All member reviews for Les Miserables

Teen, 13 years old Written byRango813 December 25, 2012

I LOVED it!!

This movie blew me away. I already knew most of the songs, and had listened to the album, so I expected something great. Boy, was I wrong! This movie isn't great at all; it's THE BEST! Seriously, I LOVED this movie, all of its 2 hr 41 minutes of it. There are some things I think may draw a red flag, but they are part of the plot. The first one that comes is that Fantine (Anne Hathaway) is kicked out of work and becomes a prostitute to pay for her child, Cosette. There is some of this depicted, such as her first time sleeping with a man for money, and a song, "Lovely Ladies", is all about prostitutes. The other thing is that *Spoiler Alert* a 12-year-old boy, Gavaroche, is shot by soilders. Besides those minor things, the only maybe negative I can say is, bring your tissues, this is a real tear-jerker! The ending made everyone sniff once or twice in my theater. This is my new favorite movie and will DEFINITELY see it again. EDIT: I have now seen the movie 9 times. I love it that much! It still makes me cry a ton. My dad saw some of it and he didn't like it (he doesn't like emotional stuff/movie musicals), but I still recommend it to everybody!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDramaGal9090 January 1, 2013

Good role models, but very graphic!

Les Miserables (AKA Les Miz) is an extremely good depiction of French Revolution-Era Paris. The movie has very good role models, Jean Valjean and Cosette generouslygive to the poor and Fantine is shown as a devoted mother who will literally do anything for her daughter. Don't be fooled though! Despite the good role models, there is a lot of graphic violence and sexual themes. I'd say very mature 12-years-olds can handle it, but be wary!
Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2013

Sad but amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a great story, their's great music, great actrors, and great everything. Warning very sad!!!! Probably not for kids 11 & under unless they are very mature. Their is much blood and much,much violence. But overall it's just amazing!!
Kid, 12 years old June 4, 2013

______________________________________________________________________

I still cant believe that there where so many famous actors/actresses singing. I really enjoyed it and i think this is a powerful but family friendly movie. Not scary either.
Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2013

Les Miserables, definitely for 12 year olds.

GREAT MOVIE! Loved this movie and great in theatre too. I think it can definitely be watched by the age of 12. Depending on the person, maybe 11, but no younger.
Kid, 11 years old March 26, 2013

BAD

terrible movie my mom,my sister, and i left cause it ways terrible and it got boring!
Kid, 11 years old February 10, 2013

Just some minor scenes, but its AWESOME!

I'm 11 and I saw this movie last weekend. I really recommend it for kids 11 and up. We're mature enough to handle some of the scenes. The only thing I would say is that its an amazing movie, not as sappy as most people think it is. Watch out for prostitution, inappropriate people, and brutally sad parts. Its all up to the parents.
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2013

Beautiful, Amazing Movie

Les Miserables was a beautiful movie experience. It is a story about love, hope, passion, and revolution. Magnificent movie, with touching songs, and wonderful actors and actresses. This movie is amazing, but not something younger people should be seeing. There are very touchy subjects like prostitution(in one scene a woman being used for prostitution) and war. Many lifelike war scenes using loud gunfire might scare little kids! Overall, this movie is a beautiful story about love, hope, passion, and revolution. Hands on the best movie I've ever seen.
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2013

A young girls review

Some people do get drunk and there is one seen that is a bit inapropriate but other whys its supsosed to be a great movie i know all the songs have seen the other movie not the new one there is bad words but it is a wonderful musical
Teen, 17 years old Written bylmtrav January 1, 2013

Excellent movie. A must to go see.

As a musical and history nerd, this movie was perfect for me. I loved it. The acting was superb, and the choice to sing live was excellent because it gave much more emotion to the songs. Children over the age of 12 should be fine. The part with the barricade is intense and includes the death of a child, and the part with where Anne Hathaway's character has to turn to prostitution is pretty disturbing. Many reviews have made this part sound much more intense than it is because of the sex. The sex itself isn't graphic, but what is disturbing about it is the harsh reality of the world at that time and that women actually had to do stuff like that because they had no one to turn to. I would suggest discussing a bit about the French Revolution with your children before seeing this movie because it makes what is going on in France in this movie make a lot more sense.
Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2012

BEST Movie Ever

This was hands down the BEST film I have EVER seen. I may have said that about other movies but I truly mean this. I laughed, I cried.... I HIGHLY recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCSM.com June 1, 2015

