All member reviews for Labyrinth

Surreal coming-of-age fantasy -- with Muppets.

Parent of a 6, 11, and 13 year old Written byshadowfc May 5, 2010

Great fantasy movie with some good messages

Other than a few mild curse words, this movie was completely family friendly. I agree with the other viewers that some parts can be frightening for younger viewers, but use your descretion. My 6 year old was fine watching it (she has seen Harry Potter also). My kids give me a really hard time about picking these movies from the 80s because they feel they are dated or cheesy. They absolutely love this movie and asked me a million questions about David Bowie. I think my 11 year old has a crush on him now. This movie has great messages for young kids about life and independance, as well as overcoming challenges in life and not giving up.
Adult Written bySarah Grace September 6, 2012

Gives me the creeps

Goblins. What else can I say? This movie might give some poor small child nightmares....
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 March 25, 2011

One of My Favoirte Films!

David Bowie's songs and Jim Henson's puppetry make this film a sure winner. Characters like Hoggle, Ludo, and Sir Didymus will delight young children and should get some chuckles out of adults.Sarah learns the errors of her ways, and Jareth is a sympathetic villian that can love someone. Goblin City violence is very mild.
Adult Written byMadeiraDarling May 26, 2014

Fun For Kids And Adults

This was one of my favorite movies as a kid. It scared me a little, but I loved it anyway. Jareth is one of my favorite villains (and okay, David Bowie is one of the reasons this movie is fun for moms, hehe) with its charming musical numbers, whimsical puppets and a positive message about learning to overcome adversity and loving your siblings (even when they're being difficult). It's a great coming of age film, with an awesome heroine.
Parent of a 6, 6, and 7 year old Written byJava Mama August 6, 2012

Kid friendly, but an overall terrible movie.

Based on all the reviews I figured it would be a fun movie to watch with our 6 and 7 year old boys. But it was almost unbearable to sit through the entire movie, with its rambling plot, annoying protagonist and David Bowie showing up every few minutes in disturbingly tight pants crooning melodies that felt very ill-fitting with the atmosphere of the movie. My kids didn't notice any of this, though, and seemed entertained enough. There were scenes that included large bird-like creatures that humorously swapped out body parts, but then chased the girl, threatening to take off her head,and one in which she was surrounded by masked figures that might be scary for smaller children. But there was humor peppered in throughout the film that took the edge off anything too intense. Positive messages regarding friendship and family were portrayed, though weakly. Overall, a seemingly appropriate family movie, but be warned, it is sickeningly cheesy!!! If it wasn't for my kids, I would have turned it off 1/3 of the way into it.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byParatrooperWife October 20, 2009

We like it...Sensitive-child families may have second thoughts...

This is a movie that my sister and I grew up on. I still love watching it, but can see the negatives now that I'm older and have my own kids. Sarah's character is always complaining...seriously, it seems constant the whole first half of the movie. Not good for kids that emulate what they see. At the beginning of the movie, Sarah's brother is taken and in a darkened room, goblins tease and frighten the girl. During all that, the music is a little creepy and there is a thunderstorm. My 6 year old daughter, who isn't scared of movies...even the first 2 Harry Potter movies...is terrified by that part!! It's the only movie she actually has a fear of a scene. My 4 year old son is completely fine with it all, though. If you don't care for gassy humor, you'll have to forward through the Bog of Eternal Stench. We think it's completely hilarious, but I'm sure many families will be offended! There are a few parts, beginning/middle/end, where someone bribes or tries to bribe another to get them to do what they want. The Goblin King even says to Sarah in the end, "Love me, fear me...and I will be your slave." What!? No, I didn't get it as a kid, but really don't like it now. My kids don't get it, so I'm ok. Some sensitive kids might get upset with this furry, skinny goblin group that take their body parts off, play games with them, do weird dances with them, etc. Then, they run after Sarah to try and take her head off. My kids think the guys are funny, but sensitive kids may really be scared!! Sarah also gets drugged by a peach and some kids might wonder what exactly is going on. It all sounds bad, but because I grew up with it and my kids have a strong sense of reality and fiction, I'm ok with them watching it. You know what your children can handle. I suggest you watch it first and decide for yourself.
Parent Written byJae January 29, 2010

Excellent movie!!

