Uneven movie has very scary scenes, some involving children.

Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2014

15A

Violence - Moderate supernatural violence. Horror/Scariness - Horrifying images, very scary sequences and scenes, sustained moderate horror. Threat - Strong supernatural threat. Language - One use of strong language, some other mild and language. Drugs/Alcohol - No major issues. Sex/Nudity - Some sensuality and mild sex. Themes/Topics/Other - Supernatural Thriller/Horror.
Adult Written byChuckyRevengeFan October 7, 2013

Scariest movie i ever seen in my Life definitely not For kids maybe teens But it Nightmare stuff !!!!!!

i saw this movie at theaters i highly disagree with reviews say this movie is Fine for 12 year olds This most scariest movie i ever seen in my life it is full of Nightmare Stuff Would Give any kid under age 16 Very scary scenes mama is pure evil !!!!!!!!! would not recommend watch this at all it give me Nightmares im 24 !!!!!!!! don't watch it !!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2013

Creepy

I am 12, and I didn't see it. However, just from the ad, I had nightmares for 2 days after. It depicts scary creatures crawling and climbing in an abandoned and dark house. Don't let your kids watch!
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 June 3, 2013

Mama could've and should've been better

“Mama is an old school movie with very good acting, a creepy music score, a good pace, and a few solid jump scenes (particularly in the beginning); But ultimately the ending is very anticlimactic, there is a plot hole or two (really three people fall down a big cliff in a car and all three survive), the horrible CGI in the 2nd half(Mama in particularly when you actually see what she looks like), and the littlest girl walking on all four is unintentionally funny, as well as the “let’s make you jump a lot” kind of gets old. I do recommend Mama but just go with slightly lowered expectations and realize that the movie could’ve been a lot better if mama’s back story was more realistic (similar to the unrealistic back-story of “the Woman in Black” with the whole “I want my child back so I’ll take yours routine”).
Adult Written bywonder dove April 4, 2013

Interesting. I liked it!

I thought the story was very interesting. I wasn't expecting much from this PG-13 horror, but ended up really liking it. It's basically about two young sisters and their dad who, after a car crash, discover an old cabin in the woods and decide to check it out. But after their dad disappears, the two girls are left in the care of a scary ghost named "Mama" who raises them as her own children. Soon after, their uncle and his stuck-up girlfriend learn that they are alive and want to bring them home - but the girls aren't the same. After an accident causing the uncle to spend time in the hospital, it's up to his punk-rocker girlfriend to "play mom" and later discover who Mama is and what she's after. The story is kind of strange when you first watch it, the acting is excellent by everyone including the kids. Language isn't too bad with one quick "f" word during a voice mail message and a few other common words. Sexual content is mild which has some kissing in two scenes, one of them undressing each other but are quickly interrupted. Violence is mostly scary, there is an off-screen car crash. Some deaths but none shown. Chasing scenes, screaming and frightening images. Mama appears creepy and demented looking. Not much gore/blood at all. It has good messages and is even a little sad (in a heartwarming kind of way). Much too scary for young ones but great for teens 12 and up I think!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheReview January 28, 2013

weird but good scary movie appropriate for some tweens.

i'm a young teenager and i saw this movie about a week ago. there is some intense scary scenes that i watched through my fingers, but the movie does have a slightly good message of "love overcomes evil". the "mama" ghost is very scary looking during the one climatic scene of the movie where she comes out of the wall (where she lurks) and kind of does a exorcist-style backbend onto the floor. she could be very scary looking to some kids, judging by the fact she is extremely skinny with distorted facial features and she crawls on her hands and knees, and she makes really weird sounds. however, in the end her entire face is revealed in a sort of cheesy low budget sci fi movie way that ruins the whole scare factor. however some of the scenes include children eating the moths the mama spawns, the mama hiding in a corner and being mistaken for one of the children, one of her claws coming out of a wall and pushing the father down the stairs and into a coma, and several jump scenes that could definitely scare younger children or horror-hating teens. also included is one very intense and strange dream scene which is shown from the mamas point of view and visibly shows her thin hands stabbing a nun and briefly shows her reflection in a mirror, in which she looks scary and demon-like. there is another hallucination scene in which the rock and roll woman imagines mama climbing up on the bed and getting up close to her. in the beginning, the insane father attempts to shoot his children and instead very unexpectedly a pair of hands reach out and grab him and kill him (the mama). when the children are found in the woods, they have adopted to the mama's ways (crawling on hands and feet) and are very grotesque looking. basically the whole movie is filled with scares. hope this review helps your decision!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTie dye Clark June 17, 2013

