Smart, exciting sci-fi tale has violence, sex, and drugs.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byFanner50 October 1, 2012

Some over-the-top violence. Hard to stomach.

Over the top violence: human dismemberment and the killing of toddler child. Interesting plot about time-travel and a dystopic future with good actors, but this violence was unneeded and disturbing. No one younger than 16. Wish I'd skipped it.
Kid, 12 years old September 30, 2012

Spectacular movie, for those who can handle it.

Let me start out this review by saying that whatever I write following this, I absolutely think this movie is outstanding, both as an entry in science fiction and in art movies. The movie is phenomenal, however, that doesn't necessarily mean bring your eight year old, because it's "one of those Oscar movies". What I'm trying to say is, this movie's violence and sexual content correspond with the age that kids understand this at. Personally, I can handle violence, gore, and understand complex meanings (more than others my age may be able to). So, if your kid is nine but can handle violence, that doesn't mean he'll like the movie. The movie is mature both in it's ideas and the sex/violence. Quite frankly, many of the characters are sick, twisted, or outright horrible people. Most of the time characters have reasons for their violent/disturbing actions, but those reasons aren't very good reasons. The main character is the most selfish of them all until the end, and especially in future self form (Bruce Willis form), engages in bloody, hatred filled battle. Final Verdict: While this movie is fabulous, it's dark tone and dark characters aren't great for young children, not to mention the violence and nudity.
Adult Written bySynchronicity September 29, 2012

One of the best sci-fi films of all time, with a balance of action and substance. Older teens.

Not since Inception has there been a more engaging and thought-provoking science fiction film than Looper. This is only director Rian Johnson's third film after the indie film noir Brick and the criminally underrated The Brothers Bloom, but here he goes completely full circle in his capabilities. Looper is one of the smartest films not just of this decade, but of all time. However, it's not exactly a kiddie flick by any means, as it's also a violent, profane, sexual and drug-ridden crime thriller - but the fact that most of the bad is taken in a negative light offsets the impact, making it perfectly fine for older teens. The story starts out with Joe, a gun-for-hire called a looper who kills criminals dispatched from 30 years into the future. His life of crime has given him the opportunity to indulge in selfish pleasures such as sex, drugs and money. All loopers, however, must kill their future selves to "close the loop," and Joe's older self escapes. Joe then learns that his older self is trying to kill one of three children who could possibly be a crime lord in the future. While he waits for the older Joe, the younger Joe finds a family farm with one of the three kids, and ends up with the joint duty of protecting the family and killing his future self. The plot is intriguing in its own right, with plenty of twists and moral quandaries that keep things going, and since this is a Rian Johnson film, the script is witty and highly original. Also, the visual effects are well above the quality one would expect with a $30 million budget, with cool depictions of this new world's genetic mutation that involves telekinetic powers. In almost every respect, this film is actually slightly better than Inception - a film that had over five times Looper's budget, but was a less risky gamble due to the well-known Christopher Nolan directing it. But before The Dark Knight trilogy, before Inception, even before Insomnia, Nolan did a little film called Memento. Looper is basically Rian Johnson's Memento, a film that will go down in the history books and make this underrated director a household name. In other words, Looper is a wonderful film, but it's not really for anyone under 15. The violence is bloody at times, as this is a crime thriller about a gun for hire. Johnson's debut Brick unfairly got an R rating for a brief but bloody point-blank headshot seen from a distance. Looper has about two dozen similar scenes, with some more violence of its own. With the realization that any injuries inflicted on younger loopers are done so on their older selves who have time traveled to the present, we see an older version of a looper gradually lose his limbs and parts of his face, and we subsequently see the bloody operating table where the younger looper was basically eviscerated (the body is covered, however). Someone shoots another with a gun full of rock salt. One character has outbursts with his telekinetic powers that can be quite scary, and in one scene, he splits a bad guy in half; a slo-mo cloud of blood sprays out of his chest, and the character who killed him is next seen covered in blood. A man has his fingers crushed by a trap door and is shot in the ear, and someone later bangs a hammer onto the former wound. A man kills a child (offscreen), but feels horrible about it. Sex is also pretty rampant, as the club Joe does business at is full of prostitutes. There are two topless women in one scene, and there are two scenes of a suggestive nature. The first actually turns out to not be sexually related, but the second involves brief, clothed and nongraphic sex. Language is raw: there are about 30 f-bombs (2 paired with "mother" and 4 paired with Jesus' name), 20 s-words and the occasional milder word or two. Joe is addicted to a drug applied through the eyes and has withdrawal symptoms, and brief shots of syringes imply that, in his future life, he went on to do similar. There's also smoking and drinking, but that comes with the territory. Overall, though, older teens can do far, far worse than Looper. It's a smart and sexy futuristic crime thriller that will be remembered for generations to come.
Parent Written bySimon S.G. March 2, 2013

