All member reviews for Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Sweeping owl fantasy adventure is impressive but intense.

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bykaloren October 15, 2010

Fans of the book enjoy the movie to a degree

My daughter adn I read the first 4 books this summer in anticipation of the movie. She (9) loved and so did I. We were disappointed in how they tried to cram so few things into one movie. It would have been nicer to see each book made into a movie. Could be as classic as Narnia with the great writing by Kathryn Lasky. That being said the movie was well done and the violence isn't too overwhelming. the fights show just enough to hget the message accross. There are good role models int he film for kids to admire as well.
Parent of a 3, 9, and 10 year old Written byMaddogMais October 14, 2010
GOOD!
Kid, 12 years old October 10, 2010

Positive Movie, yet a lot of Violence

This movie was great! Positive messages are shown throughout the movie, but also a great deal of negative messages. Twas more violent than I thought it would be. PROS: Good messages and characters, GREAT SONG! CONS: Too many deaths, knives and action sequences.
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written byMs Shelly October 10, 2010
I needed to explain the good messages and themes verbally, because it was heavy with kidnapping, slavery and fighting. The images my daughter left with were battle scenes, sadness, danger. She was greatly disappointed about an owl becoming bad. This is what she remembers most about the film, INSTEAD of the positive role models who courageously stand up for what is right.
Adult Written bycrownjewel82 October 8, 2010
Great movie fun for all. May be too involved for very young kids.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written byKeenaB October 4, 2010

Good for older kids

I thought it was too violent. Owls killing Owls ? My 9 year old liked it. Maybe it's just me.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byalhj October 2, 2010
Kid, 8 years old October 2, 2010
it a 2 year olad wood cry was relly' relly relly relly relly relly relly relly vilent
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymary poppins October 1, 2010
For kids that have read the series of books, it was slightly disappointing that the movie doesn't really parallel the books. For those who haven't read the books, some parts may be confusing, for example why a snake would be a nursemaid for the owls. Or why does Mrs. P. appear to be blind? These things needed more clarification in the movie.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bychalbridge September 30, 2010

frightening 3D movies should be looked into more!

The movie was nothing like the book! That's what i did'nt like about it and we had to walk out because brenda got to frightened by the 3D death of Kludd. So, like the movie ratings say, know your kids before taking them to see 3D kid movies.
Adult Written byAbbaLen September 28, 2010

Limit viewing to individuals who can handle lots of violence.

My nine year old granddaughter was so frightened by the violence that she literally asked that we leave midway through the film.
Adult Written bywallyk2334 September 27, 2010

OK moview, worth watching if kids really intrested

Ok movie, not great not bad. The 3D was good. My 8 year old daughter really liked but my 6 year old son fell asleep half way through. There is some violence but nothing very graphic. It would probably be too scary for younger kids.
Adult Written byteeteesmom September 27, 2010
We took our almost 8 year old to see this the day it opened. Should have waited for the reviews. The animation is stunning, particularly the detail of the owls. But as others have said, it is incredibly dark and violent in theme and content. Though there are no wounds shown, the feeling of the movie is very scary, from just about the very first scene. The brother's switch to evil was instantaneous, rather extreme and not really very well supported by the earlier sibling rivalry scenes. (That the parents never mourned his choice--or mentioned it, as far as I could tell--was also troubling). Our son insisted that he liked the movie, but was troubled by the moon scenes. The movie has a nightmarish feel to it that sticks with you. There were a number of much younger kids in the theater I was in, and one was in tears after the final battle scene. Made me wonder how many more would be in tears at bedtime (or 2 a.m.). (Didn't help that the theatre showed the previews for Harry Potter 7 first, either).
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bysmoochy September 27, 2010

Our group of 9 yo didn't like it and the 7 yo were Scared and bothered.

This was too dark, I was surprised and cringing at parts. I found the good parts of this movie were FAR outweighed by the bad. Very quickly into the movie, the two owlets that had close families, were snatched away and brought to what was the equivalent of a "work camp" for "orphans". The betrayal between brothers was disturbing it got to the point of one killing the other, the bad brother also goes back home to kidnap/offer his little owlet sister for advancement within the camp. The "orphans" were "moonbeaked" basically lobotomized so they would be completely controllable. I think the whole movie was literally dark and the premise was very dark as well. We went with several friends from school the seven year olds were bothered and kept getting distracted and saying they didn't like it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMovie Chooser September 27, 2010
I disliked this movie a great deal--my 12 year old daughter liked it fairly well. In my opinion, there was not enough story development to balance out the violence, and there's not enough background to understand what all the fighting is about. It starts out dark, scary and violent and pretty much stays that way throught the whole picture. This picture didn't bring anything to my life other than the confirmation that Hollywood is determined to wreck every children's book ever written.
Teen, 16 years old Written byzapper1234566 September 26, 2010

people just people

alota people are complaining that this movie is violent and stuff, but it was directed by the guy who did 300 i mean really, i mean look at the trailers it loks violent so why take young children to see this and oh its based off of a book!!!!!!1
Teen, 13 years old Written byEzio432 September 26, 2010

NOONE SEE THIS MOVIE I WOULD RATHER HAVE MY EYES BLEED THAN HAVE MY EYES SEE THIS MOVIE

MY GOSH THIS MOVIE MADE ME SICK JUST ABOUT STUPID OWLS THAT CAN TALK HAS THE MOST LEAST THOPUGHT OUT TITLE EVER THIS MOVIE MADE ME SO SICK I WILL NOT RECOVER FOR A LONG TIME IT IS A VISUAL AND AUDIOCAL NIGHTMARE.........:'(
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byLegosRUs September 26, 2010

Beautiful movie, feels like you're flying with the owls.

It was great. All about empowering the good guys, hurting the bad guys. It was a bit intense at some places but our 9-yr old boy assured us he was fine. We had just been talking about kids who are kidnapped and turned into soldiers in Uganda under the evil Joseph Kony, and this movie gave us hope for those kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBrandon Vander Hey September 26, 2010

A Descent Family Flick

MINI-REVIEW: Legend of the Guardians has tons of "That's What She Said!" moments if you pay attention, amazing visual effects, and a descent story. CONTENT: Some mild animated action violence and a couple scary images for very young viewers.
Parent Written byLoveBeingMom September 25, 2010

Good for older kids, but not younger ones

Although not a movie with gore, it has many scenes that are violent. My son has Autism and is developmentally younger than his physical age. Being a movie with a PG rating I did not expect the violence. I think it should have a PG-13 rating.