All member reviews for Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Sweeping owl fantasy adventure is impressive but intense.

Parent Written byShugocharafan88 January 6, 2013

you....you.....you.....you.......you.......you......you........you....you.....you.....you.......you.......you......you........you....you.....you.....you.......you.......you......you........YOU DON'T LOVE ME???????? *sob*

ITS NOT FUNNY!!! SOB SOB SOB SOB SOB SOB SOB
Adult Written byshine November 24, 2012

You might as well watch it without sound.

We read the first book in the series and loved it. We knew the movie would cover more than the first book but we didn't realize it was going to speed through so much character development and make little sense. The animation is good, but the story, modified for the movie, fails to deliver anything worthwhile. You might as well watch it without sound.
Teen, 16 years old Written byromneysgirlfriend October 29, 2012

Don't Waste Your Time

This movie is boring, and the animation is just weird. I watched this with my dad, and it was dumb. The plot is retarted, and it's very easy to predict what is coming next. But it does have an awesome themesong. Don't bother with the videogame either, because I used to have it, and it's really hard on your eyes. But it is decent for ages 10+ I'd say.
Kid, 12 years old January 22, 2012

Disappointing

I'm a huge fan of the books. When I heard a movie was coming out, based on the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books, I was nearly skipping with excitement. As an avid bird-watcher and a lover of birds I began counting down the days for the movie's arrival. When the trailer arrived I watched it, and my excitement grew. It looked as though they hadn't turned the movie into a cute story about owls; it looked intense, and I loved movies like that. Not long after the long-awaited movie came out; I went and watched it... It was a huge disappointment. Yes, they didn't take the violence out of it. But they had changed it. First, I'm going to talk about the plot. The plot was similar to the books - The Pure Ones were the enemies, the Guardians of Ga'hoole were the heroes - but, unlike the books, the plot didn't flow. A flowing plot means the movie/book easily falls into place; this one didn't. If you hadn't read the books then you wouldn't understand the movie. I know that even in some scenes I was utterly baffled - why was there a random echidna added to the movie? How could the echidna 'see into the future?' There were many questions left unanswered, and I'm sure many were confused. The effects were dazzling, there's no doubt about that. However, loads of effects don't make a good movie. A good, flowing plot and fleshed out characters does. I also got confused when the owls were fighting. Who were the good guys - and who were the bad? Everything moved so fast it was hard to keep up, and when the movie ended I silently vowed to stick to my beloved books. My mother walked out halfway through the movie, claiming it was boring. I agree with her. The trailer was quite misleading, making it out to look like this amazing movie - when, really, it was not. Kids may learn about owls in this movie, and the characters are good role models, but I, however, did not enjoy it.
Kid, 12 years old December 24, 2011

ITS COOL

THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE! I mean come on: I'm 12 and my parents let me watch: The Ring The Shinning etc.
Kid, 10 years old November 26, 2011

be a real woman soccer mom

stop whining soccer moms.
Parent Written byterrislp November 16, 2011

Good conversation starter.

It's a great movie to spark a conversation about standing up for yourself and others and doing what you think is right, even when it's not popular. It is scary for younger children.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny November 2, 2011

Perfect for any owl or Guardians of Ga'hoole fan...

Legend of the Guardians is a feast for the eyes. It's no surprise, considering this is from the same animators of Happy Feet (which, by the way, was just as impressive). Stunning visuals, great animation, outstanding special effects, and...need I say more? Although, some might have trouble following the story a bit. Anyways, Soren and his friends are good role models. The violence was pretty intense for a children's movie, but didn't go overboard in anyway. Some of the owls are put into perilous situations (a few even die, but it's not too graphic). There is some mild blood and talon-to-talon combat and Metalbeak may scare some of the younger viewers. The language is very mild. The owls in the movie are based off actual species. Although, their kind is never mentioned, little ones can still learn how some of the owls look like. This movie is perfect for any owl-lover or those who have read the books from which this movie is based on. I enjoyed it because of both.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRogue, barn owl October 26, 2011

This is soooooooooooooooooo S**t, it gives owl's a bad name.