No other word screams horror like what babies call their mom, right?

This is another outing in "gore-less" horror that is steadily becoming more popular then what it used to be. Of course, this is a horror movie, and is therefore meant to scare. So if your'e child is the type to like being scared, and if they prefer this kind of horror (ex. The Others, Insidious, Paranormal Activity) then this should be right up their alley. While the actual showing of blood and gore is close to zero, their are some images shown. A baby's skeleton is shown, and the actual design of Mama (which is only shown for longer then flashes in the last act of the film) can be disturbing. A lot of scenes can be tense atmosphere, especially the one involving the closet. The mother (Jessica Chastain) is a great role model. She's passionate about connecting to these two new daughters she feels she's been alienated from. We see the girl's uncle was always dedicated to finding her nieces for years, and the couple tries very hard to keep their makeshift family together. This film is... not the best compared to most of Guillermo Del Toro's other work. I can't say this is as good as Le Orfanato. It has it's good scares, a few that I would even say are masterfully shot, edited, and put to music. That fantastic tug-a-war scene, the nightmare sequence, and the psychologists visit to the cabin are probably the highlights. The movie stays strong throughout it's majority, there's a tense atmosphere, scares built on a tower of dread. The two child characters in this movie are much more developed and well, child-like then other children in movies. A lot of times, children play either "perfect, wise angel that knows everything you need to know to win at life", "Satan" or "...uh, I don't know, cute I guess". Here, the kids have their own arc. They start off icy and distant, not knowing how to react to these new people and this new world. But over time, they grow to attach to their new mom. The two even have arguments about Mama and what they want to do about her. This is subtle foreshadowing to a twist that presents an unexpected third option to what would normally be a two option scenario. But it's not all perfect. The third and final act is... strange. It's not completely tonally inconsistent, and it's not like once we see the full design of Mama, she suddenly becomes silly. But something falls apart. Part of it could be that once we see Mama in full, the filmmakers suddenly don't care about the restrictions of Mama's character. She can now do whatever she wants. She wants to absorb into the floor, she can absorb into the floor, she wants to teleport, she can teleport. And the actual ending on the edge of the cliff, it just keeps going, and going, and going, and it frustrates you that this movie just won't end! Not to mention that aunt that was just put on screen to be a whiny person and then die. She almost creates her own subplot about trying to take the kids from the uncle, but it goes nowhere. It clearly wasn't meant to be as memorable as some of Del Toro's other work in the first place. This movie doesn't stand out amongst most horror as being especially original, weird, or emotionally powerful. It puts in just enough substance to sustain interest, and if it had a better last third, I would probably look at it a little more fondly. But hey, it always get's props for being the only movie to make the word "Mama" sound genuinely scary.
Teen, 13 years old Written byleakingrye May 8, 2013

MAMA come

This is a scary as hell movie… its really good but it has one sex scene and one f-word and a lot of drinking but the best movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHaitham Bayazeed April 28, 2013

Changes throughout

It is all about the last 20 minutes which are scary, but the first 80 minutes, they are boring as hell.
Teen, 16 years old Written byScooby79 April 1, 2013

Okay

I thought this movie was a creepy movie. It went downhill at the last half. The 'Mama' ghost is scary looking. This movie has a lot of jump scares! A kid does die, but it's not gross. This movie has absolutely no blood.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTwilightFreakOfLove March 24, 2013

(Mama's too freaky and violent for kids!!!)

