Insightful and well-rounded portrait of Malcolm X.

Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written bykvirgin August 18, 2011

pause and discuss

this is a great movie to watch over several nights. It's one that needs to be Paused a couple of times to explain to a 12 year old. there are plenty of mature themes, but X.s story is presented in a powerful, meaningful way.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAngel1234567890 March 27, 2011

IM MALCOLM X

i cried at the end of the movie i can tell you that and when he was assasinated.RIP Malcolm X.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee August 4, 2015

Malcolm X review..

A great film.. But on the other hand, it does have moments of adult content. on that note, I did notice it used a load of language including a possible 2 usages of the F word and it did use the "N" word a lot.( " I can understand that the time the film took place had people who where prejudice..") I also noticed it did have a little bit of drug use. on that last note, I would also want to be aware of a lot of it's violent racial moments. Otherwise, I thought this film almost landed an R rating.. other than that, A great film for mature teenagers who would like to learn about what happened during this time period..
Adult Written byjmo97 October 21, 2016

Somewhat overlong, but very engaging and moving

Despite the movie being almost three and a half hours long, I felt the time went pretty fast up until the last half hour, or so. Denzel Washington absolutely owns his role as Malcolm X, and seeing him go through troubles with gangs, and changes for himself for the better was pretty intriguing, and sometimes intense, to watch. There are two scenes of violence to look out for: a bottle is smashed on a guy's head, and X's assassination is portrayed with bloody results. There are intense scenes of menace, including a Russian-roulette scene, and racial tension, including flashbacks of arson. The first hour is filled with scenes of Malcolm X's early promiscuous life (including him making out with a woman in a car, and a later scene where a prostitute is handling a man's pants). Racial slurs and epithets abound here. Also, some characters abuse alcohol and smoke. Despite these issues, I think the movie is worth watching for parents and mature teens because of its anti-racism message. 8.0/10
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byoliverzgraham May 23, 2016
There was a good transformation from a trickster thug guy to a leader of a nation. That was really inspiring for me. One other part that I really liked was when he was in jail and met the guy that "saved his life" to converting him to the nation of islam. But I felt bad for malcolm when he was betrayed. Over all i thought this was a great movie.