All member reviews for Lincoln

Parent Written byctjbush November 25, 2012

Foul language in the land of Lincoln.

There were too many G-- D---s in the early part of the movie. Terrible. Then my kids and I left the theater when someone on-screen dropped the F-Bomb. Totally uncalled for.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 November 18, 2012

slow, masterful, and graphic drama will grip history buffs but not action freaks

this incredily slow drama about the sixteenth president may be boring at some points, but it rivals with spectacular cinematography, impressive acting (except Daniel Day-Lewis), and great sets and costumes. there is also some amount of violence, which is very graphic and realistic. the opening scene shows soldiers stabbing, slicing, cutting, and crushing others in a battlefield. another scene shows burning houses, which then goes into a prolonged scene of Lincoln riding through a battlefield srewn with dead bodies. the worst scene is where two men push a cart that is dripping blood to a pit and empty a large stack of severed limbs. there is also a LOT of strong language, including one f**k, several N words, s**t, a*s,bit**, and more. also, many characters smoke heavily.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byjillyme November 16, 2012

Wonderful, historic film

My children (ages 13 & 9) loved this movie. My twins declared it the best film they had ever seen, and my younger son sat through the whole thing with much interest. There are cuss words, most of which my youngest did not pick up due to the accents of the characters, and a few war scenes, the worse one being at the beginning of the movie. Also be aware that the trailers shown before the film were highly innapropriate. I kept my kids out of the theatre for them, and I am glad I did. The movie is long and slow paced. If your kid is not interested in the history or if they are highly sensitive I would hold off on it. The film is very moving though, and I recommend it for all kids 12 and up, younger if they are highly interested in the subject.
Kid, 11 years old January 18, 2013

A Fairly Good Movie In All

This movie was pretty good. I think Daniel Day Lewis did an excellent job acting Abraham Lincoln. I'm 11 and didn't understand some of the political stuff, but a very good movie in all. But I have to warn you, there are LOT of swear words, and this one scene where two soldiers had to dump a wheelbarrow that's dripping blood, and full of amputated legs and arms into a pit. That grossed me out a lot. Hope this helped!
Parent Written byMom 22 November 18, 2012

Very strong language, using the Lord's name many, many times and I believe I heard the "F" word twice, which I thought could only be used once in PG 13.
Kid, 10 years old June 6, 2013

Historically-accurate film astounds me

I love this movie!! This movie was amazing and thoughtful. Even though I am a hyper-active ten-year-old, I actually sit still and watched this movie- and I liked it. Watch this movie!
Parent Written byShivom Oza February 5, 2013

Lincoln (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – They Don’t Make Them Like Abe Anymore!

It is often believed that political dramas make for exciting films. What if, they are historical? What if, they involve iconic leaders? What if, they are directed by multiple-Academy-award-winning auteurs? What if, the principal character is essayed by a multiple-Academy-award-winning actor? What if, the film, despite being over 2.5 hours long, has enough steam to educate, inspire and move you? Yes, we are talking about Steven Spielberg’s ‘Lincoln’, wherein Daniel Day-Lewis plays the 16th President of the United States of America, Abraham Lincoln. The film has some of the most impactful cinematic moments of this year. Be it the debates, longish monologues, eerie use of silence, enigmatic conversational dialogue, the film has all the makings to be a memorable political drama. The length could have been cut short a trifle, but the film remains what it was meant to be – Great! Since it’s a real-life story, there is no ‘plot’ as such. The film revolves around the final four months of Lincoln’s (Daniel Day-Lewis) life in January 1865, focusing on his efforts to have the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution passed by the United States House of Representatives. This Amendment is being proposed in order to formally abolish slavery in the country. While the Civil War is underway, Lincoln is concerned that his 1863 Emancipation Proclamation maybe discarded by the courts once it concludes and the 13th Amendment defeated by the returning slave states . Thus, he wants the amendment to be passed by the end of January, hence removing any possibility that slaves who have already been freed may be re-enslaved. Needless to say, there is opposition from within his party and from outside. The film successfully showcases the various games people play to attain political dominance. Other pivotal characters of this adaptation include Secretary of State William Seward (David Strathairn), his wife Mary Todd Lincoln (Sally Field), the elder son Robert Lincoln (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), W.N Bilbo (James Spader) and Thaddeus Stevens (Tommy Lee Jones) among others. The film encompasses terrific dialogues (Tony Kushner, who is also the screenplay writer), a great premise (thanks to Doris Kearns Goodwin’s novel ‘Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln’), breath-taking visuals and superb performances (Lewis, Field, Jones, Spader among others). Special mention must go to the make-up department. No one looks, or acts, out of character. The historic accuracy of the film is open to debate. There are a few historians who have commended Spielberg’s efforts and there are some who have opposed the representation of some facts in the film. However, purely as a historical biopic (even if it comprises the last four months of his life), the film is a must-watch for politics/history/cinema enthusiasts. You may need to have basic knowledge about the American political system for watching this film. While watching this film, one wonders and rues why Indians have not been able to capture the lives of legends such as Gandhi and Nehru as excellently. Nehru is one such political figure whose biopic will make for an interesting watch! Hope someone makes that possible. Lincoln’s life story was fascinating. His rise from being a poor, self-educated child to become one of the most enigmatic personalities in world history is remarkable. Steven Spielberg’s film just captured the last four months of his life. Imagine if someone were to chronicle his entire life! Shivom Oza
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy December 30, 2012

This is amazing.

