All member reviews for Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Sweeping owl fantasy adventure is impressive but intense.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bymattsdad September 20, 2010

A war movie for kids?

Yes, it's got fluffy looking, beautifully rendered owls but make no mistake it's a movie about war and has long, intense scenes. I would have preferred a bit more character development and a little less action for my son. As with many movies, I am left wondering who the target audience for this movie is. Kids over the age of 14 aren't going to see "a movie about owls" and children under 10 are going to find themselves exposed to war themes and scenes.
Kid, 12 years old September 26, 2010

a bit violent

It was inspiring, but a bit violent for a kids movie. If you make the owls humans a not animated it would be rated R.
Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2011

this movie is awesome!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonlackey January 15, 2011

good movie

good movie
Kid, 12 years old October 10, 2010

Positive Movie, yet a lot of Violence

This movie was great! Positive messages are shown throughout the movie, but also a great deal of negative messages. Twas more violent than I thought it would be. PROS: Good messages and characters, GREAT SONG! CONS: Too many deaths, knives and action sequences.
Parent of a 2, 8, and 9 year old Written byCarolinaNightingale January 28, 2011

Great for whole family viewing together, nothing too scary but moral consequences for actions.

First of all, the animation on this one is gorgeous. The storyline was so good we watched it not once but TWICE. It's a variant on a good twin/bad twin fairytale. Two owl brothers, one kindhearted and family oriented, one grasping and jealous and hoping to become more successful than his brother, are kidnapped by nefarious villan owls and given a choice- to be among the elite and overlord, as they are the "right kind of owl" or to choose to stay together and help others. The kind brother, of course, is given the worst work because he will not betray his new friend, a smaller female owl of the "non-chosen" breed. The other, the jealous brother, is trained as an elite soldier in the new evil army. The choices they make, from identical upbringing, show how our choices can truly bring our heroism or downfall, and although the ending is intentionally left slightly open as to the end consequences (it is, after all, the first of a series of books which this excellent movie is based upon), the righteous owl gets reunited with his family, saves the whole group, becomes courageous and rescues his own mythical hero in the end. It is an excellently moral choice, not too scary for my (easily frightened stage) 8 and 10 yr olds, beautiful enough for my two year old to watch with them, but with enough gorgeous scenes, depth of character development, and dynamic characters to please not only parents viewing, but to get the kids to beg to see it again. Parents might choose to discuss how the villians choose those like them to be "the chosen" breed, even though many of the owls are smart, intelligent, and beautiful in their own way, whereas the owls of Ga'Hoole, the legendary heroes, choose from all different types and ages of owls, to work together in their strengths to be a team, and have no such prejudices. And if you like the movie, you will want to try the books.. I want to read them all now!
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bykinderqueen September 26, 2010

evil images for small children

I think owls are really beautiful, so my children and I were very excited to see this movie! I was extremely disappointed, however, when the first thirty minutes of the movie depicted young owls being kidnapped from their homes and brainwashed into a cult. When a hero finally showed up in the form of a sweet, protective, older owl; he was killed off in a violent confrontation. The movie made me very uncomfortable for all of the littles who were in the theater. Small children do not have an adult's logic to make sense of disturbing scenes that stay with them long after a movie is over. It plays on their worst fears...kidnapped from your parents?? I took my daughter and got a refund. I wish this would have been a comforting movie about how beautiful owls watch over the forest in the night. Maybe I'll make my own owl movie. And you bet your boots it will be appropriate for children!
Kid, 8 years old December 20, 2010

TAKE YOUR KID!!

This is the best movie the best part is when they get to there destination THE BEST!!!
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2011

Very Very good movie!

The Guardians of ga'hoole rock!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjudybee October 30, 2010

Good, but one particularly disturbing aspect for my 7 year old

My 7 year old an I enjoyed the movie, but it was a little darker than ideal. The most disturbing thing that left the biggest impression w/her is "moonwinking" (in which the kidnapped baby owls forget about their families, and their eyes turn all white.) We've heard about that one at a few bedtimes...
Teen, 16 years old Written bymkalv December 24, 2010

Epic fantasy owl film

For those who thought that a talking animal film couldn't be a fantasy adventure should watch this. The animation is amazing, and the owls faces somehow show emotion. The fights are exciting. The ending could have been better though. I don't like cliffhangers.
Kid, 11 years old October 24, 2010

Why do they always do this? Whenever they make a movie of a book, its always rated PG no matter how violent it is. The owls attached metal talons to their talons and use them to stab other owls. The baby owls are captured and forced to do the bad owls bidding (sounds like rape). Overall good, and sort of like the chronicales of narnia.
Kid, 10 years old April 2, 2011

THE BEST MOVIE

THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! I would give it a 10 STAR RATING if I could. The violence reminds me of Lords of the Rings. Very intense for even 8 year olds! But to parents who are worried about blood: no blood what so ever. Just feathers!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlwayzCreative14 December 18, 2010

I loved this movie when I saw it. The animation is beautiful and despite having a few gaps in the plot it's a great heroic story. Sure, there's a little violence, but it's to find a movie these days that doesn't have some. The messages are also positive and it's great for the whole family. I'd watch it again and again :)
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written byKeenaB October 4, 2010

Good for older kids

I thought it was too violent. Owls killing Owls ? My 9 year old liked it. Maybe it's just me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBrandon Vander Hey September 26, 2010

A Descent Family Flick

MINI-REVIEW: Legend of the Guardians has tons of "That's What She Said!" moments if you pay attention, amazing visual effects, and a descent story. CONTENT: Some mild animated action violence and a couple scary images for very young viewers.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymanay_4511 September 20, 2010

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bytidonios November 12, 2010

Dark themes--mature kids only

This movie is very dark (baby owls are kidnapped from their parents and brainwashed into being slaves). It is also violent. I would not advise taking children who are younger than 7 years old.
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written byMs Shelly October 10, 2010

I needed to explain the good messages and themes verbally, because it was heavy with kidnapping, slavery and fighting. The images my daughter left with were battle scenes, sadness, danger. She was greatly disappointed about an owl becoming bad. This is what she remembers most about the film, INSTEAD of the positive role models who courageously stand up for what is right.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bysmoochy September 27, 2010

Our group of 9 yo didn't like it and the 7 yo were Scared and bothered.

This was too dark, I was surprised and cringing at parts. I found the good parts of this movie were FAR outweighed by the bad. Very quickly into the movie, the two owlets that had close families, were snatched away and brought to what was the equivalent of a "work camp" for "orphans". The betrayal between brothers was disturbing it got to the point of one killing the other, the bad brother also goes back home to kidnap/offer his little owlet sister for advancement within the camp. The "orphans" were "moonbeaked" basically lobotomized so they would be completely controllable. I think the whole movie was literally dark and the premise was very dark as well. We went with several friends from school the seven year olds were bothered and kept getting distracted and saying they didn't like it.