All member reviews for Mama

Uneven movie has very scary scenes, some involving children.

Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2014

15A

Violence - Moderate supernatural violence. Horror/Scariness - Horrifying images, very scary sequences and scenes, sustained moderate horror. Threat - Strong supernatural threat. Language - One use of strong language, some other mild and language. Drugs/Alcohol - No major issues. Sex/Nudity - Some sensuality and mild sex. Themes/Topics/Other - Supernatural Thriller/Horror.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDorotea Dukovac August 19, 2014

So creepy

It is scary, my friends tough that it is the most scariest movie on the world, but they have changed their mind when i showed them real scary movie.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymovieloversof2 May 17, 2014

good scare

We always preview movies before allowing our children to watch. Only you know what they are mature enough or able to handle watching. We allowed our 10 yr old to watch it she loves being scary stuff. There is very little to none of bad launguage , intamcy, or drugs. Nothing new that your kids aren't exposed to in public already. Its not gory but it does have violence which usually comes with scary movies anyways. If you have allowed your children to watch hunger games there is definetly nothing to worry about this movie.
Kid, 12 years old April 17, 2014

Mama

This movie is the best thing eva!!! It made me jump lots of times but its not really that scary for you to have nightmares. Before I watched it I thought OMG!! IM GONNA BE REALLY SCARED, when I watch it!! well Im alive and I am not crying of horror Its a great movie! Definatly watch it!
Kid, 12 years old March 3, 2014

Mama

First of all, this is a great movie. Common sense media is way off. There are some problems in the plot/script, but it won't matter because you'll be too busy being terrified. Yes, this is a very, very, scary movie with plenty of disturbing and horrific images, but barley any violence or blood. Check it out. 14+.
Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2014

I say about 11/12+

May scare audiences 10 and below. A man and woman kiss passionately and fall back on a bed... A man falls down stairs and ends up in hospital (Doesn't die)... A woman stabs a man.... (Not graphic) Language include F-bomb(s) S-words, etc. A woman drinks (alcohol) from a bottle. Not that bad actually.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAgeRestrictionUSA February 16, 2014

Mama (2013) Review By: Meredith Aguilera (15)

I saw this film with my 3 best friends at the cinema, my two friends ran out of the cinema screaming 45 minutes into the movie! 4 staff member had to restrain them, My friend Katherine, threw up and the staff gave them a full refund. Personally, I thought they were over- reacting! I LOVED the film!!! 5 people behind me in the cinema were crying and screaming, practically trampling each other alive trying to get out of the cinema!!! After 50 minutes of the film the cinema staff turned it off as like 30 people ran out screaming and they gave the whole audience a refund! So, Yeah! IT'S SOOOOOO SCARY!! NOT SUITABLE AT ALL!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byRookie2 January 4, 2014

Scary

Such a great movie!!! Very scary, i noticed that they built spookiness by showing areas for long periods of time, and making the audience react but not the characters. Lots of bits made me jump, and open my mouth wide as if to scream. Very scary, but since i was expecting scream-at-the-top-of-my-lungs-at-every-jump scary because of the reviews and trailers, it didnt meet the scariness i was expecting. Also, "Mama"'s acctual face isn't too scary either. a very sad movie as well, to be honest. I reckon it should be 13 and up, but also for those brave 12 year olds out there.
Kid, 10 years old January 4, 2014

Ok

It was an alright movie but probably wouldn't watch again! I am very mature when watching horror films I can watch 18s easily! Several uses of F**k, S**t and I think one use of C**t! There is violent scenes when a man gets lifted by his neck by the monster and you see a blurred image when a little girls glasses came off! Not a scary film and I think people who do not like horror films can handle it!
Kid, 9 years old December 2, 2013

love it

jumpy movie the S word is used 4 times that's the only swear words though 1 bed part I didn't watch it though not much drinking the only blood in the movie is 5 drops in the snow also the dad tries to murder his daughter and scary images over all a good movie
Teen, 16 years old Written byKlutzy October 27, 2013

Scary but not Traumatizing

Differently know yourself and/or the person you are watching it with. If you or they are an easy scare this might not be the best movie to watch. "Mama" is a violent spirit and does kill and injure a few people. It does have some very graphic scenes and there are a lot of jump scenes but I believe this is a great movie! This lady at the movie theater (about 18-20) said that the movie had her screaming and gave her nightmares...when I watched it I only jumped a few times. There aren't a lot of traumatizing scenes and I'm not an easy scare so I don't know if that matters. The girlfriend is uneasy about taking care of the kids but eventually develops a motherly bond with the girls. This movie can steal and break your heart al in the same moment. But it is Amazing!
Teen, 14 years old Written by10popem September 7, 2013

Definitely should be more than a PG!!!!

