All member reviews for Looper

Smart, exciting sci-fi tale has violence, sex, and drugs.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byFanner50 October 1, 2012

Some over-the-top violence. Hard to stomach.

Over the top violence: human dismemberment and the killing of toddler child. Interesting plot about time-travel and a dystopic future with good actors, but this violence was unneeded and disturbing. No one younger than 16. Wish I'd skipped it.
Adult Written bySynchronicity September 29, 2012

One of the best sci-fi films of all time, with a balance of action and substance. Older teens.

Not since Inception has there been a more engaging and thought-provoking science fiction film than Looper. This is only director Rian Johnson's third film after the indie film noir Brick and the criminally underrated The Brothers Bloom, but here he goes completely full circle in his capabilities. Looper is one of the smartest films not just of this decade, but of all time. However, it's not exactly a kiddie flick by any means, as it's also a violent, profane, sexual and drug-ridden crime thriller - but the fact that most of the bad is taken in a negative light offsets the impact, making it perfectly fine for older teens. The story starts out with Joe, a gun-for-hire called a looper who kills criminals dispatched from 30 years into the future. His life of crime has given him the opportunity to indulge in selfish pleasures such as sex, drugs and money. All loopers, however, must kill their future selves to "close the loop," and Joe's older self escapes. Joe then learns that his older self is trying to kill one of three children who could possibly be a crime lord in the future. While he waits for the older Joe, the younger Joe finds a family farm with one of the three kids, and ends up with the joint duty of protecting the family and killing his future self. The plot is intriguing in its own right, with plenty of twists and moral quandaries that keep things going, and since this is a Rian Johnson film, the script is witty and highly original. Also, the visual effects are well above the quality one would expect with a $30 million budget, with cool depictions of this new world's genetic mutation that involves telekinetic powers. In almost every respect, this film is actually slightly better than Inception - a film that had over five times Looper's budget, but was a less risky gamble due to the well-known Christopher Nolan directing it. But before The Dark Knight trilogy, before Inception, even before Insomnia, Nolan did a little film called Memento. Looper is basically Rian Johnson's Memento, a film that will go down in the history books and make this underrated director a household name. In other words, Looper is a wonderful film, but it's not really for anyone under 15. The violence is bloody at times, as this is a crime thriller about a gun for hire. Johnson's debut Brick unfairly got an R rating for a brief but bloody point-blank headshot seen from a distance. Looper has about two dozen similar scenes, with some more violence of its own. With the realization that any injuries inflicted on younger loopers are done so on their older selves who have time traveled to the present, we see an older version of a looper gradually lose his limbs and parts of his face, and we subsequently see the bloody operating table where the younger looper was basically eviscerated (the body is covered, however). Someone shoots another with a gun full of rock salt. One character has outbursts with his telekinetic powers that can be quite scary, and in one scene, he splits a bad guy in half; a slo-mo cloud of blood sprays out of his chest, and the character who killed him is next seen covered in blood. A man has his fingers crushed by a trap door and is shot in the ear, and someone later bangs a hammer onto the former wound. A man kills a child (offscreen), but feels horrible about it. Sex is also pretty rampant, as the club Joe does business at is full of prostitutes. There are two topless women in one scene, and there are two scenes of a suggestive nature. The first actually turns out to not be sexually related, but the second involves brief, clothed and nongraphic sex. Language is raw: there are about 30 f-bombs (2 paired with "mother" and 4 paired with Jesus' name), 20 s-words and the occasional milder word or two. Joe is addicted to a drug applied through the eyes and has withdrawal symptoms, and brief shots of syringes imply that, in his future life, he went on to do similar. There's also smoking and drinking, but that comes with the territory. Overall, though, older teens can do far, far worse than Looper. It's a smart and sexy futuristic crime thriller that will be remembered for generations to come.
Kid, 12 years old September 30, 2012

Spectacular movie, for those who can handle it.

Let me start out this review by saying that whatever I write following this, I absolutely think this movie is outstanding, both as an entry in science fiction and in art movies. The movie is phenomenal, however, that doesn't necessarily mean bring your eight year old, because it's "one of those Oscar movies". What I'm trying to say is, this movie's violence and sexual content correspond with the age that kids understand this at. Personally, I can handle violence, gore, and understand complex meanings (more than others my age may be able to). So, if your kid is nine but can handle violence, that doesn't mean he'll like the movie. The movie is mature both in it's ideas and the sex/violence. Quite frankly, many of the characters are sick, twisted, or outright horrible people. Most of the time characters have reasons for their violent/disturbing actions, but those reasons aren't very good reasons. The main character is the most selfish of them all until the end, and especially in future self form (Bruce Willis form), engages in bloody, hatred filled battle. Final Verdict: While this movie is fabulous, it's dark tone and dark characters aren't great for young children, not to mention the violence and nudity.
Parent Written bySimon S.G. March 2, 2013

Looper

The drugs are shown as being bad and the violence is not too extreme except in a few scenes and is never glorified. There is a lot of bad language but not much more than most teens experience anyhow (at least in my experience). It has a quite complex storyline but I believe that with some help most teens should get it. It is a great movie and definitely worth watching!
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe darkest stuff September 30, 2012

Looper

I just saw Looper and it was very good almost as good as The Dark Knight Rises. This probably the second best well made film of 2012. None of your kids should see this with you unless if thier at least 14 or 15. In the begining its just a shoot em up time travel movie with nutidy blood and drugs but then the plot kicks in and gets better. This movie is filled with shooting and blood, and stylised telekinesis scenes. Theres some nutidy and a little bit of drug use. This movie was very well written and has posative messages about your life family and sticking for people and doing what best in the future.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytrombone1997 September 30, 2012

Very good Sci-Fi flick...but pay attention.