This is a really cool movie.It is action packed,great acting,cool graphics,and it's just AWESOME.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTerryD November 27, 2012

Excellent movie about a subject you think you know but don't.

Even my son who is a history buff learned new things about this time period from this film. I thought he might have been a bit bored when there weren't many battle scenes, but he was actually enthralled by the story and the beautifully acted characterzations rather than caractures often depicted in historically based movies. This film isn't for everyone; its more of a thinking persons movie than a teen action movie. All the actors in this movie were spot on. It even encouraged me to research certain situations to see if they were factual and they were.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDillonJ18 November 26, 2012

Great Movie

GREAT FILM! Swearing, smoking and violence throughout the film though. Great for mature teens, it's clean enough for 11 and 12 year olds but they most likely would'nt enjoy it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byInterested14 November 25, 2012

Masterfully made movie

This movie is a fantastic historical drama set in the time of the Civil War. Abraham Lincoln is trying to pass the 13th Amendment (which abolished slavery) in hopes that it will be the first step in ending the war. It is not very violent. There are only a couple scenes which show violence/gore. In one, men are fighting a battle with all kinds of guns and cannons and swords. It is somewhat disturbing as they die, but it is short and just a realistic depiction of a major battle in the Civil War. Other than this, the only other problem is some language. The F word is said at least once, and the N word several times (but this is important to the movie as it shows how some people felt about blacks in this time period). While it is appropriate for anyone older than 10, kids and younger teens may find it boring or difficult to understand. Practically everyone in the movie is a politician, and they are constantly using legal jargon and complex ideas with plenty of long words. Many themes are not outright said, so it takes a lot of comprehension to fully understand what is going on at certain points. Overall though, a truly great movie, certainly among the best I've ever seen.
Kid, 9 years old April 20, 2014

Good For History Fans That Can Handle Violence

I watched this movie when I was 9. I am really into history and can handle violence fairly well. I confess you need to be a adult to get some of the political parts and lots of kids in my class wouldn't like it but I, and a few other friends do/would enjoy it. There are a few bloody and violent scenes it is very interesting. Overall it has lot's of historical information and is ify for lot's of kid's but if you ore you kid handles violence well and likes history this movie is perfect for you.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZippy Girl13 February 6, 2014

Slow paced but Interesting

If you do not know the history behind this movie it could be a little confusing and dull but the acting is really good. The movie did a good job of building suspense even though every one already knows what happened.
Kid, 12 years old July 5, 2013

Good movie!

Great movie; wonderful acting by Daniel Day Lewis. Very educational as well. Not very fast paced.
Kid, 11 years old April 29, 2013

Good movie

Steven Spielberg did a wonderful job. And I will say the same about Daniel Day - Lewis. Wonderful movie but may drag on for some kids. Also battle scenes were gruesome, and they show severed limbs in a ditch outside a hospital.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnnaka1155 April 12, 2013

Loving Lincoln

When my grandmother offered to take me to the movies to see this film, I was excited, but my 12 year old brother was skeptical. After seeing this film, he and I both had a new respect for President Lincoln who has since become one of my idols. "Lincoln" profiles the last months of the man that changed our country, along with his trusted advisors. Daniel Day Lewis rightfully earned the Oscar that he won for his performance, and Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones both prove scene-stealers as Mrs. Lincoln and Stevens. I would 100% see this movie again, but I wouldn't take any children with me younger that 12, as there is mild language, violence, and scenes containing drinking. I think that this movie proved educational and entertaining, and I would recommend it for history-buffs, curious teens, and everyone in-between.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. April 1, 2013

Great

Occasional swearing and racial slurs.
Parent Written bydavidrox January 21, 2013

WOW

I LOVED It! it was sooo good. the script was amazing, the actors were amazing, the whole premise of the movie was amazing. this movie surrounds Abe Lincoln trying to pass the thirteenth amendment, to abolish slavery. however I STRONGLY CAUTION you do not show this to younger kids. this is because there is a battle scene, filled with men shooting each other, and STABBING each other in the face with gore and blood. another scene where you see a pile of severed limbs, and another part where you see a cannon ball in someone's chest. also the language is bad, featuring the N word, the B word, two F words, lots of S words, and lots of A words, and D words. i suggest thirteen and over can see this. Language: 6/10, Violence: 8/10, Sex: 0/10
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 January 20, 2013

Lincoln is worthy of its Best Picture nomination

So going into Lincoln I wasn’t sure how good it would be. Going out of it was a totally different experience. Going out I thought it was a great movie. It had a great script with great acting. I’ve seen it twice and I can honestly say that it should win some academy awards. The only violence is the opening scene which is a war scene. No nudity or sex. Language was disappointing. There was about 35 profanities and there was 2 f-words and s-words. Did they really have those words back then? I guess Spielberg thought so. But nonetheless it was a great historic movie that is best for teens on up mostly because I doubt it would hold the attention of little kids say 12 and under.
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2013

Lincoln

The movie is a great drama about the passing of the 13th amendment (The best amendment, aside from the First, in my opinion). The language is the worst thing, to me at least. And I am not considering a frequent use of "Nincompoop" (I belive that is how you spell that, please excuse my lesser strength in the spelling field) as a language.