All member reviews for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Book's fans will enjoy, but too creepy for some.

Adult Written byJjSmihal April 9, 2008

I liked the movie enough to rate it.

My husband and I succumbed to the pleadings of our 4 year old daughter and went to see the movie. I thought it would be too scary for her, but she was not afraid. I jumped out of my skin in the reptile room. She patted my hand and told me it would be okay, it is just a movie! She didn't understand that Count Olaf was in disguise over and over. She thought they were different characters and we couldn't convince her that it was all the same evil villian. She and I discussed the death of the parents, the letter that arrived, and how family sticks together and makes a home wherever they are. We just moved and this was the best theme for us. My husband thought this was one of the weirdest, dumbest movies he's ever seen. He was NOT a fan! FYI: I dreamed of that world all night last night!
Adult Written bydudeman123 April 9, 2008

ok

wen i went to the movies to see this i thought it wood b a dorkfest but it turned out to be an ok movie it actually get's kinda freaky at some points might be to scary for anyone under 7
Adult Written bywheeezer April 9, 2008

This is WEIRD!

From beginning to end, this is just a weird movie. I took my 10 year old to see it and afterwards he said, "It was weird" :I agree. It has no values I want to encourage in my children and it contained many persons I hope my children never meet the likes of. Save your money.
Educator and Parent of a 8 year old Written bysouzakh April 9, 2008

Adult Written bycoricurbob@yahoo.com April 9, 2008

A movie based on my favorite books. Huzzah!

Not much to say except that I am probably obliged to love this movie, as I am obsessed with the books. I like that the filmmakers included some of the V.F.D. mystery which, in print, does not come to light until Book the Fifth. I did not like one of the revelations apparently put forth in the movie, though (Josephine's, on the boat...) You should know that this movie is different from the books. Please be okay with that. It's basically alternate-universe, and not intended to be exactly the same - Daniel Handler's original screenplay for it was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, a phrase which here means "rife with mysterious volunteers, turquoise sombreros, ninja-esque fights, and James Brown quotes." It was pretty awesome, actually.
Adult Written byHaloFreak123 April 9, 2008

That was horrable.

I love the books of a series of unfortunate events, every one. I thought the movie would be awesome but then I saw it and it completely defied the books. It was really stupid and I think if your in the mood to be bored out of your mind with idioticness, this is the thing to watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMadelineMini April 7, 2015

Dark and might be too scary for sensitive kids

This movie is dark, but it's also funny. Jim Carrey is absolutely hilarious in this movie. It might be scary for younger kids. The parents die and the uncle, there are a few other scary situations, plus violence. Count Olaf (Jim Carrey) tries to kill the kids several times and marry Violet in a play. So, the title is not misleading, definitely a series of unfortunate events. The ending is happy though. Great movie for families with kids 9 and up! I didn't read the book and I loved it, but it just depends on what kind of movies you like. If you just like happy and cheerful movies, this is not for you.
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo February 8, 2015

Superb!!!!!!

This is crazy amazing!! I love this movie so-ooo much!... except, a baby uses bad language. that was unexpected. otherwise, this is great!
Kid, 10 years old December 23, 2014

A good movie for those who read the books

Kid, 9 years old December 2, 2014

it has good and bad parts

I like it because it has a few parts that i think are quite funny. I dont like it because I dont understand why the mum and dad should die at the very start and you dont even get to see the mum and dad at all, but I would recommend it to watch.
Adult Written bySummerxoAshton November 8, 2014

Good but a bit deprssing

This film is amazing but at some points it is depressing but still a good film that's why a young rating im 12 and love it and cried at the ending.
Written byAnonymous September 7, 2014

Book based tale will entertain many but is too scary for younger kids

My rating:PG for mild scary action,crude humor and language
Kid, 10 years old January 4, 2014

Amazing Story! Great Message!

A really good movie, some bits a little bit creepy (e.g. Count Olaf (Jim Carrey) ) A lot of amazing morals, for example, To make sanctuary in a place not welcome, e.t.c I am very proud for the 3 siblings, as they have struggled a lot that i could probably not handle. One of those story's that make you think.....
Kid, 11 years old November 27, 2013

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

I ADORE THIS MOVIE I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!! Jim Carrey is a ROCKING Olaf and there's not a lot of swearing. (in the books olaf says "Now get in the d*mn jeep!" but then Snicket says, "As we all know, it is very rude and inappropriate to use profanity, but at this point the Baudelaires were too terrified to correct Olaf's rudeness.") In the deleted scenes I saw on the dvd there are lots of references to homosexuality and cross-dressing and sex, but I guess that's why they took those scenes out.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydirectioner2121 September 16, 2013

Nice and kid friendly..

I think families should know that there are positive role models like violet she likes experimenting and finding new things or like Claus who loves reading and detective work or.. Grammar.
Kid, 11 years old August 15, 2013

alright

this movie was alright
Teen, 14 years old Written byMackenzie Logan July 6, 2013

great watch

series of unfortunate events is a great movie. its a bit dark, but funny and a great watch. there are three siblings, Violet, the eldest who is an inventor, claus, the middle child who reads a lot and can remember everything that he reads, and sunny, the youngest, who is an infant who likes to bite. sunny provides a lot of comedy in the movie, while violet and Claus are good positive role models. this movie is great and I defiantly recommend it!
Parent Written bybeautiful me June 9, 2013

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this was an amazing movie extreamly intreging and um I don't really no another word for it but AMAZING. kidz will like this movie if they understand that movies are just fake and arnt real.
Kid, 12 years old October 6, 2012

Enjoyed it!

Really enjoyed this movie. Didn't find it creepy at all like some of the adults. I liked the characteristics of all the children. Me & my mother really enjoyed it, suspenseful & funny parts and it wasn't all wet & Disney-fied .