All member reviews for Les Miserables

Excellent film adaptation of gritty, heartbreaking musical.

Teen, 15 years old Written byPrincessNoriBori January 18, 2013

Great but heavy film.

I really loved this movie, but it was very, very heavy. They didn't call it Les Heureux for a reason. There's some sexual content and violence, but that's not really why I gave it the rating I did. It's hard to attach an age rating to this movie because while it could be traumatising for younger kids, kids who technically could see it just might not enjoy it, though it is truly a great movie. I really think that the best way to gauge this is have your child watch the trailer. The trailer captures the mood of the movie very well, so if they still want to see it after watching that then they should be fine. It's definitely worth a watch though - I really, really enjoyed it, especially Anne Hathaway's performance. Breathtaking.
Adult Written byH2O Family January 17, 2013

Les Miserables

Teen, 15 years old Written byKenny G January 16, 2013

Awsome

It is great the Best movie I have ever seen
Kid, 10 years old January 13, 2013

Awesome!

Perfect for teens that have seen the second t last twilight movie! watch this with your kid as you sob and enjoy the show. WATCH!
Teen, 13 years old Written byseaotter77 January 12, 2013

MUCH better than I expected

I went to watch this movie after missing The Hobbit. My expectations were not high, but I came away loving every minute of it. Les Miserables does have a lot of violence, involving gun fights; however, it is set after the French Revolution, so the violence is historical and downscale. Most of the bad language will go over your heads -- the parts are sung. There is lots of drinking and a brief, 5-second glimpse of a makeout: nothing descriptive. Overall, I think that even 12 year olds will be able to handle this, but it depends on the family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfruitbooks January 12, 2013

best movie ever

This is a wonderful movie and ok for kids 12 and up. Some 10 and most 11 year olds may be able to watch it. The sexual content is being a little over exaggerated. The prostitution was a very small section of the movie. Anne Hathaway (Fantine) has commits prostitution once out of desperation for money to provide for her daughter. Nothing is shown a man gets on top of her and then it just shows her head while she sings. The violence is the biggest issue. There is a lot of blood in the battle but nothing to gory. Some kids might be scared by it. I cried 3 times during the movie. It was a very sad but uplifting movie. I might go see it again.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMiley Preeston January 11, 2013

Reccomend!!

Movie was very well put together. I'm 16 and I took my 12 year old sister with me and she loved it. The sexual scenes are under 6 sec. They overall thing is to pause for violence. This movie is based on French Revolution so be expected of that. One more thing to know is that this movie is a musical. I don't prefer musicals but I fond this movie pleasing. 100% reccomended.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJoanna226 January 10, 2013

Magnificent stage musical proves for an amazing movie.

I have been a fan of the musical for a while and was really excited for the movie. I was a tad nervous when I went to see it because I thought the movie might veer from the play and book. Thankfully they stayed on track and brought the theater musical to life in a way that didn't seem possible. I found myself satisfied at the end of the movie and I really enjoyed it. But there were a few exceptions. Firstly they had some weird camera angles that got in the way some times. Next, they recorded the voices live. It wasn't bad, it just took a little getting used to and by the end I appreciated it. The last issue isn't really a complaint but more of a heads up. There's a minor scene the deals with prostitution. It's no reveling, but not for young eyes either. Normally a scene like that would bug me because it would be unnecessary. But In a honesty a was a reality for many people back then, and even though Fantine never existed there probably were allot of people who went through something similar. If you want you have kids or siblings under 12 and they want to see it, I recommend waiting for it to come out on DVD. Then skip the scenes " Lovely Ladies" and possibly "Master of the house". But other than that Les Mis. was an amazing and extremely powerful film. If you are over 13 and want to see it I would strongly recommend it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKiki682 January 7, 2013

Les Miserables didn't make me miserable!

There are some scenes in which I would suggest skipping (Master of the House, scene before I dreamed a Dream). The second half is spectacular and a great history lesson. It is circling around the June Revolution, part of the aftermath of the French Revolution, and accurate. It is very emotional, has spectacular music, and is heart-wrenching. I love it!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTeenMovieExpert January 6, 2013

Les Miserables

This is a VERY emotional movie. It has a great story line and the music and singing is amazing. It took my breath away. I would surely recommend it to everyone!
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2013

Lovely musical :)

I loved Les Miserables! The musical part of it was unusual but I learned to love it! Parents should pause for kids 12 and under because the sexual parts were a little disturbing...(I looked away because I could tell they were coming) and there was quite a bit of violence...it happened so fast though its not too bad. :) If you think your tween/teen is ready though, then they should totally see it!
Parent Written bynsfb January 4, 2013

liked the movie but glad I HADNT brought the kids!

