All member reviews for Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Sweeping owl fantasy adventure is impressive but intense.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bymattsdad September 20, 2010

A war movie for kids?

Yes, it's got fluffy looking, beautifully rendered owls but make no mistake it's a movie about war and has long, intense scenes. I would have preferred a bit more character development and a little less action for my son. As with many movies, I am left wondering who the target audience for this movie is. Kids over the age of 14 aren't going to see "a movie about owls" and children under 10 are going to find themselves exposed to war themes and scenes.
Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2011

this movie is awesome!
Kid, 12 years old September 26, 2010

a bit violent

It was inspiring, but a bit violent for a kids movie. If you make the owls humans a not animated it would be rated R.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjudybee October 30, 2010

Good, but one particularly disturbing aspect for my 7 year old

My 7 year old an I enjoyed the movie, but it was a little darker than ideal. The most disturbing thing that left the biggest impression w/her is "moonwinking" (in which the kidnapped baby owls forget about their families, and their eyes turn all white.) We've heard about that one at a few bedtimes...
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bykinderqueen September 26, 2010

evil images for small children

I think owls are really beautiful, so my children and I were very excited to see this movie! I was extremely disappointed, however, when the first thirty minutes of the movie depicted young owls being kidnapped from their homes and brainwashed into a cult. When a hero finally showed up in the form of a sweet, protective, older owl; he was killed off in a violent confrontation. The movie made me very uncomfortable for all of the littles who were in the theater. Small children do not have an adult's logic to make sense of disturbing scenes that stay with them long after a movie is over. It plays on their worst fears...kidnapped from your parents?? I took my daughter and got a refund. I wish this would have been a comforting movie about how beautiful owls watch over the forest in the night. Maybe I'll make my own owl movie. And you bet your boots it will be appropriate for children!
Kid, 12 years old October 3, 2013

not for everyone a bit too violent

I liked the movie but the plot was not like the book's in the least and my 7 year old brother had trouble understanding the plot and the akidna scared him.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFezesAreCool December 20, 2012

Amazing movie, epic action and battle sequences, 10+

This movie was really, really good. I watched it with my parents and brother last night. I loved the battle sequences, they featured slow motion a lot, they were very impressive but also very intense. It was fine for me because I'm 13 and have played games like Mass Effect and watched films like Casino Royale (the 2006 one not the really old one) but kids younger than 10 might find it a bit intense or violent. PARENT WARNING: There is one scene where although it isn't shown at all graphically, it is implied that an owl is impaled on a burning stick.
Kid, 12 years old August 1, 2012

good movie :D

oh please i'm 10 and i think i can handle these kinds of movies.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAbe1998 December 23, 2011

Not true to the books at all, but good otherwise.

KILLER special fx, but if you've read the books, you might be disappointed. Not true to the books (personally, even thought I've read the books, I still enjoy the movie, despite the major differences). Some parts might be scary for younger kids. My sister cried at the beginning when a tasmanian devil attacked two owls. He had sharp teeth, and would be a scene I would skip for kids 7 years and younger. 8 year-olds could handle it I think. Good voice acting, no blood, awesome special effects. Pretty different from the books, which sort of disappoints me, but it's still really good.
Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2011

Awesome!!!

the best movie based on a book!
Kid, 12 years old June 7, 2011

The best movie in the world!!!

This movie is the best! Very interesting and exciting. Characters are cool! Legend of the Guardians rock! Good plot, soundtrack, and events. In my opinion, many of you'll people should just forget the violence, and watch this great movie!
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2011

Very Very good movie!

The Guardians of ga'hoole rock!
Parent Written bymacmomdaly September 27, 2010

May be too dark for younger children

This is a dark movie. My eight-year-old is reading the book and couldn't wait to see it. As with most books right off there are several differences and not much character development. Most of the movie is pretty dark so if that effects your child don't see it in 3-D. We saw it IMAX/3-D. My son really didn't like that owls got hurt and the "moonblindness". My 11-year-old thought it was great. As an adult I enjoyed it. I was disappointed that my son, who most looked forward to seeing it, was not a big fan. Go see with caution.
Kid, 12 years old September 24, 2010

the fighting is kinda scary, but only for the moment

well, my mom rated it for thirteen and up, witch makes me too young (it didn't bother me at all, so that's quite *mom like*). she said i won't be seeing it again. shoot. anyway, there is quite a bit of violence, with plenty of slow-mo shots that give you even more detail on top of the already stunning graphics. but the movie is worth watching, and will inspire one who is not scared out of their wits by the battles.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHenva November 15, 2014

300 with owls

This movie is a meal for the eyes. The animation stunning, the music is mezmorising and the scenes are intense. The film is a very dark, despite the front cover. I felt my heart drop in the battle scenes. One of kind movie. The film has a few sexual references and even though you don't see blood their's a lot of breaking bones and dislocations.
Kid, 10 years old September 21, 2014

Guardians of Ga'hoole

I'm absolutely the #1 fan of this movie. I've asked around in my school and everyone who's watched it says it's the best movie ever! Some kids, including me, want them to make a second movie. I STRONGLY RECOMEND!
Kid, 12 years old April 19, 2014

READ THE BOOK!!!!! grrrrr (if older then 10)

o.k so i had read the book and I LOVED it!!! so i go and see the movie and see that they have ABSOLUTELY ruined it. i'm just slightly worried about 8yr olds who watched the movie going to read the book as the book is quite violent as it has olds being torn apart etc. DO NOT WATCH IF YOU READ THE BOOKS IT WILL DRIVE YOU INSANE!!!!!! sorry if you find this bias but seriously, Twilight a poet you have got to be kidding me.
Kid, 9 years old October 20, 2013

It has its Pros and Cons

The movie was good, but not accurate. I thought that the animation was nice, but the plot would be difficult for small children to understand. There was alot of violence, but Soren was a great role model.
Kid, 7 years old October 6, 2013