. Losing money. Trying to at least have food and water. Trying to live. This movie had great heart and taught you that you can fight. And that you shouldn't ever give up. That's only the education value. The great message is that was that you kinda gotta help and be a troper like Kit. Kit was a great role model. This is great for kids sevan and up if your six y.o is mature enough sure. I really don't see why not. This movie was sweet.
Parent of a 4, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byNerdy_Mamma January 10, 2010
Kid, 9 years old January 24, 2010

Fantastic!

Hi, I'm ten years old and i think this is a fantastic film for ages 8+ it show how life was in the Great Depression. This is a great family movie and i really encourage you to watch it!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bysquinkymom July 5, 2009

Not great for sensitive kids...

Well I know that this was listed as ok for six year olds, but my daughter really didn't enjoy it. There's a lot of heavy, adult stuff in here, including: families being evicted from their homes due to foreclosure and fathers leaving their families to get jobs (and sometimes never coming back). There is a lot of heartache in this movie, and I kept waiting for the plucky little Kit and her friends to pick up the mood, and they did a little, but to my daughter, who started crying 25 minutes into the movie from the relentless stream of sadness, it came too little too late. It was educational, in that she learned about the Great Depression and the banking and financial system, but I'm actually kind of sorry that I exposed her to all of this at the tender age of 6. If your kids would bear up well under similar plot points, go ahead, but just a warning to parents of the more sensitive tykes....
Kid, 8 years old August 2, 2009

a good family movie

i love this movie little kids would love it i watched it with my mom
Parent of a 4, 4, and 13 year old Written bylovinlife3 October 21, 2009

A movie you can watch with the whole family

My 4yr old girls liked it but didn't understand the story line. My 13 yr son liked it. We were able to talk about the Great Depression and how similar things are today. I wish more movies like this could be made. You don't need bad language, violence and sex to make a good movie!
Adult Written bykidsbooks April 9, 2008

Wonderful movie for all ages

This movie was so wonderful. It gives us all a chance to see what life was like in the depression but in a non-scary way. This movie has given us a lot to discuss as a family and shows us all how grateful we should be for all we have. Very entertaining for all ages. My 7 year old daughter, myself and my 67 year old mother loved the movie.
Kid, 9 years old May 14, 2014

Kit Kittredge: An American Girl.

This movie is so great!
Kid, 7 years old July 17, 2010

Good movie for kids who are learning about the Great Depression

It was great that Kit wanted to be a writer! The Great Depression was when lots of people lost money on their investments and lots of people lost their houses. And it is like a mystery about who stole the money and Kits Dad lost his job and traveled to Chicago to find a job. And the bad thing about it is Kit and her friends are doing things with out her parents permisson.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bybluebaker July 1, 2009

Well done, enjoyed by all

I watched this movie with my two daughters, and we all enjoyed it from start to finish. It was a great way to learn about the Great Depression and the challenges of that time, and it also led into a lot of discussions about kindness, courage, and honesty. Very well done, and we will watch it again!
Parent of a 9, 15, and 18+ year old Written byLisarella January 15, 2015

Repeat worthy

I have watched this movie with my daughters many times since its release . We own a copy. I never tire of it, and always get teary at the end. The attention to historic detail is great. There are well known actors in the movie. Also, this AG movie is free of the cheesy moments you'll see in their other movies.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bydelaneygee September 3, 2013

Kit Rocks

I love this movie!!!! it's the best movie I've ever watched!!
Kid, 10 years old March 4, 2012

Great!

This movie is good for american girl fans or just regular girls! I definitely recommend!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bydnpseattle February 19, 2011

Timely movie about keeping perspective during the tough times

Great movie. My 6 year-old loved it. One, teeny tiny minor thing: We did talk about the answer to question, "Is it ok to steal from the rich to give to the poor," though. Should be obvious, I know. But at the end, stealing and keeping for oneself is explained as "being bad." Not a big deal, otherwise.
Kid, 11 years old January 5, 2010

AMAZING MOVIE

This movie sets in the depression time period. Maybe too mature for younger kids. Heartwarming movie and a family favorite.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 28, 2009

i didnt really....

i didnt really like this movie.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bynikij November 7, 2008

Great Movie!!

My daughter who is 9, myself and my mother all saw this movie together and we loved loved loved it. Kids needs to know about things that happened in the past especially from a kids point of few. There were a few things we talked about together afterwards, I wanted to make sure she understood. GREAT GREAT movie. No Junk in it!!
Adult Written bynoreenet April 9, 2008

1030's Tutorial Needed

Make sure you give your child a Great Depression tutorial before you go to this movie. I took my 7 year old, and she certainly did not understand the bank repossessing a house, a Dad leaving his family to find a job, a family taking in borders...etc. I was able to explain all this to her after the movie, but I think a little info on these things before the movie would have been helpful for her to understand what was going on in the movie.
Kid, 12 years old March 21, 2015

An entertaining film with great messages

Since I love American girl I love this movie.It really shows how the great depression effects people such as losing their homes and more.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlwaysSmiling November 10, 2013

Great film

This movie is so cute! I remember watching when I was I think 9. It's really good, but I was scared from time to time. I, being very sensible, cried. But overall, it's a great film!