All member reviews for Lars and the Real Girl

Sex doll takes center stage in quirky comedy.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul 2.0;... April 9, 2008

I really don't understand how CSM can rate this only two stars

Here is a beautifully simple film that doesn't try to be anything or try to do anything other than tell an original story. After seeing trailers for it on an indie movie site, and seeing what a great cast and concept it had, I looked forward to this movie greatly-- and I was not disappointed at all. There was a simple just pleasure and spark of movie magic that came from the film-- something that movies seriously lack nowadays, even the greatest of films. I wish I could talk about it, but it feels like that magic is destroyed picking apart the film. What I will say however is that this film is one of the best films this year (it easily outshines movies such as the over-hyped Michael Clayton or the pathetic Saw IV), and is very well-worth anyone's time to invest in. (I wrote that part back in October of 2007 for another site, so that's without taking such incredible movies as No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood.) That being said also, as another review put it on another site, the movie is also about how the community comes together selflessly to help take care of someone who needs their help-- something that is obviously a good message. And while some people have complained that the film was too calculating in its sweetness and emotion, but I think the only people who would have that kind of problem with the film are those who actively analyze a film while watching it. If you want a sweet, funny but also serious, film that works as a breath of fresh air amongst all the somber movies that are so sure they are saying something, this comes highly reccommended.
Adult Written byddue2be April 9, 2008

a must see

it is the exact oposit in what you think it is, it is touching and really makes you think, the only explict thing is the doll itself. It is less of a comedy and more of a drama but there a few funny scenes, Ryan Gossling did an amazing job this was on of the best movies i have ever seen! i would definatly take kids 11 or over to see this, trust me it is not that bad! Absouloutly not explict i dont think there was more than 2 curses in the movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 27, 2012

Quiet and thought-provoking

Ryan Gosling is really what's worth viewing this quiet, if a little overlong and repetitive indie movie. His performance has great nuances (notice how he blinks so hard in every scene like he's holding back painful memories) and Mortimer is great a woman who just wants to help him. It's worth a good quiet, Sunday view.
Adult Written bySam Marrick March 13, 2016

How the heck is this aged the same as Rambo 4 and The Departed?!

No objectionable content other than a sex doll who is never refered to as such. Sophisticated subject matter, a tender sympathetic central performance, surprisingly potent unpretentious drama.
Adult Written byslickjdj April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byPotatoTaco99 June 1, 2013

To Laugh, or not to Laugh?

'Lars and the Real Girl' is one of the few movies ever made which you leaves unsure whether you want to laugh like a maniac or bawl like a baby. It is a beautiful, quirky movie like no other, and will leave you thinking about it for days. The positive role-models are the townspeople, the way they support Lars' delusion and go along with it, and love him nonetheless. It's a good lesson of unconditional love. Swearing isn't used excessively, but there was a few words here and there. Despite the doll herself, raunchiness is kept to a minimum. However, I believe you must be a bit older to appreciate this movie, seeing as some of the elements and emotions go pretty deep. It depends on the person, but I think around 13 is a good age. In order to truly enjoy this movie, you have to be in a certain state of mind--one in which you aren't expecting your run of the mill Hollywood movie. But it is DEFINITELY worth seeing.
Adult Written bywonder dove December 28, 2012

Cute flick with meaning!

Lars and the Real Girl is a beautifully told story about a painfully shy guy named Lars who's basically a loner and dislikes being around crowds. He's never had a girlfriend but a nice girl at his work appears to have eyes for him. When his co-worker tells Lars about a site selling life-sized sex dolls, Lars secretly orders one and calls her Bianca. Although, he never actually uses her for what she was built for, Lars believes she is his girlfriend and introduces her to his brother and sister-in-law. Things get funny when they think he has completely lost his mind but eventually they all go along with it and treat Bianca like a real human being. Luring Lars into taking his girl to get regular "check ups", he is actually the one getting help by talking to a psychiatrist and addressing his own real problems deep down. It really is a touching movie, but it's on the slow side. Ryan Gosling is lovable! No real violence, sexuality is mild, language is very mild, some smoking. I knocked one star off due to the pace of the movie which is kind of slow, but the actual story is excellent to curl up to in a blanket with hot chocolate :) Adults would appreciate it more but safe for 14++ crowd.
Adult Written byyetijones June 27, 2009

Common Sense is Wrong Again: A Perfect Film Tainted by the Hands of Parent Reviewers

"Lars and the Real Girl" (2007) is a film directed by Craig Gillespie and written by Nancy Oliver. The story focuses on a man's emotional disturbances and how it affects not only his life, but the community's as well. It is a beautiful and very special message about the disparities, flaws in nature, and all the trivial quandaries we face as a culture, and how it is essential for everyone to come together in the end, even for just that one person. "Lars" is a spectacular tale for persons and children of a slightly older age, not due to questionable material ("Lars" is clean as a whistle, with maybe only one or two curse words throughout), but due to the complex moral, social, and emotional issues the film plays with, some of which might just be too far above your child's comprehension level at an early age. Also expect to see a LOT of symbolism in the film. If you have read "How To Read Literature Like A Professor" by Thomas Foster, this film will be constantly screaming symbolism at you :D. A beautiful tale, for all ages who can understand the deeper side of humanity. 5 out of 5 stars, indefinitely (I wish I could give more).
Adult Written byBoxscorboy April 9, 2008

Great movie, nice unique message

I and my family loved the movie. Not at all what you think. The sex doll is downplayed, the man's emotional issues are the real story. Loved it!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bysweetbeat April 9, 2008