All parent member reviews for Kung Fu Panda 2

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byKazmom2 May 28, 2011

Adoptive Families - Be aware of the story!

There is a strong adoption story here, and while it is overall a very positive one, some of it is told in a way that will be hard for some kids. Basically Po finds out that he is adopted (his father struggles to even say the word when he tells him) and is having a hard time trying to understand "who he is" and where he came from. At one point he tells another character that he just found out "his dad is not his real dad" and at another time the villain tells Po that his parents deserted him because they didn't love him. Po also has a dream where he sees his Panda parents and they ask what he is doing there, that they have replaced him with a radish that is quite, polite and even does Kung Fu better than he does. Also - part of the story line is that when the villain was younger he did something bad (really bad) and so his parents banished him from the kingdom forever. This is something my 6 year old has struggled with all night since coming home (what do you have to do to get sent away? Do any parents send their kids away?) and my daughter has never had abandonment issues. In the end, Po finds out what happened to his Panda parents and realizes that even though he had a hard start to life it is who he makes himself into that counts. The overall adoption message is very positive but some of the story getting there will be uncomfortable for some kids. Basically my kids liked the movie but the older one was definately affected by the way some of the adoption/abandonment story was told. We have seen several movies with adoption in them and this is the first to affect her in this way. Be prepared to have some serious conversations if you take adopted kids to the movie and I absolutely wouldn't recommend it for kids struggling with adoption or abandonment.
Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written byelisaforgey June 28, 2011

Genocide warning

While there are positive messages in this film, the genocide that is featured in the middle of the film is far, far too upsetting for children. My daughter, who is ten, was traumatized, as was my 4-year-old son, though he did not understand the horror in the depth that she did. The very idea that one (Po) can or should "get over" genocide is questionable, as is the decision to feature such a serious crime in what is supposed to be a funny action film for children. It seems exploitative in many different ways. I and my children loved the first Kung Fu Panda. It was very funny and the characters had a depth and sweetness that is completely lacking here. I would gladly have given this sequel a miss.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byParatrooperWife May 30, 2011

Great lessons, great action, GREAT MOVIE!!!

My kids and I just saw this movie yesterday in 3D. It is wonderful!! There were more martial arts than in the first, a couple of slow parts, but over all excellent!! My 7 year old daughter and 5 year old son LOVED it!!! My mother went with us, as well, and all 3 generations had a blast!! Go see it!! You won't be disappointed!!!
Parent of a 5 year old Written bybuenamama May 29, 2011

Not for young children!

This is a great movie for OLDER kids. It is nothing like the sweet, funny first movie of a panda finding his kung fu destiny. This is a dark, violent film with a sadistic villian, a genocide, an army of wolves, knives and cannons. I wish I had not taken my 5.5 year old. He loved the first movie, and so did we, but he was scared of Ty Lung. This movie made Ty Lung look like a housecat.
Parent Written bymbum May 27, 2011

Not a replacement for Thor

We went as family, 9yr, 7yr, 4yr boys. We took them to see this rather than Thor as they requested. It had good messages to overcome mean & nasty and lots of action. My kids were bummed we didn't let them see Thor so they weren't 2 happy with movie, but they did say if you liked Kung Fu Panda that would like this. I thought was a great family movie as theatre was full and no kids acting up as they were all engrossed in show.
Parent Written byCartoon Parent May 27, 2011

Good movie, just not for kids.

This is not for your kids, at least not the same age for the first movie. KFP2 is dark with a true evil villain. He is mentally messed up and is seen killing multiple characters. There really is no comedy in this one, just a few jokes or 'doh'. KFP1 was funny and kept us laughing the whole movie. I wish I didn't bring my kids. But this really is a good adult movie. Good characters, plot and hero-villian story.There is fighting beginning to end.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byNicoBrick May 21, 2011

The bad guys are REALLY bad, but the fun is non-stop!

