Beetlejuice wannabe with potty talk, a bit of heart.

Kid, 9 years old September 7, 2012

Terrible

This was the worst movie eeeeevvvvveerrrr how can this be for kids 8 and up do you think a little kids head getting torn off is appropriate for 8 year olds the dumbmovie doesn't even have a s moral. All it is is a movie ment to scare kids whatever company made this movie boooooooo hiss I'd give it -73,00 stars if I could. They make the movie sound silly but parents don't be fold and DON'T pick this movie for family movie night that's how they get you me and my 3 year old cousin fell for the trap we thought it would be funny but boy were we wrong,we both busted out in tears when the little kids head got torn off. We watched this garbage right before bed. Watching this movie at daytime is already enough but before bed,and even worse there was a funny part in the middle and like one minute after it got all scary . All this garbage is about is kids going to bed and there's monsters under the bed . The moral is scary the moral is going under your bed and losing body parts booooo.
Kid, 12 years old December 8, 2010

Oh, just another kids movie, nothing to... *sees the head removal scene* Oh my sweet lord... ABORT, ABORT ALL PARENTS!

This movie is what is known as nightmare fuel. I saw this and thought typical kiddie flick. There was no moral, all profanity, scary creatures, and even A KID HAVING HIS HEAD TORN OFF! When I saw that scene, I gasped! I do not gasp that easy... The kid's head was just torn off... To recap, avoid this thing like the black plague, and if you will excuse me, I'm going to try to wash my mind of the horror. Thanks for reading!
Adult Written byardellm July 1, 2015

One of my favorites from my childhood.

I was almost three when I first saw this movie and it quickly became one of my favorites. My parents actually had to buy me my own copy because I didn't want to return the rental to the store. I think whether or not it is appropriate for a child depends on the child and the parent. My mother used Little Monsters as a tool to teach me about the nature of people and to get me to stop being afraid of monsters. She explained that like the monsters in the movie, there are good people and bad people. Just because some people (or monsters) may turn out to be bad didn't mean that you should avoid all people (or monsters) because then you miss out on the good ones. If your child is easily traumatized or you don't want to take the time to explain this principle, you probably shouldn't show them this movie. If not, go right ahead. Children are much easier to deal with if they can and will deal with their own monsters, and learn to overcome the ones that scare them.
Parent Written byheybrubakers4 November 5, 2011

THIS MOVIE HAS PROBLEMS YOU NEVER WANT TO ENCOUNTER

THIS IS A HORRIBLE MOVIE! Very inappropriate scenes and talk. Women are used as sex objects, and the main character watches a show dedicated to just that. One scene even includes the monster peeing in a bottle of apple juice as a prank (from the back side though). Bad language is used constantly throughout the movie. This includes p***, b*****, d***, s***, and others. Violent character RIPS KID'S HEAD OFF, after torturing him! Disturbing, violent, crude, inappropriate! Note to parents: Don't ever let your kids see this movie! KEEP THEIR MINDS SAFE. Don't let this horror into them. IT IS JUST COMPLETELY TERRIBLE STUFF!
Adult Written byGeoCPU November 22, 2010

Watch Out! I was snookered by the On for 8+ common sense rating this had.

There is much too much in the way of questionable language, inuendo, and lude references in this movie for preteens to be watching it. We turned it off less than half-way through. The ultimate message may be positive, but you would have to wade through too much garbage to get to it. Different strokes for different folks, but I was shocked at the content based on the On for 8+ that this movie had.
Adult Written bywonder dove September 16, 2012

Great Underrated Monster Movie!

Let me start off by saying I first watched this movie when my mother taped it on TV when I was around 8. I loved it, and still do. Back then, bad words were dubbed so there was nothing bad I remember hearing. I bought the movie on DVD some years ago and I seriously cannot believe how much bad language is in it!!! Especially for a movie targeted towards kids. But - the movie is very fun and entertaining. Little brother Eric (Played by Ben Savage) hears noises and sees shadows in his bedroom which have him screaming half the night. He convinces his older brother Brian (played by Fred Savage - Ben's real-life brother) to switch bedrooms with him so he can prove there really are monsters. From there on, Brian discovers a real-life monster under his bed (Played by Howie Mandel). The two soon become best friends when Maurice the monster introduces Brian to his secret under world where only monsters rule. In monster world, there are no rules or adult supervision. After spending most of his time with Maurice, Brian learns that he is actually turning into a monster himself! Now the language is persistent (lots of uses of the word sh*t by kids, holy sh*t, p*ss, hell, b*tch, @ss, goddamn). Sexual references (Maurice pulls Brian's pants down and a girl monster says "Nice @ss!) some references to sex but not too graphic (like playing with yourself, a man's best friend is his right hand, reference to the playboy channel...etc) a boy crushes on a girl. Lots of violence (kid gets his eyes pushed in and his head ripped off, kids get bullied, violent monster play, explosives, monster pees in a school boy's apple-juice bottle, kids play pranks on each other...etc). The scare factor is huge for youngsters, it's super scary with frightening situations (a new born baby is terrorized by scary monsters for fun), the Master Monster "Boyd" is very scary and mean. Overall, the film is super funny and cool but the bad stuff is mainly humorous and fantasy - probably overlooked by most children. Watch it first before letting your young ones see it. For mature ages 9 and up but better targeted toward tweens and teens!
Kid, 11 years old February 21, 2011

Good Movie

I love this movie, i have seen it sooo many times. There is a lot of language, but 9 and up shuold be fine with it. As long as they know not to repeat it.
Kid, 11 years old July 16, 2011

Iffy

A fairly good movie other than graphic violence and lots of swearing.
Adult Written byLisa H. January 21, 2017

Amazing movie, must watch

I grew up watching this movie and still love it to this day! It's the Kind of monster movie that makes you want a monster under your bed, I remember watching this movie at a very young age, then going under my bed hoping to find Maurice. Yes the movie does have swearing and some scene with that may be considered inappropriate in this day and age, but It's nothing compared to the music and movies that the kids are likely to see nowadays. Give the movie a chance, I think you will be surprised by how much you love it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeyo_Simba October 28, 2016

Woah! No!

This movie does not deserve a PG rating. PG-13 at least. This show will just make your want to hurl.
Parent Written byLisa 1 April 21, 2016

age 8 is way too young

This movie is scary and leaves an uncomfortable feeling over all.
Educator and Parent Written bymoviemummy July 25, 2015

Very Bad

I wouldn't recommend this movie for any age. The acting is bad, the plot is terrible, the attempts at humor are completely inappropriate for kids, and the scary bits go way overboard. This movie is really dark, both visually and thematically. There are many other better monster movies for kids. SKIP THIS ONE!