Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Lucy

Pulpy, violent sci-fi actioner is entertaining, thoughtful.

Adult Written bybanana12345 September 6, 2014

AMAZING

I took my son who is going into sixth grade and it blew my mind how good it was! I think this is an appropriate movie for my child and he loved it. I think it is a great choice for a son who loves action and adventure.

Adult Written byMsMovie August 2, 2014

Violence towards women

Why would you want your young boys or girls to see a lead female character terrified, vomit because she's so terrified, crying because she's so terrified, kicked, slapped, drugged by force, handcuffed by force, have her belly stuffed with drugs, almost raped twice? Why oh why is this okay to any parent?

Adult Written by710studio January 22, 2015

Junk Science Subtracts From the Enjoyment

I could not sit through this movie without squirming through its junk science and cannot recommend this movie because of it. The premise of the movie revolves around the myth that we use only 10% of our brain. That, of course, is not true. If somebody gets shot in the head, you never hear the doctor say, "The good news is that he was hit in the 90% of his brain that he isn't using." As such, the very idea that one could bend time, space, and reality by awakening some dormant chunk of brain matter is just embarrassingly ridiculous. If you are like me and enjoy movies that play off the suspension of disbelief, then this movie just doesn't cut it. The very premise of the movie is so removed from how things actually work that suspension of disbelief becomes impossible. No amount of cool effects can safe this one.
Parent Written byNancy W. December 9, 2017

It is unintelligent to rate this film 17+

It is quite foolish of this website to rate this exquisite film 17+. I have six children (ages: 17, 15, 12, 10, 8, 4, 1) i let all of them watch this film (NOT BEFORE WATCHING IT MYSELF, I ALWAYS WATCH IT BEFORE I LET MY CHILDREN WATCH IT BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT KIND OF SCANDALOUS CONTENT THERE WILL BE) and they all quite enjoyed it, i HIGHLY suggest this film for all ages. it is ABSURD to rate it anything other than 2+! thank you all for reading my review! I hope you all have a wonderful day! Dearest regards from your responsible yet radical freind: responsibleparent123

Adult Written byAmmanulla R. May 1, 2017
Adult Written byjoshua martinez August 4, 2014

16 and up.

lucy is a disappointing movie with a disappointing ending stars with Scarlett Johansson this action/adventure is only for older teens and parents you need to know that lucy has intense violence and sex scenes between animals and two human beings having sex in the car shown there's also some mild language used and some drinking and drugs seen

Adult Written bycjlewis97 January 1, 2019
Adult Written byerind4 September 22, 2017

Unimaginative, excellent cast wasted

Overworked idea- the ridiculous old fashioned notion that we "only use 10% of our brains" that we've seen several times (Limitless, Dead Zone, Transcendence, Phenomenon) glossed with sex, and rhinestoned with pseudoscience. I'm especially dismayed by those who don't remember any sex scenes- there's a detailed scene where the main character is tied to a chair and spreads her legs to tempt the guard closer to rape her so she can kill him graphically. It's a very tense and unsettling scene.

Adult Written byprabuchiyan June 20, 2015

Parent Written byAnam Cara March 7, 2015

Cool idea, undeveloped story

I am in my mid forties and watched this movie with my fairly mature 12 year old son. My son was captivated by its images and ideas; he closed his eyes during the surgical parts and during a flashback scene when a professor-lecturer (Morgan Freeman) recounts that memory/legacy is carried on through reproduction. In this case, it is the sort of reproduction that one might see at a zoo - only in this case, it is several consecutive scenes all at once. Not offensive per se, but the kind of thing that would cause a 12 year old to look away and say, "gross". The movie succeeds on the idea of: "is there a way to tap the unused potential of the human brain? If so, what would that look like?" That's a mighty cool question and could lead to quite a story line. Regrettably, the screenwriters did not find a way to tap into that idea through the discovery of some ancient hidden formula, an undiscovered plant or place, something from space, or even something from science. Instead of letting us uncover an imaginative mystery like that as participants, the writers decided they needed to make us observers of drug trafficking and human mules. And now because drugs and smuggling and profiteering are the subtext for the discovery of the portal that opens human brain capacity, the subsequent violence, control, and manipulation that surrounds the drug trade "fits". Sadly, the narrative of drug smuggling (and all that comes with it) in many ways overcomes the narrative we really care about: what does untapped human potential really look like? Intriguingly, one of the talking points that parents and parents (as well as parents and kids) ought to have after seeing this movie relates to what happens to the main character: The more knowledge she has, the less she feels - and feels human. Her newfound and heightened awareness helps her to sense everything, but the more input she knows, the less capacity she has for empathy. As she notices this in herself, she ALMOST grieves its loss; but she has lost that capacity with the heightened data awareness she has. Perhaps this is why every parent and teen OUGHT to see it in order to have the conversation: The more information one has, the less human one may become. The more one is tuned to stimulus and input, the less able one may be to empathize. Connection(s) is different than relationships. This movie gives some effective talking points for these kinds of conversations.
Adult Written bycourtneyw1 August 19, 2014
Adult Written bymilestonenature July 28, 2014

Not as sexual as it says

It is true that there are some sexual scenes but its nothing too specific or disturbing for a mature teen to handle.
Adult Written byWorriedMom411 July 28, 2014

It's not inappropriate sex

Well, there are some sex scenes, but they are not meant to be sexual. These scenes are just showing evolution. So even though it says on here there is sex, it's not inappropriate for any child below the age of 12. As long, of course, they know what sex is beforehand.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byGoodParent1 July 25, 2014

Great R movie

Great movie , thought provoking. How can your site recommend it for age 16 , when it is rated R?? R ratings mean 18+.

Adult Written byjunebug88 July 25, 2014
Um. You should maybe think about doing some editing on the sentence "There are some quick documentary-like flashback scenes of sex between animals and humans." Pretty sure I would have noticed if what that sentence implies had actually happened.