All member reviews for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Book's fans will enjoy, but too creepy for some.

Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2010

A great great movie!

A great movie. It's really very funny in the begining how it opens up. It's a great adventure movie. Alot of thrill and suspense to. I reccomend this to you.
Parent of a 5, 8, 13, and 16 year old Written bymommyslittledarlings August 10, 2011

A disgrace!

This film was utterly inappropriate for Mommy's little darlings Jennifer (16), Emily (13), Jake (8) and Max (5). It was a family choice due to Jennifer, Emily and Jake’s shared love of the books. However, when we began watching it, I was horrified to discover the dark and morbid sense of doom surrounding the three orphans. Max was very distressed at the idea of their house burning down (suspected arson) and I had to reassure him for the next few days that our house was not going to burn down as well. After this terrible event, they placed under the care of their frightening Guardian Count Olaf, a man who even I found disturbing, by their incompetent caregiver, Mr. Poe. Max began to cry in fright. Also, there is far too much tension throughout the film and the Baudelaire’s close to death scenes brought on by adults ( bad influence, most adults only wish the best for them). The Baudelaire’s are almost hit by a train and eaten by leeches. Traumatizing! They are also forced to witness the death’s of many family members. Terrible! My final complaints are the swearing used by the baby and Violet’s forced marriage. This movie is not suitable for any children, and is best left on the shelf.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byJenoi January 8, 2010

I wish their would be sequels!

This movie was fantastic, Jim Carrey's characters are hilarious. I only wish they would make more!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byHintzy411 November 13, 2009

11+

my friend read the series and thinks it's great
Parent of a 12 and 18 year old Written bytbaudler1410 April 19, 2009

think twice before bringing someone 12 and down to this movie!!!!!!

It is a pretty good movie but be warned: their are very violent,frightening,and intense images and situations. Count Olaf is a very,very,very EVIL Role Model and murders people for money
Adult Written byAlaricsMommy April 9, 2008

Boring!

This was a total waste of time for me and my son. He watched a little bit of it but decided to go play instead. I don't blame him. I was very close to turning this off. It was extremely boring. The acting of the children was okay, but I was very disappointed in Jim Carrey's performance. I thought the storyline was nothing special and I'm actually quite surprised my son wasn't scared of the movie. The fact that he kept trying to kill these children is something that really doesn't appeal to me. Yes, I may be an avid horror film buff, but I don't enjoy movies where children are harmed, or where there is an attempt at harm. This was a total waste of my time and my money.
Adult Written bykellypeal April 9, 2008

Fun books. Fun movie.

Yes, it is sad that these children have to endure so much tragedy, and if this were based on a true story, I would find no humor what so ever. However, this is ficticious, therefore we can laugh at some of the ridiculous circumstances. Definitely know your child to determine if the subject matter will be dsitressing to them. But if your kids are 8 or older and not super sensitive, they will probably realize that this sort of thing does not happen everyday. My daughterr is 8 and had no problems dealing with it. But, 2 or 3 years ago I would have never taken her to see this. As far as the quality of the movie...the children are absolutely adorable and very wonderful little acotrs. And as always, Jim Carrey is perfect in his many roles. He is one of the greatest character actors of the 21st century. The script did not follow the books exactly, but most movies-from-books rarely do. Overall, I give it 2 thumbs up!
Kid, 7 years old February 22, 2010

One part when Eddie falls off of a log he says "I think I might have peed" Also, Eddie gets shot by a paintball but he thinks he got shot by a bullet.
Adult Written byJenniferGrant April 9, 2008

Dark, dark, but good underlying message

I took my 8 1/2 year old son to Lemony Snicket tonight. He has seen (and loved) the Lord of the Rings movies and the Harry Potter movies. This movie, however, scared him and he didn't like it. He found it too creepy and eerie and the murders of the orphans' guardians by Olaf too disturbing. I loved the movie - think there is a lot of strong and good messages to it and I found it really entertaining. I loved the idea that unfortunate events can spur the beginning of a journey, that they bring out the best in people, that the kids were home when they were with each other, and a number of other messages. I liked what unique individuals each child was. I also like the honesty: bad things happen in life and you don't give up. "What would Violet do?" Seeing the movie together allowed my son and I to talk about such issues. I think tomorrow (or some day soon), we'll talk more about these things. I haven't read the books, so I can't speak to whether the movie is true to those stories. The deaths of the parents and benificent guardians and overall creepiness of the movie was too much for my son.
Written byAnonymous September 7, 2014

Book based tale will entertain many but is too scary for younger kids

My rating:PG for mild scary action,crude humor and language
Teen, 15 years old Written bytechnologylover12 May 15, 2010

this movie is awesome! My favorite part is when sunny says "Im sunny" to olaf and he's like "Sorry, I don't speak monkey...BANANA" then sunny replies saying "I AM NOT A MONKEY"
Teen, 17 years old Written byjcsoblonde April 9, 2008

BLEH

This movie is absolutely pointless and stupid. I love the books, but give me a BREAK...Count Olaf= JIM CARREY???? You have GOT to be kidding me...it was just dumb. A really bad adaption.
Teen, 13 years old Written byeteichert April 9, 2008

Terrible!

This made me sick! If I had not read the books, this would have been awesome! But I'm glad I did, because the are amazing, but this movie was a hack job! The WORST choice of actors possible! These people not only left stuff out, but they added stuff, moved stuff where it wasnt meant to be, and didnt reveal things that were explicitly revealed in the books! If they hadnt tried to cram so much into this movie, I might have enjoyed it more!
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2014

weird

weird and nothing like the books!
Kid, 9 years old January 25, 2013

Sad,Scary,and Kinda Mean

When I watch the movie I was scared,sad,and i was crying due to graphic images.P.S The lesson is you'll never know the unfortunate event might happen in real life.
Kid, 10 years old August 27, 2012

Recheck your review!

This series is one of the best for kids 8 & up, if they're smart enough to see that it's fake! I saw the review people gave it, and I was so angry. Kids younger than 9 should be able to read it, if they're not scared over some really stupid things. So I think that they're review is really dumb and A Series of Unfortunate Events is once again good for kids who can understand it and understand that it's FAKE! It's not fair for kids to younger than 9 to only read about ponies and princesses. They need to get a little taste of reality so they can know that not everyone is going to give you candy if you're a good little boy/girl! While knowing that MOST OF IT IS FAKE!!!! So that's it. By the way: Sunny didn't say bad words she's just a baby!
Parent Written byJLFM May 13, 2012

Fans of the book may not like it

Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2011

Creepy

Its really creepy
Kid, 11 years old December 31, 2010

Movie with a lot of suspense is so-so

I saw this movie in school when I was in 5th grade. It was not really that scary, but the plot was just akward. Some parts of the movie were enjoyable, but others just didn't make any sense. So, if your a fan of the series, go ahead you'll probably enjoy it more than me, since I didn't even read the books. The movie would be more clear if you read the series.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlwayzCreative14 November 26, 2010

Fans of the Books Will Be Fans of this Movie!

I saw this movie when I was about 11 and really enjoyed it! I think it fits the book, despite a few changes. I don't think it's a good movie for the younger crowd or easily scared kids though. The dark comedy is a little disturbing to some and the violence and suspense can be frightening. I still loved it though and I think it really depends on if you read the books. If you liked the books- like I did- you'll really enjoy this movie. If you did 't like the book? Well you won't like the movie either.