All member reviews for Mansfield Park

Wonderful book adaptation with strong female protagonist.

Parent of a 11, 14, and 16 year old Written bycmdfamily January 19, 2014

Commonsensemedia Dropped the Ball

I rely heavily on this website to determine whether or not a show is appropriate for my kids and teens to watch. I am shocked to find the inaccuracy of this review! It describes a scene where a couple is 'walked in on' while they are in bed together. It says that it shows skin on skin, but no specific body parts are shown. Absolutely false! The woman's breasts are in full view! And although the scene only lasts for a few seconds, you can see the man 'moving' on top of her. I don't watch R rated shows, so I immediately got off the movie to double check the rating...it's only PG-13 and I'm not sure how they can get away with a scene like that in a show that they deem appropriate for teens. From one careful parent to another...be warned!
Parent Written byPeriodMovieLover January 3, 2012

Very sensual scene and violence toward slaves that did not need to be there

Firstly the violence toward slaves was sickening. I know so many atrocities happened, it is painful to watch. And the intimate scene that is walked in on in this movie left little to the imagination. It was much more than I would want my 13 year old to see. It was not a comfortable thing to have displayed on the screen for me or for my children. We love period movies at out house and are seeing more and more sensuality in these movies. One of the benefits to this genre has always been enjoyable stories with pretty clean depictions. Sadly this is not the case so much anymore. Sweet innocent kisses are one thing, but seeing what goes on behind closed doors is another. I have been criticized by other reviewers before for not appreciating the sensuality in movies and so be it. To each his or her own. But, I appreciate it so much when others review things and let me know what is in them.
Parent Written byKgiustini February 15, 2014

There is a sex scene with bare breasts and the man is thrusting. It may be brief, but definitely inappropriate Also, graphic pictures of slaves being raped and tortured. Didn't want that stuck in my mind either.
Adult Written byjoami September 24, 2014

True to Book, but Not for Kids

This is not a family film, if you want to see a family appropriate Mansfield Park i'd go with Masterpiece Theater. Aside from the sex scene the scene that was really disturbing for me was how graphic the sketches were of women being raped and forced to have oral sex. I'm usually not for censorship but when it comes to rape I think images of any kind is too much.
Adult Written byQuietTiger January 31, 2014

Unexpected Nudity

In an unexpected bedroom scene, we see the bare breasts of a women engaged in sexual activity. Definitely not deserving of a PG-13 rating. Other than that, the movie is decent.
Parent of a 7, 9, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written bypinkfrenchgirl December 30, 2011

Slave Rape gets two lips on the sex scale?

I am really surprised that the main review didn't mention the drawings of the rapes of the slaves... it is violent, explicit, and vile (if accurate and portrayed in a condemning light). I think it's important for the movie, and I don't fault the movie so much, but it's definitely TMI for my kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysmileyfacelover September 18, 2010

I love this movie!!!! The only part is the scene when the dude is sick. There is a book of drawings that have some sexual and violence towards slaves and it's disturbing. Other than that, amazing!!
Parent of a 16 year old Written byJane Austen fan August 23, 2009