Upbeat, silly ABBA musical has sexual innuendos.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

a fun movie to watch with your kids

This is fine for most kids. Yes, they do swear and it has sexual behavior, but most kids won't even realize it. It is a fun movie.
Adult Written byhelenmirrenrox May 27, 2011

Mamma Mia!!

This is a nice movie but however, there is some iffy stuff I had to watch out for. I watched this with my 12 year old and I looked up a few times. 12 is a bit iffy to watch at. 13 should be good. If you are 14+ it is fine. There is some sexy stuff in this movie. The whole point of the movie is "Sophie" doesn't know who her father is because her mom slept with 3 different men. There are several uses of "knocked up" and "You got any?".. In one scene a man's butt is showing in front of a lady (FULLY). In a nother scene a woman slides down a mans waist and ties a towel around his 'area'--You can see he 'felt' it--this scene is naughty and it carries on for a few seconds, also in this scene you see a bag full of "toys" (breif). There are several suggestive dance moves. Some lyrics in the songs are mild, but there are refrances such as- "Do your thing", "not to old for sex", "I had a few little love affairs" "Your a teaser you turn them on", "We can go walking" "It was the time of our flower power"---Any way there are some kissed to. One on a beach that last for a VERY short time. 2 passionate kisses between Donna and Sam (one while being only half dressed. And there are 2 meadium kisses between Sophie and Ski. There is a short romantic kiss between Rosie and Bill. Some flirting is on a beach, a few love songs, hand holding, carrying, hugging, sex talk, and some bare chests and such. This movie has little violence, a woman falls from a balcony into a man's arms, a fish with teeth is shown and there is a minor earthquake with LITTLE distruction. As for swears, sl*t, crap and ass- is as bad as it gets. There are some drinks, and a man smoking is shown once. Some people have a party at the bar and are tierd the next morning.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfarmertom January 14, 2010

Enjoyed it myself but wouldn't recommend it to kids under 18.

I actually really liked the movie. I found myself humming the tunes for at least a week afterward. It made me want to go to Greece and spend a few weeks being lazy in the sun. I'm not a huge fan of musicals but sometimes enjoy them. This was a very entertaining one. BUT........As a parent, I feel the role model is terrible. One summer the lead actress has a fling with three guys and gets pregnant. I don't like it when single mothers that make poor choices are glamorized. I applaud their effort is raising kids but think that most of the time they made a choice. It isn't like they slipped on a wet rock and got knocked up. And this movie sort of does put the fact that she was a single parent up on a pedestal. So basically, I don't want my son or daughter watching it but I would gladly see it again myself and I'm sure I will.
Adult Written byChristian reveiwer October 31, 2009

Not approriate for any age

Some friends said that this movie would be a great family movie. NO NO No... I can't believe the vulgarity of this movie. I love Abba but I mean common, making most of their songs Sexy and vulgar dance to them. When the song Gimme gimme gimme came on the brides friends started taking her so called fathers' and poll dancing with them and it was just inappripriate. DON'T WATCH this movie if you want to ruin Abba's songs!!!
Kid, 10 years old July 4, 2011

really really good!

my best friend and I love mamma mia, I think it's well made and abba is one of my favorite music artists!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypicklesmom September 29, 2010

It's the music we want - just get the sound-track

A lot of questionable sexual references. The storyline itself is a little hard to explain to a child. I previewed it for my 12 year old and gave it a thumbs down. It isn't even that good of a movie.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byfrapgirl007 May 8, 2010

Great for 4-year-old girls who love to sing and dance

okay I will get boo'd for this probably, but I took my daughter to see it when she was 4. The hairdryer-as-a-sex toy scene went right over her head, as did the "who is her father" part. So what I had was a little girl who stood up and danced in front of her seat the entire time to the music. Her energy was infectious and everyone around us had a good time (that might sound like she was disruptive, but she wasn't). So I want to say if you have a 4 year old who loves to sing and dance - you might have a window of opportunity here that might be lost in a couple years when you might get quizzed on the aforementioned adult themes.
Parent Written bynicolasconnault February 25, 2010
This movie would have been absolutely fantastic without the permeating thread of sexuality that runs all the way through it. In fact, it's difficult to extract any strong message from the movie except: "Have fun and sex, don't let people tell you what to do". What a loss of an opportunity to insert very positive messages! The performance of Meryl Streep is absolutely mind-boggling, she portrays her character more than perfectly.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo December 15, 2009

not for younger kids in my opinion..

