All member reviews for Lone Survivor

Brutal, powerful, ultimately moving true Navy SEAL story.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byAuctionmom January 12, 2014

Great movie for teenagers- but not all

We took our 12 and 14 year old sons to see this movie last night. I agree that the movie is gory and intense. There are some curse words which are appropriate, given the situation. From my teenager's perspective, he remarked that the director did not "hollywoodize" the content. It felt real from beginning to end. Training is not easy. War is not pretty. Good people die. In the face of a compromised mission, these seals had to grapple with ethical issues, such as whether to kill unarmed civilians and not leaving a man behind. In the face of all the violence, there are Afganis willing to risk their lives to help the Americans. The photo montage of the real folks who were lost in the mission is quite moving. I think this is a somber movie that is appropriate for teenagers, namely boys, about the realities of war. What brought me to tears was watching my 14 year old independently introduce himself to a Army vet in the parking lot as we were leaving the movie and thanking the gentlemen for his service.
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byBret Friend January 17, 2014

Great movie!

I should start this review by saying that without hesitation I took both my 16 yr old son as well as my 14 yr old daughter. I had read the book, and knew there would be lots of shooting and blood. With that said, I feel that everything was handled appropriately and, honestly, was probably less horrific than what was portrayed in the book. The real positive I believe is the movie's ability to give a real perspective on the costs of keeping America free. My kids really took note of the pictures of the brave young men at the end of the movie. Although I think you have to know your kids and should discuss the emotions this film draws but all in all I highly recommend it for young people.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJacob andrew matich December 31, 2013

Jacob matich

There is violence in lone survivor and some language
Teen, 16 years old Written bybwils927 March 6, 2014

Life Changing

This movie changed the way I go about my life. As soon as I saw the trailer for this I could not wait to see it. The four men depicted in this movie are four of the bravest men to ever walk this Earth and I am honored to be from the same country as them. Anyone who says there is too much violence just simply does not understand this world. Anyone complaining about the swearing needs to wake the hell up. I'm pretty sure that if two of your fingers were shot off, you would likely scream "Aww, f***". To anyone who doesn't want their kids to hear swears: YOUR KID SWEARS EVERY FREAKING DAY AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!!! The reason I put 16 and over is because I, a 16.5 year old, do not believe that anyone younger than me can understand the true meaning of this film and what it means to be a member of the US Military. 99% of the people who saw this movie do not have what it takes, and I am certainly one of them, which make me respect these men and all who serve much more. I could go on and on about this, but overall, it was a life changing movie
Teen, 16 years old Written by1234Khashayar January 20, 2014

Act Of Valor - Review

It depends on families(Parents). If your child isn't good with violence you may prefer to turn-off the T.V for them. But no if your child isn't bad with them. This movie will get them a sense of honor and respect for soldiers. They may understand the good and bad of this movie, by them selves. Be careful, maybe kids under 14, may not be good with this sort of movies. So it may give them, a bit of action acts.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLoveBands June 30, 2014

Great Movie

This movie is my absolute favorite. It has action, it has a good storyline, and the actors play it perfectly. The amount of violence is what you would expect from a war movie, that is there is a lot. It shows a man about to be decapitated on a log, where others had obviously had the same done to them, and overall deals with the death of the whole team that was deployed except for the Lone Survivor, hence the name. I didn't find a problem with the amount of violence, but I have been exposed to blood and gore from a young age. There is a fair amount of swearing, including a few F words, but truthfully if your child is at the middle school age, they have heard all and more of it before. It is also based on a true story, which to me makes it that much more interesting.
Parent Written byJames Durson July 25, 2014

A few important things

Its bloody and gory, but for anyone who's watched an action movie rated PG-13 or up is probably OK.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTom Moore March 9, 2014

One of the greatest war dramas

Too many people do not think that much of war. They don't know what it is like. This movie conveys what war is like. You get to know the characters and learn to like them. Once you see them in trouble, you are severely hoping that they make it out alive. The true story of Marcus Luttrell's fight for his life with his fellow marines is one of the best war stories ever told. It is no way for young kids. It is not an action movie, it is strictly a drama. Each scene makes you worry for the characters' survival. By the ending, you'll find yourself either crying or applauding. Since it's a war movie, there is a lot of violence. A man is beheaded (off camera), many soldiers from both sides are shot. Also, there is a lot of swearing, but for a true story, you have to expect that. This is an amazing story that shows what war is really like and it will open the eyes of people who don't think that much of war.
Kid, 10 years old February 9, 2014

