All member reviews for Mama

Teen, 15 years old Written byAliphulupus January 18, 2013

Epic movie

I really enjoyed this movie but i am wondering why its rated PG!?!?! Some scenes were very terrifying or disturbing. There is very little blood in this movie..Most you see is some drops in the snow. Most of all its the scariness in the movie..
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2013

Good movie but creepy

I am a very big horror fan and I enjoyed seeing this movie. It is not the best movie for kids under 11 not because of its violence but because it is scary. I am usually never scared by any horror movies but this made me jump from my seat a lot. Not only was Mama scary but the way the little kids acted was creep. This movie can easily scare anyone. The language is just like a lot of other PG-13 one f**k and a few sh*ts. The movie was good but had a few moments when you would think they should've of just taken that out and it would be better. Creepy movie, would not recommend this to anyone under 11.
Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 January 19, 2013

creepy weird horror flick is surprisingly entertaining

Well I guess 2012 is over and now were into a new year for movies, 2013 and what a better way to start off the new movie year with...mama? At first when I saw the trailer for this movie I didn't think it looked that good but I thought it had potential but there were two perks for it. 1. It's a film released in January and while we have had some good movies released in January, lets look back at some January movies released last year in January that had potential and turned out bad ("Joyful Noise", "One for the Money") 2. It's a horror film and while i've liked some like "The Woman in Black", i've sat through a lot of awful ones in the past two years ("Shark Night 3D", "The Apparition", "House at the End of the Street") But I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this movie. This movie is really fun, creepy, and I actually jumped sometimes. But there were a couple of things I didn't get at all. First, how can these girls teleport? I didn't get that at all. And second, how come every time a character gets creeped out they have to go in the woods!? Really? Anyways, also the ending kind of made me mad but I'm not gonna spoil what happens. Is it great? No but I did enjoy it more than I thought I would. Iffy for 11+
Teen, 13 years old Written byluvmoviesgirl January 19, 2013

Good, but scary with heavy messages.

I really liked this movie, but if you (and your kids) will like it depends on if you like scary movies. It is very scary and startling at a lot of parts, and there are some extremely heavy messages that really aren't for young children. (Ex. The way in which the children were abandoned, etc.) Overall, I really liked this movie because of the plot and the terror aspect, but kids who are easily scared at things like this probably shouldn't see it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythehungergames77 January 25, 2013

Mama, oh, Mama

I think it was a very frightening movie overall. It was jumpy, but it portrayed a good message that a mother's love really IS forever, and that you should always love and stay with your "Mom", or she will come and kill your real family.
Kid, 10 years old January 18, 2013

VERY SCARY

I'm 10 and I saw this movie. I think this is a VERY scary movie! There were a couple parts where I closed my eyes because I was scared haha. Anyways, I know that most of my friends wouldn't handle the movie. So I think at the least 10 years old, maybe 12. Again, this movie is very scary, so parents, make sure your kid can handle scary stuff.
Kid, 11 years old January 22, 2013

just depends how your child is

Mama looks like a very frightening film is not for kids younger than 11 But does has a role model of saving others and being honest and don't lie only 11+ can see mama but has some bad language seeing this movie is okay for most pre teens like 11,12 ages but I really want to see this
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheReview January 28, 2013

weird but good scary movie appropriate for some tweens.

i'm a young teenager and i saw this movie about a week ago. there is some intense scary scenes that i watched through my fingers, but the movie does have a slightly good message of "love overcomes evil". the "mama" ghost is very scary looking during the one climatic scene of the movie where she comes out of the wall (where she lurks) and kind of does a exorcist-style backbend onto the floor. she could be very scary looking to some kids, judging by the fact she is extremely skinny with distorted facial features and she crawls on her hands and knees, and she makes really weird sounds. however, in the end her entire face is revealed in a sort of cheesy low budget sci fi movie way that ruins the whole scare factor. however some of the scenes include children eating the moths the mama spawns, the mama hiding in a corner and being mistaken for one of the children, one of her claws coming out of a wall and pushing the father down the stairs and into a coma, and several jump scenes that could definitely scare younger children or horror-hating teens. also included is one very intense and strange dream scene which is shown from the mamas point of view and visibly shows her thin hands stabbing a nun and briefly shows her reflection in a mirror, in which she looks scary and demon-like. there is another hallucination scene in which the rock and roll woman imagines mama climbing up on the bed and getting up close to her. in the beginning, the insane father attempts to shoot his children and instead very unexpectedly a pair of hands reach out and grab him and kill him (the mama). when the children are found in the woods, they have adopted to the mama's ways (crawling on hands and feet) and are very grotesque looking. basically the whole movie is filled with scares. hope this review helps your decision!
Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2013

