Excellent film adaptation of gritty, heartbreaking musical.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMoonlight255 February 13, 2013

Awesome Movie

This waas a great movie with great postive messages.
Parent Written bySuzique WA February 5, 2013

Worth Every Minute

This is a story of hopes, dreams, and fighting for something you believe in. It is also a story of repentance, forgiveness, and a right relationship with God.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Euphoric User January 26, 2013

Two words and four syllables; A Masterpiece

Les Miserables must be one of the most brilliant movies I have ever seen! I resisted the urge to cry (thus it was hard), and I pity The Miserables very much, I could just shower them in a bucket filled with splendid passion! And by the way the movie was breathtakingly wonderful yet heartbreaking. Tom Hooper did a brilliant job on this... And that Anne Hathaway's I Dreamed a Dream shattered my heart to an infinite number of pieces. Though I was only supposed to type the following in (but my feels were towering over me like it's Burj Khalifa): Watch this wondrous, and heartwrenching movie, OR ELSE...
Parent of a 14 year old Written byRosecastle January 25, 2013

Loved it!

Incredible movie adaptation. Enjoyed every minute. I have heard others critisise the movie, but I simply took it at face value....it was a musical made by actors for the movies, not a theatre production made by singers for the stage....two very different formats and I have chosen to look at it for what it is, not what it itsn't! I'm not going into the whole saga of the movie-enuf has been well written by others already. I will say that I have an 11 y/o who I decided NOT to take, although she loves the musical and has seen the non-musical, French, (subtitled) TV version (Gerard Depardieu) and loved that too. Having seen it I now believe I made the right choice, simply because for much of the film there is such a sense of despair and despondency it may have been too much for her sensibility. Also, seeing the young boy die (even tho she knows that occurs) was very startling and the graphic representation of the suicide scene even shocked me in its clarity. As for the mention by others about sex scenes, i think they have been overstated by some and would have gone over my child's head at least. The language...it was mild, intermittent and it's in the stage version anyway, so no shocks there. My decision was inevitably based on a maturity level and I believe I made the right choice to NOT take my 11 y/o. However, my 15 y/o will be seeing it with a friend and I believe it's totally apprropriate and she will love it. My biggest criticism....it's a long film, I wish there was an intermission!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovieguy97 January 22, 2013

Loved it

Amazing
Teen, 15 years old Written byPrincessNoriBori January 18, 2013

Great but heavy film.

I really loved this movie, but it was very, very heavy. They didn't call it Les Heureux for a reason. There's some sexual content and violence, but that's not really why I gave it the rating I did. It's hard to attach an age rating to this movie because while it could be traumatising for younger kids, kids who technically could see it just might not enjoy it, though it is truly a great movie. I really think that the best way to gauge this is have your child watch the trailer. The trailer captures the mood of the movie very well, so if they still want to see it after watching that then they should be fine. It's definitely worth a watch though - I really, really enjoyed it, especially Anne Hathaway's performance. Breathtaking.
Adult Written byH2O Family January 17, 2013

Les Miserables

Teen, 15 years old Written byKenny G January 16, 2013

Awsome

It is great the Best movie I have ever seen
Teen, 13 years old Written byseaotter77 January 12, 2013

MUCH better than I expected

I went to watch this movie after missing The Hobbit. My expectations were not high, but I came away loving every minute of it. Les Miserables does have a lot of violence, involving gun fights; however, it is set after the French Revolution, so the violence is historical and downscale. Most of the bad language will go over your heads -- the parts are sung. There is lots of drinking and a brief, 5-second glimpse of a makeout: nothing descriptive. Overall, I think that even 12 year olds will be able to handle this, but it depends on the family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfruitbooks January 12, 2013

best movie ever

This is a wonderful movie and ok for kids 12 and up. Some 10 and most 11 year olds may be able to watch it. The sexual content is being a little over exaggerated. The prostitution was a very small section of the movie. Anne Hathaway (Fantine) has commits prostitution once out of desperation for money to provide for her daughter. Nothing is shown a man gets on top of her and then it just shows her head while she sings. The violence is the biggest issue. There is a lot of blood in the battle but nothing to gory. Some kids might be scared by it. I cried 3 times during the movie. It was a very sad but uplifting movie. I might go see it again.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMiley Preeston January 11, 2013

Reccomend!!

Movie was very well put together. I'm 16 and I took my 12 year old sister with me and she loved it. The sexual scenes are under 6 sec. They overall thing is to pause for violence. This movie is based on French Revolution so be expected of that. One more thing to know is that this movie is a musical. I don't prefer musicals but I fond this movie pleasing. 100% reccomended.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJoanna226 January 10, 2013

Magnificent stage musical proves for an amazing movie.

