Pulpy, violent sci-fi actioner is entertaining, thoughtful.

Parent Written byWorriedMom411 July 28, 2014

It's not inappropriate sex

Well, there are some sex scenes, but they are not meant to be sexual. These scenes are just showing evolution. So even though it says on here there is sex, it's not inappropriate for any child below the age of 12. As long, of course, they know what sex is beforehand.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byGoodParent1 July 25, 2014

Great R movie

Great movie , thought provoking. How can your site recommend it for age 16 , when it is rated R?? R ratings mean 18+.
Adult Written byjunebug88 July 25, 2014
Um. You should maybe think about doing some editing on the sentence "There are some quick documentary-like flashback scenes of sex between animals and humans." Pretty sure I would have noticed if what that sentence implies had actually happened.
Educator and Parent Written byAnam Cara March 7, 2015

Cool idea, undeveloped story

I am in my mid forties and watched this movie with my fairly mature 12 year old son. My son was captivated by its images and ideas; he closed his eyes during the surgical parts and during a flashback scene when a professor-lecturer (Morgan Freeman) recounts that memory/legacy is carried on through reproduction. In this case, it is the sort of reproduction that one might see at a zoo - only in this case, it is several consecutive scenes all at once. Not offensive per se, but the kind of thing that would cause a 12 year old to look away and say, "gross". The movie succeeds on the idea of: "is there a way to tap the unused potential of the human brain? If so, what would that look like?" That's a mighty cool question and could lead to quite a story line. Regrettably, the screenwriters did not find a way to tap into that idea through the discovery of some ancient hidden formula, an undiscovered plant or place, something from space, or even something from science. Instead of letting us uncover an imaginative mystery like that as participants, the writers decided they needed to make us observers of drug trafficking and human mules. And now because drugs and smuggling and profiteering are the subtext for the discovery of the portal that opens human brain capacity, the subsequent violence, control, and manipulation that surrounds the drug trade "fits". Sadly, the narrative of drug smuggling (and all that comes with it) in many ways overcomes the narrative we really care about: what does untapped human potential really look like? Intriguingly, one of the talking points that parents and parents (as well as parents and kids) ought to have after seeing this movie relates to what happens to the main character: The more knowledge she has, the less she feels - and feels human. Her newfound and heightened awareness helps her to sense everything, but the more input she knows, the less capacity she has for empathy. As she notices this in herself, she ALMOST grieves its loss; but she has lost that capacity with the heightened data awareness she has. Perhaps this is why every parent and teen OUGHT to see it in order to have the conversation: The more information one has, the less human one may become. The more one is tuned to stimulus and input, the less able one may be to empathize. Connection(s) is different than relationships. This movie gives some effective talking points for these kinds of conversations.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez August 4, 2014

16 and up.

lucy is a disappointing movie with a disappointing ending stars with Scarlett Johansson this action/adventure is only for older teens and parents you need to know that lucy has intense violence and sex scenes between animals and two human beings having sex in the car shown there's also some mild language used and some drinking and drugs seen
Kid, 11 years old August 9, 2014

Great but be wary

It is a great movie to watch but don't bring kids who don't know about drugs,sex and graphic violence. I believe that the story is great and it teaches about cerebral capacity and evolution only bring kids who are mature
Kid, 11 years old January 24, 2015

A amazing movie

I think this movie really good! I liked the violence and the action in the movie. But it wasn't a to good ending.
Kid, 12 years old November 8, 2014

Not appropriate for Kids under 13

This summer I was dragged by my sister and her friend to watch this movie. Personally I am not a fan of bloody/scary movies. I preferred to watch Planes (which was on at the time). The movie's story was really interesting but there was a lot of bloody scenes, swearing, violence, and drug use. In my opinion, Lucy is 3 out of 5 only because I'm not a fan of blood. If you or your child are OK with bloody scenes, this movie wouldn't be half bad for you as it was for me.
Teen, 16 years old Written byfrench.cats February 20, 2015

great!

Very enjoyable, despite its scientific inaccuracy! If you can close your mind off to that, it is a film with a beautiful message- live life to the fullest. Fair warning: do NOT watch this if you are squeamish and/or do not like violence.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCWG1 July 28, 2014

actually this movie was really good

Alright, I had no real expectations going into this movie, but to my joy it was actually really good. Now there is only one thing that surprises me about this movie... Why is it R? There were no F words, little to hardly any sex, and the only thing that comes to mind is the violence which even then I think wasn't to bad at all. It had it's bloody moments, but let me say that I have seen worse come out of PG-13 rated movies. I would say 11 and up, or mature 10.
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2014

Better than I expected and less bloody than I expected.

