All member reviews for Little Shop of Horrors

Teen, 15 years old Written byTacoWiz July 11, 2011

The play is better for kids, adults, and all audiences.

The original play was a brilliant tragicomedy (tragedy mixed with comedy). The movie follows the play rather closely, except with two major differences. 1. The movie tries to make the protagonist, Seymour Krelborne, look more sympathetic than in the play. 2. The movie has a standard Hollywood happy ending, while the play ended with Seymour getting his just desserts. The play, while creepy, was also brilliant. I'm a HUGE fan of the play. It made me laugh, cry, and shake in my seat, all in just 80 minutes plus intermission. The movie does not do the play justice. It takes the play, which was basically Faust set in an old B-movie, and warps it to the point where the entire message has been diluted into nothing. Thanks, Hollywood. A more depressing ending was filmed and shown to test audiences. The test audiences cried during it, so it was removed. Well, OF COURSE! That's the charm of the play! Not only do you laugh, but you ALSO cry! That's why it's so brilliant!
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 26, 2010

Words Can't Describe My Love For This Movie

I am in love with this movie. I love the play, too. A friend of mine and I are directing our own version of the play in which I am the voice of Audrey II, which is the evil plant. I can't wait! Anyway, This movie is creepy, but totally hilarious. Creepy humor is my sort of thing. It might be too scary for little kids, particularly the plant, but I know when I was watching it for the first time at age 8 I just thought the plant was funny. All the people I know love it. I say give it a try, you'll probably love it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDragynwulf July 21, 2010

Pretty Funny, good movie adaptation

Violence? Seriously? Seymour feeds Audrey II newspapers and a boot instead of chopped-up-dentist! There is zero gore in this movie. The most violent part involves off-screen sound effects. The sadistic dentist, played by Steve Martin, is hilarious. Even a little kid who didn't find the dentist funny would only find him mildly scary. And there isn't a ton of swearing either. By the way, a plant that sings the blues is, like steve martin being a sadistic dentist, funny NOT scary.
Kid, 10 years old September 26, 2012

My favorite movie of all time!!

This is my favorite movie of all time, by a long shot. There is like no violence whatsoever, and the feeding scene isn't graphic AT ALL. That trail of blood wouldn't fool or scare a four year old, and it's supposed to be that way. Infact, my four year old stepsister has seen the whole movie and doesn't flinch or look away at anytime, she just laughs. The plant has a trash mouth, no doubt about it, especially in the final scene. I first watched this a few months ago, but I could have handled it by the age of two. The average six year old will probubly be green light, maybe younger. Just know your kid.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette February 7, 2012

Not really violent.

Watched it when i was 7. I hate any blood, fake or real, but this movie has NONE.
Kid, 12 years old July 16, 2011

AWESOME!!!

This is a hilarious movie!!! I love Rick Moranis and Steve Martin! Great Cast! A FANTASTIC musical comedy!!! There is some off screen gore and the sadistic dentist is just kind of creepy. The plant uses bad language and Audrey wears provocative clothing, but it's really not that inappropriate.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 March 25, 2011

Dark Comedy With Great Songs!

A Hilarious, but spooky comedy with a man-eating plant named Audrey II. Young children will be afraid of it, but teens up and will laugh when the plant opens his mouth. (Feed me!) Besides how many films do you have where plants sing, (except Veggie Tales)
Teen, 13 years old Written byParamoreFan09 February 7, 2010

Ehhh... not for me...

This movie was pretty weird... It had a few parts with un needed gore.. I personally didn't get many laughs.
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2009

Teen, 14 years old Written byzapper1234566 March 27, 2009

GOOD move but not for the fiant of hart but if u have a dark sense of humer like me this is awsome!

I saw this when I was 11 and I though is was a butifuly pulled off musical I mean audrey II is in fact a howl lot of pupeterrs verg good movie and an amasing musical.
Teen, 13 years old Written byamber_32 April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 October 20, 2014

Little shop, little shop of horrors!

