All member reviews for Mamma Mia!

Upbeat, silly ABBA musical is flimsy but fun.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

a fun movie to watch with your kids

This is fine for most kids. Yes, they do swear and it has sexual behavior, but most kids won't even realize it. It is a fun movie.
Adult Written byhelenmirrenrox May 27, 2011

Mamma Mia!!

This is a nice movie but however, there is some iffy stuff I had to watch out for. I watched this with my 12 year old and I looked up a few times. 12 is a bit iffy to watch at. 13 should be good. If you are 14+ it is fine. There is some sexy stuff in this movie. The whole point of the movie is "Sophie" doesn't know who her father is because her mom slept with 3 different men. There are several uses of "knocked up" and "You got any?".. In one scene a man's butt is showing in front of a lady (FULLY). In a nother scene a woman slides down a mans waist and ties a towel around his 'area'--You can see he 'felt' it--this scene is naughty and it carries on for a few seconds, also in this scene you see a bag full of "toys" (breif). There are several suggestive dance moves. Some lyrics in the songs are mild, but there are refrances such as- "Do your thing", "not to old for sex", "I had a few little love affairs" "Your a teaser you turn them on", "We can go walking" "It was the time of our flower power"---Any way there are some kissed to. One on a beach that last for a VERY short time. 2 passionate kisses between Donna and Sam (one while being only half dressed. And there are 2 meadium kisses between Sophie and Ski. There is a short romantic kiss between Rosie and Bill. Some flirting is on a beach, a few love songs, hand holding, carrying, hugging, sex talk, and some bare chests and such. This movie has little violence, a woman falls from a balcony into a man's arms, a fish with teeth is shown and there is a minor earthquake with LITTLE distruction. As for swears, sl*t, crap and ass- is as bad as it gets. There are some drinks, and a man smoking is shown once. Some people have a party at the bar and are tierd the next morning.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfarmertom January 14, 2010

Enjoyed it myself but wouldn't recommend it to kids under 18.

I actually really liked the movie. I found myself humming the tunes for at least a week afterward. It made me want to go to Greece and spend a few weeks being lazy in the sun. I'm not a huge fan of musicals but sometimes enjoy them. This was a very entertaining one. BUT........As a parent, I feel the role model is terrible. One summer the lead actress has a fling with three guys and gets pregnant. I don't like it when single mothers that make poor choices are glamorized. I applaud their effort is raising kids but think that most of the time they made a choice. It isn't like they slipped on a wet rock and got knocked up. And this movie sort of does put the fact that she was a single parent up on a pedestal. So basically, I don't want my son or daughter watching it but I would gladly see it again myself and I'm sure I will.
Kid, 10 years old July 4, 2011

really really good!

my best friend and I love mamma mia, I think it's well made and abba is one of my favorite music artists!
Adult Written byChristian reveiwer October 31, 2009

Not approriate for any age

Some friends said that this movie would be a great family movie. NO NO No... I can't believe the vulgarity of this movie. I love Abba but I mean common, making most of their songs Sexy and vulgar dance to them. When the song Gimme gimme gimme came on the brides friends started taking her so called fathers' and poll dancing with them and it was just inappripriate. DON'T WATCH this movie if you want to ruin Abba's songs!!!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySammy568 August 5, 2009

A fun movie, but be ready to distract your tween

Most of the sexual references are subtle and go right over my daughter's head, although I do distract her if I know something questionable is coming up. The fun music is what my daughter really enjoyed. I don't think for one moment that she's going to emulate what she sees on the screen. I've raised her better than that.
Parent Written bynicolasconnault February 25, 2010

This movie would have been absolutely fantastic without the permeating thread of sexuality that runs all the way through it. In fact, it's difficult to extract any strong message from the movie except: "Have fun and sex, don't let people tell you what to do". What a loss of an opportunity to insert very positive messages! The performance of Meryl Streep is absolutely mind-boggling, she portrays her character more than perfectly.
Adult Written bychangster.eminem February 8, 2010

Watch it now or regret it!

I loved it. It was an amazing musical, although I must say that the broadway was better. But this was amazing!
Kid, 12 years old August 25, 2013

Mamma Mia! ~ lesmis_24601

~My Summary~ Sophie, a 20-year-old young woman is about to get married to a charming man. She would like to have her father give her away. Yet, she doesn't know her father! Finding her mother's old diary, she finds three men who could possibly be her father. The only problem is, what will her mother think when she sees the three men she fears the most at her Greek Hotel? ~ My Review ~ This is a great musical, with very catchy and well-known songs that will get the whole family into music. There is a bit of sex, and if you feel uncomfortable with your kids watching things with people talking about it (briefly), then I do not recommend showing to your kids. There is quite a bit of romance. The language mostly consists of f*ck, a*s, and sl*t. I think your kids should be fine with the words if they don't know what they mean. I suggest it and I hope you enjoy your movie! ~lesmis_24601
Kid, 9 years old May 29, 2013

Mamma Mia!

My 4-year-old sister can handle this movie, and I am always like "Mom, should she really be watching a PG-13 movie at this age?" Apparently she can.
Parent Written byStanleypuss November 4, 2012

Mamma Mia!

This was one of my favorite musicals. It has lots of positive role models and messages. It has a little kissing but not so much you should be worried. It has a little bad language like a**, c**p, and fri***n. Drinking is highly shown throughout the movie. It has lots of music and a big movie spirit. Their is SOO much bickering. Know your child, keep them away from tis movie if they are at least under four. I do not know why it is rated PG-13 but if you have a six year old child he/she can watch without you!
Kid, 6 years old May 25, 2012

Mamma Mia reveiw

Mamma Mia is a fun movie about a girl trying to find her dad. I love this musical so much because it is fun, but one song is really boring to watch.
Kid, 10 years old August 5, 2011

great for teens

It was ok. Not a great movie. Well thats what I think it might good for mature chick flick fans.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byThe Benevolent ... May 17, 2011

Teen, 16 years old Written byKaihfewuory327ybch April 19, 2011

Fun, energetic and colourful- fantastic movie for the whole family!!

This movie had me dancing in my seat- a pleasure to watch. It provides laughs, great music and leaves you feeling rejuvinated and lively! Fabulous!
Kid, 11 years old March 18, 2011

Kid, 11 years old January 19, 2011

What should you watch out for?

I LOVED the singing, but there is some stuff you should watch out for. Otherwise a good movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySelenaLuver December 31, 2010

Great Movie:)

I really liked this movie! it was really cute, but I can see why it's PG 13 considering some of the innuendo. Other than that- it's perfect!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypicklesmom September 29, 2010

It's the music we want - just get the sound-track

A lot of questionable sexual references. The storyline itself is a little hard to explain to a child. I previewed it for my 12 year old and gave it a thumbs down. It isn't even that good of a movie.
Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2010

So-so, depends on why you're watching it.

This movie is alright. It's a little cheesy, but if you're just watching it to have fun, it could get much worse.