All member reviews for Kung Fu Panda 2

Panda hero saves the day in surprisingly deep family film.

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byKazmom2 May 28, 2011

Adoptive Families - Be aware of the story!

There is a strong adoption story here, and while it is overall a very positive one, some of it is told in a way that will be hard for some kids. Basically Po finds out that he is adopted (his father struggles to even say the word when he tells him) and is having a hard time trying to understand "who he is" and where he came from. At one point he tells another character that he just found out "his dad is not his real dad" and at another time the villain tells Po that his parents deserted him because they didn't love him. Po also has a dream where he sees his Panda parents and they ask what he is doing there, that they have replaced him with a radish that is quite, polite and even does Kung Fu better than he does. Also - part of the story line is that when the villain was younger he did something bad (really bad) and so his parents banished him from the kingdom forever. This is something my 6 year old has struggled with all night since coming home (what do you have to do to get sent away? Do any parents send their kids away?) and my daughter has never had abandonment issues. In the end, Po finds out what happened to his Panda parents and realizes that even though he had a hard start to life it is who he makes himself into that counts. The overall adoption message is very positive but some of the story getting there will be uncomfortable for some kids. Basically my kids liked the movie but the older one was definately affected by the way some of the adoption/abandonment story was told. We have seen several movies with adoption in them and this is the first to affect her in this way. Be prepared to have some serious conversations if you take adopted kids to the movie and I absolutely wouldn't recommend it for kids struggling with adoption or abandonment.
Kid, 12 years old May 20, 2011

LOVED THE FIRST ONE

Omg i am such a fan of kung fu panda i am definitely gonna see the second.... I can't wait!!!!! po is such a great character and he is an excellent role model for kids old enough to understand the movie. i have absolutely no concerns whatsoever.
Kid, 11 years old April 22, 2011

Jack is Black with more awesomeness and more Kung fu!!!!!!!!!

Kung fu panda 2 was the best movie of 2011 next to Harry potter and the deathly hollows part 2! I loved this movie, Why isn't this movie for little kids? I took my 6 year old brother to the movie theaters to see this movie and my whole family loved this movie! The main message is that family is important, but it’s not always defined by blood: The people who love and nurture you are also part of your family. The film also focuses on the need to let go of ancient slights that can only drag you down and instead seek to achieve inner peace. Po is a great example of someone who mus...Po is a great example of someone who must learn to accept -- and resolve -- complicated personal relationships. At first he refuses to acknowledge some hard truths, but eventually he's able to attain inner peace, and the results are powerful. I am a huge kung fu panda fan and a jack black fan, It was such an AWESOME movie!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymumtaz July 12, 2011

original review

not bad....but the first one is definitely better.
Parent Written bymbum May 27, 2011

Not a replacement for Thor

We went as family, 9yr, 7yr, 4yr boys. We took them to see this rather than Thor as they requested. It had good messages to overcome mean & nasty and lots of action. My kids were bummed we didn't let them see Thor so they weren't 2 happy with movie, but they did say if you liked Kung Fu Panda that would like this. I thought was a great family movie as theatre was full and no kids acting up as they were all engrossed in show.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLia 5 July 23, 2011

Kong fu panda 2

It's really funny and kids love it!
Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2011

awwwwweeeesssssooommeeee

cartoon parent the movie is not for adults seriosly your kid is obviosly very sensitive so dont take your kids to movies like that. maybe you should take your kid to winnie the pooh a greatmovie loved the radish parts i went with another kid my age a 7 year old two 5yearolds andd a 2 year old all love the movie a must see for all ages.
Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written byelisaforgey June 28, 2011

Genocide warning

While there are positive messages in this film, the genocide that is featured in the middle of the film is far, far too upsetting for children. My daughter, who is ten, was traumatized, as was my 4-year-old son, though he did not understand the horror in the depth that she did. The very idea that one (Po) can or should "get over" genocide is questionable, as is the decision to feature such a serious crime in what is supposed to be a funny action film for children. It seems exploitative in many different ways. I and my children loved the first Kung Fu Panda. It was very funny and the characters had a depth and sweetness that is completely lacking here. I would gladly have given this sequel a miss.
Kid, 9 years old June 9, 2011

Kung Fu Panda 2

This Movie Is An Amazing Sequel To Kung Fu Panda But Has More Kicks,Flips And Action.It Also Has Many Family Messages.But For Sure Cannot Be Better Than The First.
Kid, 12 years old June 5, 2011

Epic sequel is fast and furious!

