All member reviews for Les Miserables

Teen, 13 years old Written byRango813 December 25, 2012

I LOVED it!!

This movie blew me away. I already knew most of the songs, and had listened to the album, so I expected something great. Boy, was I wrong! This movie isn't great at all; it's THE BEST! Seriously, I LOVED this movie, all of its 2 hr 41 minutes of it. There are some things I think may draw a red flag, but they are part of the plot. The first one that comes is that Fantine (Anne Hathaway) is kicked out of work and becomes a prostitute to pay for her child, Cosette. There is some of this depicted, such as her first time sleeping with a man for money, and a song, "Lovely Ladies", is all about prostitutes. The other thing is that *Spoiler Alert* a 12-year-old boy, Gavaroche, is shot by soilders. Besides those minor things, the only maybe negative I can say is, bring your tissues, this is a real tear-jerker! The ending made everyone sniff once or twice in my theater. This is my new favorite movie and will DEFINITELY see it again. EDIT: I have now seen the movie 9 times. I love it that much! It still makes me cry a ton. My dad saw some of it and he didn't like it (he doesn't like emotional stuff/movie musicals), but I still recommend it to everybody!
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 December 25, 2012

this film shines, even with low amounts of action

this slow, realistic, and surprisingly brutal adaptation of the play and book of the same name is a very good piece of filmmaking: th directing is good, th acting excellent, the costumes amazing, and the sets beautiful. theres only one catch: NOT ENOUGH ACTION!!!!!!! when there is, it is loud and sad, with people, including one child, getting shot, punched, slapped, sliced, and stabbed. guns and cannons are fired, people are seen being beaten, one man commits suicide and we here his bones crunch, people are seen in states of dismay, covered in dirt and scrapes. some bloody wounds. there is a scene with prostitutes, and men stare at womens breasts. a girl is seen stradling a Santa. language is kept mild, except for one s**t, one sl*t, and few uses of b***h. a scene of terribly drunk people. viewers will be grossed out during a sewer scene and where a family makes a "sausage"
Teen, 16 years old Written bysisterwhocares December 26, 2012

Hands down, one of the best musicals of all time!

I can only describe this movie in one word: unforgettable! The acting was outstanding, with heart-wrenching solos (especially "I Dreamed a Dream" by Anne Hathaway) and fantastic performances overall. The story, which is based on a book by Victor Hugo and a Broadway play, both of the same name, is the absolute highlight of the movie. It is a beautiful, heart-wrenching tale of poverty, forgiveness, love, and God's boundless grace. Even better, there is not just one main character, but many, all relating their personal stories in intimate solos with close-up camera shots. Not only solos, but other great songs are in this movie as well, since 98 or 99% of the dialogue is sung, not spoken. Notes for parents: this movie deals with some very gritty themes, including prostitution, so there are a few suggestive man-on-woman scenes and bawdy lyrics (in one song, a group of workers call Fantine all the possible slang words you could use for "prostitute"). There is also some violence, and some very young characters are shot to death in a mini-battle. However, the movie goes out of its way to make these actions appear detestable, not glamorous, making it a great movie for mature adolescents. Despite the fact that the movie felt a little too fast in the middle and a little too slow at the end, this is an amazing movie that you do not want to miss. Absolutely beautiful!
Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2012

BEST Movie Ever

This was hands down the BEST film I have EVER seen. I may have said that about other movies but I truly mean this. I laughed, I cried.... I HIGHLY recommend it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBooks rule December 29, 2012

Great

This movie is sad, but uplifting. The violence is toward the end of the movie, during the revolution. People are shot and stabbed, with blood shown. There is some language, but not a lot. There are some sexual references and prostitution. There is one scene with a prostitute with her client, but it's not explicit. This is a good movie and was well made. However, if you hate musicals don't attend this one, pretty much all the dialogue is in song.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlexia Joi December 27, 2012

Le Mis is probably the best musical i've ever seen!