I have to say I didn't love this movie. My best friend recommended it because her 3 year old LOVES this movie. I'm glad I had sense enough to watch it soon myself because I don't feel I'm ready to explain to my 5 year old what a sl*t is (Meryl calls herself that). She also says something about not letting some ejaculate control the decisions she makes with her daughter. I have serious reservations about showing this movie to my 5 year old now that I've seen it.
Parent of a 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bygddown October 29, 2009

Not a great message for kids of any age

I know it's increasingly becoming reality, but the movie portrays a highly dysfunctional family as light and largely problem free. It's as if the daughter could follow in her mother's sexual footsteps and expect a carefree life... That said, ABBA's tunes are as catchy as ever.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySammy568 August 5, 2009

A fun movie, but be ready to distract your tween

Most of the sexual references are subtle and go right over my daughter's head, although I do distract her if I know something questionable is coming up. The fun music is what my daughter really enjoyed. I don't think for one moment that she's going to emulate what she sees on the screen. I've raised her better than that.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKaihfewuory327ybch April 19, 2011

Fun, energetic and colourful- fantastic movie for the whole family!!

This movie had me dancing in my seat- a pleasure to watch. It provides laughs, great music and leaves you feeling rejuvinated and lively! Fabulous!
Adult Written bychangster.eminem February 8, 2010

Watch it now or regret it!

I loved it. It was an amazing musical, although I must say that the broadway was better. But this was amazing!
Teen, 14 years old Written byster April 25, 2015
Pretty fun musical. There are a lot of fun songs and different elements that you and your family can sing along too:) the only downsides are a few refferences to sex, why in the hell do they have to add that crap, and some mild language such as frickin, damn and ass and hell, other then these few things, great film for Tweens and up:)
Teen, 13 years old Written byFathomT December 24, 2014

Fun; if showing young ones, make sure they know well that it's a one time thing

I was allowed to watch this when I was eight. My parents know this was a mistake, but everything flew over our heads. If you want to watch this with a six year old, go ahead. Just make sure they know its a one time thing (until they're 12 or something). Also, it's probably best if you watch it 1st AND with them. My parents made that mistake and because of it I taught "Does Your Mother Know" to my friends. The movie is full of sex, social drinking, smoking, references to weed, sex, one scene with someone's bare butt (not sexually, though), sex, sex, and sex. Quality wise, Mamma Mia is a pretty good movie. In movie-musicals, casting directors think that they need to cast big stars who don't always have much (or any) singing ability. So it's no surprise that people like Pierce Bronson sound really bad. But people like Meryl Streep, Christine Baranski, Julie Walters and Amanda Seyfried have amazing voices. Sure, it's not well organized, some singers suck, and it's cheesy (good cheese, but still). That's why I took a star off. But with all it's flaws, Mamma Mia is a very fun movie that tweens and up can watch again and again.
Kid, 9 years old May 29, 2013

Mamma Mia!

My 4-year-old sister can handle this movie, and I am always like "Mom, should she really be watching a PG-13 movie at this age?" Apparently she can.
Kid, 6 years old May 25, 2012

Mamma Mia reveiw

Mamma Mia is a fun movie about a girl trying to find her dad. I love this musical so much because it is fun, but one song is really boring to watch.
Kid, 11 years old March 18, 2011
Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2010

So-so, depends on why you're watching it.

This movie is alright. It's a little cheesy, but if you're just watching it to have fun, it could get much worse.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMktheReviewer July 30, 2010

GOOD MUSICAL!

Good musical. Younger audiences wont understand the sexual messages that are sent. So in that sense, it is OK (appropriate)! A LOT of singing. So if you want to here Meryl Streep sing, go for it :) :) :)!