All member reviews for Lincoln

Outstanding drama about revered leader's political genius.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 January 20, 2013

Lincoln is worthy of its Best Picture nomination

So going into Lincoln I wasn’t sure how good it would be. Going out of it was a totally different experience. Going out I thought it was a great movie. It had a great script with great acting. I’ve seen it twice and I can honestly say that it should win some academy awards. The only violence is the opening scene which is a war scene. No nudity or sex. Language was disappointing. There was about 35 profanities and there was 2 f-words and s-words. Did they really have those words back then? I guess Spielberg thought so. But nonetheless it was a great historic movie that is best for teens on up mostly because I doubt it would hold the attention of little kids say 12 and under.
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2013

Lincoln

The movie is a great drama about the passing of the 13th amendment (The best amendment, aside from the First, in my opinion). The language is the worst thing, to me at least. And I am not considering a frequent use of "Nincompoop" (I belive that is how you spell that, please excuse my lesser strength in the spelling field) as a language.
Adult Written byJEDI micah December 21, 2012

Spielberg has done it again!!!

Man, Spielberg knows how to make a great movie! Lincoln is an excellent movie! The acting, especially done by Daniel Day-Lewis, is very well-done, the story, even though predictable, is well-written, and the positive messages President Lincoln shows makes him a great role model for kids! The violence in this movie is not that bad compared to other historical war movies, although there are some disturbing scenes of dead bodies of soldiers. Language is a little bit strong, with two uses of the "f" word, and a large use of the "n" world for African Americans. Other than that, this is a really good movie, not just for history buffs, but for everyone who wants a good way to remember America's greatest President!
Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 December 15, 2012

Extremely well done Abraham Lincoln Bio deserves Oscar noms

This movie was amazing!!! The dialogue was really well written, and the performances are extremely Oscar worthy!!! Most notably, Daniel Day Lewis as Abraham Lincoln and if he doesn't get a nomination for best actor then I don't know what's wrong with the academy. Everybody else was really good including Tommy Lee Jones, Joseph Gordon Levitt, and a lot of other people. I think Sally Field is a good actress but I think she kind of over did it. Overall, this was great movie and I definitely recommend it. 9+
Parent of a 12 year old Written byaea309 November 30, 2012

"This is so well done"!

My 12 year old kept turning to me and saying "This is so well done!" It was wonderfully done. Sally Field was terrific. Great ensemble cast. I won't say my son is a history buff, but he loves Lincoln, and well made movies. Some of the language was surprising but not too much. The goriness of the war was startling but no worse than Saving Private Ryan. Plus it's the truth. My son and I discuss war and politics all the time. As the future of this country I want him to understand just how horrible war is because it seems our "go to". We discussed how Democrats and Republican were displayed, and why they did what they did for hours afterwards. We linked it to what was is happening today. It was a great opportunity to tie history and current events together, and question the absurdity of it all. The film impressed him immensely, and I was just glad he was old enough to appreciate it. It took its time, as others said, but it was well worth it! Younger than 12/13 may not enjoy or understand it as much.
Parent Written byImjustsaying November 24, 2012

Great movie for the whole family

I really liked this movie. It is long but not boring, I love that period in history, civil war, fashion, etc. The movie is long and talky so younger kids might get bored but my 14 year old loved it and so did my 9 year old even though she got antsy around hour and half into it. The movie is very moving and follows the civil war, Lincoln's as president, trying to get slavery abolished and his marriage/children life.
Parent Written bythenoah November 16, 2012

Not the best, but very good

I was expecting a civil war epic. In some ways, I was pleasantly surprised, but in some I was bitterly disappointed. A bit more like watching a documentary, not a movie. Still acting and scenery were superb. A bit of cussing. although I think it is okay for younger children, they will NOT be interested.
Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ August 29, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Spartan July 23, 2015

Some war violence and a couple of f-words and racist language. Some smoking as well.
Kid, 8 years old July 5, 2015

Quite graphic but amazing drama has lots of war violence, and blood.

My rating:R brief bloody war violence throughout, and language.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedklat April 25, 2015

Teen, 13 years old Written byHweetseart April 18, 2015

Disappointing

I really didn't liked this film. It was bad. Also, it contains violence.
Written byAnonymous February 12, 2015

Thrilling but dark Abraham Lincoln flick has lots of war

My rating: PG-13 for violence,wounded sequences,brief strong language,sexuality and a disturbing image
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2014

Great movie about Lincoln!

This is a great movie although they use very bad profanity. Words so harsh used multiple times like n***a, f**k, s**t, son of a bitch, bastard, asshole, what the hell, damn it, and goddamn. Not appropriate for little kids to hear such words.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDog Bone November 2, 2013

Ok

Brutally violent beginning but no violence after that. Good movie but very very very slow. Some language. Great acting!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynatedogg360 August 10, 2013

Amazing movie, though younger kids probably won't like it.

One of my favorite movies of 2012! Lincoln is a great role model, though sometimes he snaps at his colleagues, but is a great father, and husband. There are some scenes of war violence, and a supporting character gets slapped hard. The main issue is the language, which was kind of surprising since it's set in the 1800's. Also, younger kids may not like it if they don't like history, or want an action packed movie.
Kid, 9 years old July 22, 2013

lincoln

A fine movie for kids 12 and up
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2013

I was disapointed.

The film did have some good qualities (acting, costumes, make-up), but as far as entertainment goes, this film was boring. Now we all know that Lincoln was killed in April 1865, the film starts in January 1865. During that four month period, each day goes by at a ten-minute rate, and each scene is about the same thing: A debate, a meeting, and Lincoln talking to some people in favor of abolishing slavery. Then the same thing happens in the next scene. I'm not sure if got more interesting further into it because I fell asleep half way through. The saddest thing about it is that this movie couldn't have been any better.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycinnagurl April 6, 2013

Lincoln

This is really good. but it is a bit slow in the middle. i feel asleep but was wide awake for the end!
Teen, 16 years old Written bytheaterman342 April 3, 2013

Steven Spielberg creates one of the greatest films about Lincoln.

this film has had countless reviews all saying the same this is one of the greatest films ever made, and Daniel Day-Lewis proves to us that he can prove to anyone that he is Lincoln even though he was just portraying him this is a great watch and everybody should see it.