All member reviews for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Book's fans will enjoy, but too creepy for some.

Parent of a 5, 8, 13, and 16 year old Written bymommyslittledarlings August 10, 2011

A disgrace!

This film was utterly inappropriate for Mommy's little darlings Jennifer (16), Emily (13), Jake (8) and Max (5). It was a family choice due to Jennifer, Emily and Jake’s shared love of the books. However, when we began watching it, I was horrified to discover the dark and morbid sense of doom surrounding the three orphans. Max was very distressed at the idea of their house burning down (suspected arson) and I had to reassure him for the next few days that our house was not going to burn down as well. After this terrible event, they placed under the care of their frightening Guardian Count Olaf, a man who even I found disturbing, by their incompetent caregiver, Mr. Poe. Max began to cry in fright. Also, there is far too much tension throughout the film and the Baudelaire’s close to death scenes brought on by adults ( bad influence, most adults only wish the best for them). The Baudelaire’s are almost hit by a train and eaten by leeches. Traumatizing! They are also forced to witness the death’s of many family members. Terrible! My final complaints are the swearing used by the baby and Violet’s forced marriage. This movie is not suitable for any children, and is best left on the shelf.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byJenoi January 8, 2010

I wish their would be sequels!

This movie was fantastic, Jim Carrey's characters are hilarious. I only wish they would make more!!!
Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2010

A great great movie!

A great movie. It's really very funny in the begining how it opens up. It's a great adventure movie. Alot of thrill and suspense to. I reccomend this to you.
Adult Written byJenniferGrant April 9, 2008

Dark, dark, but good underlying message

I took my 8 1/2 year old son to Lemony Snicket tonight. He has seen (and loved) the Lord of the Rings movies and the Harry Potter movies. This movie, however, scared him and he didn't like it. He found it too creepy and eerie and the murders of the orphans' guardians by Olaf too disturbing. I loved the movie - think there is a lot of strong and good messages to it and I found it really entertaining. I loved the idea that unfortunate events can spur the beginning of a journey, that they bring out the best in people, that the kids were home when they were with each other, and a number of other messages. I liked what unique individuals each child was. I also like the honesty: bad things happen in life and you don't give up. "What would Violet do?" Seeing the movie together allowed my son and I to talk about such issues. I think tomorrow (or some day soon), we'll talk more about these things. I haven't read the books, so I can't speak to whether the movie is true to those stories. The deaths of the parents and benificent guardians and overall creepiness of the movie was too much for my son.
Parent of a 12 and 18+ year old Written bytbaudler1410 April 19, 2009

think twice before bringing someone 12 and down to this movie!!!!!!

It is a pretty good movie but be warned: their are very violent,frightening,and intense images and situations. Count Olaf is a very,very,very EVIL Role Model and murders people for money
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo February 8, 2015

Funny!

This is crazy amazing!! I love this movie so-ooo much!... except, a baby uses bad language. that was unexpected. otherwise, this is great!
Adult Written bySummerxoAshton November 8, 2014

Good but a bit deprssing

This film is amazing but at some points it is depressing but still a good film that's why a young rating im 12 and love it and cried at the ending.
Educator and Parent of a 5, 6, 8, and 10 year old Written byLisaHillSchoolStuff October 3, 2009
I agree with your reviewer: there are scary bits and parents & teachers should watch it with the children, but it has a positive message, that we should use the gifts we have to deal with a world that's not always sweetness and light.
Educator and Parent of a 8 year old Written bysouzakh April 9, 2008
Adult Written bycoricurbob@yahoo.com April 9, 2008

A movie based on my favorite books. Huzzah!

Not much to say except that I am probably obliged to love this movie, as I am obsessed with the books. I like that the filmmakers included some of the V.F.D. mystery which, in print, does not come to light until Book the Fifth. I did not like one of the revelations apparently put forth in the movie, though (Josephine's, on the boat...) You should know that this movie is different from the books. Please be okay with that. It's basically alternate-universe, and not intended to be exactly the same - Daniel Handler's original screenplay for it was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, a phrase which here means "rife with mysterious volunteers, turquoise sombreros, ninja-esque fights, and James Brown quotes." It was pretty awesome, actually.
Parent Written bybeautiful me June 9, 2013

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this was an amazing movie extreamly intreging and um I don't really no another word for it but AMAZING. kidz will like this movie if they understand that movies are just fake and arnt real.
Adult Written bywheeezer April 9, 2008

This is WEIRD!

