Cute story has some crude humor and innuendo.

Kid, 10 years old June 8, 2013

Watch out for language!!!!!!

You have to watch out for language. One character says "sugar iced tea", which is kid language for sh*t (as explain to me by a friend). The penguins say "Hoover dam" as an exclamation, which pretty much means dam*it. Mild things like "sucks" and "shut up" are also used.
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byJennrleigh October 5, 2009

Ok for kids older than 5 or 6

I think it's a cute movie, but I'm bummed about the language. We're pretty strict about not using "stupid" "crap" "shut up" "hell" or name calling like "jerk" or idiot" and unfortunately, these are often referred to as "mild" insults which is OK for older kids (at least Kindergarten or 1st grade) but completely inappropriate for kids under 4 in my opinion. I don't think this language ever adds anything to the film, so why bother putting it in? I was really disappointed about the scene with "sugar, honey, ice tea"- although many little ones will miss it altogether, why bother putting it in- it doesn't add anything but shock value for the parents :(
Teen, 15 years old Written byLordoftheRings1997 July 26, 2013

One of the WORST and most crude "kids" movies I have ever seen.

This movie is NOT a good movie! Lots of crude humor (potty humor, as my mom calls it). And the language has much to be improved. and at one point, one of the characters exclaims: Sugar honey iced tea... look at the first letter of each word put together... yeah, disgusting for a "family friendly" film. DO NOT let your young children see this. This isn't even appropriate for kids!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomebodysMe June 26, 2009

Really cute, but some iffy stuff.

This movie is a great family favorite..........just try to stop singing "move it, move it" after its over! I do have a couple problems with it, though. The first and main, is that there are a couple things, while not sexual, they made me cringe. (and I'm usually open-minded!) They are, in order of appearance: Gloria has seaweed, crabs, and a lobster stuck to her to look like a bathing suit, and says "okay boys, party's over", and when alex tries to get melman out of the box he's stuck in, he uses a long pole to ram him out, running straight at his behind. While this doesn't sound bad, trust me, it makes you cringe. There is also a lot of euphemisms, that will pass right over little kid's heads (only if they don't know any swear words) such as "hoover dam!" THere are even some blatant swears, such as he-- and dam-. Then finally, the worst part. In the middle to end of the movie, there is a montage to "what a wonderful world, where smal, cute animals are killed. The worst one is last, when, after being depressed, the animals come upon an ADORABLE baby duck. Your heart skips a beat on just how cute it is. And then, your hopes are dashed away because a shark comes up and violently eats it.This disturbed me SOOOO much when I first saw it....... And I was in the seventh grade!!!!!! Maybe it's just because I'm empathetic or something, but I hate this scene, and i never watch it.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byJaydensMommy February 10, 2011

Fun!!

My son loves that each character has very unique personalities. There is some innuendo, but he misses it at age 3, doesn't think anything of it. He has a lot of fun with the music and action. He's constantly singing the song "I like to move it!". This is a regular watch in our home.
Kid, 10 years old November 2, 2009

Watch out, things may slip out.

Madagascar is a great movie. It's all about zoo animals that escape because one of their friends wants to be in somewhere that has wide open spaces. It sounds good, but there is some bad language. In one part, Alex (lion) says "Sugar Honey Ice Tea" which stands for s**t. (Some kids won't notice that.) Some role models aren't good like the foosa that attack lemurs, and the lion is shot with tranquilizer darts. Finally, in one scene, an old lady kicks Alex and hits him with her handbag. It's a good film, but watch out for one use of bad language and bad role models.
Adult Written byIsobelle June 30, 2016

Bullying Themes: Adult Comedy

The movie displays bullying themes, crass language and the Australian animals have American accents which my child found confusing. There is nothing intelligent about the storyline, although the characters can be fun and entertaining. I felt the kangaroo being depicted as violent, was a little over the top for kids. We didn't watch it all the way through, I didn't feel it was communicating a good message and my child was bored. Not a positive message for kids of any age.
Kid, 12 years old May 30, 2011

A great animated comedy will appeal to most kids and tweens!

