Cute story, great characters, fabulous soundtrack.

Parent of a 5, 13, and 18+ year old Written byjenaula September 1, 2010

Not for 5+

I do not agree that this is appropriate for 5+. For example, Lilo asks a special agent "have you killed someone before?" Also, language includes more than just "butt"...words like "idiot" and stupid" are used to demean others. I generally find that common sense ratings are good, but in this case I agree with the MPAA more - there is a reason this is rated PG and kids under 7 should not see it. For older kids who can handle more sophisticated themes, the movie has a good message.
Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2010
I don't know what disney would have done without stitch! He is awsome and so are the movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old July 27, 2010

great nice movie for kids

watched the tv sereis and the 4 movies
Adult Written bysagorsch April 9, 2008

Desensitize Fear

This movie is so scary and violent. My husband and I previewed this for our kids and will not allow our children to watch. Stitch this cute character is very violent and a cute young girl Lilo adopts him and changes him. This is a dangerous message to girls that girls can change dangerous people to good. I do not recommend unless the child has a clear understanding of behaviour types and that no one can change anyone who is dangerous.
Adult Written bytomhuntington April 9, 2008

too scary for a four year old

Enter Review Here I saw good reviews in the paper but I had to walk out because it was too frightening for my four year boy.
Adult Written bymegan ruth April 9, 2008

violent & chaotic

I can't understand why people say this movie is about peaceful beautiful Hawaii. The nice scenes of Hawaii last about 5 minutes, the entire rest of the movie is chaotic, violent, & disturbing: an aggressive rabid-appearing alien, long drawn out chase sequences involving shooting, a mean "social-worker" threatening a young woman with losing guardianship of her sister. Watching this movie stressed me out - not what I expect from children's entertainment. My kids are not timid or overly sensitive, but I won't let them watch this movie - the chaotic & threatening world that it portrays simply isn't fun to watch.
Parent Written byLeeldoo October 12, 2012

some unexpected items in movie.

We watched this with our 3 and almost 6 yo. We were surprised that the main character bites/pushes/kicks/etc. when angry and that the alien Stitch also pushes, hits, bears sharp teeth/claws. My almost 6 year old tried to emulate scratching right after the movie (Said he was pretending to be Stitch) Also, the phrase "stupidhead" is used a couple times in the movie. There is a good bit of laser goo shooting and the reference to Lilo's parent's death. We talked about a good bit about these topics as a family both during and after the movie. The showing really bad behavior to show redeeming qualities in the movie's end didn't work for our family. Just thought others might find these tidbits helpful.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byOPs Mom January 22, 2010

Great alternative family movie

My daughter and I love this movie. The message of everyone's family being different, but loving each other the same is great. She loves the soundtrack and wants to visit Hawaii! (and so do I)
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byr.A.i. September 28, 2010

Run, do not walk from this one.

Following common sense's recommendation I had my 5 year old watch it. Soon my daughter started beating up her little sister, as Lilo beats up her school buddies. Ala Disney's tradition, this movie models bad behavior to later try to turn it into a positive moral. For my 5 year old, all she saw was how if you are mad then you can beat up others.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byamandolin December 14, 2013

Worst movie I've let them watch yet

Should have done more research before I let my kids watch it. Both of my kids were huddling under a blanket during some of it and at the end my youngest burst into tears. While my oldest didn't cry, she said she didn't like it and wanted to cuddle (be comforted) the rest of the day. Months after watching it they went to a kids event where one of the things they were going to do was watch a movie (We didn't know yet what was going to be shown). My oldest asked if they HAD to watch the movie and I told her I wasn't sure and I asked her why, since she's ALWAYS bugging me to watch more TV/movies. She said that she never wanted to watch Lilo and Stitch again. Though it had been months since watching Lilo and Stitch, it was still very much on her mind, in a negative way.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byqtnn January 11, 2009
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byHook316 December 3, 2012

Perhaps traumatic for young ones?

My five year old burst into tears when the girl was taken hostage and away from her family. I definitely think this should be targeted to older or more mature kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina September 29, 2010

I may be a little mean to those who appose to this movie, but people frustrate me..... sorry!

Oh my gosh Disney actually showed this on TV tonight, it must have nearly 'Killed' them! I love this movie so much, people take it too seriously, Lilo is a differen't kind of girl who gets treated bad because of her uniqueness (the same way I was treated growing up) and it nearly makes you cry when she says "people treat me differen't" when Nani was trying to explain to her that hurting those girls was wrong. If your kid acts bad, simply tell them NOT to act like that, its a parents job (I'm not trying to bash, I promise) This story is realistic, sweet, and a mix of sy-fy. It is really funny too, I loved it growing up, and I never once hit a person because of the influence of this movie, I hit those kids because they wouldn't leave me alone. Like Lilo when they call her names. Sometimes you really have to understand the characters. And 'oh no!' they used "Butt" and "Idiot"! Never heard of those words before! Dude, I'm sorry, but it is not that bad, they aren't used that much anyway. None of the characters are pure evil or anything, Gantu is the antaginist in this, but he was pretty much just doing his job. The characters can be very easy to love, and they all truely care about eachother. Its very well thought out, the animation is absoultly gorgious as well as the soundtrack, I recomend this movie, its better than loads of that garbage they show now, it actually has a heart put into it.
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Cute film, OK for kids 5+

