Uneven movie has very scary scenes, some involving children.

Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2013

Good movie but creepy

I am a very big horror fan and I enjoyed seeing this movie. It is not the best movie for kids under 11 not because of its violence but because it is scary. I am usually never scared by any horror movies but this made me jump from my seat a lot. Not only was Mama scary but the way the little kids acted was creep. This movie can easily scare anyone. The language is just like a lot of other PG-13 one f**k and a few sh*ts. The movie was good but had a few moments when you would think they should've of just taken that out and it would be better. Creepy movie, would not recommend this to anyone under 11.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAliphulupus January 18, 2013

Epic movie

I really enjoyed this movie but i am wondering why its rated PG!?!?! Some scenes were very terrifying or disturbing. There is very little blood in this movie..Most you see is some drops in the snow. Most of all its the scariness in the movie..
Parent of a 14 year old Written byJeHaMo January 25, 2013

Typical Del Toro, MAMA

I viewed this film with my 16 year old daughter and her friends. It is a mix of historical fiction and modern. I find this, like most del Toro films, part mystery and part horror with a twist at the ending. As with most of his films, there is a happy ending for some, but not all of the characters. We enjoyed the suspense of this film and the lack of gore.
Kid, 11 years old March 11, 2013

scary mama !!!!

mama is a horror movie that has not much blood or gore but still alout of creepy and disterbing sence that some kids cant handle it is a verry jumpy movie and mama is scary and creepy and kills people for reveng for taking the childern she looked after(mama is a ghost and a soul thing not a human but is still scary as hell
Teen, 14 years old Written byAriana507 October 11, 2014

SCARED ME TO DEATH.

I hate this movie. I'm a chicken when it comes to horror movies! But my friends convinced me to see this when I was 13. We sat in the second row at the very bottom on the premier night. I kept my eyes shut for most of the movie! It was so scary, (remember I'm a chicken) The plot is very disturbing also. This whole movie is twisted and messed up. There was a lot of jump scares and mama herself scared me. I do NOT recommend anyone to see this. It's a crappy movie, scary, and the ending is kind of sad.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylostmanlovecraft March 5, 2013

Victoria. Mama. Come.

An interesting horror film, Mr. Del Toro has done it again, and scared the socks off of veiwers. A wonderful Lovecraftian tale, should be seen by any interested.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHorror_Movie_Lover September 21, 2014

Good Moive

This movie is good, but to me it is more depressing than scary. The ending scene is the only really sad scene in the movie. This movie has shocking moments, the end makes you hoping for a squeal. It shows a great message, a mother love never dies.
Kid, 12 years old April 17, 2014

Mama

This movie is the best thing eva!!! It made me jump lots of times but its not really that scary for you to have nightmares. Before I watched it I thought OMG!! IM GONNA BE REALLY SCARED, when I watch it!! well Im alive and I am not crying of horror Its a great movie! Definatly watch it!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymovieloversof2 May 17, 2014

good scare

We always preview movies before allowing our children to watch. Only you know what they are mature enough or able to handle watching. We allowed our 10 yr old to watch it she loves being scary stuff. There is very little to none of bad launguage , intamcy, or drugs. Nothing new that your kids aren't exposed to in public already. Its not gory but it does have violence which usually comes with scary movies anyways. If you have allowed your children to watch hunger games there is definetly nothing to worry about this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byimoviegoteen July 23, 2015

Very Chilling.

Some language, and F word, some S words, and the other usual movie language. Sex is no issue here other than a girl and her boyfriend starting to kiss then undress (NO nudity). And Violence includes kids in peril some times.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMarty.Pink.Lady March 17, 2014

Mama...?

I really didn't think it was scary, but it was a good movie over all. But I thought it was a bit depressing with the whole "kill my child" parts but other than that I thought it was fine for 12 year olds.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written byfancythat January 25, 2013

Total Turkey

(Possible spoiler alert) This is one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen. A total waste of the actors' talents. I am very adverse to paranormal movies, but my husband wanted to see this. I was prepared to walk out if it was at all realistic. The "ghost" is totally unbelievable - a nine foot apparition with tree branch looking hands and a messed up face. And what's up with that stupid moth at the end? Not worth even renting it.
Kid, 12 years old March 3, 2014

Mama

First of all, this is a great movie. Common sense media is way off. There are some problems in the plot/script, but it won't matter because you'll be too busy being terrified. Yes, this is a very, very, scary movie with plenty of disturbing and horrific images, but barley any violence or blood. Check it out. 14+.
Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2014

I say about 11/12+

May scare audiences 10 and below. A man and woman kiss passionately and fall back on a bed... A man falls down stairs and ends up in hospital (Doesn't die)... A woman stabs a man.... (Not graphic) Language include F-bomb(s) S-words, etc. A woman drinks (alcohol) from a bottle. Not that bad actually.
Teen, 13 years old Written byluvmoviesgirl January 19, 2013

Good, but scary with heavy messages.

I really liked this movie, but if you (and your kids) will like it depends on if you like scary movies. It is very scary and startling at a lot of parts, and there are some extremely heavy messages that really aren't for young children. (Ex. The way in which the children were abandoned, etc.) Overall, I really liked this movie because of the plot and the terror aspect, but kids who are easily scared at things like this probably shouldn't see it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 21, 2015
Kid, 11 years old November 5, 2014

weird

This movie was strange. The story line is weird and personally not the best. Some jump scares and not the kind of movie to give you nightmares... that is if you aren't scared of air vents lol.
Kid, 9 years old December 2, 2013

love it

jumpy movie the S word is used 4 times that's the only swear words though 1 bed part I didn't watch it though not much drinking the only blood in the movie is 5 drops in the snow also the dad tries to murder his daughter and scary images over all a good movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byAgeRestrictionUSA February 16, 2014

Mama (2013) Review By: Meredith Aguilera (15)

I saw this film with my 3 best friends at the cinema, my two friends ran out of the cinema screaming 45 minutes into the movie! 4 staff member had to restrain them, My friend Katherine, threw up and the staff gave them a full refund. Personally, I thought they were over- reacting! I LOVED the film!!! 5 people behind me in the cinema were crying and screaming, practically trampling each other alive trying to get out of the cinema!!! After 50 minutes of the film the cinema staff turned it off as like 30 people ran out screaming and they gave the whole audience a refund! So, Yeah! IT'S SOOOOOO SCARY!! NOT SUITABLE AT ALL!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byKlutzy October 27, 2013

Scary but not Traumatizing

Differently know yourself and/or the person you are watching it with. If you or they are an easy scare this might not be the best movie to watch. "Mama" is a violent spirit and does kill and injure a few people. It does have some very graphic scenes and there are a lot of jump scenes but I believe this is a great movie! This lady at the movie theater (about 18-20) said that the movie had her screaming and gave her nightmares...when I watched it I only jumped a few times. There aren't a lot of traumatizing scenes and I'm not an easy scare so I don't know if that matters. The girlfriend is uneasy about taking care of the kids but eventually develops a motherly bond with the girls. This movie can steal and break your heart al in the same moment. But it is Amazing!