All member reviews for Little Women

Lovely Alcott adaptation tugs at the heartstrings.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypickledwookiee.... April 9, 2009

Heart warming movie

This is an excellent movie for all ages!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheScribbler April 11, 2011

Amazing.

This is probably my favorite movie ever. So beautiful... something the whole family can thoroughly enjoy. As an aspiring writer, Jo is a wonderful role model for me, and the sisterly love between all the March's is lovely :) I'd also like to add that I know a good many guys that loved this movie too!
Adult Written bysarah_from_yale April 9, 2008

Heartwarming

This touching film was created in the same vein as the novel - an honest but optimistic look at the 19th century and an affirmation of the power of love. Though sad at moments, the value of the film is not in the events but rather how the March family reacts and copes.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bySierraAmie April 8, 2015

One of my favorite movies! Good for young kids too!

I am surprised the site has given this movie such a high age recommendation. My daughter has been watching this movie since she was 5 years old and she loves it. And my daughter is very sensitive to violence and trauma, so much that she can't watch Finding Nemo or Free Willy. The story definitely has some hard scenes - with Amy falling into the icy pond and Beth dying - but overall the story is just so sweet and innocent - and I love the values that are conveyed especially for young women. My favorite scene is when Marmy is brushing Jo's hair and they are all talking about the desire to be beautiful and rich and have multiple suitors compared to Marmy's perspective that you be valued for your mind and virtue and her girls thinking "that's all they are." I also appreciate the movie showing the girls being good friends with Laurie (a young man) since most stories of mixed-gender relationships are mostly romantic, silly, rude, or even conflicted. It's rare to find movies that address these issues for girls in contrast to all the Disney princess movies that focus on beauty, riches & male attention as if those are the primary considerations for a girls' life. Little Women is beautifully acted (all-star cast: Susan Sarandon, Christian Bale, Claire Danes, Daniel Byrne, Kirsten Dunst), beautifully filmed, wonderful soundtrack, etc. Can't say enough about the value of your kids getting to know this movie!
Parent of a 3, 5, and 8 year old Written byDeniseArts June 10, 2014

A great version of the book.

Wonderful acting, inspiring role models, and a family that truly cares about each other during difficult times. That, and the beautiful music and acting all around make this a holiday favorite.
Kid, 12 years old September 14, 2011

family movie

I think this little women is the best out of all the others. It is great for all ages. If you want a good movie for the family this is it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bya teen book lover February 15, 2010

perfict family movie

I liked it.It was cool little movie.
Kid, 11 years old March 18, 2015

My opinion

It is a great movie and book but for people who don't like romance this movie is not for you. Although, it is not above the level where 9 year olds could handle it. I like the suspense. Also, it is old timy so wear is odd but the limit in tech adds an element.
Kid, 11 years old September 6, 2013

Great movie! I think it really lived up to the book. The only part I thought was poorly done was when Jo rejects Laurie. In the book, it's in a more kind way seeing as they are friends and she worries about hurting his feelings. But in the movie, she practically kicks him to the curb! Otherwise, some somewhat violent parts including a girl falling through ice, a sister getting mad and fighting the other, etc. Also, a beloved character dies from being sick, and made me cry, so some kids may be upset. Overall, this movie has great role models, just like the book.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Five Strong Women who are Very Big in Spirit

"Little Women" was a favorite of my mother's, and became a favorite book and film for me. The March sisters and Marmee are chock-a-block with positive traits. Marmee, in particular, isn't shy about delivering wise messages, such as that wealth and beauty can't beat self-respect, selfishness is a vice, physical punishment is the easy way out, and gender roles shouldn't confine someone to societal expectations. However, nobody in this film is preachy. Instead, this all comes across as a pro-family, pro-feminine slice of life. As for the male characters: Dad is loved and feels his daughters' pride, Professor Baher is a wise mentor and friend, as well as love interest, to Jo, and Laurie, though flawed, grows up gradually and realistically. The major caveat here comes from Beth; her illness and death will likely disturb young viewers. It's implied that Laurie has a wild streak, which he indulges. A few minor characters drink and/or smoke. Amy's teacher hits her (not shown onscreen, but we do see the results). For whoever is prepared for these, though, the March women are well worth getting to know.
Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2011

Ok

I liked it but I truthfully think that Jo should have married Laurie and that it was horrible when Beth died. Other than that it was a pretty good movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byht3696 November 12, 2010

Awesome movie (:
Parent of a 9, 13, and 17 year old Written byPie Mama September 5, 2010

Wonderful, but mostly for girls.....mostly...

When Beth dies is very sad, and it can be scary when Amy fall's into the ice. There are a few kisses, but no sex. Women are sometimes treated in a sexist way, but Jo seems to go against that, and even does against that. It is mostly for females, but some males may want to sneak watch it ;).
Kid, 11 years old August 23, 2010

love this movie but only if your a girl.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byninoca100 June 30, 2009

I LOVE THIS MOVIE

GREAT KIDS MOVIE

Little Women

A really nice book and a colorful movie. (LOL) Anyway it is a nice, perfectly clean book/movie for all ages-- albeit ages 8 and up so they understand it a bit. I found it rather sad it in the book that Laurie and Jo didnt get together. But its clean, i swear. (In books, Im a clean freak)