Good movie that relies mainly on jump scares

I really enjoyed this movie. it was engaging, and kept me on the edge of my seat. I love horror movies, but my parents don't let me see almost any. They caved on this one, and i am so glad they did. It is a good scary movie. It relies mainly on jump scares, and has zero blood or gore. My friend and i were surprised about how good it was because we had heard from a couple of people that it was so bad they left the theater. But, it was a very good movie. For people who want to see it: if you don't like moths, don't see it, there are lots of them. very Dark and creepy. the mama is very creepy. If you don't like jump scares, don't see it. If you like scary movies, but hate blood and guts, see this. Few swearing, but uses f*** about twice. good movie. the ending SUCKS, but other than that, it is very good. I enjoyed watching it, and i hope you do to!
Teen, 13 years old Written bytoemas626 January 22, 2013

Amazing but very scary and intense

(Spoiler alert) I just saw this movie with a few friends and we all loved it, but definitely think about weather you really want to see this. It was very scary but very touching a lot of the movie. Mama was very frighting looking. If she appeared maybe once more, it probably would be rated R. Although there is very little blood, there are very disturbing images caused by Mama's jealousy but my friend who doesnt typically jump at horror films jumped multiple times with mama's sudden appearences and looks. The girls however will make you fall in love with them and feel sorry for them, same as mama. This will make the ending rough due to mama righting her wrong and Lily choosing to join. Long story short, they jump of a cliff and its very sad. Victoria however stays behind. This movie was beautifully done but Mama's looks and unnatural body movement will most likely disturb most people.
Teen, 14 years old Written byArjunjbsriram May 24, 2013

CSM were a bit too relaxed

In Singapore this is rated NC16 (ages 16 and above only) and while this rating is a little bit harsh, it does edge slightly towards that. CSM was a bit too relaxed about their review, I would have expected them to write at least 14. This movie is not overtly scary but is very creepy in many places. Also, there are some rather mature themes in this movie. This movie is best for people aged 15 (or mature 14 year olds).
Teen, 16 years old Written bySean Broucek June 12, 2013

Entertaining, innovative scary movie is fine for young teens.

Parents, this horror film starring Golden Globe Award-Winning actress Jessica Chasitian from "Zero Dark Thirty" from the acclaimed director of "Pan's Labirynth" will for sure catch the eye of many horror seekers. The good news is the scary movie is much more tame than other recent popular horror movies, like "Insidious" and "Texas Chainsaw 3D", but still offers some frightening moments and disturbing images. Violence is very infrequent, but includes an attempted child homicide, bruises, bloody noses, a ghost attacking humans, a brief car wreck, and a few semi-gory drawings are glimpsed. Sex is very mild, but includes an interrupted first stage of intercourse, which is very brief. The ghost "MAMA" herself is scary-looking. Language is light, but includes a repeating use of a derogatory substitute for "Are You Kidding Me" (Are You S--ting Me). There is also one f--k heard on a voicemail, but is hard to hear. In the end, this poignant scary movie is okay for young teens and up. Rated PG-13 For Some Sequences Of Terror, Some Disturbing Images, & Brief Language.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 June 13, 2013

It was disappointing to me, but I can see why some people enjoyed it

I didn't really enjoy this movie as much as I wanted to, but I think some might enjoy it. It is intense, but I feel the scary scenes are predictable, the thing I think that would get most kids is how disturbing some of the scenes are, and the language is overall normal for a PG-13 movie. I didn't like it, but I can see why some people did.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygrangermarina February 7, 2013

good enough

i think the movie was pretty good it had a couple jumpy parts and it was very good the movie never got boring
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2013