As I am currently doing a performance of this musical, I'd thought I'd reveiw the film. I enjoy it, but I was disappointed by the poor casting for some characters.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydoctor11 October 10, 2014

great if you like different musicals

I loved this movie. I was skeptical at first but I ended up really enjoying this movie. Why it's supposed to be a tad on the dark side, it freshened things up with happy tuned songs that you want to hear again and again. My favorites being Suddenly Seymore, Dentist, and Grow for Me :) and believe it or not this ridiculous movie made me cry. Very well done. Also Ellen Greene has such talent being able to go from high pitched and whiney to deep belting. Here are the complications. Violence: well for one this movie is about a giant man eating plant. The first whole person he eats is chopped up by Seymore. The chopping isn't seen though. Just a shadow and to make things less gory he actually wraps the parts in news paper and there is almost no blood. So nothing is really seen. The other people are swallowed whole so no blood. Also tge dentists is a sadist. He likes to hurt Audrey and his patients so maybe not for a kid who is afraid of the dentist. Sexy stuff: little here. Audrey wears lower cut neck lines. And she subtly hints at kinky activities but it will go right over a kids head. I almost didn't even catch them. The good thing is that Seymore is never in love with Audrey's boobs or hair and he never looks at her wrong it's a very innocent love. Swearing: hell and d*mn are said a few times. But the worst part is the Audrey II sings at the end. He has a pretty fowl mouth. Using words like titties (only a few times), sh*t, *ss, mother (a very mild profanity the was popular in the 80s. Don't know if you count this.) Drugs (sort of): the Dentist breathes "giggle gas" sometimes before he works on a patient to make it even more fun. This seems like a nod to drugs to me because he will put a mask to his face, take a beep breath, then laugh like a maniac. He even has a special mask for special occasions. Take this as you will. Well that is all I hope I helped you decide :)
Teen, 14 years old Written bymrnewbe October 3, 2014

Feed me

This is not a movie for people scared easily, and if you have seen the play it is way different. But the humor is great, the puppetry is even better, and the music is the best.
Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2014

Absolutely loved it!!!!

I really enjoyed this musical! I would've given it five stars but still, there is some swearing, and some gory scenes but they don't show to much to make the movie that scary. Though Audrey ll could scare little kids but I found the plant funny and a small bit scary. Yes I know there is a sadistic dentist, and may I say I loved his song! But over all a good film, a little bit of swearing, gore, and provocative clothing. But over all it was a great film with a little bit of something for everybody to enjoy!
Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2014

A classic movie.

Little Shop of Horrors is definitely a classic. It stars Seymour Krelborn, a poor man who works in a flower shop in a low-quality city called Skid Row, with his fellow worker and crush Audrey (she's a little bit stereotypical) and his crude boss, Mr. Mushnik. He discovers a foreign plant and takes it to the shop, whereas it gains a lot of attention. It doesn't seem to grow... until he discovers that it feeds on blood. He simply pricks his fingers and gives it small amounts of it, but it eventually grows and needs a little more than blood, only to retain his job and impress Audrey. There is a dentist named Orin Scrivello who is abusive and sadistic (he is either scary or funny depending on who watches it). It doesn't show anything bad, but there is a scene where he notably wrestles her into his house, whereas he starts beating her up behind a curtain (it's shown through a window), and calls her a few bad names. There is no gore in the movie whatsoever, but there is a fighting scene in the end. The songs are happy and bouncy and catchy, beautiful work by the famous Alan Menken who makes scores for various Disney movies. It's definitely a musical and comedy and a bit romantic too, despite the name that could hint horror. I actually did get a few laughs from the movie. A good watch, not for younger audiences.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 April 5, 2013

Startlingly original, campy fun!

My high school's putting on this play, which sparked my interest in seeing the film version. At times it can be extremely funny and clever, and now and then it got a little over the top, but that's what it's supposed to be. For families, Audrey 2's language gets salty near the end as it plans to take over the world, but other than that it's fine, campy joy with wonderful numbers!
Kid, 9 years old January 14, 2013

good moovie!

it is weird and creepy,good music,good acting,with a crazy,psycho dentist.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats January 13, 2013

A Singing Plant. A Daring Hero. A Sweet Girl. A Demented Dentist.

A classic. Frank Oz captures the magic of the original musical fabulously and Ellen Greene and Rick Moranis are perfect. Some language and the plant is shown eating some people but not language and violence are not very explicit. No f-words. The dentist, played by Steve Martin, is hilarious but frequently uses drugs but not too explicit. A-.
Kid, 9 years old November 22, 2012

Fanomanal movie, some not so good stuff for younger kids.

This is my favorite movie of all time. And I'm a kid! The plant cusses a bit, and the sadistic dentist DOES get chopped up but, the only stuff shown when Seymour is feeding him to the plant is a boot and newspapers! But, he is sadistic so watch that. He hurts Audrey and in the beginning she comes to work with a black eye and in one scene has her arm in a cast. She even says it in this lyric, " so I got a black eye and my arm's in a cast." So some bad stuff and if your child knows this stuff and is mature, I think it's a great family watch.