Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byMarion M. November 24, 2012

I'd say 12 and up

I loved this book and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. While I usually find the Common Sense recommendations spot-on, I think 10 is too young for this movie. I have a mature, thoughtful, 10-year old who is well aware of animal behavior, but both the intense peril of the animals killing each other (off camera, but graphic none the less) and storm scenes would be too much for him. He would love the religious discussion and the allegory of the movie, so maybe when it's on the small screen in a year or so he'll be able to watch it.
Adult Written bychristian2011 July 24, 2013

Emotionally beautiful piece-of-art film that everyone should experience.

Life of Pi is a visually stunning masterpiece with beautiful imagery of majestic creatures and animals from beginning to end - with the power of friendship and faith heavily incorporated into it. It is a 10+ because there is some intense sequences of peril and action throughout, few instances of implied cannibalism, and some very mild crude humor at some points.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byaesteban December 9, 2012

The Life of Pi a film for sadists.

Behind all the faith rhetoric, this is a movie full of highly sadistic content...
Parent of a 6 year old Written byleftbankhook November 27, 2012

A really good movie

(Spoiler alert) My 6 year old daughter enjoyed most of the movie--and it kept her interest the whole time. The only concern I want to mention to people is that some children won't handle some of the movie's situations well. There will be family members and animals that drown. And you'll see some predatory issues, though they pan-away from most of them. My daughter was really affected by the separation of the main 2 characters at the end. (I kind-of think she might have been extra-emotional because she was tired. However, I'm not totally sure about that, so....)
Parent Written byDan G. March 15, 2013

Too religously complex for kids to comprehend

This movie tries real hard to teach us that there is a God and that religion is important. However, it fails in that regard, and left me totally as confused as the main character was on what actually to do with that belief. The end conclusion seemed to be that for something as important as a believe in God, any god would do.
Parent Written byclarademon March 20, 2013

Magical Movie

Life of Pi is completely magical movie with awesome animation. The story has beautifully pictured with the faith, truth, trust. Somehow I don't like the end, the Pi ditched his friends badly. "You can't trust on wild animal" is the message conveyed at the end of movie.
Adult Written byJEDI micah March 16, 2013

Beautiful, spectacular, amazing!

No wonder why this movie was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, cause it is a very very VERY beautiful movie! It is one of the greatest family movies of 2012! While it is amazing, it can be intense for some kids who do not like to see animals being eaten. Which is why I recommend this spectacular film to kids 11 and up. If your looking for an awesome family movie with breath-taking special effects and a heart-warming story, this is your weekend movie pick! 5 STARS WITHOUT QUESTION!!!
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bybronros February 6, 2013

Fine for teens but not for younger children.

Having read the parents & kids reviews on this website for this movie, I was in a real dilemma as to whether to take my boys, ages 11 & 14. I really, really wanted to see this movie as the trailer looked amazing but the animal violence worried me. Turns out my boys weren't very interested in seeing it anyway, so I took myself off to see Life of Pi in 3D with a little trepidation (I'm a bit squeamish with violence). Well, I thought the movie was amazing, beautiful and very thought-provoking. And I really regret that my boys didn't see the movie, they would have loved it. My 14 yr old was definitely mature enough to watch it and my 11 yr old is not a highly sensitive animal lover and does like a bit of a scary movie, so he would have been fine with this. I would not recommend it for children much younger though, the animals attacking each other would be quite scary for most kids (though you don't really see anything too unpleasant, it is more the fright of knowing/seeing one animal is trying to kill another). As my 14 yr old said (when I told him about the movie), it's nothing worse than what you would see in a wildlife doco.
Educator and Parent of a 10 year old Written bykurtray February 5, 2013

Fears of animal violence overblown

After reading the reviews by other parents, I was torn about whether the film would be too intense for my 10 y.o. daughter and my 13 y.o. (sensitive) son. Frankly, I was surprised by the lack of gore. I'd have to say that the CommonSense review was right on the mark. If your kids have seen and enjoyed the Planet Earth series, then you have nothing to fear. Both of my kids enjoyed the film, as did my wife and I. It is one of the better film adaptations of a great novel.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byLupak February 1, 2013

One of the best movies of all time

Ang Lee has achieved the impossible. The visual effects in "Life of Pi" are asoulutely stunning, and the acting is great. "Life of Pi" is a must-see roaler-coaster ride, that you won't want to miss. But it might bore out younger kids. It is OK for 8 but it will be boring for 8 and under, 9 and up will not regret going to "Life of Pi".
Parent of a 14 year old Written byRosecastle January 25, 2013

Mesmerising.

