All member reviews for Lady in the Water

More soggy than scary. Still, not for youngsters.

Age

Teen, 13 years old Written byWildAnatolian November 1, 2013

Lady in the Water

This is a very interesting and unique story that captivated me and my family very early in the film. While there is some very sad scenes and violence, it is nothing a twelve year old can't handle. There is some complex dialogue, the storyline is obvious enough that it's not too hard to follow. I personally loved this movie, with it's originality and creativity, it is a great choice for families with mature preteens.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 June 18, 2013

Silly and poorly made

Letter Grade: F “Lady in the water has some great actors in it; but the movie ultimately is silly, slow paced, uninteresting, poorly directing and the twist at the end isn’t good either”. -I didn't like it at all.:(
Teen, 14 years old Written byBrandon4News April 11, 2011

Underrated thriler with little intense violence.

Violence- 5.5/10 Overall Quality- 9/10
Kid, 10 years old March 13, 2011

not bad considering the director

Very excitig and quite good thre are some awsome specail effects and good chraters.a bit volient but good
Kid, 11 years old December 28, 2009

Good not for the faint of heart though

A fine movie if your not easily scared
Teen, 13 years old Written byShesaFate May 13, 2009

It's not as bad as you think, really

I saw this when I was 10, and wasn't scared at all. One of my favorite movies. Most kids 10 and over can watch it, some kids younger, it just depends on how they react to this kind of thing. Oh and we can't know for sure whether that one guy was killed or not, because there is no sure answer in the movie. Great movie.

A timeless fairytale comes to life...

M.Night Shyamalan's film, Lady in the Water, in an interesting plot and enjoyable characters, told of a lost sea nymph and how simple everyday neighbors became involved in something more, something told only in a fairytale.
Adult Written bysandywabbit April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byfilmfan232 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byPal101 April 9, 2008

Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

cool!!

M night shmalon is a master storyteller!!! still,movie shoud've been rated R!!!
Adult Written bytlynn April 9, 2008

M.Night does it again!!

This movie got the shaft by critics. My husband and I and our 12 year old son went together and all of us enjoyed it. I was weeping at the end which was very touching for those of us who have suffered a loss of a loved one. We found it intriging because of the "mystery" of the lady and the unusual camera angles and unpredictable dialogue. Have always enjoyed M.Night's movies. Maybe we are biased because of that. This movie is very much worth your time if you like art (something different than your average hollywood formula) in movie form.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul 2.0;... April 9, 2008

This is another great movie from my good man Shyamalan

OK, I've been hearing a lot of complaints about the movie, and it seems like the biggest one is that either people think the plot is silly, or that they can't buy into it. I think the reason this problem arose is because most people don't realize that this movie is supposed to be more of a modern-day fairy tale than a suspense movie. Actually, Shyamalan based this movie on a bed-time story that he told his kids and recently published into a kids book. So if you go looking for suspense, then of course you aren't going to like the movie. Personally, I loved the movie and am going to buy it when it comes out to put with the rest of his films. But just in case my theory is wrong, I feel that I should inform you that I am probably one of Shyamalan's biggest fans. And not just the kind that like "Sixth Sense" and all-- I'm probably one of the only teen fans that know he actually came out with two movies before "Sense"-- "Praying With Anger" in 1992, which was an American-Indian coming of age story, and "Wide Awake", which was about a ten year old looking for prrof of GOD's existence. Both of those I liked, especially "Awake". And the fact that I also loved "Unbreakable"-- well this gives you an idea if you were wondering why I gave the movie 5 stars. Content-wise, there really isn't anything to be worried about other than some very mild profanity and some mild violence involving the scrunt. So please, go see this in the mood for a good fantasy story, rather than a suspense movie. If you want suspense, go watch "The Ring", because none of Shyamalan's movies are remotely scary, but they are quite excellent films.
Adult Written bydeafy05 April 9, 2008

its too much violence for kids today. They need any more bad ideas

This should only be for adults, even for the kids who are 17 + with an adult. Other than that, its not good for the kids because one of them could have 'water fear', 'water nightmares', or their trauma experience. Its best to have this for an adult. violence is what we need to control today because too many kids are killing each other.
Adult Written byCharke April 9, 2008

Just go see it!

Just go see it. That’s what I tell people. That’s what I did. I'd like to think that's what you should do. For those who need more, read on. Shyamalan provides us with again with what he always does - something new and original. Unlike his other movies this one does not depend on his trade-mark surprise ending which has, at least in my opinion, disappointed at least once. There is a surprise ending but it is more charming than shocking and caps the story off brilliantly. More like Unbreakable than the Village, this ice-cream cone simply has a different flavor at the core, not sour bubblegum. Throughout Lady in the Water I felt a certain pleasant nostalgia. It only struck me later that the movie bears a number of similarities to the very successful Never Ending Story (the original movie, not the string of progressively more confusing sequels). Lady in the Water took the deadly risk of self analysis and capped that off with a bit of morbid comedy when the reviewer came face to face with the reviewed. I think it worked. I really enjoyed the elemental theme of water which was so strong throughout the movie. I really enjoy water, swimming, life guarding and teaching swimming lessons but I guess it's not for everyone. Water seems to play an important part in Shyamalan's movies. I wonder if he had a near drowning experience. This is a fascinating way of dealing with such an issue. So much wasn't said in the movie and that I really appreciate. He gives the audience a little credit and doesn't spoon feed us. It was never said that the monster was afraid of water, yet all the time it was clear that it was. The water seemed like a protective barrier. It was a symbol and a shield, and a surprise to make you jump out of your seat. Many elements were just disturbing but there was a clear sense of right and wrong and morality. The guardian and his weightlifting were just bizarre and that is what I remember most strongly about the movie because I've never seen that before. The morality of the healer and that the movie did not need gratuitous adult scenes to work was a welcome relief. I thought it was a fantastic movie. I'll have to agree that it is not for everyone. It is only for people who dream.

I'm not so sure...

My friends tell me to go see this movie, and I'm not sure. One boy tells me that, after he saw the movie, he had dreams that he saw the lady just standing there, staring. I don't like nightmares, and I try to avoid them at all costs. I don't want to see this movie.
Adult Written byChristc878 April 9, 2008

better than I thought it would be

The first reviewer, Charke, said all that I would say and much better than I could say! The story line drives this movie, not the scary scenes. There is no gore, no swearing, and no sexual content. I loved it.
Adult Written bynothing April 9, 2008

Teen, 17 years old Written byDreamCatcher68 April 9, 2008

Mediocre at best.

This is one of M. Night's WORST movies. I went to this with my BF, and from watching his other films, we both expected a good suspense film. Not so. There's just a lot of silly fantasy role playing (as I considered it), arguing amongst characters, and an exhausting plot that fails to please in the end. I found it to be cheesy, and the "narf" looks remarkably like a female version of Frodo. Pass this movie up, it's just 2+ hours of boredom.
Adult Written byjenncraw April 9, 2008

Not too scary

This wasn't his best, but a good one. A little intense in some parts, and a little disconnected at the end. But definately worth seeing again.