All member reviews for Life of Pi

Kid, 11 years old November 23, 2012

wasnt really impressed

WAY TOO MUCH VIOLENCE! on a sail boat Pi loses his family and cries because the ship sank and there is alot of yelling throughtout this movie and alot of zoo animals drown in the water. On the life boat the hyena eats a zebra that has been suffering with a broken leg and tears it apart while its still alive. Later the hyena eats the chimp and then the tiger eats the hyena. there are a few very sad parts and i cried twice in this movie. Good story afterall, but i wouldbt really reccomend this to anyone whos looking for a nice movie to watch.
Kid, 10 years old November 24, 2012

Beautifuly Made Survival Story

Review by rsm2.This movie is a beautiful survival story about a teenage boy named Pi and a bengal tiger called Richard Parker stranded on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. Expertly crafted and not too violent [though at times in the movie it looks like Richard Parker is going to attack Pi], this movie is mediocre. Do not be fooled though, just because there is a tiger in this movie it does not mean it is action packed. There are long periods of time where Pi is just thinking [you can here his voice inside of his head]. Overall, this movie is just fine and I give it 3 out of five stars.
Teen, 13 years old Written byK bug November 21, 2012

Good.

Amazing special effects. When the animals eat each other it is a bit disturbing and i really didnt want to see that. Good story overall, you should see it buy it is not on my top reccomendation list. I cried once.
Kid, 10 years old November 22, 2012

life of pi needs some pie

Only thing that might scare kid are the boat disaster and the tiger the tiger will probably not scare kids over 6or7
Teen, 13 years old Written byChocolateOrange November 25, 2012

Great movie

It's a good movie! I was spellbound. I think that it is a good movie for ages 12 and up because younger kids wouldn't get the spiritual message but would probably get the rest. It is a wonderful movie for all ages but there is animal violence. I also like how the movie didn't romanticize the animals in any way. The effects are beautiful and the story has a good message in it. It is well worth the watch and it will grip the attention of older audiences.
Kid, 12 years old December 27, 2012

PG

Contains some violence and sexual content, and brief language.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviedudde18 November 30, 2012

LOP

Good nothing great.
Kid, 11 years old November 27, 2012

NOT FOR KIDS UNDER 14, BUT A MOVING STORY FOR ADULTS.

Parents, This Movie Is An Uplifting drama, with emotional, tearjerking scenes, but for your kids safety, don't let kids see this movie. The intense and disturbing shipwreck scene is just the start of it all. There is also partial nudity, strong violence, 1 use of F**k and D**k, and emotional material. My Rating - Rated PG-13 For Emotional Thematic Material, Child & Teen Imperilment Including Language, Brief Sexual References Involving A Nude Image, Disturbing Images & A Scene Of Mature Violent Content
Teen, 13 years old Written bySimran singh December 2, 2012

Interesting story

Its a very in tresting story which teens would love too see .Its a very sood movie .:)
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2013

SHOULD YOU SEE IT

life of pi is a positive movie of faith and god the things you should know is if your kid is scared of violence you should not take him/her to see it
Kid, 10 years old December 29, 2012

how it feels in 3D

i watched this with my cosines and it is fantastic in 3D and we loved it because it has really good effects and i was going to cry.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJohnem95 December 2, 2012

Even though it's PG, doesn't mean kids will like it.

LIFE OF PI is a film adaption of the very popular book for (older) teens, not really a book for kids due to its thematic material in survival. Your kids may be interested in seeing the movie (if they've read the book, which I doubt they have) or because of the tiger and other animals in the movie. But make sure your kids know that yes, this movie is alright for older kids/young teens, but if you ask me, younger kids will be bored with the movie. Why is that? Because, first of all, it starts out pretty slow, and once the real action begins at sea, it almost becomes an episode of Man vs. Wild - with a tiger companion. The friendship between Pi and the tiger, Richard Parker is strong, moving, and beautiful to watch, and the tiger has cute moments, but it also is a wild animal - it kills other animals in various scenes, attacks Pi (which may scare younger kids) but doesn't injure him in any way, and is as big (if not bigger) than Pi himself. The movie throughout focuses on Pi as an adult telling a story to a fellow curious about his life, so you know Pi winds up living in the end, but even if you know that is happening, the scenes at sea are still deep, moving, and powerful as Pi begins to question if he'd be happier having God take his life - and that's a whole 'nother story - the movie has a FANTASTIC message having to do with faith, belief in god, perseverance, friendship, and loyalty, but young kids may be too young to realize the message the movie gives. So only take your kids to this one if they're aware that there is peril throughout, scary scenes involving the lion, a harrowing shipwreck, emotional deaths, and a message that may be too deep for them, but older kids and younger teens should get more out of this. And adults probably will be the ones getting the most out of this one.
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2013

