All member reviews for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Book's fans will enjoy, but too creepy for some.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymkalv February 3, 2009

Bad adaption, good movie.

I must say that this movie isn't that faithful to the books. However, this movie is still really good, and funny in a twisted sort of way all on its own. Recommended.
Kid, 11 years old November 9, 2008

pretty good on its own, but no where near as brillient as the books

i actually really enjoyed this movie and happen to own it. there is a tiny bit of very mild language, (smuck, damn, and bite me.) but no sex or sexual refrences, violence, or scary images. keep in mind that it is a movie about orphaned children, and there are sevral murders that happen off screen. (nothing is shown) it is a good movie for older kids and tweens, but if you've read the books you may enjoy it more.
Teen, 14 years old Written byneptune09er November 9, 2008

I really like it no matter what other people say

It is pretty creepy at some parts, but I'm sure 10 year olds have seen worse. They mixed things up though, things were in a different order in the books. Plus Violet was supposed to sign the paper with her left hand, not have it burn. Jim Carrey made a really good Count Olaf.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAhsatan April 9, 2008

Count Olaf was horrible!

This movie is about three kids named Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire. I thought the actor who played Violet was very ugly and not at all like how I imagined Violet. Klaus was good, and Sunny was very cute. Count Olaf did not look like what I imagined him either, and he didn't seem evil enough. The story was also very messed up, totally different from the books. However, there were some funny parts and it was pretty exciting. I liked the actor who played Aunt Josephine a lot too. This movie was in the middle,not good and not bad.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

This is a funny movie!

Teen, 17 years old Written byrockin_cowgurl706 April 9, 2008

This was a pretty good movie...

I think that this was a good movie. It followed the books pretty well, with only a few event out of order. The movie was done very well and I think it is appropreate for seven years old and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAlexH April 9, 2008

Great!

Funny, smart, and well-acted, this movie is a winner. Young kids may find this movie a bit too macabre or suspenseful for their tastes. Kids who are loyal fans of the books may find this a bit too loose of an adaptation. But if you're willing to go into the movie with an open mind, you'll like it. Great performances by Jim Carrey, Timothy Spall, Meryl Streep, and the three talented youngsters are a definite plus.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystar April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written bystinky April 9, 2008

Very funny

It was almost true to the books, but it was kind of mixed around. But overall Jim Carrey was very funny.
Teen, 17 years old Written byringette_chick April 9, 2008
Good Movie...Loved it

brilliant

i really enjoyed this suprising film even as much as i enjoyed the books
Teen, 17 years old Written bybballgurl20 April 9, 2008

Great Family MOvie

This is a great movie. I personally loved it. This movie is alittle hard to follow so try to listen careful. The language is iffy i think they say stupid and thats kinda really it. Umm overall a great movie and awesome books!!!

Wow!

This is a great movie! Although, it is nothing like the books(Tust me. I read all 11,) I still think die hard fans of the books would injoy this moive.

THE BEST

7+ 2 THUBMS UP
Teen, 14 years old Written byHannah K. April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

The Truth

This movie was really great. But I'm here to tell you the truth about it. I will admit it got a little long but you can sit through it. It might not have been as exciting as the commercials but it was good. Count Olaf (Jim Carrey) was funny in some parts and in others he played the bad guy really well. Little kids would not get the message of the movie. If you are 9 and up you might enjoy it. It wasn't violent. But there was murder. Not the kind where someone sneaks up on you and puts a knife in your back. But just death. Examples: Dr. Montgomery, Olaf kills him but you do not see him do it. They will show you his body, but it is just a man with his eyes closed. The part that might scare little kids is that they placed him under a freaky blue light. Aunt Josephine He lets her sink off the boat she is on into leech filled waters. She just goes down there is no struggling of gasping for air. The only thing that pops up is the banana peel that she ate before hand. Olaf says a bad word max twice. It is a pretty good movie. But if they make a sequel it will be more interesting than the first one. If you like to cry and think why did the characters do this why did the characters do that? You will like this movie in some parts there are adventure and excitement.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Not as good as the books

Teen, 13 years old Written byschuymarch1 April 9, 2008

Absolutely Wonderful...

This movie is absolutely wonderful.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Good

A Series of Unfortunate Events is a fun, dark fairy tale for kids. It's sort of a Tim Burton-style film, fairly gloomy and dark but also creative, clever, and funny. Although this is a good film, it's definitely not as good as the books. It still gets a thumbs up from me, though. Good for kids 9+