All parent member reviews for Kung Fu Panda 2

Adult Written bykhan2705 June 11, 2011

First one was better but this is still fun to watch.

3.5/5 In Kung Fu Panda 2, Po is now living his dream as The Dragon Warrior, protecting the Valley of Peace alongside his friends and fellow kung fu masters, The Furious Five. But Po's new life of awesomeness is threatened by the emergence of a formidable villain, who plans to use a secret, unstoppable weapon to conquer China and destroy kung fu. Po must look to his past and uncover the secrets of his mysterious origins; only then will he be able to unlock the strength he needs to succeed. such a delight to watch these wonderful animated movies. Kung Fu Panda was such an amazing movie to watch, i love po and here it is, the sequel. i saw it just few hours ago and i loved it. to be honest it has more action and adventure than the first one but the whole charm and plot developments alongwith the humor was a bit less this time. i would really prefer first one over it but still it was really fun to watch i had a very good time. featuring a diverse cast of Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Dustin Hoffman, Gary Oldman, Jackie Chan , Seth Rogen , Lucy Liu , David Cross , James Hong , Michelle Yeoh , Danny McBride , Victor Garber , Dennis Haysbert , Jean-Claude Van Damme. yes it includes some new additions now and new bad guys too. po learns about his past and that has some connection with a bad peacock who is threatening to destroy China, and the team have to save it. as usual this movie was a big visual stunner, superb cinematography and other technical stuff. i really loved the visual premise of it. good action and adventure. i was expecting a real good movie but i have to rate it lower than the first. its a must watch for those who liked first. story was nice but screenplay could have been better.
Educator and Parent Written byVIlandDad June 11, 2011

Occasionally dark and violent, but overall wonderful sequel

Not as many funny moments as the first, but I agree with review that this is quite a deep and emotional movie as Po discovers his past. Separation of parent/child upset my little one a bit, and the violence when Po's village gets destroyed was quite intense. The movie is visually beautiful and the 3D enhances the movie. I also agree though that the 3D does kick up the battle scenes to a new level of intensity. The scenes where Shifu is achieving inner peace through meditation are truly lovely to look at, and the relationship between Po and his adopted father is especially poignant as both come to terms with Po's past. Overall a wonderful movie with plenty for adults to love.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byeduc8r13 June 10, 2011

A definite family must see!

My daughters (7 and 10) and I thought this movie could be better than the first! They loved all of the goofiness, while I loved the implied themes of teamwork. In the first movie, the Furious Five only accepted Po at the end, ridiculing him when they first met. In the second movie, the Five and Po fight as a coordinated team to do good. There is really no shining star in the group of 6, although Po seems to be the leader. All 6 support each other, care about each other, and look out for each other. The back story on Po is heartbreaking in some ways, although the end sets things up nicely for Panda 3. The messages of family, forgiveness, and that Po continues to find joy in what he does are wonderful for kids. The villain is a little creepy and the fight scenes are a little more intense near the end.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byKA Mom June 9, 2011

Not for all 6-year-olds.

I took my 6-year-old daughter to KFP2 for her Kindergarten graduation. I wish I hadn't. There weren't any real positive messages that were seen by her. She focused on the meanness of the villain, the mother that left her baby panda, and the constant fire and injury. In comparison, the first provided at least some conversation about understanding one's potential and having people around you that believe in you, but this lacked a personal message. The quest for "inner peace" was weak and she could not relate to it. I recommend this for 8 and up. She did enjoy KFP1 and I felt that movie did a better job at being at a 6-year-old level.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymoonbeem16 June 9, 2011

Kung Fu Panda rocks again

My 7 and 10 year old loved this movie. I liked the movie as well. Good message about being yourself, staying true to family.....whether it be blood or not. Good message about teamwork
Parent of a 10 year old Written bylambfamily June 9, 2011

Go see!

Better than the first. Very sweet.
Parent Written byLinVA June 5, 2011

Not funny and too intense

Way too serious and way too little humor for a kid's movie. The movie gyrates between overly-intense action scenes and drawn-out deep dialogue scenes. I don't know who writes this stuff--it's not what my kids are looking for and definitely not what I am looking for. How about a little less intensity in the action, a lot more humor, and some fun friends-at-play scenes?
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byCarrieRogers2 June 2, 2011

Teaches teamwork, but not peace. Violence might be too much for your child.