Loved it! It was hilarious! Not a lot to worry about here. Some violence is put into the movie, but it is very mild. In one scene Gloria, the girl hippo, pretends to wear a bikini using sea creatures like starfish and crabs. Besides that, there is nothing to worry about. Families will love this!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymichaelmyers21 December 4, 2009

I recommend this movie for anyone 9 and up. BUT NO YOUNGER!

Awesome movie- perfect for kids 10 and up
Teen, 13 years old Written bynorth wind June 21, 2016
I like it, and my mother likes it to.
Parent Written byWilliam8 June 24, 2012

Really bad movie for adults disguised as a kids' cartoon

Most of the jokes would only be funny to adults, except they aren't really funny to me or my wife (gay stereotypes, fake drug trips, etc.). Reminded me more of an Adam Sandler movie than a kids' cartoon. The child-oriented stuff would be better classified as "zany". My almost 4-year old was kind of bored, though he certainly remembered Alex's name. No good messages I can remember at all. We gave the movie away (bought on recommendation) before the bad messages could sink in anymore. I can't believe they made sequels to this.
Adult Written bypocahantas200273 April 9, 2008

I cried of laughing so much

It was a really good movie and my 9 and 12 yr. old loved it. It was funny and entertaining.
Parent Written bysamueld1 April 7, 2015

Madagascar

On one of a part it says help it brakes of and then it says hell
Kid, 9 years old July 26, 2012

not that good

ice age is a LOTbetter
Kid, 12 years old June 14, 2012

Madagascar

This heartwarming, funny story had some iffy stuff. Alex repeatedly tries to eat Marty and the Foosa threaten the lemurs. Some crude humor. A 'help' signal (ironically) turns into 'h***'. And Melman appears to be addicted to prescription drugs. This was good, but deserved to be PG.
Adult Written bySettingXSail January 11, 2009
Adult Written byCrazy Chel April 9, 2008

Not impressed

My kids (ages 2,5,8,10) love movies and couldn't wait for this one, but once the DVD arrived it took three days for us to finish the movie! They couldn't stay interested! The older two really tried to finish it but just didn't understand some concepts enough to stay focused. The younger 2 could have cared less. In fact my 2 yr old cried every time we mentioned trying to watch it! The loyalty of friendships was great but the language was a problem and some situations were, too. This is not a movie I plan on buying!
Adult Written byhogweed1 April 9, 2008

Better than Shrek.

A funny movie that works on Dreamworks' often-used "Jay Ward" formula: slapstick and scatalogical jokes for the kids, some witty banter and references for the parents.
Adult Written bycacwgrl23 April 9, 2008

Hysterically Funny!

I saw this movie with my 4 year old daughter and some friends. Some of the content in the movie was not suitable for her age group...the spitting of the drink out of the animals mouths was one of the biggest ones I had an issue with. She went home that night doing it...and all the next day too. She even taught her younger sister to do it. Other than that....it was quite a hyterically funny movie. There was some adult humor to it too.
Teen, 13 years old Written by.Picklecat. August 23, 2016

Quite Good

This film is quite good, but viewers must beware that there is some images, some not very positive. There is once scene of when Alex the lion starts to go "Savage" and starts to attack his friends. Another shows these lion-like mammals prowling on a bunch of lemurs. There is also language. When Alex starts chasing Marty on the shore, and seeing that Alex starts to get angry, Marty hollers " Oh sugar honey iced tea". Take the first letters of that sentence and well... And when Alex has sticks arranged and stuck in the ground, it spells "HELP". Soon the P falls and it turns to the "H word". And when Alex gets shot in the rear with a tranquilizer dart, his eyesight blurs and he gets "high" (as if on drugs) This film... All I can say is that it is for older viewers.