I have been a fan of the musical for a while and was really excited for the movie. I was a tad nervous when I went to see it because I thought the movie might veer from the play and book. Thankfully they stayed on track and brought the theater musical to life in a way that didn't seem possible. I found myself satisfied at the end of the movie and I really enjoyed it. But there were a few exceptions. Firstly they had some weird camera angles that got in the way some times. Next, they recorded the voices live. It wasn't bad, it just took a little getting used to and by the end I appreciated it. The last issue isn't really a complaint but more of a heads up. There's a minor scene the deals with prostitution. It's no reveling, but not for young eyes either. Normally a scene like that would bug me because it would be unnecessary. But In a honesty a was a reality for many people back then, and even though Fantine never existed there probably were allot of people who went through something similar. If you want you have kids or siblings under 12 and they want to see it, I recommend waiting for it to come out on DVD. Then skip the scenes " Lovely Ladies" and possibly "Master of the house". But other than that Les Mis. was an amazing and extremely powerful film. If you are over 13 and want to see it I would strongly recommend it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKiki682 January 7, 2013

Les Miserables didn't make me miserable!

There are some scenes in which I would suggest skipping (Master of the House, scene before I dreamed a Dream). The second half is spectacular and a great history lesson. It is circling around the June Revolution, part of the aftermath of the French Revolution, and accurate. It is very emotional, has spectacular music, and is heart-wrenching. I love it!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTeenMovieExpert January 6, 2013

Les Miserables

This is a VERY emotional movie. It has a great story line and the music and singing is amazing. It took my breath away. I would surely recommend it to everyone!
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2013

Lovely musical :)

I loved Les Miserables! The musical part of it was unusual but I learned to love it! Parents should pause for kids 12 and under because the sexual parts were a little disturbing...(I looked away because I could tell they were coming) and there was quite a bit of violence...it happened so fast though its not too bad. :) If you think your tween/teen is ready though, then they should totally see it!
Parent Written bynsfb January 4, 2013

liked the movie but glad I HADNT brought the kids!

The movie is rated NC16 (not for children under 16) in Singapore and I think they got this right. The story and music are inspiring, and the movie keeps well to the stage version, but it is still the story of the struggling of the poor, played out in all its grittiness. The grittiness of the story is much more visual in the movie than in the play, making it less appropriate for kids. I liked the movie, but was glad I HADNT brought my kids.
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2013

Les Miserables was Phenomenal, Breathtaking, and Amazing

Les Miserables was AMAZING but not for younger kids or tweens. The story line is very gritty and emotional. Anne Hathaway becomes a prostitute to pay for her child. There is one scene in which sex is implied but nothing to inappropriate is shown. Later in the movie, towards the end the movie gets violent. Pools of blood and dead bodies are shown all over the town streets. Some other iffy moments in the movie including characters covered in waste stuck in a sewer and a family making a sausage by cutting cats up. Overall this movie is really inappropriate but a mature movie that everyone over 14 should see. A must see!
Teen, 14 years old Written byHeq073198 January 3, 2013

You don't need to have read the book to appreciate Les Mis!

Going into this movie, I was anxious about being lost in the plot having not read the gargantuan book. Of course I know it was great, but it was so long I know I would lose interest and end up wasting money. But I didn't have any trouble keeping up with the plot, and I actually was so enthralled with this movie! Hugh Jackman gives a thrilling performance as a reformed thief, and, in my opinion, Russell Crow had the most moving performance out of the entire all-star cast. I loved Anne Hathaway as Fantine, but was disappointed she wasn't in the movie more. My favorite song was Eponine's. But I don't understand Marius being so obsessed with Cosette. In the middle of a battle all he can think of is "Hey Eponine did you get my letter from Cosette? Oh, you just got stabbed and you're bleeding to death, nevermind...." That almost made me dislike Cosette, when Amanda Seyfreid surprised me with her vocals and convincing performance. And of course, Helena Bonham Carter was a joy to watch. Overall, Les Mis shows themes of faith with beautiful songs and historical accuracy.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byToronto Mom January 3, 2013

Moving but disturbing

I love this musical in its onstage version, which has fantastic singers (unlike a few of the movie characters) and is able to portray difficult subjects, like prostitution, that adults understand but will go over kids' heads, in a way that makes it appropriate for all audiences. However, the movie includes some graphic details the theatre version only implies, such as an ugly sexual scene between a captain and a despairing prostitute. Much of the emotional content of this movie is not appropriate for kids or young teens. For older persons, however, it contains some powerful emotional performances and the images and empathy with characters will haunt one for days afterward.
Adult Written byyayne January 3, 2013

The most beautifully brutal musical

Although i think this is one of he best films i have ever seen, i am not going to talk about how great it is. I am going to say how brutal it is. The entire purpose for the original story was to stand up for the poor of France and to show their suffering. There is violence, prostitution, sex, drinking, lots of death, and heaps of cruelty in this story. Thats what makes it so great. If someone tried to sugarcoat the story, then they might as well kick Victor Hugo where it hurts. Its clearly not for younger kids. Know how your kid feels about seeing certain things, like people being shot. There are quick bits of people having sex, but not too much skin is shown. People die, thats no surprise, but there isnt that much gore. Some blood, maybe, and noise from crunching bones, but this is far from a Tarentino flick. Im not saying its clean, but its not the unrealistically overdone. Its realisticly 19th century France.