The movie is rated NC16 (not for children under 16) in Singapore and I think they got this right. The story and music are inspiring, and the movie keeps well to the stage version, but it is still the story of the struggling of the poor, played out in all its grittiness. The grittiness of the story is much more visual in the movie than in the play, making it less appropriate for kids. I liked the movie, but was glad I HADNT brought my kids.
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2013

Les Miserables was Phenomenal, Breathtaking, and Amazing

Les Miserables was AMAZING but not for younger kids or tweens. The story line is very gritty and emotional. Anne Hathaway becomes a prostitute to pay for her child. There is one scene in which sex is implied but nothing to inappropriate is shown. Later in the movie, towards the end the movie gets violent. Pools of blood and dead bodies are shown all over the town streets. Some other iffy moments in the movie including characters covered in waste stuck in a sewer and a family making a sausage by cutting cats up. Overall this movie is really inappropriate but a mature movie that everyone over 14 should see. A must see!
Teen, 14 years old Written byHeq073198 January 3, 2013

You don't need to have read the book to appreciate Les Mis!

Going into this movie, I was anxious about being lost in the plot having not read the gargantuan book. Of course I know it was great, but it was so long I know I would lose interest and end up wasting money. But I didn't have any trouble keeping up with the plot, and I actually was so enthralled with this movie! Hugh Jackman gives a thrilling performance as a reformed thief, and, in my opinion, Russell Crow had the most moving performance out of the entire all-star cast. I loved Anne Hathaway as Fantine, but was disappointed she wasn't in the movie more. My favorite song was Eponine's. But I don't understand Marius being so obsessed with Cosette. In the middle of a battle all he can think of is "Hey Eponine did you get my letter from Cosette? Oh, you just got stabbed and you're bleeding to death, nevermind...." That almost made me dislike Cosette, when Amanda Seyfreid surprised me with her vocals and convincing performance. And of course, Helena Bonham Carter was a joy to watch. Overall, Les Mis shows themes of faith with beautiful songs and historical accuracy.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byToronto Mom January 3, 2013

Moving but disturbing

I love this musical in its onstage version, which has fantastic singers (unlike a few of the movie characters) and is able to portray difficult subjects, like prostitution, that adults understand but will go over kids' heads, in a way that makes it appropriate for all audiences. However, the movie includes some graphic details the theatre version only implies, such as an ugly sexual scene between a captain and a despairing prostitute. Much of the emotional content of this movie is not appropriate for kids or young teens. For older persons, however, it contains some powerful emotional performances and the images and empathy with characters will haunt one for days afterward.
Adult Written byyayne January 3, 2013

The most beautifully brutal musical

Although i think this is one of he best films i have ever seen, i am not going to talk about how great it is. I am going to say how brutal it is. The entire purpose for the original story was to stand up for the poor of France and to show their suffering. There is violence, prostitution, sex, drinking, lots of death, and heaps of cruelty in this story. Thats what makes it so great. If someone tried to sugarcoat the story, then they might as well kick Victor Hugo where it hurts. Its clearly not for younger kids. Know how your kid feels about seeing certain things, like people being shot. There are quick bits of people having sex, but not too much skin is shown. People die, thats no surprise, but there isnt that much gore. Some blood, maybe, and noise from crunching bones, but this is far from a Tarentino flick. Im not saying its clean, but its not the unrealistically overdone. Its realisticly 19th century France.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylibo_87 January 2, 2013

A great movie for 13 and up

Based off of one of the best broadway musicals of all time, this movie adaptation of Les Miserables is excellent. The cinematography is spot-on, and most of the music is great as well. Some of the actors are not singers, so the singing is good, but not excellent. As a big Les Mis fan, I absolutely love this movie. But for people that are not as in to broadway, the 2 hour and 37 minute run time might be a bit too long. Also, there are multiple scenes of war, and there are a few scenes that show people dying of gun shot wounds. On top of this, there is a scene of prostitution and a song that explains the explicit life of a prostitute. There are also a few references to drinking in a song performed at an inn with drunk guests. Overall, Tom Hooper did a fantastic job changing the esteemed stage show into a well executed motion picture. I highly recommend this movie to anyone of 13 years of age and older.
Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2013

Best Movie EVER!

I LOVE this movie. This is probably the best movie I have seen in my life, but it isn't appropriate for kids. There is a whole of violence including people getting shot, beaten, kicked, punched, slashed, shot, a small boy getting shot twice by laughing soldiers, and a suicide. There is also a lot of sex including prostitution, sexual themes, and a whole lot of cleavage. But looking past the disgusting parts, this movie is beautiful. I tried when Fontine (Anne Hathaway) sang 'I Dreamed and Dream' and when she died. I also cried when Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) died, and I also unexpectedly cried when Javert (Russell Crowe) commited suicide. Also the whole movie focuses on faith, love and the message 'to love another human is to see the face of God'. Go and see this, it will make you laugh, cry, and want to see it twice.
Teen, 15 years old Written byloppyiest January 1, 2013

Slightly Disappointing.

Good actors, great visuals, just overly long and it could have done with less singing and more dialogue.
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2013

Very sad, but very good!

Les Miserables is a movie I loved and will see again! It involves some themes that children may find disturbing but if they aren't ready for those themes, they won't pick up on them. Towards the end of the movie many people are killed, including a small boy, and I was bawling by the end so you might want to warn them about what is going to happen first. Telling your child the storyline first would be a good idea because if they still want to see it after they know what is going to happen, they should be fine! Overall, fantastic movie with absolutely magnificent singing!