This movie is amazing! I saw it 2 days ago and still catch myself singing the songs! @ the end of the movie there was'nt a single dry eye. Runny makeup is NOT reccomended as you will cry. If not your a monster. There is a sex scene when Anne Hathaway turns to prostitution. Really it's just 1 second of her face and a man on top of her. He goes stiff, relaxes (yuck, but hey. Nature) and get soff her. Nothing is shown, he's even wearing a shirt, so YAY for modesty. OF course theres major boobage, back then if your breasts werent either touching your chin or suffocating you, you were'nt a true woman. Take a 13 year old for a short awkard moment and an amzing movie, or anyone older for just an amazing movie. But seriously, it's a 2 and a half hour movie. Don't bring anyone younger than 12. Most of it is singing about feelings. They'll either fall asleep or be disruptive.
Teen, 15 years old Written byblackrabbit514 December 26, 2012

BEST MOVIE (yet somewhat sad) MOVIE EVER!

This movie is AMAZING! I just went to see it with my sister and we were touched. The movie was intense, moving, and very sad. We cried through the entire thing, and came out bawling in the end. We're both very week-tear-glanned, so it was much more sad and moving to me personally than it may be for someone else. I have to say this is by far one of my favorite movies of all time and totally recommend this movie to EVERYONE even thinking about it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBowman373 December 27, 2012

Is appropriate for teenagers, but know your child

This was an excellent film! It was a very sad one, though, so that might be something to consider for your child. It has a positive message of hope in hard times, and the main protagonist, Jean Valjean, is an excellent role model for being generous, caring, and loving. There is violence in this film, although not an excessive amount. It mainly revolves around a group of student revolutionaries rebelling against the French government, and there is a lot of shooting and blood, along with a little bit of stabbing. A small child is shot and killed, along with many students. It isn't gory at all, but there is a lot of blood. There is also a scene where a man commits suicide by jumping off of a bridge, and you can hear the crunch of his bones when he falls. There is sex in this film as well, and prostitution is a major part of its early parts. One of the main characters is forced into prostitution to support her child, and they do show her being raped. It only shows her from the neck up, however, so there isn't any nudity there. There is lots of cleavage and suggestive themes, and a song and a few scenes focus mainly on the prostitutes. There is also some very brief sex later on between a prostitute and a man dressed as St. Nicholas. The sex is not glorified, however, and is shown to express even further how desperate and poor the citizens of France were. There is a lot of drinking in one scene, and many drunkards are shown. It isn't that bad in my opinion, but of course, it's your decision for your child. So all in all, this is a very good film with a great message. It is very sad (hence the title) and there is some sex and violence, so it just depends on how mature your child is. I hope that this helped!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBroadwaygirl14 January 23, 2013

wow:) <3

Okay. Me and my friends went to see this movie and it was amazing. Great for MATURE teens. Please don't take your ten year olds to this. my best friend and I were crying our eyes out. The way the movie is set is very vunrable. Many peaple die including little boys. Blood fill the street in one screae. As for the acting it was one of the best movies ever.Anne Hathaway is wonderful. So are all them. You can tell it some are from Broadway. All amazing. So yeah. Luv to all:)
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 December 31, 2012

Resurrecting the movie musical

Tom Hooper's astonishingly epic musical breathes life into a genre that's been dead for quite some time. All the actors are a revelation, notably Jackman as the constantly distressed lead, Crowe as his unstopping captor and especially Hathaway, in a brief role as a woman who's given everything for the sake of her child. Expect plenty of Oscars handed to this film, completely worthy of it, I might add!
Teen, 15 years old Written byfieldhockey January 6, 2013

Great movie

This was an amazing movie, with some sexual stuff, but it's not too big of a part, and the value of the movie definitely outweighs the small things that aren't appropriate. It's a great cultural change for many teens today, so good for them to see.
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2013

