All member reviews for Little Shop of Horrors

Teen, 15 years old Written byTacoWiz July 11, 2011

The play is better for kids, adults, and all audiences.

The original play was a brilliant tragicomedy (tragedy mixed with comedy). The movie follows the play rather closely, except with two major differences. 1. The movie tries to make the protagonist, Seymour Krelborne, look more sympathetic than in the play. 2. The movie has a standard Hollywood happy ending, while the play ended with Seymour getting his just desserts. The play, while creepy, was also brilliant. I'm a HUGE fan of the play. It made me laugh, cry, and shake in my seat, all in just 80 minutes plus intermission. The movie does not do the play justice. It takes the play, which was basically Faust set in an old B-movie, and warps it to the point where the entire message has been diluted into nothing. Thanks, Hollywood. A more depressing ending was filmed and shown to test audiences. The test audiences cried during it, so it was removed. Well, OF COURSE! That's the charm of the play! Not only do you laugh, but you ALSO cry! That's why it's so brilliant!
Kid, 11 years old December 6, 2009

I loved it but it was way to scary for my three year old cousin
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2009

Not for kids who get scared easily.

I love the musical numbers and characters, but my 6 year old brother ran away in terror in the last scene with Audrey 2.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDragynwulf July 21, 2010

Pretty Funny, good movie adaptation

Violence? Seriously? Seymour feeds Audrey II newspapers and a boot instead of chopped-up-dentist! There is zero gore in this movie. The most violent part involves off-screen sound effects. The sadistic dentist, played by Steve Martin, is hilarious. Even a little kid who didn't find the dentist funny would only find him mildly scary. And there isn't a ton of swearing either. By the way, a plant that sings the blues is, like steve martin being a sadistic dentist, funny NOT scary.
Teen, 13 years old Written byamber_32 April 9, 2008

Kid, 12 years old July 16, 2011

AWESOME!!!

This is a hilarious movie!!! I love Rick Moranis and Steve Martin! Great Cast! A FANTASTIC musical comedy!!! There is some off screen gore and the sadistic dentist is just kind of creepy. The plant uses bad language and Audrey wears provocative clothing, but it's really not that inappropriate.
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2009

Teen, 14 years old Written byzapper1234566 March 27, 2009

GOOD move but not for the fiant of hart but if u have a dark sense of humer like me this is awsome!

I saw this when I was 11 and I though is was a butifuly pulled off musical I mean audrey II is in fact a howl lot of pupeterrs verg good movie and an amasing musical.
Teen, 13 years old Written byParamoreFan09 February 7, 2010

Ehhh... not for me...

This movie was pretty weird... It had a few parts with un needed gore.. I personally didn't get many laughs.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 March 25, 2011

Dark Comedy With Great Songs!

A Hilarious, but spooky comedy with a man-eating plant named Audrey II. Young children will be afraid of it, but teens up and will laugh when the plant opens his mouth. (Feed me!) Besides how many films do you have where plants sing, (except Veggie Tales)
Teen, 15 years old Written bybwayboy April 4, 2011

Amazing Music and Acting

This classic has amazing music and the story is good. I love musicals and found that this did not disappoint. However, Audrey does wear provocative clothing but most teenage girls wear less today. Audrey II has a pretty dirty mouth to say the least. The dentist (who is extremely funny and is steve martin) abuses Audrey on multiple occasions. The film may seem bloody and gory but you never really see much. Lets remember this movie was made like 20 years ago and the blood effects weren't amazing. The Audrey II effects are done realistically and done well. My brother who was 7ish when he saw it was terrified. I was 10ish and I found it amazing as I still do. Parents might want to watch it first but is a very good movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 26, 2010

Words Can't Describe My Love For This Movie

I am in love with this movie. I love the play, too. A friend of mine and I are directing our own version of the play in which I am the voice of Audrey II, which is the evil plant. I can't wait! Anyway, This movie is creepy, but totally hilarious. Creepy humor is my sort of thing. It might be too scary for little kids, particularly the plant, but I know when I was watching it for the first time at age 8 I just thought the plant was funny. All the people I know love it. I say give it a try, you'll probably love it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLautum May 12, 2010

Not for younger kids, but perfect for teens

I thought it was a great movie, but the plant and the dentist had a lot of bad language. I know it's wrong to abuse drugs, but the dentist scene is so funny when he's high, even though it kills him. Some blood on Seymour's apron, some fake body parts get fed to the plant, it's perfectly fine for teenagers.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjkn127 July 21, 2010

iffy for kids but anyone over 9 should watch it with not much problems

I personally loved it i found the DVD in my garage and watched it with my nephew whom is 6-years old and he absolutely loved it. I remember being scared in this movie as a kid. I think it's good if you'r kids can handle it there isn't too much violence in this movie no blood at all just the thoughts can be scary. Most of the sex and drugs in this movie are mild and will most likely fly past kids heads. The music and comedy is great i highly recommend this film
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

more of a musical than a horror movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKIdX13 January 24, 2009

Fun musical will please teens.

This is a very cute musical, it's suposed to be a horor movie, but it's so upbeat and perky it's imposible to be thretened by it. It dose have issues though: 1.Audry 2 eats people, but there's little gore, The dentist enjoys causing people pain and abuses his girlfriend. 2. Some swearing, mostly from audry 2, witch includes D--n, T-tys, S--t and C--p. 3. Audry (the person not the plant) wears tight outfits throut most of the movie. 4. the dentist abuses laughing gas in acreepy way. So overall this is a really fun musical that is fine for kis 13 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette February 7, 2012

Not really violent.

Watched it when i was 7. I hate any blood, fake or real, but this movie has NONE.
Kid, 11 years old November 3, 2012

My FAVORITE movie!!!!!!!!

This is my fav movie! There are people out there who think the plant is scary; I disagree. The plant is FUNNY. It's meant to be humorous, the dentist as well. Audrey II does have a dirty mouth, especially in Mean Green Mother. This musical is timeless!!
Kid, 9 years old November 22, 2012

Fanomanal movie, some not so good stuff for younger kids.

This is my favorite movie of all time. And I'm a kid! The plant cusses a bit, and the sadistic dentist DOES get chopped up but, the only stuff shown when Seymour is feeding him to the plant is a boot and newspapers! But, he is sadistic so watch that. He hurts Audrey and in the beginning she comes to work with a black eye and in one scene has her arm in a cast. She even says it in this lyric, " so I got a black eye and my arm's in a cast." So some bad stuff and if your child knows this stuff and is mature, I think it's a great family watch.
Kid, 10 years old September 26, 2012

My favorite movie of all time!!

This is my favorite movie of all time, by a long shot. There is like no violence whatsoever, and the feeding scene isn't graphic AT ALL. That trail of blood wouldn't fool or scare a four year old, and it's supposed to be that way. Infact, my four year old stepsister has seen the whole movie and doesn't flinch or look away at anytime, she just laughs. The plant has a trash mouth, no doubt about it, especially in the final scene. I first watched this a few months ago, but I could have handled it by the age of two. The average six year old will probubly be green light, maybe younger. Just know your kid.