All parent member reviews for Mamma Mia!

Parent of a 10, 13, and 14 year old Written byjudrop December 19, 2008

mamma mia mine

i took my daughter and her 8 year old her friend of 7 years and my other granddaughter of 13 and that is three generations 9of our family and we all thought it was the best film we had seen in years music was brilliant it was funny intriguing and just absolutely fantastic
Adult Written byOwens3 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bylmtrav May 5, 2013

Here I go again...

I've seen the stage version of this musical twice and the movie numerous times. I loved it the first time I saw it, but it starts to lose appeal after a few more times. The same goes with the stage version. The second time I saw it, I found it boring and repetitive. It is a pretty funny story and the ABBA songs fit and make sense where they are sung in the story. The whole story involves a young woman about to be married who is unsure of who her dad is so that may turn a few parents off, but honestly, as central as it is to the plot, it really isn't made that obvious or touched on that much. It likely will go straight over the head of younger kids, and it isn't anything most kids 11 or 12 haven't seen before or are unaware of. If you're up for a fun and lighthearted comedy, this movie is an excellent option.
Parent Written byStanleypuss November 4, 2012

Mamma Mia!

This was one of my favorite musicals. It has lots of positive role models and messages. It has a little kissing but not so much you should be worried. It has a little bad language like a**, c**p, and fri***n. Drinking is highly shown throughout the movie. It has lots of music and a big movie spirit. Their is SOO much bickering. Know your child, keep them away from tis movie if they are at least under four. I do not know why it is rated PG-13 but if you have a six year old child he/she can watch without you!
Adult Written byJEDI micah October 26, 2012

The greatest musical film of all time!!!

Normally, these types of movies aren't really up my ally, but this one is actually not that bad. Of course, the real reason why I like this movie is because of ABBA! Who doesn't love ABBA?! This movie is great for mothers and daughters, even men may like it (if they're ABBA fans)! Not only does it have ABBA songs, it has a love story, funny characters, cheesy dialogue, and beautiful scenes of Greece! Some sexual innuendo and some drinking may be a concern about this movie, though. But the ABBA songs and 1970's dance moves are what this movie is all about! One disappointment is that one character (an actor who once played James Bond) is not a good singer! That's gonna be an eye-rolling move for parents!
Parent of a 15 year old Written bysklejda August 17, 2010

teens

love
Adult Written byliddle.biddle February 23, 2009

I REALLY WANT TO SEE IT!!!
Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

You can't resist tapping your foot!

I just barely saw this over at a friends house. With music by ABBA, you can't hold yourself together. Beautiful story. A FEW lines suggest sex ( . . .) but nothing explicit. If you've taken an adolescence class and you watch with a mature person older than you, this would be perfect.
Parent of a 2, 7, and 11 year old Written bylittlekitty January 14, 2009

Fun movie!

I'm tired of reading the judgmental reviews of some parents of this film. I took my 8 and 11 year old daughters to see it. The PG13 rating comes from "implied" sexual situations (re: someone got pregnant 20 years ago after sleeping around with 3 men in a short period of time and had a baby out of wedlock. That child is now 20 and about to marry). This movie is all about the music and it is great! I haven't had so much fun at a movie EVER! My daughters have seen and heard worse on TV commercials! I am quite old-fashioned but not so much to think that they don't know about kids born out of wedlock. Forget your prudish judgements about mistakes people may have made and just enjoy this movie, the soundtrack, the sing-along, etc. The implied situations will go right over the heads of young kids and they will love the music.
Adult Written byChewbacca January 13, 2009

WONDERFUL

Don't walk, but RUN TO THIS MOVIE. It is great, very light hearted and a total entertaining movie !! Great music and the acting is great too.
Adult Written bySettingXSail January 11, 2009

Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009

Adult Written bystacymavros April 9, 2008

Great fun! Audience was singing along!

Starts a bit slow and somewhat hoaky but picks up in fun--by the end the audience was laughing and singing along out loud! I went with a girlfriend and we loved it! Some questionable lines including drug use/alcohol and references to blatant promiscuity but for kids older than 15-16 I think it is still a ton of fun. I have not as of yet been a fan of musical films....this one changed my mind! Meryl Streep is a genuis--every female character in this movie is stellar. Pierce Brosnan maybe shouldn't sing but what the heck--the whole package was great. Take all of your girlfriends and female relatives over the age of 15 to see this one...you will leave feeling happy, joyful and you'll want to sing/dance your way home!!!
Adult Written bymurphy.mom April 9, 2008

I love ABBA and sang all the way through the movie

I enjoyed the movie! I didn't think any of the singers were Awesome or anything. But it was very enjoyable! Not sure if i would take my 13 year old , just because of the content. 3 dads, not knowing which was the real one......that does promote a loose livestyle. other than that enjoyed the music!
Adult Written byBabushka April 9, 2008

Fun For Moms & Daughters 12 & up!!!!

At first my daughter drags me to this movie,Thinking I would be bored No way my daughter and I had such a good time ! If you want to get a little closer to your preteen this is it! Toe tapping,singing have a ball fun.Now I went out and bought my daughter ABBAS greatest hits.Its better than listening to what they have on the radio.Plus you deal with situations with daughters and not so innocent single moms.Go see it you wont be sorry!!
Adult Written bytechsuz April 9, 2008

Not a true love story - another trashy Hollywood movie

I have read several reviews on this movie and caution that this is another example of a movie where Hollywood makes serious topics appear fun and exciting. Nudity and sexual crude humor. Why would any decent woman want to see this movie? Why would any gentleman agree to take a date to this movie? Save your money and do something positive and uplifting.
Adult Written byCOLESGRAMMY April 9, 2008

IT WAS A FUN MOVIE! WILL SEE IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!

IT MADE YOU LAUGHT, AFTER THE MOVIE WAS OVER EVERYONE CLAPPED, AND SAID GREAT MOVIE!!!!! IT WAS!!!!!! THANKS AGAIN TON AND RETA, GOOD JOB!!!!!!
Adult Written bypreganz April 9, 2008

You wonder what is wrong with America

I really cannot believe people and Christians that feel this thing is alright... I think sexual innuendos is the first stage to more pregnancy... Where are parents?
Adult Written byenaid April 9, 2008