The dad try' s to kill his daughter, in the beginning of the movie!!! The ghost for little ones will give them nightmares, I think any mom who'll put her kid through this, is just as selfish as mama!!!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byCarsonherr January 28, 2013

11 years and up

I saw this movie the other day. And honestly it's not bad. A couple scenes a little scary but it think 12 year olds would really enjoy the horror. I saw it with my 12 year old daughter and she absolutely loved it. The language wasn't bad only a couple words here and there. Honestly I think 11 and up are capable of watching this movie.
Kid, 11 years old March 8, 2015

not to scary i could handle it without any nightmares

great movie but there are some scary scenes and a little girl dies a little kissing between the married couple nothing bad but the man falls down the stairs and almost dies
Teen, 15 years old Written byhansel23 May 8, 2013

mama YES

mama is a horror movie that has not much blood or gore but still alout of creepy and disterbing sence that some kids cant handle it is a verry jumpy movie and mama is scary and creepy and kills people for reveng for taking the childern she looked after(mama is a ghost and a soul thing not a human but is still scary as hell
Parent Written bynimswa April 8, 2013

Don't Bother Even Seeing It On TV

One of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. The "ghost" is ridiculous.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKyle1414 June 19, 2013

A weird and stupid movie but definitely shows out the PG-13 rating

This movie is super creepy. Mama is very scary and distorted looking. There was more violence than I thought there was, but it still wasn't TOO bad. However some injuries/deaths are kinda creepy and disturbing. This movie is full of creepy images and noises. I say ages 13 and up. Language is kinda light but however, it does include 1 use of f--k and maybe 4 uses of s--t. Oh but wait...this movie is actually really STUUUPPIIIDD!!!!!!!!!! DON'T WAIST YOUR MONEY ON THIS S***!
Parent of a 6 and 14 year old Written bysmita67 March 29, 2013

Brilliant Film! Quite scary for tweens and under

Mama is a horror movie about two girls who are abandoened in a cabin in the woods who bring back a sinister presence to their homes. The film is full of jumps and scares and some scenes may be frightening or upsetting for younger children, especially the ending which can even shake an adult up after watching it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLoïc July 12, 2015

Scary movie and very ugly ghost. I recommend to the age of 12 / Film effrayant et fantôme très très laid. Je le déconseille aux moins de 12 ans

Mama is a very scary horror movie. We see very clearly the ghost of a woman completely disfigured , the atmosphere is very scary , the children have a strange behavior that can hit younger . We see blood and a very creepy dream is scary. This film is REALLY not suitable for children under 12 years. Truly terrifying film that will make you jump more than once ! Excuse me for the mistakes , but I'm french ! FRANCAIS:Mama est un film d’épouvante très effrayant. On voit très distinctement le fantôme d’une femme totalement défigurée, l’atmosphère y est très angoissante, Les enfant ont un comportement étrange, pouvant heurtée les plus jeunes. On voit du sang, ainsi qu’un rêve très glauque est effrayant. Ce film n’est VRAIMENT pas approprié pour les enfants de moins de 12 ans. Film vraiment terrifiant qui vous fera sursauter plus d’une fois
Teen, 13 years old Written byRookie2 January 4, 2014

Scary

Such a great movie!!! Very scary, i noticed that they built spookiness by showing areas for long periods of time, and making the audience react but not the characters. Lots of bits made me jump, and open my mouth wide as if to scream. Very scary, but since i was expecting scream-at-the-top-of-my-lungs-at-every-jump scary because of the reviews and trailers, it didnt meet the scariness i was expecting. Also, "Mama"'s acctual face isn't too scary either. a very sad movie as well, to be honest. I reckon it should be 13 and up, but also for those brave 12 year olds out there.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. July 12, 2013