Epic! It is a great sequel to the hit animated movie Kung Fu Panda. This movie's fast-paced and action-packed story gives it an iffy feeling for young kids. Like the first movie, expect lots of fantasy martial arts action and violence including weapon use such as cannons and large mallets. Although it is violent, it still has postive messages and good role models. It can also be educational. It teaches you about teamwork and cooperation. Even though I knew this before, the movie taught you that when a pair of praying mantis's get "married" the female chomps the male's head off. If you were a fan of the first movie, then you will love this sequel!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byParatrooperWife May 30, 2011

Great lessons, great action, GREAT MOVIE!!!

My kids and I just saw this movie yesterday in 3D. It is wonderful!! There were more martial arts than in the first, a couple of slow parts, but over all excellent!! My 7 year old daughter and 5 year old son LOVED it!!! My mother went with us, as well, and all 3 generations had a blast!! Go see it!! You won't be disappointed!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviefan22 May 30, 2011

Fun, kung fu, PANDEMONIUM!

This is a movie franchise that is one of the most creative and interesting series. The bad guys are a lot worse than the first Panda movie, and it is a lot deeper than the first. Po learns that he is adopted, and has frequent flashbacks to his parents. The movie is slightly sad, funny, and full of kung fu! If you're looking for a nice, funny, panda-filled movie, then go see Kung Fu Panda 2!
Teen, 17 years old Written bykrausboy2010 May 30, 2011

Sequel for all ages

This sequel has a lot more laughs than the original. But this movie has a lot more violence and has scarier fight scenes. The villian in this movie isn't as fearful than Tai Lung in the first. But this was an awesome 3-D movie that families will love and can't wait for it to come to DVD
Parent of a 5 year old Written bybuenamama May 29, 2011

Not for young children!

This is a great movie for OLDER kids. It is nothing like the sweet, funny first movie of a panda finding his kung fu destiny. This is a dark, violent film with a sadistic villian, a genocide, an army of wolves, knives and cannons. I wish I had not taken my 5.5 year old. He loved the first movie, and so did we, but he was scared of Ty Lung. This movie made Ty Lung look like a housecat.
Teen, 13 years old Written byuhya May 28, 2011

good

great and positive movie, just sad and filled with kung fu.
Parent Written byCartoon Parent May 27, 2011

Good movie, just not for kids.

This is not for your kids, at least not the same age for the first movie. KFP2 is dark with a true evil villain. He is mentally messed up and is seen killing multiple characters. There really is no comedy in this one, just a few jokes or 'doh'. KFP1 was funny and kept us laughing the whole movie. I wish I didn't bring my kids. But this really is a good adult movie. Good characters, plot and hero-villian story.There is fighting beginning to end.
Kid, 11 years old May 27, 2011

good for youngsters

I haven't watched this movie yet, but it looks fun for young children. I'll probably like it a little bit but it's more entertaining for younger audiences.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byNicoBrick May 21, 2011

The bad guys are REALLY bad, but the fun is non-stop!

Kung Fu Panda 2 is much better than the original. The story is compelling and it's fun to cheer on the panda and his gang as they fight the evil peacock, Shen. The 3D is great! Nature scenes are incredibly deep and beautiful, the water scenes were very realistic. Being a kung fu movie, there is a lot of fighting. This is definitely a PG movie. If you don't want to see battles or any issues about forced parent-child separation, then stay away. Most of it is harmless enough, though. Shen's henchmen, the wolves, do get pretty tough. The toughest parts, however, were those that showed the panda being taken from his parents when he was a baby (he finds out his goose father adopted him, and he is thrown at this). It's no different from a lot of Disney movies, I suppose, but my 6 year-old almost cried when the wolves went after the baby panda's village. Overall, the messages are great - be honest, help each other, love your friends and family, be true to yourself, stick together. It's fun, it's goofy, the 3D is great. Not bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWriterGirl1233 May 21, 2011

Perfect for younger kids

It looks good for ages 6+ mostly boys will see it but tomboys would probaly like it :) I might see it.
Kid, 10 years old May 20, 2011