Looper

The drugs are shown as being bad and the violence is not too extreme except in a few scenes and is never glorified. There is a lot of bad language but not much more than most teens experience anyhow (at least in my experience). It has a quite complex storyline but I believe that with some help most teens should get it. It is a great movie and definitely worth watching!
Teen, 17 years old Written byOGORMAN February 4, 2013

Looper is an insane ride with twists you won't expect.

Joe is a Looper, which means he kills criminals who are sent back in time, but when his future self is sent back, his whole life changes. As the review says: there is plenty of violence and almost everyone has a gun. Many people are seen being shot (which causes both injury and death). Joe kills people time after time simply for the sake of money. Though the blood you see when people are shot is a little overdramatic at times, it is still definitely enough to frighten younger children. *SPOILER* The Older Joe does kill a child, but he does have a reason, no matter how self gratifying it may seem. *END OF SPOILER* The only violence that really creeped me out was in the beginning when a man is being tortured through the use of time travel (his body parts begin to disappear and it is quite frightening if you're not prepared, like I wasn't). The child who has supernatural temper tantrums was the other thing that creeped me out. After the first one, every little thing he did made me even more scared of him. His intelligence just added to the creepiness factor. Sex does not have a big role in this movie. Early on, a woman (the showgirl who doubles as a prostitute) is seen topless, with her breasts in plain view, as she walks across a room towards the main character in a bed. It is implied that they have had sex but you don't see any of it. Later on in the movie it is implied yet again that the main character has sex with another women, but all that is seen leading up to it is them kissing and that is all. Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is seen shirtless a couple of times, but it is not an issue. The language was coarse, rough, and at many times, unnecessary. For more than half of the movie I felt like they just inserted f--k because they didn't have anything else to say. There was also plenty of uses of d--n, a--, and other less tasteful words. Joe does a drug that is in the form of an eye drop, and at one point in the movie he appears to be going through a very painful withdrawal from not having had it in over a day. While Sara is trying to be a strong role model for her son, she still has her issues so I would not let kids look up to her too much. By the way, who cares if Joseph Gordon-Levitt doesn't look all that much like Bruce Willis? If everyone is going to complain about it so much, then I'd like to see you try and do better! Looper is definitely a film that I will watch again.
Parent Written byRun boy run. November 2, 2012

Great, but intense and violent time travel movie.

Parent Written byDLZ October 12, 2012
LEARNING

Disturbingly violent film

This film features relentless, disturbing, graphic and gratuitous violence. I'm basing that on the portion I saw before I walked out. I'm still disturbed by some of what I saw and I'm disturbed that this aspect of the film is barely mentioned in any of the glowing reviews.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe darkest stuff September 30, 2012

Looper

I just saw Looper and it was very good almost as good as The Dark Knight Rises. This probably the second best well made film of 2012. None of your kids should see this with you unless if thier at least 14 or 15. In the begining its just a shoot em up time travel movie with nutidy blood and drugs but then the plot kicks in and gets better. This movie is filled with shooting and blood, and stylised telekinesis scenes. Theres some nutidy and a little bit of drug use. This movie was very well written and has posative messages about your life family and sticking for people and doing what best in the future.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytrombone1997 September 30, 2012

Very good Sci-Fi flick...but pay attention.

I saw Looper and immediately in the beginning of the movie, someone gets shot. I was actually shocked at the amount of violence in the movie. The sex wasn't a big issue, but some scenes showed topless women; one in particular was topless for a few minutes. The main character takes eye-drop drugs and seems to go through a withdrawal later in the movie. Overall, Looper was a very well-written and very well-directed movie and it deserves two thumbs up! The only disappointment is that Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt don't look remotely alike even with makeup; and that the beginning moves very fast, so PAY ATTENTION!!! But it was a good movie with exceptional performances from the entire cast. I could possibly see this movie at Oscar season for Best Original Screenplay.
Teen, 17 years old Written byawesome175 July 14, 2016

interesting but thought provoking futuristic crime thriller

I thoroughly enjoyed this film from start to finish. The plot was brilliant the acting was great and the actors were great as I have seen the same actors act in other films that are brilliant. Although the film is great I found it slightly confusing as the story line was a little bit unrealistic as people can't time travel to the future like they did in this movie. Even if they could time travel to kill their future selves the time they spend travelling into the future would be wasted by many good years of good quality life. Overall I thought this film was great. It is definitely worth watching for those who like action packed fight scenes and great special effects.
Teen, 17 years old Written byNeelJ10 July 11, 2016