From beginning to end, this is just a weird movie. I took my 10 year old to see it and afterwards he said, "It was weird" :I agree. It has no values I want to encourage in my children and it contained many persons I hope my children never meet the likes of. Save your money.
Adult Written byHaloFreak123 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byJjSmihal April 9, 2008

I liked the movie enough to rate it.

My husband and I succumbed to the pleadings of our 4 year old daughter and went to see the movie. I thought it would be too scary for her, but she was not afraid. I jumped out of my skin in the reptile room. She patted my hand and told me it would be okay, it is just a movie! She didn't understand that Count Olaf was in disguise over and over. She thought they were different characters and we couldn't convince her that it was all the same evil villian. She and I discussed the death of the parents, the letter that arrived, and how family sticks together and makes a home wherever they are. We just moved and this was the best theme for us. My husband thought this was one of the weirdest, dumbest movies he's ever seen. He was NOT a fan! FYI: I dreamed of that world all night last night!
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008
Adult Written bykellypeal April 9, 2008

Fun books. Fun movie.

Yes, it is sad that these children have to endure so much tragedy, and if this were based on a true story, I would find no humor what so ever. However, this is ficticious, therefore we can laugh at some of the ridiculous circumstances. Definitely know your child to determine if the subject matter will be dsitressing to them. But if your kids are 8 or older and not super sensitive, they will probably realize that this sort of thing does not happen everyday. My daughterr is 8 and had no problems dealing with it. But, 2 or 3 years ago I would have never taken her to see this. As far as the quality of the movie...the children are absolutely adorable and very wonderful little acotrs. And as always, Jim Carrey is perfect in his many roles. He is one of the greatest character actors of the 21st century. The script did not follow the books exactly, but most movies-from-books rarely do. Overall, I give it 2 thumbs up!
Parent Written byglide June 22, 2015

Interesting movie, great acting, very visual - for adults - BUT BUT BUT

My two girls were very upset with this movie and had tons of questions to ask - really kids should not see it by themselves. But they did not want to turn it off - and I probably should have. You will have to do a lot of explaining about murder, torture, exploitation, disaster, etc, etc, etc,. Jim Carey was amazing, the the little boy was great as well. The girls pouted a lot but was a strong role model. It was scarey and sadistic - but the kids watched it - and it could be watched over again -and again - it had such thick visual scenes and the plot was a bit complicated. It was too sophisticated for them but it did interest them. The little girl had a very foul mouth - which was totally unnecessary and my kids have never been exposed to those expressions before so it was very upsetting to me. Also there was a lot of adult innuendo between the villain and a widow - on two separate occasions before he sends her to her horrifying death. Actually it is a very violent and scarey movie - and even though it has some redeeming values - you as a parent should watch it first. In retrospect I should not have let the kids watch it - but had relied on a recommendation for a friend who must have a different set of values than we do.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHintzy411 November 13, 2009

11+

my friend read the series and thinks it's great
Adult Written byAlaricsMommy April 9, 2008

Boring!

This was a total waste of time for me and my son. He watched a little bit of it but decided to go play instead. I don't blame him. I was very close to turning this off. It was extremely boring. The acting of the children was okay, but I was very disappointed in Jim Carrey's performance. I thought the storyline was nothing special and I'm actually quite surprised my son wasn't scared of the movie. The fact that he kept trying to kill these children is something that really doesn't appeal to me. Yes, I may be an avid horror film buff, but I don't enjoy movies where children are harmed, or where there is an attempt at harm. This was a total waste of my time and my money.
Adult Written bydudeman123 April 9, 2008

ok

wen i went to the movies to see this i thought it wood b a dorkfest but it turned out to be an ok movie it actually get's kinda freaky at some points might be to scary for anyone under 7