Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Lilo and Stitch

Cute story, great characters, fabulous soundtrack.

Parent of a 5, 13, and 18+ year old Written byjenaula September 1, 2010

Not for 5+

I do not agree that this is appropriate for 5+. For example, Lilo asks a special agent "have you killed someone before?" Also, language includes more than just "butt"...words like "idiot" and stupid" are used to demean others. I generally find that common sense ratings are good, but in this case I agree with the MPAA more - there is a reason this is rated PG and kids under 7 should not see it. For older kids who can handle more sophisticated themes, the movie has a good message.
Adult Written bysagorsch April 9, 2008

Desensitize Fear

This movie is so scary and violent. My husband and I previewed this for our kids and will not allow our children to watch. Stitch this cute character is very violent and a cute young girl Lilo adopts him and changes him. This is a dangerous message to girls that girls can change dangerous people to good. I do not recommend unless the child has a clear understanding of behaviour types and that no one can change anyone who is dangerous.
Adult Written bymegan ruth April 9, 2008

violent & chaotic

I can't understand why people say this movie is about peaceful beautiful Hawaii. The nice scenes of Hawaii last about 5 minutes, the entire rest of the movie is chaotic, violent, & disturbing: an aggressive rabid-appearing alien, long drawn out chase sequences involving shooting, a mean "social-worker" threatening a young woman with losing guardianship of her sister. Watching this movie stressed me out - not what I expect from children's entertainment. My kids are not timid or overly sensitive, but I won't let them watch this movie - the chaotic & threatening world that it portrays simply isn't fun to watch.
Parent Written byLeeldoo October 12, 2012

some unexpected items in movie.

We watched this with our 3 and almost 6 yo. We were surprised that the main character bites/pushes/kicks/etc. when angry and that the alien Stitch also pushes, hits, bears sharp teeth/claws. My almost 6 year old tried to emulate scratching right after the movie (Said he was pretending to be Stitch) Also, the phrase "stupidhead" is used a couple times in the movie. There is a good bit of laser goo shooting and the reference to Lilo's parent's death. We talked about a good bit about these topics as a family both during and after the movie. The showing really bad behavior to show redeeming qualities in the movie's end didn't work for our family. Just thought others might find these tidbits helpful.

Adult Written bytomhuntington April 9, 2008

too scary for a four year old

Enter Review Here I saw good reviews in the paper but I had to walk out because it was too frightening for my four year boy.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byr.A.i. September 28, 2010

Run, do not walk from this one.

Following common sense's recommendation I had my 5 year old watch it. Soon my daughter started beating up her little sister, as Lilo beats up her school buddies. Ala Disney's tradition, this movie models bad behavior to later try to turn it into a positive moral. For my 5 year old, all she saw was how if you are mad then you can beat up others.

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byamandolin December 14, 2013

Worst movie I've let them watch yet

Should have done more research before I let my kids watch it. Both of my kids were huddling under a blanket during some of it and at the end my youngest burst into tears. While my oldest didn't cry, she said she didn't like it and wanted to cuddle (be comforted) the rest of the day. Months after watching it they went to a kids event where one of the things they were going to do was watch a movie (We didn't know yet what was going to be shown). My oldest asked if they HAD to watch the movie and I told her I wasn't sure and I asked her why, since she's ALWAYS bugging me to watch more TV/movies. She said that she never wanted to watch Lilo and Stitch again. Though it had been months since watching Lilo and Stitch, it was still very much on her mind, in a negative way.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byOPs Mom January 22, 2010

Great alternative family movie

My daughter and I love this movie. The message of everyone's family being different, but loving each other the same is great. She loves the soundtrack and wants to visit Hawaii! (and so do I)

Parent Written byAlicia E. February 3, 2017

Disaster

For the first time, I'm disappointment in the review from CSM. I don't care if there are any redeeming qualities in this movie. After 20 minutes of "stupid head", "I want to die", "you're crazy", and little "cute" LILO literally jumping on and attacking a girl who calls her crazy, I decided that it really didn't matter if there were any positive messages or "heroes" later on in this movie. It was so bad and inappropriate that I had to turn it off. I don't care how old your kid may be, the language and behavior and frankly content was shockingly mature.