Great movie/musical

I saw this in 2012, and I had not had THE talk, so it was a little bit of an awkward situation between me and my dad. (I was 9 at the time) It is a great movie, but I would preview it before showing it to my kid. Also, in a particular scene, they are making people drunk so that they can sell the person's things to someone else, so I was like,"What are they doing?" So I would explain that to your child. 11 OUT OF 10 STARS.
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2013

Les Misérables Review ~ lesmis_24601

It is a wonderful, sad, but beautiful movie. I first watched it when I was eleven years old. It is now my favourite movie, and I encourage you to let your 14 and up children the opportunity to watch it. However, for younger children, it does have mature subject matter, including swearing, cursing, sex, prostitution, consumerism, and some scary moments with guns. There is also some scariness for younger children who struggle with blood. Of course it is fake, but it is very realistic. There is also lots of drunk people, beaten people, and smoking. The live singing is beautiful, and very enjoyable. So just think of your kids, think if they could handle the subject matter, and ask them if you don't know. I hope my review helped. - lesmis_24601 :D
Kid, 11 years old May 18, 2013

One of the Best Movies Ever!

Probably one of the best movies I have ever seen. This beautiful movie supports the idea of faith in God and that everybody is connected. I love the music and characters. Know your kid, though. My little sister is a mature nine-year-old and was able to handle this movie, but not all kids. A movie full of love, faith, romance, and the idea of God sustaining you.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylinas101 April 22, 2013

beautful

This epic and breathtaking musical about true love and religion with an outstanding soundtrack and amazing acting is the movie of the year in my opinion but younger kids beware many upsetting scenes and deaths of main characters a women is forced for money into prostitution and very bloddy war senes but this movie is inspiring and beatfuly made and sung!
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2013

Awesome movie, harder concepts

Les Miserables is a fantastic movie and the violence isn't an issue but the concepts could be harder for younger children. I'm 11 and understood it and it didn't have a lot of violence or sex. If your child doesn't know what a prostitute is or is sensitive around blood then it might be a bit intense. I think most 10 year olds could see this and some 9 year olds. It is a great movie and I would recommend it to anyone!
Kid, 10 years old January 19, 2013

INCREDIBLE MOVIE!

I am almost 11 and I went to say Les Miserables. It is one of (if not the most) the most incredible movies I have ever seen. I think if you're child is 10 or 11 and older, and will understand the history and mood of the movie, is able to see bloody images or could hide their eyes (I hid my eyes!) ,and is okay with hearing about prostitution, and will not look when there are inappropriate moments, likes operas (because most of the 2 1/2 hour movie is sung) then, you HAVE TO SEE IT! The acting, singing, and story is amazing! It is moving, tragic but, not depressing at all, and you will be crying, laughing and smiling the minute the credits start!
Teen, 15 years old Written byfieldhockey January 6, 2013

Great movie

This was an amazing movie, with some sexual stuff, but it's not too big of a part, and the value of the movie definitely outweighs the small things that aren't appropriate. It's a great cultural change for many teens today, so good for them to see.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBooks rule December 29, 2012

Great

This movie is sad, but uplifting. The violence is toward the end of the movie, during the revolution. People are shot and stabbed, with blood shown. There is some language, but not a lot. There are some sexual references and prostitution. There is one scene with a prostitute with her client, but it's not explicit. This is a good movie and was well made. However, if you hate musicals don't attend this one, pretty much all the dialogue is in song.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlexia Joi December 27, 2012

Le Mis is probably the best musical i've ever seen!

This movie is amazing! I saw it 2 days ago and still catch myself singing the songs! @ the end of the movie there was'nt a single dry eye. Runny makeup is NOT reccomended as you will cry. If not your a monster. There is a sex scene when Anne Hathaway turns to prostitution. Really it's just 1 second of her face and a man on top of her. He goes stiff, relaxes (yuck, but hey. Nature) and get soff her. Nothing is shown, he's even wearing a shirt, so YAY for modesty. OF course theres major boobage, back then if your breasts werent either touching your chin or suffocating you, you were'nt a true woman. Take a 13 year old for a short awkard moment and an amzing movie, or anyone older for just an amazing movie. But seriously, it's a 2 and a half hour movie. Don't bring anyone younger than 12. Most of it is singing about feelings. They'll either fall asleep or be disruptive.