Kung Fu Panda 2 is much better than the original. The story is compelling and it's fun to cheer on the panda and his gang as they fight the evil peacock, Shen. The 3D is great! Nature scenes are incredibly deep and beautiful, the water scenes were very realistic. Being a kung fu movie, there is a lot of fighting. This is definitely a PG movie. If you don't want to see battles or any issues about forced parent-child separation, then stay away. Most of it is harmless enough, though. Shen's henchmen, the wolves, do get pretty tough. The toughest parts, however, were those that showed the panda being taken from his parents when he was a baby (he finds out his goose father adopted him, and he is thrown at this). It's no different from a lot of Disney movies, I suppose, but my 6 year-old almost cried when the wolves went after the baby panda's village. Overall, the messages are great - be honest, help each other, love your friends and family, be true to yourself, stick together. It's fun, it's goofy, the 3D is great. Not bad.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bythe social netw... March 24, 2011

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 24, 2014

Saving kung fu one panda at a time!

There are 2 things driving this better than expected, rather darker sequel to the fluffy 2008 original: excellent voice work, especially by Black, Jolie and James Hong as Po's father, who bring a real depth to their character. I can't leave out Gary Oldman either as the sinister Shen, but everyone knows Oldman is always a great villain! The story is predictable, but with a cliffhanger ending, sporadically really funny moments and beautifully filmed kung fu action, it's a very fun experience.
Adult Written byWill loves movies June 1, 2013

Pandemonium.

Kung Fu Panda 2, the follow-up to the 08' flick, is an action packed movie with a great message and a positve role model. The message is that no matter what you did in the past. What matters is what you do right now. Po, like the first movie, still shows determination making him the postive role model. As said earlier, this movie is more action packed than the first one. Can't wait for the third movie. Thanks for reading.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bythe names Bond December 15, 2012

My family found it quite enjoyable

Well, this is a lot different from the original, and this movie balances humor and fighting very well, this movie was outstanding. But it is not really like my son knew what was going on, this movie is still great, end of story.
Parent Written byAmandamae333 August 10, 2012

AWESOMESAUCE

Really great for kids and parents... I cried a little at the end but I was feeling emotional that week.
Parent Written byalicia37 March 20, 2012

This is a really awesome film !!!

Educator Written byRynMa March 16, 2012

Very Funny... a little intense...

This was even funnier than the first movie! If that is possible! I watched this with my family, and we enjoyed it immensely! A little intense for younger children, but that is up to your discretion what your kids can/cannot handle!
Adult Written bykeeyanoosh February 18, 2012

kung fu panda 2

awesome movie
Adult Written bymoviecrtic18 February 4, 2012

This movie was awesome and more action-packed than the 1st,it showed more adventures and exciting scenes I have seen in history,and the comedy was really funny,I totally recommend this movie for this summer kung fu entertainment for dazzling Visual Effects,exciting action scenes and a big story.

The ending was awesome doing inner peace and the beginning was the best protecting the muisicans village.
Parent Written byMewmewfancycakes January 30, 2012

Amazing, simple amazing!

Great movie. I rented it and my 12 year old, 18 year old, and I all enjoyed it! This movie is funny, has good role models, and a good message. For any age! This is one just as good as the first if not better. I must say the villain (Gary Oldman) really is a villain. And Po (Jack Black) learns that he is adopted which some families may want to talk about that to their younger kids. The reason why I put violent is not that any gory scenes are here but there is a few hand-to-hand combat scenes. Although I would not call them scary at all. Still the story about Po being adopted isn't for every child, so be aware of that. I recommend it.
Adult Written by413804 January 29, 2012

good

Just as good as the first one. Po is a great example to kids.
Parent Written byairw0lf January 10, 2012

Too Evil & Dark Villain, not for youger kids.

I'm surprised that the main review mentioned nothing of the very dark & evil villain in this movie. As others have commented this film is too dark for younger kids and failing to point this out to me is a huge omission. My 6 year found the villain too scary much more than the first and the humor is not as much which emphasizes the dark scenes. The first one I liked but thought it was too mean-spirited at first and the second one's villain is too dark. Overall good for older kids and hopefully the third time's a charm for this series if they make one.
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Kung fu panda2

the dragon warrior sequal turns out to be pretty good animation/action