All parent member reviews for Lilo and Stitch

Adult Written bytomhuntington April 9, 2008

too scary for a four year old

Enter Review Here I saw good reviews in the paper but I had to walk out because it was too frightening for my four year boy.
Parent of a 5, 13, and 18 year old Written byjenaula September 1, 2010

Not for 5+

I do not agree that this is appropriate for 5+. For example, Lilo asks a special agent "have you killed someone before?" Also, language includes more than just "butt"...words like "idiot" and stupid" are used to demean others. I generally find that common sense ratings are good, but in this case I agree with the MPAA more - there is a reason this is rated PG and kids under 7 should not see it. For older kids who can handle more sophisticated themes, the movie has a good message.
Adult Written bysagorsch April 9, 2008

Desensitize Fear

This movie is so scary and violent. My husband and I previewed this for our kids and will not allow our children to watch. Stitch this cute character is very violent and a cute young girl Lilo adopts him and changes him. This is a dangerous message to girls that girls can change dangerous people to good. I do not recommend unless the child has a clear understanding of behaviour types and that no one can change anyone who is dangerous.
Adult Written bymegan ruth April 9, 2008

violent & chaotic

I can't understand why people say this movie is about peaceful beautiful Hawaii. The nice scenes of Hawaii last about 5 minutes, the entire rest of the movie is chaotic, violent, & disturbing: an aggressive rabid-appearing alien, long drawn out chase sequences involving shooting, a mean "social-worker" threatening a young woman with losing guardianship of her sister. Watching this movie stressed me out - not what I expect from children's entertainment. My kids are not timid or overly sensitive, but I won't let them watch this movie - the chaotic & threatening world that it portrays simply isn't fun to watch.
Parent Written byLeeldoo October 12, 2012

some unexpected items in movie.

We watched this with our 3 and almost 6 yo. We were surprised that the main character bites/pushes/kicks/etc. when angry and that the alien Stitch also pushes, hits, bears sharp teeth/claws. My almost 6 year old tried to emulate scratching right after the movie (Said he was pretending to be Stitch) Also, the phrase "stupidhead" is used a couple times in the movie. There is a good bit of laser goo shooting and the reference to Lilo's parent's death. We talked about a good bit about these topics as a family both during and after the movie. The showing really bad behavior to show redeeming qualities in the movie's end didn't work for our family. Just thought others might find these tidbits helpful.
Parent Written bynarbers August 31, 2013

Not for young children!

WARNING: This movie is absolutely NOT appropriate for small children. The language is awful and the subject matter is questionable at best, there is excessive violence and anger displayed from the first second of the movie until we turned it off 30 minutes later. Shame on Disney for another garbage movie that teaches young children to treat others with disrespect. I'm looking forward to tomorrow where my kids will be yelling at each other and using all the new foul language that they learned from this movie.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 22, 2012

lilo and stitch

Families can talk about Lilo's definition of a family: "No one gets left behind." What does family mean to you? Is this movie scarier than other Disney movies (or other cartoon movies in general)? Why or why not? Why didn't Stitch stay the destructive monster he was designed to be? Did anything surprise you in the scenes at the end that showed what happened to Lilo and Stitch and Nani?
Parent of a 5 and 13 year old Written byJA_MIA_Mom July 25, 2011

A great family movie

Love this movie. S cried a little bit she loves it. Think we're on the 4th watch. I love that they have a unconventional family like us.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byOPs Mom January 22, 2010

Great alternative family movie

My daughter and I love this movie. The message of everyone's family being different, but loving each other the same is great. She loves the soundtrack and wants to visit Hawaii! (and so do I)
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byamandolin December 14, 2013

Worst movie I've let them watch yet

Should have done more research before I let my kids watch it. Both of my kids were huddling under a blanket during some of it and at the end my youngest burst into tears. While my oldest didn't cry, she said she didn't like it and wanted to cuddle (be comforted) the rest of the day. Months after watching it they went to a kids event where one of the things they were going to do was watch a movie (We didn't know yet what was going to be shown). My oldest asked if they HAD to watch the movie and I told her I wasn't sure and I asked her why, since she's ALWAYS bugging me to watch more TV/movies. She said that she never wanted to watch Lilo and Stitch again. Though it had been months since watching Lilo and Stitch, it was still very much on her mind, in a negative way.
Adult Written byForknose April 9, 2008

Disney has finally done well after a while.

Recently, Disney hasn't made that great of movies. This movie was great, even being a teenager I loved it. My sister was 4 when she saw it and it was a favorite of hers then. The sequel wasn't that good and the show is worse. If only they could have made the sequel better.... (This one rocked tho).
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Cute film, OK for kids 5+

Sexual Content (Not an Issue): None. Violence (Pause): Some peril. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): Friendship and tolerance are major themes of the movie. Strong female and minority characters. Commercialism (Not an Issue): None. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Not an Issue): None.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byHook316 December 3, 2012

Perhaps traumatic for young ones?

My five year old burst into tears when the girl was taken hostage and away from her family. I definitely think this should be targeted to older or more mature kids.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bycry4dawn August 12, 2012

A great hawaiian culture movie

This is a heart warming story about two sisters trying to make it after their parents die. A great tribute to the hawaiian spirit. be prepared to explain some of the family dynamics to younger children. My 5 year old god a little weepy when he thought they were taking Lilo away permanently
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byr.A.i. September 28, 2010

Run, do not walk from this one.

Following common sense's recommendation I had my 5 year old watch it. Soon my daughter started beating up her little sister, as Lilo beats up her school buddies. Ala Disney's tradition, this movie models bad behavior to later try to turn it into a positive moral. For my 5 year old, all she saw was how if you are mad then you can beat up others.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byqtnn January 11, 2009
Adult Written byIzzieDee April 9, 2008

Highly enjoyable, beautiful and unique

The movie trailers did not appeal to me and did not really describe well what the movie is about. When I saw it on video with my 6 and 9 year old, I was delighted with the beauty and color of the Hawaiian setting. The music is great, the emphasis on family togetherness is wonderful, without being sugary, like Disney often is. The creature, Stitch, is a complex character and believable. I found it a very positive film with believable characters. There are some noisy and frightening scenes because the characters are in danger. But it is not excessive, I feel. It might seem more intense in a movie theatre if a young child is sensitive to loud noises, like my youngest is.
Parent Written bykirapuppy December 3, 2014

Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright January 17, 2014

I forgot to review this on December 26, 2012

This is my 14th favorite film from The Walt Disney Animated Classics canon. So far I only reviewed the first 13. OK, I admit, I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. The story is adorable, the characters are lovable, and there are some great Elvis songs. As I mentioned in my recent review of Liv and Maddie, this aired today on Disney Jr. which reminded my of how great it is. They also aired The Rescuers on November 30, then The Little Mermaid on December 22, then Peter Pan on December 24, then Dumbo on December 28, and best of all, The Fox and the Hound (my favorite film ever along with the original Charlotte's Web) on December 29. 9.5/10