This movie was tons of fun for me and my two girls. There definitely were some sketchy moments for both ages-- my 5 year old was upset by the violence, {{{{SPOILER coming up}}}} especially when they explain how Lord Shen killed all the pandas in the village to keep the prophesy from coming true. (A soothsayer told him he would be brought down by a panda, and so this is how Po is separated from his parents.) She *really* thought he was pretty awful at that point. The action was pretty intense. I think they didn't really grasp the "no shooting/ using weapons to solve your problems" message. It's a good theme, and the message was pretty well stated. But for children under 6 or 7, that's a pretty tough message to grasp. My kids didn't really understand that Po was fighting Shen to keep him from using weapons to hurt people. Since they know we teach them not to fight, and no "shooting" guns, they didn't fully understand why it was okay for these animals to fight, but they understood Po was good & Shen was bad, so Po was just trying to stop Shen from doing something really bad. So I guess they sort of learned that violence is okay to protect someone, which was not what the movie is supposed to be about. With the intense action and fighting, I am glad I didn't take them to see it in 3-D, because that would have been very overwhelming to such young children. But the messages of loyalty, what it means to be a family, and teamwork really hit home in this sequel. The Fabulous Five do a great job supporting Po, and you can tell (even though he *is* the Dragon Master!) that Po wouldn't be anything without his team, so they are pretty valuable to him. It's nice to see that sort of message in movies sometimes too.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMrs. Crabapple June 2, 2011

Hyperactive, but beautiful.

For me, it was too violent, but that's kind of the point of a martial-arts movie, even an animated one. Like all sequels, this one had a more frenetic pace than the first, but it did establish and stick to a good message and story line. The last moment of the film hints at a third, and I'll go see it - but only if they keep the art director. Honestly, the scenery was so incredibly beautiful, I was wishing the characters would just get out of the way!
Parent Written byMrs. Rico June 2, 2011

Loved it.

I absolutly loved it. We laughed from the begining to the end. Kung Fu Panda II was even better than the first one and had some wonderful messages about family and friendship. There are some sad moments that parents may be aware of because they may affect younger children. The main character is a pecock, but a ruthless one none the less. He may be a bit frightening for younger viewers. Also, there are some issues where Po finds out about some tragedies that occured when he was a child that he had to face. It may be a bit sad for some but the moral behind it was good. It's not about where you started but where you choose to be. (Or somethign close to that. :-)Over all excellent movie. We the adults loved it as did our 7 year old daughter and 4 1/2 year old son. P.S there is a twist at the end. Awesome in 3D.
Parent Written bymcee June 1, 2011

As good as the last Kung Fu Panda

As good as the last Kung Fu Panda - if a bit more violent. Both my kids and I enjoyed in very much. That being said the violence is a concern if kids are very young or very sensitive. My youngest kept asking if ' was dead' after each really violent fight.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bybootsbearmom May 30, 2011

Great movie - for older kids

I think this is a great movie, however. . . when did we decide it was okay for massive weaponry and intense fighting to be in kids movies? I like the overall message but we will not be buying this until my kids are much older (currently 5 and 7)
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfb62 May 30, 2011

Loved the sequel :)

We loved the sequel. It was as funny and heartwarming as the first. People of all ages will love this movie.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byAnneG63 May 29, 2011

Surprisingly good

My 10 year old and her friend saw this and just loved it. The 3D was really impressive and effective-some of the best I have seen. Some very positive messages were in this film about family, friendship and loyalty. Great fun for parents AND children.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byvahsing May 28, 2011

Great art work, pretty good plot, some funny scenes, but a lot of violence

My 11 yr old really liked the movie, however my 6 year was pretty scared. I know it's a kung fu movie, but the plot involves Shen, the evil guy, creating hundreds of canons that blow everything up. Also, there is a real heartbreaking scene of the baby panda being placed in a safe hiding spot by it's crying mother who is then chased down by wolves. The artwork is amazing, and I would recommend this movie for 8+ or a younger child who is not easily upset by violence.
Parent Written byDaisy32 May 28, 2011

Great Movie

If you liked the first movie you'll probably like this one as well, it is slightly more violent due to the creation of the cannon but the characters are the same and I don't think too many kids over the age of 7 would be scared of an evil peacock. The best thing about this movie is the lack of "adult" jokes and sexual innuendo that are too common in most cartoons. Idiot is the worst word in the movie also pretty tame compared to most. If your children are easily scared I would advise caution but both my boys (ages 7 and 9) loved it.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 11 year old Written byBigMel May 27, 2011

Stronger values than expected.

More serious than I thought it would be, but still plenty of laughs and 'cool' action. Cartoon violence, but strong family theme and focus on finding peace within even after a difficult time. Nice father/son and friendship moments.