Parent Written byqtnn January 11, 2009
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Cute film, OK for kids 5+

Sexual Content (Not an Issue): None. Violence (Pause): Some peril. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): Friendship and tolerance are major themes of the movie. Strong female and minority characters. Commercialism (Not an Issue): None. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Not an Issue): None.
Parent Written byAmanda P. September 23, 2016

Scary and sad

I do not agree that the audience for this is 5+, especially if your 5 year old is sensitive in any way. The beginning was scary with Stitch basically looking like a rabid animal and being banished - he also figured out a way to hurt others while he escapes. Cut to Lilo who is a sad orphan who is picked on by the other kids. The family structure is threatened by a large, threatening social worker. Then Lilo meets Stitch who bites, bares his teeth, scratches etc. It takes a long time to get to anywhere where Lilo and Stitch enjoy time together, and even that is tainted because at the same time the sister is desperately looking for a job to ensure she can keep Lilo with her and the tension (some of which was supposed to be funny) of Stitch being stalked by creatures that were supposed to take him back into custody. Quite honestly we fast forwarded past scenes where Lilo was taken from her sister by the social worker etc to where (SPOILERS) Stitch gets to stay on Earth. The positive message that there are many different ways to have a family was clunky and not an underlying theme. The friendship relied on Stitch changing completely, he was not accepted for the way he was - and why would he be since he was built to hurt and destroy? I didn't find much positive in this movie at all.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byHook316 December 3, 2012

Perhaps traumatic for young ones?

My five year old burst into tears when the girl was taken hostage and away from her family. I definitely think this should be targeted to older or more mature kids.

Adult Written byForknose April 9, 2008

Disney has finally done well after a while.

Recently, Disney hasn't made that great of movies. This movie was great, even being a teenager I loved it. My sister was 4 when she saw it and it was a favorite of hers then. The sequel wasn't that good and the show is worse. If only they could have made the sequel better.... (This one rocked tho).
Parent of a 7 year old Written byleah m. December 26, 2016

Emotionally brutal

This movie seems to be for people who require a great deal of emotional stimulation. It's a big sister and little sister who are orphans, so that's brutal. The whole movie is centered on Child Protective Services trying to separate the two of them. And there's a pet who seems to be emotionally damaged as well who also might be separated from little girl. It's miserable start to finish. We are in constant terror that someone will be permanently left. My daughter cried the whole time.
Parent of a 2, 3, and 5 year old Written byAbigail H. March 20, 2017

NOT GOOD FOR KIDS OF ANY AGE

We didn't even make it halfway through this movie. All of the characters (even the "good" ones) were constantly fighting, calling names, hitting, biting. I cannot think of a single redeeming characteristic of this movie.

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byZoomLA June 15, 2016

Great movie! *Not* for young kids.

I saw Lilo and Stitch many years ago and had fond memories of it. Pressured by the need to select a quick movie, I saw it was rated on Commonsense Media as 5+ and put it on. I was startled and unhappy to discover I didn't feel this suited a 5 year old at all! Lilo's mildly crude language was a bad example for a young age group, and there was much more violence than I remembered. My kid was disturbed a number of times, and while she endured well enough, I would have much rather shown her something that would have been better suited for her age. Plus a lot of the plot was lost on her anyway. Still a great film, but I wouldn't show this to a kid under 7, or maybe 8.
Adult Written byRob Clowes June 29, 2015
Great movie with strong ethical backdrop, lovely characterisation and brilliant and appealing central characters. Beautifully designed and nicely drawn too if not quite up to Disney´s best (some backgrounds look a bit cheaply done). However I was somewhat misled by the reviews on here and my almost five year old found it much to much to handle. There are scenes of real emotional danger and threat and I think even some sensitive children above the age of five may find it hard to handle. We had to run the last twenty minutes of the film on fast forward to get to the 'happy ending' so my son could see that it all turned out alright. Before that he started howling at a kidnapping scene. Be careful with this. It all I think it´s one of Disney´s best later movies (although it looks a little 2D at times), but that it´s better for 6 and 7 year olds up. I´d also be careful if your child is sensitive as the most appealing characters are in peril for a sizable proportion of the movie. All this said the characters are very appealing and exist in a believable contemporary world facing real issues and so I think this is actually a fine movie when shown to the right age group.

Parent of a 5 and 13 year old Written byJA_MIA_Mom July 25, 2011

A great family movie

Love this movie. S cried a little bit she loves it. Think we're on the 4th watch. I love that they have a unconventional family like us.

Adult Written byIzzieDee April 9, 2008

Highly enjoyable, beautiful and unique

The movie trailers did not appeal to me and did not really describe well what the movie is about. When I saw it on video with my 6 and 9 year old, I was delighted with the beauty and color of the Hawaiian setting. The music is great, the emphasis on family togetherness is wonderful, without being sugary, like Disney often is. The creature, Stitch, is a complex character and believable. I found it a very positive film with believable characters. There are some noisy and frightening scenes because the characters are in danger. But it is not excessive, I feel. It might seem more intense in a movie theatre if a young child is sensitive to loud noises, like my youngest is.