All member reviews for LEGO Batman: The Movie -- DC Superheroes Unite

Lighthearted superhero action is fun -- but big toy ad.

Kid, 8 years old July 2, 2013

Funniest movie I've ever seen!

This movie is REALLY funny! This is the second Lego movie I've ever watched, 'The Adventures of Clutch Powers' was my first, but this one was much more action-packed. Most of my friends think this movie is a blast because they loved all the Lego Batman sets! My gaming friends say it's better than the video game!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMitchell Charleston June 12, 2013

Another awesome Batman movie.

Awesome awesome Batman movie. Great CGI, cool action, and just everything was perfect about with movie. This gets 5 stars.
Kid, 6 years old October 31, 2013

is so cool

is is cool
Adult Written byjohnsag49 September 28, 2015

A good movie, regardless of the toy tie-in

Lego Batman: The Movie is a great time for any fans of Lego and Batman. The movie is equal parts silly and action-packed, giving younger fans a taste of the fun of Gotham City. It's very clearly made for a younger crowd - the kids who can't watch the full-length feature films because they're too scary, dark or violent. The animation is top notch - not Pixar quality, but great for the genre. The characters are recreated faithfully, the story is in line with many of the movies, and it has jokes that would appeal to grown-ups and kids. Common Sense Media's review argues it's hard to ignore the movie's toy connections - that it plays like a big toy ad. I don't think that's fair. Of course, I'm sure the movie helped Lego sell a handful more sets. But that's not the objective of this movie. The Lego sets featuring Batman and the other DC Comics properties existed before this movie was released, and to Lego's credit - they have not tried to release "Lego Batman Movie" themed sets to cash-in on the film. If you're a gamer, you'll no doubt notice this movie shares the same animation and many of the scenes of Lego Batman 2 for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U. In fact, the same production company produced both the movie and games, using the same voice actors and models. Truth be told, both the game and movie are phenomenal, fun and safe ways for younger kids to enjoy the Batman mythos. Lego doesn't need this movie to help sell toys. It's myriad of sets, including super hero-themed toys, are doing fine on their own. It's a good movie - and your little Batman fan will enjoy it!
Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 10, 2014
Good for everybody.and if your kid likes Legos then they will like this.its also a video game.
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2015

Can get you to cheat but is really just cutscenes from game.

Suggested rating: PG for Action
Kid, 9 years old February 5, 2014

David's Review

I really like this movie, but there is a lot of violence. But lots of great role models!
Kid, 11 years old February 7, 2016

Great Batman Film For The Whole Family!

Just because this movie is made out of Legos, doesn't' mean this is just for kids. My only complaint is in the last 23 minutes of the movie, I becomes and more of a Batman/Superman movie, and in the last 10 minutes it is more of a Justice League movie. But, overall most of the screen time is dedicated to Batman, Robin, Lex Luthor and the Joker. I has some serious, dark and scary moments, but it also has some comedy, to make it more of a family movie. I like how at the beginning that it mimics the 1989 Batman intro, except in Lego, and it brings back Danny Elfman's iconic score, as well John Willliams's Superman score in some scenes. There is no extreme violence, like blood or anything, unlike some other Batman animated features ("Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm", "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns", "Batman: Under the Red Hood", etc.) I don't care that is kind of a Lego commercial, because if you put a movie in Lego or some other toy, that is what it will be viewed as. I mean, nobody complained about "Toy Story".
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byadaMadman May 9, 2015

Joyless spin-off of Lego Movie's success

The best word I can think of is "joyless," because it's rarely funny or, really, fun. Expect a relentless series of action sequences and gadgets punctuated by hijinks of a strangely-postured Joker (it seems they felt the characters in Lego were too stiff; now the characters torsos twist and undulate like they're full of Jello). My son even thought it was a little too "real" and not like as much like Lego (some backgrounds reject the everything-is-made-of-Lego conceit completely). There's no real sense to much of it. I should say, though, that there is one brilliant idea in the film when Batman and Superman fool the Joker and Lex Luthor, but I won't spoil it. Additionally, the characters are introduced thick and fast and if you aren't older and have some point of reference (into Catwoman, Green Lantern, etc.), then it is just a big confusing mob. Ditto the bad guys (Riddler, Penguin), who for a child must seem completely baffling. We watched it at one sitting, and when it was over I wished I could get that time back, a feeling I did not have even with some other iffy child's fare. It's all a shame, becuase I adored the Lego Movie; perhaps that film set the bar too high.
Kid, 5 years old July 31, 2014

Lego Bats!

Batman is upset because Joker destroys all of his vehicles, and he doesn't have anything to ride. But Robin remakes the Batmobile! At the beginning, it's only Batman and Superman, but at the end there's the whole DC gang. And the Joker's Bot is in it, too. And Lex Luthor.