Great movie

This is a great movie. This is not the best choice for kids under thirteen but if your kids have seen saving private Ryan or we were soldiers and they are ten years old let them see it and they may see how hard these navy seals work to protect are country but also know this movie is so sad and made my parents cry as most parents would if they see this movie but still second best war movie. (first saving private Ryan.)
Teen, 13 years old Written bybpal24 October 5, 2014

Amazing Story

Honestly, the violence isn't as bad as rumor has it. It's one of the best movies I've even seen and anyone 13+ should be able to handle it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjgray232 April 24, 2014

powerful!!!

I read the book first and the book is outstanding. I love this movie it is a great true story and is very moving. There is swearing a good amount of it. The violence is pretty intense, but just a great movie. I also like how the real marcus luttrell is in the movie who is the author of the book and the seal that the movie is based off of.
Teen, 17 years old Written bywillman72 March 3, 2014

very sad very intense

the movie is a true story that can make your emotions take even the credits made me sad
Adult Written byjoshua martinez February 18, 2014

17 and up.

this drama movie lone survivor is a great drama movie based on a true story about our navy seals who goes on a mission in Afghanistan and goes horribly wrong stars with three actors Ben Foster, Mark Wahlberg, and Taylor Kitsch this movie is good enough for your older adults and parents you need to know that lone survivor has a lot of intense bloody war violence and constant strong language used.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovieexpert101 June 29, 2016

Truly inspiring

Lone survivor is an amazing movie. Brilliantly directed, and phenomenal acting. Accurate language for the film, yet still pretty intense expletives! Lots of f-words and sh*ts, but overall the movie is non sexual at all, and very, very good! Teens should be able to handle it, and it gives them a very accurate representation of war and conflict. Highly recommended!
Kid, 9 years old June 13, 2016

Brilliant and very entertaining true war story is very violent and mature but beautiful.

My rating:R for strong bloody war violence including disturbing images, pervasive language, and brief innuendo.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymedvenson April 12, 2016

Incredible movie

This movie tells an incredibly moving story about a true US navy seal mission that went wrong. The only content warnings would be the graphic violence and intense profanity. The movie is very intense, so expect to see lots of blood as well as blown of fingers and such. Also, the movie contains over 100 f-words as well as a handful of other profanities (mainly 3 or 4 uses of sh*t). However, this movie is incredibly moving if you /your child can handle intense and prolonged sequences of strong violence, as well as a torrent of f-words throughout, this story is inspiring and gripping. It will leave you with mixed emotions, you will feel sadness at the brave soldiers deaths, but you will also feel an intense pride in your country and a deep respect for our armed forces. God bless our Military Men.
Parent Written byCharlesMcK April 4, 2016

Extremely Brutal

Within the first 30 minutes there is a partially offscreen view of a young man being dragged to a tree trunk and beheaded by a Talib. There are chunks of neck and blood all over the screen during this section. During the rest of the movie, a SEAL's finger is blown off and anothers ear is blown off. Near the end, the main character messily pulls a piece of shrapnel from his lower leg. There is blood everywhere during gun battles and almost another beheading which is stopped by a villager. There are around 65 uses of f*ck, 20 sh*t and lots of other swear words. Jesus, damn and stuff like that is also there but thats not swearing. Overall its extremely gripping, but brutal
Teen, 15 years old Written bydkasal000 September 24, 2015
One of the best war movies and maybe my personal favorite a great movie but a little short and had less language than most war movies but still had language
Teen, 17 years old Written byMyles1 September 16, 2015

Amazing movie!!!

This movie is so good!!! The storyline is exceptional along with the acting. However, it is extremely violent, with close up kills, and no shortage of blood/gore. Language is ever present, with F*** and S*** being extremely common. This movie is only for mature viewers in my opinion but when kids come of age, everyone should see it!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byGkiller45 September 2, 2015

Amazing war drama

This movie is truly great but just very violent and has alot of swearing