All member reviews for Man of Steel

Superman's back in brooding, action-packed reboot.

Adult Written byDaBoysMama June 14, 2013

Too Long, Too Dark....Too Bad

Super-sized disappointment for my 11 year old son. He had always loved the hero, but had to dig through the darkness in this particular rendition to even begin enjoy his triumph. No, there's not a lot of blood and gore...but the body count, for anyone who's paying attention, was seriously over-the-top. Really, Mr. Snyder? We're not supposed to notice the millions who die as skyscrapers full of people crumble to the ground because three minor characters survive the destruction of Metropolis? Repetitively, in the last third of the movie, hero and villain crash together amid cataclysmic explosions and primal screams...and at some point, it just gets old. Too bad, we really wanted to like this one.
Adult Written byJEDI micah June 14, 2013

BEST.....SUPERMAN........EVER!!!

The most powerful superhero in the universe...is back!!! And he has never looked so awesome than before! Man of Steel is definitely the best Superman movie ever! Excellent cast members, simple good vs evil story, and breath-taking special effects - there is probably not one person out there that would refuse to see this! This is very unlike the old Superman films, but that's ok. Cause this one beats all of them! Some moments could be intense and scary for some young kids, so this is best saved for teens. Once again, BEST SUPERMAN EVER!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd June 14, 2013

easily and without a doubt better than the boring 2006 movie superman returns

It's a really good movie even if your not the biggest fan of superman but however I would have given it a higher score if there wasn't any completely unnecessary language in it(Granted it's not frequent which is great but it's still there unfortunently)
Educator and Parent Written byHoosier Mama of two July 2, 2013

WAY too violent!

Super super violent! It felt like 911 re-enacted at times in addition to hand to hand combat that includes twisting people's necks on two occasions. Are we so desensitized to violence that we are OK with 12 and 13 year olds being exposed to this level of chaos and destruction? I had to cover my eyes most of the time. The violent scenes went on forever! Too bad since the acting and story line were quite good!
Parent Written byMommy of Four June 15, 2013

Loved how clean it was!

FINALLY! A super hero movie without sexual content! My kids are able to handle PG 13 violence, but I always had to watch Iron Man and X Men alone and fast forward scenes for my kids. As a Christian mom, this is the first super hero movie that I've felt completely comfortable letting my kids (9, 13, 14) watch the whole way through. There was one preview that had 1 second of sexual suggestion. I know other people are mentioning little things like kissing and butt slapping, but they were so minor. Other than that, we LOVED this movie! Henry Cavill was charming! And the fight scenes were so much FUN!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byMaw2 June 21, 2013

Disrespectful or not?

Good review above except you totally missed the part about all the references to deity. The constant comparisons of this man of steel to the Savior was disgusting. I was offended by the movie comparing the two. The fact that The MofS made sure we all knew he is 33 and that he had come to save mankind. He had come for a special purpose and on and on.. I did not like it and I think it gave everyone the idea the Christ was just another fictitious super hero. I also remember when Christopher Reeves once said I never drink alcohol I do not tell lies etc he was still of Good Moral Character, and a great example for young people to follow and try to emulate . But in this one the mofs was seen drinking beer and watching the games just another way of bringing him down to the level of most common natural men. Not an outstanding example. It was confusing and degrading.
Kid, 11 years old September 18, 2014

Very good movie but no humor

this movie is awesome they did have some swearing like s--t a-- a--hole crap a--wipe d--k d--ksplash b---h h--l d--n someone uses f--k without the letters filled in, but i have seen alot worse language in a pg-13 movie. there isn't anything sexual only some flirting and kissing violence. includes some destruction and action etc. My ratting intense sequences of sci-fi violence, action, destruction and for brief language
Teen, 15 years old Written byRhian De Questa July 28, 2013

