All member reviews for Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Sweeping owl fantasy adventure is impressive but intense.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymusicjesusfreak January 8, 2011

Exellent movie with an exess of violence.

This is a great movie with some (well.... maybe more than "some") violence. I personally didn't expect it to be this good, or this violent, but it should be fine for your average 10 year old. Violence includes brutal fight scenes, but very few owls seem to be killed, or even badly wounded for that matter. Owls strike other owls with "battle claws" (the owl equivalent to swords, worn on the claw), as well as some beak-to-beak combat. Owls are also lunged at by bats, and tortured by what seems to be like lightning. Very few owls are thrown over sides of cliffs, and one is lost in a fire. Despite these intense scenes, the Guardians (good guys) are just trying to over throw the "Pure Ones" (bad guys), and free the captured owls and stop the "Pure Ones" from taking over the world (which they come dangerously close to doing). The animation is very good, and you start to really feel like you're there. The story is an old one, but retold in a clever and creative new way, that will intrigue audiences of all ages. Enjoy!
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 January 6, 2013

you....you.....you.....you.......you.......you......you........you....you.....you.....you.......you.......you......you........you....you.....you.....you.......you.......you......you........YOU DON'T LOVE ME???????? *sob*

ITS NOT FUNNY!!! SOB SOB SOB SOB SOB SOB SOB
Adult Written byshine November 24, 2012

You might as well watch it without sound.

We read the first book in the series and loved it. We knew the movie would cover more than the first book but we didn't realize it was going to speed through so much character development and make little sense. The animation is good, but the story, modified for the movie, fails to deliver anything worthwhile. You might as well watch it without sound.
Teen, 16 years old Written byromneysgirlfriend October 29, 2012

Don't Waste Your Time

This movie is boring, and the animation is just weird. I watched this with my dad, and it was dumb. The plot is retarted, and it's very easy to predict what is coming next. But it does have an awesome themesong. Don't bother with the videogame either, because I used to have it, and it's really hard on your eyes. But it is decent for ages 10+ I'd say.
Kid, 12 years old August 1, 2012

good movie :D

oh please i'm 10 and i think i can handle these kinds of movies.
Kid, 12 years old June 7, 2011

The best movie in the world!!!

This movie is the best! Very interesting and exciting. Characters are cool! Legend of the Guardians rock! Good plot, soundtrack, and events. In my opinion, many of you'll people should just forget the violence, and watch this great movie!
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bySmileyDad September 25, 2010

Fun movie, cute characters and muted violence

I have Girls aged 8 and 10, they have read all the Kathryn Lasky books. I went and saw the movie with my older one, I think that they did fairly good justice to the books considering that they had to fit it 90 minutes. Though I would have preferred that they focus a bit more on building the character development of the main characters. Graphics are flawless, although there is some violence - but the way it is presented, it is not at all gory and there is no blood, hence it is ok for the even lesser age kids. The negative point is that they made the movie too short, and should have kept it to atleast 120 minutes to do full justice to the story and the characters.
Kid, 12 years old September 24, 2010

the fighting is kinda scary, but only for the moment

well, my mom rated it for thirteen and up, witch makes me too young (it didn't bother me at all, so that's quite *mom like*). she said i won't be seeing it again. shoot. anyway, there is quite a bit of violence, with plenty of slow-mo shots that give you even more detail on top of the already stunning graphics. but the movie is worth watching, and will inspire one who is not scared out of their wits by the battles.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHSMajor_94 September 6, 2010

Still not sure about it...

I was wondering, for those who have seen the movie- what is it about? Like, any magic or anything like that? What are the owls? Like, what do they do? If anyone could give my information BESIDES what they already have it would be really helpful!
Teen, 13 years old Written byFezesAreCool December 20, 2012

Amazing movie, epic action and battle sequences, 10+

This movie was really, really good. I watched it with my parents and brother last night. I loved the battle sequences, they featured slow motion a lot, they were very impressive but also very intense. It was fine for me because I'm 13 and have played games like Mass Effect and watched films like Casino Royale (the 2006 one not the really old one) but kids younger than 10 might find it a bit intense or violent. PARENT WARNING: There is one scene where although it isn't shown at all graphically, it is implied that an owl is impaled on a burning stick.
Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2011

Awesome!!!

the best movie based on a book!
Adult Written bycrownjewel82 October 8, 2010

Great movie fun for all. May be too involved for very young kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEzio432 September 26, 2010

NOONE SEE THIS MOVIE I WOULD RATHER HAVE MY EYES BLEED THAN HAVE MY EYES SEE THIS MOVIE

MY GOSH THIS MOVIE MADE ME SICK JUST ABOUT STUPID OWLS THAT CAN TALK HAS THE MOST LEAST THOPUGHT OUT TITLE EVER THIS MOVIE MADE ME SO SICK I WILL NOT RECOVER FOR A LONG TIME IT IS A VISUAL AND AUDIOCAL NIGHTMARE.........:'(
Kid, 11 years old September 14, 2010

Perfect for tweens, but not for younger kids.

I love it!
Teen, 16 years old Written byHenva November 15, 2014

300 with owls

This movie is a meal for the eyes. The animation stunning, the music is mezmorising and the scenes are intense. The film is a very dark, despite the front cover. I felt my heart drop in the battle scenes. One of kind movie. The film has a few sexual references and even though you don't see blood their's a lot of breaking bones and dislocations.
Kid, 10 years old September 21, 2014

Guardians of Ga'hoole

I'm absolutely the #1 fan of this movie. I've asked around in my school and everyone who's watched it says it's the best movie ever! Some kids, including me, want them to make a second movie. I STRONGLY RECOMEND!
Kid, 12 years old April 19, 2014

READ THE BOOK!!!!! grrrrr (if older then 10)

o.k so i had read the book and I LOVED it!!! so i go and see the movie and see that they have ABSOLUTELY ruined it. i'm just slightly worried about 8yr olds who watched the movie going to read the book as the book is quite violent as it has olds being torn apart etc. DO NOT WATCH IF YOU READ THE BOOKS IT WILL DRIVE YOU INSANE!!!!!! sorry if you find this bias but seriously, Twilight a poet you have got to be kidding me.
Kid, 9 years old October 20, 2013

It has its Pros and Cons

The movie was good, but not accurate. I thought that the animation was nice, but the plot would be difficult for small children to understand. There was alot of violence, but Soren was a great role model.
Kid, 7 years old October 6, 2013