Creepy

I am 12, and I didn't see it. However, just from the ad, I had nightmares for 2 days after. It depicts scary creatures crawling and climbing in an abandoned and dark house. Don't let your kids watch!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKyle1414 June 19, 2013

A weird and stupid movie but definitely shows out the PG-13 rating

This movie is super creepy. Mama is very scary and distorted looking. There was more violence than I thought there was, but it still wasn't TOO bad. However some injuries/deaths are kinda creepy and disturbing. This movie is full of creepy images and noises. I say ages 13 and up. Language is kinda light but however, it does include 1 use of f--k and maybe 4 uses of s--t. Oh but wait...this movie is actually really STUUUPPIIIDD!!!!!!!!!! DON'T WAIST YOUR MONEY ON THIS S***!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTie dye Clark June 17, 2013

No other word screams horror like what babies call their mom, right?

This is another outing in "gore-less" horror that is steadily becoming more popular then what it used to be. Of course, this is a horror movie, and is therefore meant to scare. So if your'e child is the type to like being scared, and if they prefer this kind of horror (ex. The Others, Insidious, Paranormal Activity) then this should be right up their alley. While the actual showing of blood and gore is close to zero, their are some images shown. A baby's skeleton is shown, and the actual design of Mama (which is only shown for longer then flashes in the last act of the film) can be disturbing. A lot of scenes can be tense atmosphere, especially the one involving the closet. The mother (Jessica Chastain) is a great role model. She's passionate about connecting to these two new daughters she feels she's been alienated from. We see the girl's uncle was always dedicated to finding her nieces for years, and the couple tries very hard to keep their makeshift family together. This film is... not the best compared to most of Guillermo Del Toro's other work. I can't say this is as good as Le Orfanato. It has it's good scares, a few that I would even say are masterfully shot, edited, and put to music. That fantastic tug-a-war scene, the nightmare sequence, and the psychologists visit to the cabin are probably the highlights. The movie stays strong throughout it's majority, there's a tense atmosphere, scares built on a tower of dread. The two child characters in this movie are much more developed and well, child-like then other children in movies. A lot of times, children play either "perfect, wise angel that knows everything you need to know to win at life", "Satan" or "...uh, I don't know, cute I guess". Here, the kids have their own arc. They start off icy and distant, not knowing how to react to these new people and this new world. But over time, they grow to attach to their new mom. The two even have arguments about Mama and what they want to do about her. This is subtle foreshadowing to a twist that presents an unexpected third option to what would normally be a two option scenario. But it's not all perfect. The third and final act is... strange. It's not completely tonally inconsistent, and it's not like once we see the full design of Mama, she suddenly becomes silly. But something falls apart. Part of it could be that once we see Mama in full, the filmmakers suddenly don't care about the restrictions of Mama's character. She can now do whatever she wants. She wants to absorb into the floor, she can absorb into the floor, she wants to teleport, she can teleport. And the actual ending on the edge of the cliff, it just keeps going, and going, and going, and it frustrates you that this movie just won't end! Not to mention that aunt that was just put on screen to be a whiny person and then die. She almost creates her own subplot about trying to take the kids from the uncle, but it goes nowhere. It clearly wasn't meant to be as memorable as some of Del Toro's other work in the first place. This movie doesn't stand out amongst most horror as being especially original, weird, or emotionally powerful. It puts in just enough substance to sustain interest, and if it had a better last third, I would probably look at it a little more fondly. But hey, it always get's props for being the only movie to make the word "Mama" sound genuinely scary.
Kid, 11 years old March 11, 2013

scary mama !!!!

mama is a horror movie that has not much blood or gore but still alout of creepy and disterbing sence that some kids cant handle it is a verry jumpy movie and mama is scary and creepy and kills people for reveng for taking the childern she looked after(mama is a ghost and a soul thing not a human but is still scary as hell
Teen, 14 years old Written bylostmanlovecraft March 5, 2013

Victoria. Mama. Come.

An interesting horror film, Mr. Del Toro has done it again, and scared the socks off of veiwers. A wonderful Lovecraftian tale, should be seen by any interested.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjill_hiss_123 June 19, 2013