This would be my personal pick for movie of the year. It is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. It just had me spellbound from start to finish. We took our 15 year old daughter and she felt exactly the same way. Although it's rated PG we decided against taking our other daughter, who is 11. I think it was the right choice. The film was very moving and I think it may have just been a little bit too emotive for her, we will give it another year. Additionally, she adores animals and I am not sure how she would have dealt with the life boat scenes with the zebra, ape and hyena and also just the knowledge of the animals lost during the ships' sinking. I don't buy a lot of DVD's, however I will be buying this one when it's released...in 3D-as we saw it and I think the best way to view it!
Parent Written byLSU Mom January 16, 2013

Great Family Movie

Life of Pi is simply a masterpiece, made even more so by the fact that it is based on a book that many people (including me) were convinced was nearly impossible to translate to film. If you have access to an XD theater, this movie is worth the bit extra for the experience. In any case, an excellent family movie (though due to realistic order-of-nature animal violence, not for young ones) and a beautiful story.
Parent Written byKraz January 13, 2013

For older kids - not 10 year olds

I am surprised this is said to be for 10 year olds - I know it would have been way too much for my 10 year old. The deaths of various animals, Pi's loss of his family and the general intensity of the film are more suited to 14+ in my view. I was glad I saw it first, without my son, and didn't take him on the basis of what I read here (which is usually pretty accurate).
Parent of a 14 year old Written byrobinpeggy January 9, 2013

Totally harrowing for under 14, I disagree with CSM here

I am stunned that CSM would think 10 year olds could see this. I wouldn't let my 14 year old, who is very sophisticated, see it. She would be freaked out by the violence towards animals. And although I think she is sophisticated enough to grasp the greater themes of the movie, she would have long left the theater in tears before getting there.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 9 year old Written bySteve Canberra January 6, 2013

Powerful, Beautiful

I was glad that I decided to take my 9 year old to this film. The film is harrowing but never gratuitous and often deeply beautiful. Some reviewers expressed concern about the animal violence. I think any child with a love for and understanding of nature will not find those confronting or surprising (they are not explicit). The issues raised by the film run far deeper than that, and are well with exploring with any child who is engaged with life's deeper questions deeper. My 7 year old would have been fine with the imagery, but I suspect would not have engaged with the heart of the film and would not have enjoyed it in the way my 9 year old did. A great film.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byAudreyHepburn1960 January 4, 2013

The Life of Pi

Went to see The Life of Pi today with my 14 year old son. Whilst I thought this had the potential to be a very good movie and story, I thought the violent scenes were very disturbing for any child or person who love animals. I believe it was unnecessary to put the massacre of animals in the life boat. Pi had already lost his family, and for a child this is distressing enough. Otherwise I myself did enjoy the basis of the storyline. I think if this is a true story then at least it maybe acceptable,but as a fictional I think it was not necessary to be so graphic, especially as this had a PG rating. This should have been rated 15.
Parent Written byConcernedParentABC December 31, 2012

our family Christmas movie

This was our family Christmas movie this year. Great messages. Family fun. Good conversations after the movie.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bybenito jug December 15, 2012

Worst movie

This movie was the worst movie I have ever seen
Parent Written bylolboy55 December 9, 2012

okay for 9 year old

they killed a fish and ate it raw and theres some blood when the animals die really sad i cryied a little but it was okay
Parent Written byCuriously December 9, 2012

Religious theme

I found Life of Pi offensive at times. It is yet another movie that seeks to denigrate Hinduism, dare not critique Islam and potrays Christianity in a positive light. Pi utters that there are 33 million gods in Hinduism. Really? There are various interpretations of the number. However, according to the Hindu scriptures, living beings are not apart from God, since He lives in each and every one of them in the form of 'atman'. Thus each living being is a unique manifestation of God. Even a superficial research will show that in Hindu philosophy there is only one Supreme Being and He is the God of all religions. This concept, like many others, have been borrowed from Hinduism. Pi, as a boy, tells his Hindu mother that he wants to be baptised and his religious Hindu mother smiles it off. Curious that Pi chooses Christianity over all the other religions even in a confused state of mind. The movie script does not however seem to misinterpret the other faiths in the context that they are a subject in the movie. On another note, the movie had good visuals I thought but found it a stretch to watch.