Amazing Movie Has Some Violence And A Little Language, But Makes You Think

Lets put it like this I would be suprised if this did not win a single oscar. Life of Pi is an amazing tale and should be remmembered for decades. The problem with it for me is for the kind of movie it was I wish you didn't already know Pi would survive. It does make you question your faith (this may make some people feel bad), faith and friendship are very central messages in this film. Pi never gives up and is almost fearless, he is also very faithful to all gods. Pi loses his entire family in a frightening storm. A hyena eats a orangotang and a zebra, neither is on screen but the bodies are seen afterword with small blood. A tiger eats a hyena, no blood and all the bodies of the animals seem to dissapear. A tiger eats a goat in front of a young boy and we see him drag the goat away. Pi finds out that a island he is on is carnivorous and it kills fish and ate a man that came there before him. When Pi is interviewed after the events he tells them this story but they do not believe him so he tells a story of cannibolism and graphic violence. Everyone makes fun of Pi because his real name is Piscing, everyone calls him "pissing".
Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2012

DO NOT WATCH IT!

A friend and I went to watch this movie, thinking it was good. But it was a VERY SCARY MOVIE! There is a scary tiger, and some of the scens are very realistic. I DON'T recomend this. (My BFFL and I are scared for life! WE WERE SUPOSED TO WATCH A JAMES BOND MOVIE!)
Teen, 15 years old Written bycoopathecool January 4, 2013

Parents ; please watch it first!

Spoilers - In the last 15 minutes of the narration Pi retells the 2nd version of his survival story. I feel it is very dark and violent for any children under 13. I dont know if I would have taken my 10 year old to see it; if I knew this before hand.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywhiteblack February 19, 2013

Great movie!

Great movie! Its not at all the light hearted animation you might expect, more a deeply beautiful and moving story of survival. Because of the emotional intensity of this movie I'm recommending it for people over 13 years of age.
Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 December 15, 2012

Beautiful, entertaining survival story has some slow moments but still really good

This movie was really entertaining. It has a little bit of slow parts but it's still a really nice movie. The ending actually left me thinking. I also really think that whoever played Pi should get an Oscar nom because his performance was really good. Overall, it's a really good movie but just don't go expecting something action packed. 10+
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 November 25, 2012

Wonderful, spiritual-centered movie

The narrative of "Pi" is incredibly original in storytelling at the masterful hands of Lee, but credit goes to the excellent book it's based on, one of my favorites. The film version stays remarkably true to the source, almost down to a T. I saw young children attendance who probably only came for the big orange tiger on the poster, but this movie is far from a CGI display. It's a movie that takes a hard look at faith, like the novel did, and what we ultimately believe in that guides our way. Get ready to see Pi and Richard Parker at the Oscars!
Kid, 9 years old January 1, 2013

A movie to remember

I love this incredible movie,I knew this movie would be a big hit.I also love how the movie brings out funny things and some emotianal things,but the only thing about this movie is that there is some violence.I remember the tiger roaring really loud and how the animals ate each other,I thought that was not terrifing but was a little disturbing.The movie has great role models too.Please take time to watch this movie,you will not be dissapointed.
Kid, 10 years old December 2, 2012

Pi

The beginning of this movie can be a little boring, but otherwise it is an inspiring film with great animation. Although it has a little animal violence, there is only a small amount and is quickly forgotten.