I saw Looper and immediately in the beginning of the movie, someone gets shot. I was actually shocked at the amount of violence in the movie. The sex wasn't a big issue, but some scenes showed topless women; one in particular was topless for a few minutes. The main character takes eye-drop drugs and seems to go through a withdrawal later in the movie. Overall, Looper was a very well-written and very well-directed movie and it deserves two thumbs up! The only disappointment is that Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt don't look remotely alike even with makeup; and that the beginning moves very fast, so PAY ATTENTION!!! But it was a good movie with exceptional performances from the entire cast. I could possibly see this movie at Oscar season for Best Original Screenplay.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew December 29, 2014

Thrilling ride with guns,sex and drugs

My rating:R for violence,language,drug use,sexuality/nudity and gunshots
Teen, 17 years old Written byAmara Young June 15, 2014

joseph gordon-levitt is the reason i watched this

Honestly, this is NOT that bad of a movie. Whenever I read a movie review, I really only focus on the sex, seeing as though that's all I should worry about. Language? Who gives a damn. Violence? I'll just close my eyes. But sex is different, and in looper, it's honestly not that bad. There's a stripper/club scene but it doesn't show anything, and later Jo, the main character, is shown having sex with a stripper, but if you just fast forward a minute or two, you're fine. Looper isn't game of thrones, and won't reveal any major plot points during this scene, other than the fact that he's horny and lonely. Though suicide is shown, it's not for bad reasons. There's A LOT of confusion relating to time travel and sequencing of events and 'the loop' but other than that this is honestly one of my favorite movies.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMr Blonde January 28, 2014

Teen, 13 years old Written byNitro_Python September 4, 2013

Very Good Movie.

Looper is one of my favourite films, that's how good it is. It does have violence though which involves sometimes over the top amounts of blood being splattered on to walls, the language is strong but infrequent and there is one scene where a woman walks around topless, apart from all that it's fine.
Teen, 13 years old Written byI am a completionst August 9, 2013

Smart, Violent, and amazing.

My rating: R for bloody violence, sexual content, semi-brief nudity, strong language, and brief drug use. Wow, This movie surprised me. It was actually good. It had a smart script, great acting,especially from the main kid, and was not just another dumb time travel movie. Definitely a must buy.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 5, 2013

A sci-fi mind bender classic

I'd heard nothing but positive things about "Looper," and I love when movies live up to the hype. Its got a complex but not indecipherable plot line that's thoroughly original, two great leads from Willis and Levitt, the latter who's proved to be a bonafide sci-fi staple, and a surprise ending even I didn't see coming. Believe all the buzz surrounding it; one of the best recent science fiction films around!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTip yap July 17, 2013

Good

A great futuristic time travel film A-/B+ performances actually a kid actor that doesn't annoy the hell out of you entertaining but some sex language drugs violence and very intense younger teens down if showed for sure with adults
Kid, 10 years old June 11, 2013

BEST SCIENCE FICTION FILM EVER

The best science fiction film ever made. Joesph Gordon Levitt is amazing in the role. All the parents are saying this is not suitable for kids. Its fine for 12 and up some nudity, parts of violence and some strong language. If kids want too see it let them. A masterpiece.
Teen, 13 years old Written byemcfa3000 May 27, 2013

Good

Good film. Good story. There was one part near the beginning my mum found gross or something I found it fine, it's a good way of showing whats going on without the gore. Small kids may find it confusing, but don't show it to small kids.
Kid, 11 years old May 11, 2013

GOOD FILM DISTURBING ACTION1

This movie was a really really good sci fi movie it has lots of shoot em up action by bruce willis he shoots so many people that afterwards his face is red with other peoples blood!!! It also has a women with no top and some breif sex scences the main charector also takes drugs throught his eye this causes him to almost run over someone. The movie also has some very disturbing scences such as a little kid,about 3 years of age, who has telekenisis blow up adults with lots of blood and gore as well as a man who kills a 4 year old kid and maybe the mother to. This movie is good for 15 and up who can take disturbing things, im 11 and ive seen worst than this but i can take horror gore and disturing images and stuff like that so not any old 11 year old can watch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 April 14, 2013

Looper is mindblowing

Looper is thought provoking and much more. How everything is done is amazing. It is a great story, amazingly acted, and very dark. It is very violent but anyone that is 14 can handle it.
Parent of a 1 year old Written byMbenz1962 March 23, 2013

Violent Sci-Fi

Pretty violent, though not gory. Several scenes featuring sexual situations including a scantily clad call girl.
Teen, 17 years old Written byThe real thing March 16, 2013

Great, I really liked it

Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. March 8, 2013

Clever film mixes time travel with gangster violence.

Very clever plot is able to set itself apart from other sci-fi action films for a few reasons. The movies concept of time travel only sets up the story, where as Inception's "dream" plot revolved around the whole story. This movie is able to slow down every once in a while and explore many different kinds of themes, like regret and redemption, love and loss, and the way that it does it is so engaging and doesn't trip over it's own complexity, you just have to pay attention. However this smart film does have some bloodshed. Plenty of gun violence. Most characters are shot, and many die. Noticeable amounts of blood that briefly spatters on walls. There's a offscreen killing of child thats upsetting and sad. And a man is punished via time travel, as parts of his body begin to disappear, first his fingers, ending with him being a limbless and nose less corpse. There is also some occasional profanity,about 29 F words, and brief uses of other strong lanuguage. As well as some off screen sex scenes, and some brief nudity. But this movie is the only movie to ever make my jaw drop, and yes I have seen just about every Alfred Hitchcock film. So that should say something about how great his intelligent sci-fi thriller is. Despite some minor issues, this is by far the best sci-fi since the original terminator.