Watched this movie and genuinely thought it was a fifteen o_O. When I found out that this was only a PG I couldn't believe it because I was so scared!!! You don't see Mama's face until the end of the film and when you do it is not very scary, but all the way through the film you can see her creepy demented shadow and it is NOT appropriate for children! Maybe I'm a bit of a chicken but my brother is nine and he would NOT be able to handle this! This should at least be rated a twleve!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTurtlelover70 July 20, 2013

Looks very scary

I am not exactly a horror person but i kinda want to see it .
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. July 12, 2013

Teen, 14 years old Written byEmma80slover July 9, 2013

Great movie!

One of the best horror movies!!! It keeps you on the edge of your seat, and lots of jump-out creepy things!! I love it!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byfreckledoll July 8, 2013

Great pick for horror fans

I went to see this with some friends back in February. I was still 12 and they were 13 so we went to see it alone. There were A LOT of jump scares throughout the movie and most of it was spent with us screaming and covering our faces during intense scenes. Some scenes were very disturbing and intense.The last part of the movie was kind of boring when Mama finally showed her face and you got used to seeing it. Unless you enjoy watching disturbing, supernatural horror movies, I highly recommend you don't watch it if you don't like this type of movie. Overall though my friends and I really enjoyed it and thought it was fun to watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKyle1414 June 19, 2013

A weird and stupid movie but definitely shows out the PG-13 rating

This movie is super creepy. Mama is very scary and distorted looking. There was more violence than I thought there was, but it still wasn't TOO bad. However some injuries/deaths are kinda creepy and disturbing. This movie is full of creepy images and noises. I say ages 13 and up. Language is kinda light but however, it does include 1 use of f--k and maybe 4 uses of s--t. Oh but wait...this movie is actually really STUUUPPIIIDD!!!!!!!!!! DON'T WAIST YOUR MONEY ON THIS S***!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTie dye Clark June 17, 2013

No other word screams horror like what babies call their mom, right?

This is another outing in "gore-less" horror that is steadily becoming more popular then what it used to be. Of course, this is a horror movie, and is therefore meant to scare. So if your'e child is the type to like being scared, and if they prefer this kind of horror (ex. The Others, Insidious, Paranormal Activity) then this should be right up their alley. While the actual showing of blood and gore is close to zero, their are some images shown. A baby's skeleton is shown, and the actual design of Mama (which is only shown for longer then flashes in the last act of the film) can be disturbing. A lot of scenes can be tense atmosphere, especially the one involving the closet. The mother (Jessica Chastain) is a great role model. She's passionate about connecting to these two new daughters she feels she's been alienated from. We see the girl's uncle was always dedicated to finding her nieces for years, and the couple tries very hard to keep their makeshift family together. This film is... not the best compared to most of Guillermo Del Toro's other work. I can't say this is as good as Le Orfanato. It has it's good scares, a few that I would even say are masterfully shot, edited, and put to music. That fantastic tug-a-war scene, the nightmare sequence, and the psychologists visit to the cabin are probably the highlights. The movie stays strong throughout it's majority, there's a tense atmosphere, scares built on a tower of dread. The two child characters in this movie are much more developed and well, child-like then other children in movies. A lot of times, children play either "perfect, wise angel that knows everything you need to know to win at life", "Satan" or "...uh, I don't know, cute I guess". Here, the kids have their own arc. They start off icy and distant, not knowing how to react to these new people and this new world. But over time, they grow to attach to their new mom. The two even have arguments about Mama and what they want to do about her. This is subtle foreshadowing to a twist that presents an unexpected third option to what would normally be a two option scenario. But it's not all perfect. The third and final act is... strange. It's not completely tonally inconsistent, and it's not like once we see the full design of Mama, she suddenly becomes silly. But something falls apart. Part of it could be that once we see Mama in full, the filmmakers suddenly don't care about the restrictions of Mama's character. She can now do whatever she wants. She wants to absorb into the floor, she can absorb into the floor, she wants to teleport, she can teleport. And the actual ending on the edge of the cliff, it just keeps going, and going, and going, and it frustrates you that this movie just won't end! Not to mention that aunt that was just put on screen to be a whiny person and then die. She almost creates her own subplot about trying to take the kids from the uncle, but it goes nowhere. It clearly wasn't meant to be as memorable as some of Del Toro's other work in the first place. This movie doesn't stand out amongst most horror as being especially original, weird, or emotionally powerful. It puts in just enough substance to sustain interest, and if it had a better last third, I would probably look at it a little more fondly. But hey, it always get's props for being the only movie to make the word "Mama" sound genuinely scary.
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2013

Creepy

I am 12, and I didn't see it. However, just from the ad, I had nightmares for 2 days after. It depicts scary creatures crawling and climbing in an abandoned and dark house. Don't let your kids watch!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 June 13, 2013

It was disappointing to me, but I can see why some people enjoyed it

I didn't really enjoy this movie as much as I wanted to, but I think some might enjoy it. It is intense, but I feel the scary scenes are predictable, the thing I think that would get most kids is how disturbing some of the scenes are, and the language is overall normal for a PG-13 movie. I didn't like it, but I can see why some people did.