You can save them - after you kill some of them

Had so much potential, and ended up being terrible. While Henry Caville did a good job portraying Superman, the rest of the cast with the exception of Russell Crowe didn't live up to the expectations of the audience. The entire movie was full of massive plot sinkholes, and while the start-stop action sequences of Antje Traoue's Faora Ul were cool, there was too much explosion - I was sitting close to the movie screen, and quite surprised that I didn't go blind every time a truck or building or spaceship or person or airplane of house exploded - which is just about every two minutes. The biggest problem for me besides the acting and the plot sinkholes was Jor-El's plaintive statement "You can save them Cal, you can save all of them" - in a near following scene, in a fit of rage Cal smashes through eight buildings, killing Lord knows how many people just because Zod punched his mother. The main villain was dry and tasteless, and while he can survive being sucked up by a black hole and I-beams and trucks thrown at him, he dies from a simple neck snap that he should have gotten a long time ago from being thrown through buildings. Zod's redeeming quality is his relationship with his Captain Faora-Ul, who's crying at the destruction of Krypton was relatively heart-rending, but still didn't make us like her as much as the Romulan Nero from Star Trek, who had a similar experience, or the family-deprived Khan from the sequel. My overall verdict is that they tried too hard to make it a good action movie, and they overachieved, which made it a pretty bad movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byElakho July 1, 2013

Spectacular Movie, albeit voilent

Christopher Nolan (Dark Knight Trilogy) and Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) deliver a fun, fast paced movie that won't disappoint. If you came for a superhero movie, you expectations will be fulfilled. Is the movie on par with Nolan's The Dark Knight? No. That doesn't stop it from being an amazing movie, even if 12-14 year olds might enjoy it more. The thing that stops it from earning the full five stars is the violence. I really enjoy a good fight scene in a movie, but the sheer scale of every single fight somewhat took away from the climatic effect of Kal-El's confrontation with Zod. They aren't intense, gore-filled cringe-fests, just the exchanging of super-punches that tend to make surrounding building look like dominoes. Other than that, if you're not sure, watch it. It's hard to go wrong with this one, and no matter what, you won't fall asleep in the theater.
Kid, 10 years old June 15, 2013

Suppppeeerrrrmaaaaaannnnn to the rescue!!!!!

This movie is awesome! I just saw this movie today with my dad. I usually hate superman movies, but this one is great. There is some violence including people getting hit, kicked, punched etc. 2 people's necks get broken with crunching noises. There also is a lot of destruction. I did hear some language. This movie has a lot of positive role models though. I would not recommend this film to kids under 9
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

Disappointing but not a complete disaster

Violence- 3 (Action violence the whole way through)
Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck July 16, 2014

DC did good with this movie.

CAUTION: SPOILERS! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! Lots of action and a tiny bit of humor. Okay story. Good acting. Awesome CGI! Superman is not a great role model in this movie. That was very surprising. I usually don't cover consumerism in movies, but this was flooded with product placement. It annoys me that Superman was shown drinking beer. TONS OF PEOPLE DIE! The city is pretty much destroyed in the end. Superman eventually snaps Zod's neck. Thanks Superman, you couldn't have done that before at least millions of people died and the city's destroyed. Overall, DC's best movie so far.
Kid, 10 years old July 10, 2014

sucks

so not a sucess.
Kid, 11 years old May 26, 2014

Man of Steel

It was amazing, but it wasn't enough to make me watch it again. My MPAA Rating: Rated PG-13: For Intense Sequences Of Action Violence Throughout, Strong Language, Destruction, and some Sensuality.
Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 18, 2014

Great movie

For language hell ,da-- and one sh-t. For violence superman was forced to kill the bad guy. For sex just a kiss. So it's appropriate for 9 up ,and if you can't handle this stuff then let them see it.
Kid, 11 years old April 27, 2014

It's really super, man!

awesome!!! :)
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2013

BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER!