Beautiful, Amazing Movie

Les Miserables was a beautiful movie experience. It is a story about love, hope, passion, and revolution. Magnificent movie, with touching songs, and wonderful actors and actresses. This movie is amazing, but not something younger people should be seeing. There are very touchy subjects like prostitution(in one scene a woman being used for prostitution) and war. Many lifelike war scenes using loud gunfire might scare little kids! Overall, this movie is a beautiful story about love, hope, passion, and revolution. Hands on the best movie I've ever seen.
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2013

Lovely musical :)

I loved Les Miserables! The musical part of it was unusual but I learned to love it! Parents should pause for kids 12 and under because the sexual parts were a little disturbing...(I looked away because I could tell they were coming) and there was quite a bit of violence...it happened so fast though its not too bad. :) If you think your tween/teen is ready though, then they should totally see it!
Teen, 17 years old Written bylmtrav January 1, 2013

Excellent movie. A must to go see.

As a musical and history nerd, this movie was perfect for me. I loved it. The acting was superb, and the choice to sing live was excellent because it gave much more emotion to the songs. Children over the age of 12 should be fine. The part with the barricade is intense and includes the death of a child, and the part with where Anne Hathaway's character has to turn to prostitution is pretty disturbing. Many reviews have made this part sound much more intense than it is because of the sex. The sex itself isn't graphic, but what is disturbing about it is the harsh reality of the world at that time and that women actually had to do stuff like that because they had no one to turn to. I would suggest discussing a bit about the French Revolution with your children before seeing this movie because it makes what is going on in France in this movie make a lot more sense.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKiki682 January 7, 2013

Les Miserables didn't make me miserable!

There are some scenes in which I would suggest skipping (Master of the House, scene before I dreamed a Dream). The second half is spectacular and a great history lesson. It is circling around the June Revolution, part of the aftermath of the French Revolution, and accurate. It is very emotional, has spectacular music, and is heart-wrenching. I love it!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTeenMovieExpert January 6, 2013

Les Miserables

This is a VERY emotional movie. It has a great story line and the music and singing is amazing. It took my breath away. I would surely recommend it to everyone!
Teen, 14 years old Written byHeq073198 January 3, 2013

You don't need to have read the book to appreciate Les Mis!

Going into this movie, I was anxious about being lost in the plot having not read the gargantuan book. Of course I know it was great, but it was so long I know I would lose interest and end up wasting money. But I didn't have any trouble keeping up with the plot, and I actually was so enthralled with this movie! Hugh Jackman gives a thrilling performance as a reformed thief, and, in my opinion, Russell Crow had the most moving performance out of the entire all-star cast. I loved Anne Hathaway as Fantine, but was disappointed she wasn't in the movie more. My favorite song was Eponine's. But I don't understand Marius being so obsessed with Cosette. In the middle of a battle all he can think of is "Hey Eponine did you get my letter from Cosette? Oh, you just got stabbed and you're bleeding to death, nevermind...." That almost made me dislike Cosette, when Amanda Seyfreid surprised me with her vocals and convincing performance. And of course, Helena Bonham Carter was a joy to watch. Overall, Les Mis shows themes of faith with beautiful songs and historical accuracy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDramaGal9090 January 1, 2013

Good role models, but very graphic!

Les Miserables (AKA Les Miz) is an extremely good depiction of French Revolution-Era Paris. The movie has very good role models, Jean Valjean and Cosette generouslygive to the poor and Fantine is shown as a devoted mother who will literally do anything for her daughter. Don't be fooled though! Despite the good role models, there is a lot of graphic violence and sexual themes. I'd say very mature 12-years-olds can handle it, but be wary!
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2013

A young girls review

Some people do get drunk and there is one seen that is a bit inapropriate but other whys its supsosed to be a great movie i know all the songs have seen the other movie not the new one there is bad words but it is a wonderful musical
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2013

Awesome movie, harder concepts

Les Miserables is a fantastic movie and the violence isn't an issue but the concepts could be harder for younger children. I'm 11 and understood it and it didn't have a lot of violence or sex. If your child doesn't know what a prostitute is or is sensitive around blood then it might be a bit intense. I think most 10 year olds could see this and some 9 year olds. It is a great movie and I would recommend it to anyone!