All member reviews for Love and Basketball

Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 31, 2014

The rare sports movie from an African AMerican girl's point of view

Just watched "Love and Basketball" with my 13 year old and it's a new favorite, both for taking the viewpoint of a smart, strong, but conflicted young woman, and for presenting a non-stereotyped relationship between two young African Americans, (both from well-off, intact families, with loving parents and siblings; both college educated). Monica and Quincy meet as 11 year olds when her family moves next door to his, and she promptly beats him in a basketball game. They grow into highly competitive players with an affectionate brother/sister relationship; one of the most touching scenes is Monica wordlessly letting Quincy climb into her room to sleep when his parents are having an argument. Both are recruited to play college ball at UCS and they become lovers (in a very passionate, yet chastely filmed scene).The contrast between how men's vs women's sports are treated is made very clear: Quincy is constantly surrounded by adoring fans and weaselly recruiters; Monica feels unjustly punished for an aggressive "attitude" that would be celebrated in a man but makes her seem "unladylike". The night before Monica's key game, she refuses to break curfew for Quincy, fearing she might get cut from the team. Quincy, going through a crisis with his father, declares her to be "unsupportive", and breaks up with her. They eventually reunite years later, and in the final scene it is Monica on the court with the WNBA while her adoring husband and baby daughter cheer her on from the sidelines. So, awesome sports movie primarily from the woman's point of view, and where her ambition is the one realized. Also, a terrific mother/daughter film: Monica feels constantly criticized by her traditionally feminine mother, who seems to prefer her more "girly" sister. Mother and daughter have it out late in the film: the mother (played by the wonderful Alfre Woodard) resents Monica's condescension towards her as a housewife, and Monica is hurt that her mother never cared about her talent for sports. The film doesn't take sides, but empathizes with both women. A few concerns: there is a lot of raw language, and the teen girls at M and Q's school dress very seductively and do a lot of dirty dancing, (Monica does not, which is one of the reasons we like her). No violence, no drugs, minimal drinking. Monica and Quincy have sex, but there is no promiscuous, gratuitous sex, and it's clear the two of them love each other. Great for 13 and up.
Parent Written byrichyy December 22, 2011

Richyy !

I Think Love & Basketball is a great movie for young couples that are in love. It show’s how a young couple fall in love in high school. I love the whole film and there were no boring parts...even when I watch it every night. There is just enough of both Love and Basketball scene. Now, their commitment to the sport will force them to make a choice between each other and the game, between family, and between Love and Basketball. Love and Basketball is a complex acclaimed movie about discovering your dreams, taking your best shot and making them come true.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMya12345678 March 7, 2011

Parent of a 17 year old Written byjenna1234 January 21, 2010

i love this moive,,
Teen, 16 years old Written byanjuska007 December 19, 2009

Teen, 16 years old Written byQueenjam1329 October 17, 2009

Perfect for ages 10 and up.

I absolutely love love and Basketball. It's my favorite movie. This review just wants to pick at a movie that is amazing and has no fault.
Teen, 14 years old Written byladii_boo_4u April 9, 2008

i cried

dont have more
Teen, 16 years old Written bysemen13 April 9, 2008

All about basketball

Love and Basketball is about how Monica(Sanaa Lathan) and Quincy (Omar Epps) taught each other how to play the game. Now, their commitment to the sport will force them to make a choice between each other and the game, between family,and between Love and Basketball.Love and Basketball is a complex acclaimed movie about discovering your dreams, taking your best shot and making them come true.
Adult Written byyll April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written bylove&bball April 9, 2008

Love it!!

I thought love and basketball was a well done movie.I love the whole film and there were no boring parts...even when I watch it every night!! There is just enough of both Love and the Basketball scene!!
Adult Written bykinglil15 April 9, 2008