Sexual Content (Not an Issue): None. Violence (Pause): Some peril. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): Friendship and tolerance are major themes of the movie. Strong female and minority characters. Commercialism (Not an Issue): None. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Not an Issue): None.
Parent Written byAmanda P. September 23, 2016

Scary and sad

I do not agree that the audience for this is 5+, especially if your 5 year old is sensitive in any way. The beginning was scary with Stitch basically looking like a rabid animal and being banished - he also figured out a way to hurt others while he escapes. Cut to Lilo who is a sad orphan who is picked on by the other kids. The family structure is threatened by a large, threatening social worker. Then Lilo meets Stitch who bites, bares his teeth, scratches etc. It takes a long time to get to anywhere where Lilo and Stitch enjoy time together, and even that is tainted because at the same time the sister is desperately looking for a job to ensure she can keep Lilo with her and the tension (some of which was supposed to be funny) of Stitch being stalked by creatures that were supposed to take him back into custody. Quite honestly we fast forwarded past scenes where Lilo was taken from her sister by the social worker etc to where (SPOILERS) Stitch gets to stay on Earth. The positive message that there are many different ways to have a family was clunky and not an underlying theme. The friendship relied on Stitch changing completely, he was not accepted for the way he was - and why would he be since he was built to hurt and destroy? I didn't find much positive in this movie at all.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 22, 2012

lilo and stitch

Families can talk about Lilo's definition of a family: "No one gets left behind." What does family mean to you? Is this movie scarier than other Disney movies (or other cartoon movies in general)? Why or why not? Why didn't Stitch stay the destructive monster he was designed to be? Did anything surprise you in the scenes at the end that showed what happened to Lilo and Stitch and Nani?
Teen, 14 years old Written byBlueSunday September 19, 2010

Extremely Good

This is a real great movie, I saw it when I was really little and loved it. The characters (Lilo and Nani) are still trying to get over the loss of their parents, and can be at eachothers throats when they're angry, but instead of doing something seriously dirastic, they scream into a pillow. As normal, the sisters argue, but Nani was only angry because she had a social worker over, and it looked like she was a bad gardian and she doesn't want Lilo taken away. Lilo is consittered weird, so she doesn't really have friends that understand her, so people often call her names. And that happens all the time in society, when people don't understand, they riticule, the same thing happened to me. The characters are all loveable and are relatable. And even though Nani likes David she always turns down his offers because she has to take care of Lilo. Stitch is violent, but he turns out to be a really caring creature, yet some people just can't get over the 'violence' which I dont see as a big deal. The aliens aren't evil, they wanted to protect those on Earth when 626 landed there, Gantue isn't evil, just a hot-head. Yes "Butt" and "Idiot" are used, oh-no, not butt! Seriously, its not that big a deal, shows and movies use that word ALL the time, and all of the characters care about eachother, its all very sweet and dispite the aliens, its still very realistic (I personally think aliens are real) and it could even cure your childs' fear of aliens, so don't over react and let the kids see it, you can't over protect them or they'll rebel. This movie is just amazing, and so is the animation.
Parent Written byAlicia E. February 3, 2017

Disaster

For the first time, I'm disappointment in the review from CSM. I don't care if there are any redeeming qualities in this movie. After 20 minutes of "stupid head", "I want to die", "you're crazy", and little "cute" LILO literally jumping on and attacking a girl who calls her crazy, I decided that it really didn't matter if there were any positive messages or "heroes" later on in this movie. It was so bad and inappropriate that I had to turn it off. I don't care how old your kid may be, the language and behavior and frankly content was shockingly mature.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGeodeGem March 21, 2010
Oh my goodness, I loved this movie! It reflects on real life, but makes it more exciting. For really sensitive kids that are afraid of aliens and violence, this movie may concore there fears! I love this movie VERY much, I see pretty much nothing - I repeat NOTHING wrong with it. And for grown ups who think this movie is too violent, lighten up a little, cuz I've seen worse, and I hightly doubt it would affect children emotionaly. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I think Disney channel needs to bring his show back, and show his movies more often - because Dadnapped and all those other bad movies need OFF the air. Go Lilo and Stitch!!
Adult Written byForknose April 9, 2008

Disney has finally done well after a while.

Recently, Disney hasn't made that great of movies. This movie was great, even being a teenager I loved it. My sister was 4 when she saw it and it was a favorite of hers then. The sequel wasn't that good and the show is worse. If only they could have made the sequel better.... (This one rocked tho).