This movie is NOT as good as the movies. Soren is a dipstick , Outlissa is FLIRTING (!!!!!!!) WITH SOREN (!!!!!!), and they completely forget the brave Hortense! The shame! Twilight and Digger aren't a gay couple, so why are they in the same hollow BEFORE they save Digger from Jatt AND Jutt. Barran doesn't speak as much, they've forgotten Madame Plonk!! And how does Boron go from middle of battle, to directing a aerial strike? Anyway, the graphics aren't too bad ( pity bout the storyline), and the owl's movement's are realistic, even through Digger can't have a Ozzie accent because there are no Burrowing Owls in Australia. And also, Soren dosen't idolise Lyze of Kiel, nor does meet and learn that his teacher,Ezlyryb, is the lengendary Lyze of Kiel.
Kid, 12 years old August 27, 2011

Surprisingly good

its not that bad actually
Parent Written byMisterDad August 26, 2011

Epic.

This is an epic movie. The themes of war and oppression are handled responsibly and starkly. This is a story of unlikely heroes and betrayal. The adults will enjoy this movie. The children can enjoy the movie as well, as long as they can handle these themes. This is not Pollyanna, but more of the Odyssey with owls.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOwlsRule26 August 4, 2011

Great movie, but for older children

Don't assume that this "fluffy owl" movie is for little kids. Many of the scenes include owl to owl combat, characters fighting with battle claws, and many owls are killed on screen; but there is no blood and gore. This material may frighten younger viewers, and parents should know their child, to decide if she/he can handle the heavy plot. On a more positive note, this movie gives very positive messages about believing in youself, having courage, and trusting your "gizzard" (gut). Main character, Soren, is also a very strong positive role model, and most viewers will seem to relate to him more. Once again, know your child, and overall, this is a movie that will stay with viewers for along time, and I really enjoyed it. (Animation was incredible, best I have ever seen in my entire life.)
Kid, 11 years old June 21, 2011

a great film

This film is brilliant i loved the story the little bits of action everything this a great film!!!
Kid, 10 years old April 2, 2011

THE BEST MOVIE

THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! I would give it a 10 STAR RATING if I could. The violence reminds me of Lords of the Rings. Very intense for even 8 year olds! But to parents who are worried about blood: no blood what so ever. Just feathers!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMichmom March 29, 2011

Surprisingly good! Definitely not for young children who are easily frightened as it was intense at times.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byCBeth March 20, 2011

Valuable lessons and engaging story

This movie was a surprise hit for us; it hadn't received great ratings so we didn't see it in the theaters, about which we are now sorry, because the visual effects seem impressive (not so much on our older TV!). I for one appreciate stories that present serious moral and ethical issues that reflect real history and current events in a way that is understandable to kids and also in a way that they can discuss it without feeling immediately threatened (as some might in discussing real world events). It is of course incumbent upon parents to help their children reflect upon these things. I didn't find the violence level worse than what we have come to expect from PG ratings, but it does seem like it would be too much for littler kids ... although it does have some quite humorous moments, it is pretty serious as well.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byInconceivable March 5, 2011
Kid, 12 years old February 23, 2011

it was so boring I didn't even make it to the end. zzzzzzzz....
Parent of a 9 year old Written byfriendlytoanimals February 21, 2011

Extremely violent. Animation doesn't change this fact.

our whole family hated this movie. I can't believe that people act like it is just little scary. Full on war scenes; torture. Just because it is animated doesn't make it benign. People talk about the positive message, but as far as i can see it's the same old hollywood message as always; and that message is that violence is entertaining and the only way to deal with problems. Beautiful animation does not make up for this.
Parent Written bygigi94025 February 8, 2011

Absolutely beautiful imagery!

Absolutely beautiful imagery! I loved the positive messages. See this on as big a screen as possible as it really makes a difference.