Uneven movie has very scary scenes, some involving children.

Teen, 16 years old Written byyundun63 February 16, 2013

Under 12's should not watch this without their mama (ha, see what I did there?)

Pretty good although not particularly scary. It mostly focuses on jump scares that most teens can get over fairly quickly. The script however is kind of weak but I loved the ending (SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! I mean how often does the kid actually die? That was pretty unusual twist. END SPOILER) The one thing I would caution is the fact that this movie has violence involving young children not directed at them exactly except for one particularly disturbing scene (the violence never actually occurs though, it's just suggested.) Really it's more centered around them due to the 'Mama' entity trying to 'protect' them, but nothing gory or overly harmful/shocking.
Kid, 12 years old February 12, 2013

BIG dissapointment

I am 10 and I saw it not as scary as I hoped but a few jumpy parts.
Teen, 14 years old Written byZoemily February 10, 2013

Mama

I think this is a great movie for fans of horror. Not too much gore or scares, it gets to you in other ways.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydirectioner23 February 10, 2013

Dumb and nothing more

When I saw the preview for this I really wanted to see it. When I did see it I was really disappointed. It was really dumb and boring. It had a lot of pop ups of mama but that was the only scary part. It still has a creepy feeling to it though.
Kid, 11 years old February 9, 2013

Okay

The talk of my fifth-grade classroom and those who have older siblings say it's very scary but really good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygrangermarina February 7, 2013

good enough

i think the movie was pretty good it had a couple jumpy parts and it was very good the movie never got boring
Parent Written byShivom Oza February 5, 2013

Mama (2013) Review by Shivom Oza - Naah Naah!

'Mama' begins on a mysterious note. It ends on an even more mysterious note. The film, which includes Guillermo del Toro as its executive producer, is based on a three minute-long short film of the same name. What lies between the start and the end, are some more mysteries coupled with a horrible second half, terrible CGI and preposterous acting! The film is already a big box-office success, for reasons unknown. Two little girls Victoria and Lilly are taken away by their father, after he's just murdered their mother. The father fakes a car crash and moves in with his daughters to a dingy-looking cottage house in the seemingly spooky woods. He gets killed soon after, by a horrendous apparition looming in that house. The girls are left all alone. Five years later, we have the father's brother Lucas (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) yet looking for the girls. He lives with the attractive lead singer of a local rock band, Annabel (Jessica Chastain). After much deliberation, the two girls are found in the same cottage. Victoria and Lilly, having been cut off from humans at such an impressionable age and for such a long time, have almost become beastly in their mannerisms and body language. Yet, Uncle Lucas and Annabel agree to take them in. However, the looming apparition reappears. Thus, we meet the dreaded Mama! ‘Mama’ sets up the premise nicely in the first half. The plot looks interesting, regardless of the clichés. The acting too, is passable. Jessica looks and acts fine and the two girls are also very convincing as Mama's loyalists. The conflict is also quite interesting and the half-way mark does set up an intriguing supernatural thriller. However, the second half makes up for all the lack of stupidity. Needless drama, out-of-place spooky sequences, two deplorable nightmare scenes, a barrage of unsolved questions and the anti-horrific climax later, the film almost becomes a joke. Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nelisse do a decent job playing the two girls and Chastain is wonderful in her supporting act. However, the writers mar a potentially good first half with the same old B-movie tricks. Andy Muschietti, the director of the film, should just leave great short movies untouched henceforth. The seemingly scary humming music in 'Mama' is annoying. Check that out first. The rest of the film is even more annoying than that. Pass this one. Shivom Oza
Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2013

Good movie that relies mainly on jump scares

I really enjoyed this movie. it was engaging, and kept me on the edge of my seat. I love horror movies, but my parents don't let me see almost any. They caved on this one, and i am so glad they did. It is a good scary movie. It relies mainly on jump scares, and has zero blood or gore. My friend and i were surprised about how good it was because we had heard from a couple of people that it was so bad they left the theater. But, it was a very good movie. For people who want to see it: if you don't like moths, don't see it, there are lots of them. very Dark and creepy. the mama is very creepy. If you don't like jump scares, don't see it. If you like scary movies, but hate blood and guts, see this. Few swearing, but uses f*** about twice. good movie. the ending SUCKS, but other than that, it is very good. I enjoyed watching it, and i hope you do to!
Teen, 14 years old Written bythehungergames77 January 25, 2013

Mama, oh, Mama

I think it was a very frightening movie overall. It was jumpy, but it portrayed a good message that a mother's love really IS forever, and that you should always love and stay with your "Mom", or she will come and kill your real family.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytoemas626 January 22, 2013

Amazing but very scary and intense

(Spoiler alert) I just saw this movie with a few friends and we all loved it, but definitely think about weather you really want to see this. It was very scary but very touching a lot of the movie. Mama was very frighting looking. If she appeared maybe once more, it probably would be rated R. Although there is very little blood, there are very disturbing images caused by Mama's jealousy but my friend who doesnt typically jump at horror films jumped multiple times with mama's sudden appearences and looks. The girls however will make you fall in love with them and feel sorry for them, same as mama. This will make the ending rough due to mama righting her wrong and Lily choosing to join. Long story short, they jump of a cliff and its very sad. Victoria however stays behind. This movie was beautifully done but Mama's looks and unnatural body movement will most likely disturb most people.
Kid, 11 years old January 22, 2013

just depends how your child is

Mama looks like a very frightening film is not for kids younger than 11 But does has a role model of saving others and being honest and don't lie only 11+ can see mama but has some bad language seeing this movie is okay for most pre teens like 11,12 ages but I really want to see this
Parent Written byjpschouest January 21, 2013

Good but a little scary

Kid, 10 years old January 18, 2013

VERY SCARY

I'm 10 and I saw this movie. I think this is a VERY scary movie! There were a couple parts where I closed my eyes because I was scared haha. Anyways, I know that most of my friends wouldn't handle the movie. So I think at the least 10 years old, maybe 12. Again, this movie is very scary, so parents, make sure your kid can handle scary stuff.