This was the best superhero movie but there are some scary clips in the movie that may scare little kids but the end is epic and the action clips are so good but it is a very long movie for little kids but it did not scare me !
Parent Written byShivom Oza July 14, 2013

Man Of Steel (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – Just Falls Short Of ‘Super’

Every superhero franchise has gotten an overhaul ever since Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises) tasted success. This time, it's Superman's turn. 300 and Watchmen director Zack Snyder is at the helm of this story, co-written by David S. Goyer and Nolan. The trailer of Man Of Steel has generated a lot of hype among the audiences. Let's see if the film is worth all of it! Man Of Steel gets a lot of things right. It mixes up the dark elements (which we associate with the recent Batman films) within the commercial space wonderfully. The screenplay and the dialogues are also a good mix of cheesy and hard-hitting. Where the film falters is the length, the casting of the principal villain Zod and the never-ending, repetitive final face-off between Superman and his nemeses. However, it is a fine film. Trailer flattered to deceive a little bit, but then you all are going to watch it anyway. So, I must stop the ranting. As planet Krypton is nearing destruction, Jor-El (Russell Crowe) and Lara Lor-Van (Ayelet Zurer), send their biological son, Kal-El (Henry Cavill), to Earth to carry their race forward. While Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van do face resistance from Krypton's military commander, General Zod (Michael Shannon) (who has now turned hostile, and planned a coup against the establishment), Kal-El does get transported to Earth eventually. Zod, along with his team of mercenaries, is caught, and is sentenced to spend all eternity in the Phantom Zone, an eternal living void. Kal-El, who finds himself in a different environment altogether, struggles to adapt to the human world during his childhood. However, while growing up (with the name given by his adopted parents Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner) and Martha Kent (Diane Lane), Clark Kent), he realizes the significance of the superpowers that he has been bequeathed from his place of origin. Kal-El/Clark Kent is rechristened once more (SUPERMAN!), when he puts on his suit, and readies to wage a battle against Zod, who successfully managed to escape the Phantom Zone. The first-half of the film (setting of the basic premise, the marvellous special effects in the Krypton sequence, Kal-El inadvertently showing-off his superpowers, the wonderful conversations between him and his adopted father, the introduction of Amy Adams, and to top-it-up Hans Zimmer's enchanting score) is terrific. The film, especially in the first hour-and-a-half, wonderfully balances out the quirkiness of a commercial superhero film and the seriousness of a coming-of-age story. It is in the latter half, when the film really begins to drag. The final face-off, involving a lot of hand-to-hand combat and innumerable explosions, between Superman and his nemeses lasts for almost an hour. While the action and the special effects are brilliant, the repetitiveness of this never-ending last act does mar the impact, a trifle! The dialogues of the film, especially the ones involving Kal-El and his two fathers (biological and adopted), are well-written and performed. Watch out for those scenes! The highlight of the film is our superhero's bravado! There's a scene in which Zod is threatening Kal-El's adopted mother Martha. At this point, the man in the blue suit swoops in and beats the evil commander up to smithereens, while warning him to not threaten his mother. For the lack of a better word, such scenes are absolutely filmy, and manage to keep your interest alive! The one major downside to the film is the runtime. With a shorter duration, the film could have been much better. Not bereft of flaws, but entertaining enough. Shivom Oza
Kid, 10 years old July 14, 2013

Loud and exciting reboot delivers

The main thing to know about this movie is that it is VERY loud. There was some language including "d**k", "a*s", "s**t", and "hell" but it wasn't too serious. There were lots of over the top fight scenes and explosions. The acting was good and the vfx were great. I think this movie is under rated and that it deserves the title "The Last Son of Krypton".
Kid, 10 years old July 7, 2013

Man Of Steel

Man of Steel is a great movie!It is how he landed on earth and met Lois Lane and gets a job at the chronicle,and battles Zod.Some scenes were scary,so,i would say 12+,but unlike CSM,I would not give it iffy for ten or eleven.violence and language being the biggest issue,there is no drinking that i saw,and sex is limited too kisses,Superman is ''Hot'' says a woman,and a crude remark from Lois Lane about male testicles.language is intermediate,and the slang for male testicles is probably the worst it gets.I would recommend it!It's very good and a whole new story.