Smart futuristic sci-fi action thriller has mature themes

Looper is one of the best sci-fi films of recent times. Given that it is an action film, it has plenty of guns. Characters are shot, with ample amount of blood shown. Sex is not that big an issue but it has two scenes of brief topless women and a suggested sex scene, with only kissing shown. Characters swear frequently with around 30 uses of the f-word and some mild profanities. The main character is shown taking drugs sometimes.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlizzardTail July 11, 2016

Creative thought-provoking plot

I really enjoyed this film. I found the plot to be quite different and allthough slightly confusing at first, everything was explained in way that I could follow. I found this to be much better as it meant that I did not get bored from a lack of understanding as I did with Inception. ( will definitely give that one a second chance though). I personally was not put off by the amount of violence in this film. I believe that violence can actually be a media in which the director can express further their thoughts and opinions in a film. I do enjoy a good plotless shoot em up every now and then, although Looper was definitely not that. The Idea of killing 3 children in order for a major criminal to never be born is not something that I really like the idea of however I could see where it fitted in with the plot and I dont think the director would have added it " Just because". The " sex scenes" were nothing really to explicit. It is completely up to the viewer to decide if they wanted to watch that though. Really these kinds of scenes are just a bit of a plot filler to me so I don't really care about them or have anything against it. In terms of the age rating I have picked. I have only put that purely out of the fact that that is the age I was when I watched this film. It is your opinion as to whether you want to watch this film or not. I find it to be a great film and would certainly reccomend it. However it is not something I would want to watch with my younger siblings or people who are easily distressed by violence and the idea of killing children.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySpencer15 September 9, 2015

Think

This is a fantastic futuristic film with great acting and an outstanding plot, Bruce Willis is at his best although this is not better than Die Hard, the movie is still amazing not to bloody but still has quite a bit of language. There are a few bloody scenes but the violence is not that bad.
Adult Written bysarge123 August 5, 2015

Smart and ambitious, but contains some questionable material. 15+

Written byAnonymous December 29, 2014

Thrilling ride with guns,sex and drugs

My rating:R for violence,language,drug use,sexuality/nudity and gunshots
Teen, 17 years old Written byAmara Young June 15, 2014

joseph gordon-levitt is the reason i watched this

Honestly, this is NOT that bad of a movie. Whenever I read a movie review, I really only focus on the sex, seeing as though that's all I should worry about. Language? Who gives a damn. Violence? I'll just close my eyes. But sex is different, and in looper, it's honestly not that bad. There's a stripper/club scene but it doesn't show anything, and later Jo, the main character, is shown having sex with a stripper, but if you just fast forward a minute or two, you're fine. Looper isn't game of thrones, and won't reveal any major plot points during this scene, other than the fact that he's horny and lonely. Though suicide is shown, it's not for bad reasons. There's A LOT of confusion relating to time travel and sequencing of events and 'the loop' but other than that this is honestly one of my favorite movies.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMr Blonde January 28, 2014
Teen, 13 years old Written byNitro_Python September 4, 2013

Very Good Movie.

Looper is one of my favourite films, that's how good it is. It does have violence though which involves sometimes over the top amounts of blood being splattered on to walls, the language is strong but infrequent and there is one scene where a woman walks around topless, apart from all that it's fine.
Teen, 13 years old Written byI am a completionst August 9, 2013

Smart, Violent, and amazing.

My rating: R for bloody violence, sexual content, semi-brief nudity, strong language, and brief drug use. Wow, This movie surprised me. It was actually good. It had a smart script, great acting,especially from the main kid, and was not just another dumb time travel movie. Definitely a must buy.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 5, 2013

A sci-fi mind bender classic

I'd heard nothing but positive things about "Looper," and I love when movies live up to the hype. Its got a complex but not indecipherable plot line that's thoroughly original, two great leads from Willis and Levitt, the latter who's proved to be a bonafide sci-fi staple, and a surprise ending even I didn't see coming. Believe all the buzz surrounding it; one of the best recent science fiction films around!