I think that Lucy was a solid, interesting action movie with a good plot, a steady story line, and really cool special effects. They say sexual content in the Mpaa rating but it's not intense at all. There are a couple sexual parts but you know, if you don't like it, just close your eyes and watch the other parts. There are almost no bad words. There is a lot of violence throughout the film but not overly bloody despite some gross wounds. Recommended for 11&up. My MPAA rating PG-13 for Violence, some bloody images, and brief sexual content.
Parent Written bybanana12345 September 6, 2014

AMAZING

I took my son who is going into sixth grade and it blew my mind how good it was! I think this is an appropriate movie for my child and he loved it. I think it is a great choice for a son who loves action and adventure.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycleanestkidyoullknow July 31, 2014

REALLY MPAA? REALLY

Although there is sex, it dosen't last more than 5 seconds, if even. Violence is PG-13-type violence, and profanity is unnoticable (zero - I mean ZERO f-bombs, a few uses of "a--" and probably just 1 or 2 "s--t"s). Thye only reason that comes to mind about why the MPAA rated this R is because of substance use and/or theamatic elements. There is a movie called "Limitless" that is practically the same, but more sex, profanity, and just a tad less blood, but THAT'S PG-13. I am NOT lying. this movie also has REALLY good messages, but I don't wanna spoil anything for you!
Teen, 17 years old Written byIlovemovies❤️❤️❤️ July 27, 2014

Should Lucy be rated R???

In my opinion, Lucy should not have been rated R. It specifically said that their was "sexuality" now to me, I think the people that rated Lucy over exaggerated. Even though there were no serious sex scenes there was parts about animals having sex and a couple having sex in a car that lasted less than 5 seconds and was really dark. Other than that, violence is low key and there was not one F word.
Parent Written by710studio January 22, 2015

Junk Science Subtracts From the Enjoyment

I could not sit through this movie without squirming through its junk science and cannot recommend this movie because of it. The premise of the movie revolves around the myth that we use only 10% of our brain. That, of course, is not true. If somebody gets shot in the head, you never hear the doctor say, "The good news is that he was hit in the 90% of his brain that he isn't using." As such, the very idea that one could bend time, space, and reality by awakening some dormant chunk of brain matter is just embarrassingly ridiculous. If you are like me and enjoy movies that play off the suspension of disbelief, then this movie just doesn't cut it. The very premise of the movie is so removed from how things actually work that suspension of disbelief becomes impossible. No amount of cool effects can safe this one.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZayummmBae99 August 6, 2014

Hm

Morgan Freeman was excellent in this movie. He gave some brilliant points about the 'bigger' questions on earth, such as, how the human brain works and how it compares to other animals. It really makes you think about something greater that governs the universe. If you don't mind the gory operations (which is a natural part of life so I wouldn't worry about that) then you should be okay. Watch out for the gun scenes but as gun scenes come and go, they're really just a bit of a blur and you come out of the movie thinking more about the laws of the universe than the guns so that's not a worry. But I must say limitless is quite similar and far better. It gives a much more creative and visual experience to how drugs affect the brain so I would recommend that rather than Lucy as limitless seems much brighter whereas Lucy is quite a dark and depressing movie suited for older audiences.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymusicmaniac August 24, 2014

Good Messages

This movie gets you really think about about mankind. Not about evolution, but what we can do. For the good of ourselves and others. Like what Lucy said ignorance leads to chaos, if we overcome it, we may learn more things.
Parent Written byMsMovie August 2, 2014

Violence towards women

Why would you want your young boys or girls to see a lead female character terrified, vomit because she's so terrified, crying because she's so terrified, kicked, slapped, drugged by force, handcuffed by force, have her belly stuffed with drugs, almost raped twice? Why oh why is this okay to any parent?
Kid, 10 years old July 30, 2014

awesome

This is a great movie. If you have kids ages 10-11and they really want to see this let them. Even though it is rated R I think it should be rated PG-13 because there is very little swearing a little sexual content and the violence isn't over the top. Kids can also learn about evolution and other educational topics in the movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byStevie111 July 25, 2014

Ehh

This isn't really an "Action Movie". It isn't much above a PG-13 and is nowhere near as violent as Hercules, which also came out today. There is some sexual activity, mostly between animals. Very infrequent mild swearing. Weird. It is Weird and a bit too over the top sci-fi. Fine for teens