Absolutely love this movie! There are some scary scenes with Muppet monsters, otherwise, it's a delightful, fun, fantasy movie.
Parent Written bySunlover37 April 4, 2015

Nightmares for years to come

My family and I decided to have a fun Saturday movie night, and having heard this to be a loved classic, decided to watch the film, which was in turn one of the worst mistakes of my life. The movie is full of horrific 80's music, terrifying creatures, a plot that can only have been thought of while doing some sort of illegal drug, and not to mention a disturbing David Bowie. All four of these things gave not only my children nightmares, but also me and my husband. As a result everyone in my family can no longer listen to any form of 80's music without feeling uncomfortable with the fear that David Bowie will appear to steal away my children and sing to us.
Kid, 11 years old February 27, 2011

iffy for ages 5-7

Some very mild language and violonce that kids under 8 should not see. They use muppets throught the show which got kind of creepy.
Kid, 6 years old July 25, 2011

Stinky Bog not that scary

The only part I thought was kind of weird was that part where that stinky spot had such a scary name. But it wasn't really...it didn't have a scary death at all. It just had where you go into it, it just makes you stinky. That's it. Lucy, 6 years old.
Parent Written byDuncanDerund May 10, 2014

Labrinth

Great fantasy movie. Children in peril at times. Goblins attack fast pace. D*mn h**l and s**t. Mild action of sci-fi family movies
Adult Written byFaille April 9, 2008

Fine for kids, just not that good

The puppetry is fun to watch, but seems funny rather than scary compared to today's effects. Jennifer Connelly is not very good (whiny loud/whiny quiet are her two modes) and it's more of a musical than I was expecting. The plot moves slowly and doesn't resolve that well. My son, aged 9, found it suspenseful, but couldn't even give it 1 thumbs up.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Scary goblins!

I think the movie may be appropriate for kids, but the goblins are really scary. They made my brother cry and gave me nightmares.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymkamat September 4, 2015

Our son was enthralled!

I had seen this movie as a teenager, and thought it maybe interesting for our son. He is very detail oriented and loves intricate stuff, so I thought the puppets and the various props in the movie would be interesting for him. I was right, and he spent the entire movie glued to the plot, the puppets and the making of the movie segment. He was surprised at the amount of detail and energy that went into the various characters.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymisumi April 4, 2015

great family film with mild scariness

This is a lovely fantasy film worthy of watching. David Bowie plays the goblin king and I am a huge fan of him. There are some tense scenes that can scare young kids.
Parent Written byrolandobabel June 14, 2013

Great movie, little restrictions

This is a good children's movie, but it can be frightening at times
Parent of a 5 year old Written bylaurfletch October 20, 2009

kids laugh at the stinky parts

I thought it was an adventure and less scary than scooby doo cartoons
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written bybrettyd December 30, 2012

spectaculary nice and odd great story

a beautiful film, well made puppetry film with amazing artwork, brief summary : a girl babysitting her younger toddler step brother is deep into a book called 'the labyrinth' she wishes for a goblin king to take the scraeming baby away, he comes, takes the baby, tells her, you have a certain time to find the baby in my labyrinth or your baby brother will be come a goblin, she meets a few friends on the way and finds her brother,, there is a bit of violence but nothing too much, some fire addicted monsters taking each others heads off and trying to take sarahs off too, goblins under the bed, various fight scenes, a few positive messages, i clicked the drugs and drink for a beer scene in the labyrinth and david bowie can be seen snorting an imaginary line of cocaine in the dance magic song if the video is slowed down, but it is otherwise unnoticable, a few funny explosions here and there, some funny moments in the film too, my 6 year old watched it , wasnt keen on the goblins under the bed, but often asks to watch it and listen to the amazing soundtrack that it has, and watch clips on youtube, know your childs limits!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 20, 2015

the best non Disney kid's movie I've seen since the secret of nimh.

I just got finished watching this on Netflix what seems like seconds ago and it just blew me away. I'm also a big David bowie fan from ziggy stardust to the thin white duke to his 8Os pop days. There are really only two parts in this film that I thought would scare little kid's and these scenes are the part where Sarah finds out that toby has been taken and the part where she falls down a pit that has talking hands that make faces. I was surprised at how much language was in it as well. The d word is said five times and h* ll is said a couple times in the lyrics to the song underground. All in all this movie was just absolutely incredible and 7 and up can see it if they don't get scared easily and know not to say bad words. Hoggle was also my favorite character in the film. I liked how he was always helping Sarah at the end of the day. This movie also made me feel like a kid again.
Kid, 11 years old November 7, 2014

Good !

I think it's appropriate for all ages ! It's a really good movie with a really good message and characters ! My favorite is Ludo because he is so cute and nice and since I saw him I liked him then when she said she wished he is what he seems I thought he would be mean and I hated him for that 1 second but then I got my hopes back on he is an amazing character I adore ! Sarah and Toby show amazing sibling appreciation. Some scenes might be scary for ages 5 and down but other its ok (iffy for 6 yo) anyways as my rating says on for 7 & up 4 star good ! It's not a ''have to go watch'' movie but It's good to waste/spend time with and family wise ! (Sorry for being too long I love this movie)