All member reviews for Lee Daniels' The Butler

Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 August 17, 2013

Lee Daniel’s The Butler is truly uneven, but is at times emotionally involving

The positives are the acting which is good (All of the performances are good, but in my opinion, not amazing), the editing (Very good, especially during the first half), the dialogue was solid (At times good, and is more than passable). The negatives are the sentimental messages (It tries to make key points about saying how hard it was for African Americans and getting their freedom. Also seemed to say that Vietnam was wrong.), the uneven script and the deliberate pace (was also uneven and lost steam at about the halfway point). Not as Good as Lincoln or The Help but still passable. I would recommend this film. (Overall it's just Good, but not Really Good-Hence the 3 star rating)
Kid, 12 years old September 15, 2013

Touching Movie and Positive Message.

I am 12, and I went to go see this movie with my family. Though this review say that it is not good for children under 13 to see, I think it would be better for 12 and up to see it because it has such a good message. The Butler does have a lot of "bad words" but being older and more mature I think you get over the harsh language. The movie being about what it is had some very graphic images in the 1st half of the movie not the whole thing. Though some parents might have different ideas on the movie I have nothing but positive things to say about this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 August 21, 2013

The Butler is too Long

At the end of the day The Butler succeeds in good performances but that is it. The story in The Butler tries to be very dramatic and it works in some places. Except for that this movie wasn't that great. There are some tense and sad scenes and you learn a lot but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Overall if you want to know more about black history then you should see this movie. In form of entertainment it really depends.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 August 31, 2013

Long, disturbing, emotional, inspiring, great.

The Butler is a long, disturbing, but inspiring movie. Forest Whitaker plays Cecil Gaines, a slave who watched his father get killed brutally when asking the master what he did to his wife to hurt her. After many years Cecil decides to leave the farm, and robs a bakery, but instead of being rude, the bakery owner gave him a job, to serve. Many years later he gets a call from the White House asking him for another serving job there. I won't give any more of the story away but The Butler is great for history lovers but pretty much something sad or racist happens in every scene, like African Americans are treated in some of the most gruesome ways possible like being hanged, sprayed with fire hoses, shot at, attacked by dogs, and one scene contains a part in history when the KKK attacks and blows up the freedom bus. It is a great movie but often emotional. If you are very sensitive but want to see this than you better of watching the Jackie Robinson movie 42 which is also very good. Mature 12 year olds might be ok but definitely reccomended ages 13-14+ (there is also a lot of language and some innapropriate references). It's like a giant enjoyable history lesson. Grade A-
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 29, 2013

"Butler" serves its purpose, but doesn't elevate

Without at all diminishing what the extraordinary men and women did for the Civil Rights movement, this movie is surprisingly predictable. Daniels presented an electric filmmaking style with "Precious," and even though he gets two Oscar-nom worthy leads from Oprah and Winfrey, the gimmicky casting of A-list stars cameo-ing as presidents was distracting. That said, expect to see it in awards season!
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE September 30, 2013

The Butler is an Extraordinary movie but Very Mature

If you take a kid to see this, 95% of it they won't understand... *SPOILER* from the mom being raped in the first scene (not shown) to the assassinations, to intense violence towards African Americans, this really isn't a kid movie but an oscar worthy and incredible movie... *you'll cry the entire movie*
Kid, 10 years old March 2, 2014

Great movie too mature for some

This is a great movie about seggregation and the bad things that went on during that time. Honestly though, it scared me a bit. Some parts were scary or violent, and others were just horrible. However, this is a great and very moving film. Any mature 14 year old and up can watch this.